shape
carat
color
clarity

NSC and JD - my violet sapph in a halo

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been on the hunt for a violet sapphire or spinel for a few years now. I wanted as saturated as possible, good mix between blue and purple. HARD. TO. FIND. Some were beyond my budget, some were the right colour but poorly cut (and too expensive to risk a recut on), some I missed out on when I was sleeping (before those in different time zones were helping me look). Mostly, I just came up against lack of availability. I bought some tanzanites along the way, hoping they would scratch the itch, but ultimately moved most on, scared I'd set them then give them a good whack and crack them (I can be quite clumsy, even though I try to be careful).

Then, I found this little cushion. It's not big (1.60 ct, 6.56L x 6.27W x 4.65H), and it's from the Natural Sapphire Company. Yep. I know they don't always get great reviews here, and I've gotten annoyed in the past whenever I see a thread asking about them, and I know it will inevitably be the person's first post ever on PS (i.e. spam), but I honestly had a great experience with them. The customer service was excellent, the woman I dealt with (Caitlyn) answered all of my questions thoroughly and quickly, shipping was fast, with a nice presentation, and they were willing to get a GIA cert for free (here's where I might get some flack, as I didn't end up getting a cert - it involved shipping the stone back across the border with some fairly complicated instructions, and I got lazy). Anyway, it's apparently unheated. There is a fairly large inclusion/pit on the pavilion, that I could see face up when the stone was loose, but only off to the side and if I looked hard, at certain angles, in certain lighting. I haven't noticed it at all since being set.

I sent the stone to Jeff Davies to set. This is my second setting from Jeff, and I'm very happy with both.

The stone doesn't really cooperate for pictures. My phone seems to often erase the purple aspect, or puts it in as a weird zoning thing. IRL, it shifts between an even, purplish blue (outdoors) and bluish purple (indoors). Sometimes, it's that perfect, tanzanite-looking, "blurple" (to quote a friend). Caitlyn rated it an 8/10 for saturation, which I would agree with overall. Good enough for me! (Though if a precision cut, higher saturated one within budget ever comes up, I'm grabbing it, too! :Up_to_something: :D )

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

_20041.jpg

_20042.jpg

_20043.jpg

_20044.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like you can see the inclusion in that first pic, at 9-10:00.

A few more...

_20045.jpg

_20046.jpg

_20047.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous color and ring!!! :love: :love: :love:
I love everything about it! But OMG that color is TDF. Violet Sapphire. Seriously :love:
Wear in health and happiness. :appl:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
What a dreamy stone and gorgeous ring! Something I've been dreaming about for a long time. Great find. :twirl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous color -- saturated & just plain interesting to look at. Jeff did you proud with the setting too! Super all around. :appl:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Wow, nice! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
That is gorgeous. I never was much of a halo girl, but my mind is changing.

BTW, a co-worker of mine is looking for something just like that. Wanna sell it?? :naughty: :lol:

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
That's a lovely, lovely ring! Perfect violet color. :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So lovely NKOTB! I'm glad you're happy with it!

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, yeah, say what you will about NSC, but there's no denying how gorgeous that stone is. :appl:

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
NKOTB;

Now that is a very lovely gem and ring... Tasteful elegance... Bravo :appl: on such a lovely piece of jewelry that will last generations..

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG
Certified Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
That really is absolutely beautiful :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful! I love the color!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BEAUTIFUL! I can see why it was a difficult search to find, but now you get to reap the rewards! Congrats!

FireMonkey

Shiny_Rock
That color is simply amazing! Enjoy it!

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
I really love that ring! so beautiful.

I must ask though.. what is the ring 2nd down on your little stack there. *curious*

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, missy, mariedtiger, JF, Andelain, indigoblue (sorry, NFS! ;-) , and yes! Cooooommmme to the haaaaaloooo siiiiide), VirginiaZee, Freke, GregS, Dana, desk jockey, packrat, endless summer, and FireMonkey!

Thanks, MrsCornishWed - the other rings in the stack are a spinel ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cool-silvery-blue-green-spinel.195691/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cool-silvery-blue-green-spinel.195691/[/URL]) in a DanielM setting, and a purple sapphire from Finewater in a Tacori setting. I wasn't actually intending that pic for the thread, just wanted to take it to see how the stones would compare on my camera (which is just an iPhone), but then thought it was an okay shot to show the colour difference.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes!!!! What fabulous color!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
That color is so delicious!! Spectacular!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! They said it... an absolute punch of colour. Enjoy! :appl:

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
It's so pretty! I love the halo with the plain shank.
(The others are nothing to sneeze at either.)

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, derbygal, rosebloom, and starzin! texaskj, I debated between diamonds on the shank, and no diamonds, but went with plain shank to a) be different than most of my other rings, and b) be a little more "casual" for daily wear. ;-) There's a silver spinel hiding at the back of the stack, I should have turned it around. As I said, not really a well planned shot...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to stop in and comment on how gorgeous everything turned out colors, halo shank everything. I really like the split plain shank and the halo look. Its gorgeous all around. Jeff did a fantastic job, his workmanship looks wonderful. I have been thinking of using Jeff for a project myself and this ring is an inspiration :love:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T|1404955971|3710146 said:
I had to stop in and comment on how gorgeous everything turned out colors, halo shank everything. I really like the split plain shank and the halo look. Its gorgeous all around. Jeff did a fantastic job, his workmanship looks wonderful. I have been thinking of using Jeff for a project myself and this ring is an inspiration :love:

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your project, I'm a fan of your stuff! :) The only thing with Jeff is, you have to ship your stone to Thailand. Can be a bit nerve wracking, but can also be worth it.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Wonderful hue on the stone, a nice open color!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done NKOTB! That stone is a stunner and Jeff did a great job setting it in that beautiful setting! Very happy for you.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful COLOR!

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
That is a yummy blue sapphire IMO; when viewed under fluorescent light indoor the purple tends to show up which is typical with Sri Lanka origin and when snapped with phone camera, the camera does tend to leave the purple out. :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have the problem with iphones over-saturating with blue. It drives me crazy. I can only imagine how gorgeously violet-purple this is in real life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results