shape
carat
color
clarity

Will Yellow Gold prongs dim the brilliance of my diamond?

dollyparton

Rough_Rock
Hello! My fiancé blew me away with this ring, but either the jeweler didn't listen, or didn't know I wanted a gold ring. I wear mixed metal pieces daily, and love the contrasting look of gold on diamonds. While I think switching the prongs to yellow gold will look beautiful, my fiancé and friends have told me it will make the stone look less bright. While I disagree (the stone looks colorless to me, and at 1.5 carat there's way more stone than prongs), I don't really know if gold prongs will make the stone's flaws more noticeable. I did my best to capture the inclusions, you can only see them if you hold it up an inch away from your eye, and even then, it just looks dusty. What do you all think?
IMG_0033.PNG IMG_0035.PNG
Cert is an EGL (yeah, yeah I know)
IMG_9744.JPG IMG_9743.JPG

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Congratulations! I am not a fan of yellow gold prongs and think it is beautiful just the way it is. Yellow gold will draw the eye to the prongs rather than allow them to blend into your lovely stone.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love two tone settings, but if I'm mixing metals I prefer the shank to be yellow and the prongs to be of a white metal, for the reasons Redwood stated. It wouldn't horrify me if they were in yellow, but personally think your ring looks beautiful the way it is!

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Your fiance did awesome!!
I would leave your beautiful ring as is ~ I like white prongs because they sort of disappear and all you see is the diamond. You have the best of both worlds in my opinion with the 2 tone setting and can wear any color wedding band with your e-ring.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
During my very, very short time on this forum, I think some have mentioned that getting yellow prongs (or yellow gold in general) is alright if your stones are in the warmer color palate.
Otherwise, it seems that having yellow next to your cooler color diamond might dull that shine.

Your FI did well. Your ring is definitely gorgeous! Congrats!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would always have white metal prongs no matter what metal the shank is made in. You don't want yellow reflection from the prongs in the diamond, and honestly, it just wouldn't look right at all on this ring.

A two-tone watch is a great way to help one mix metals in the jewelry they wear.

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s an over exaggeration of how much prongs change the color of a near colorless well cut round diamond.
F3EC5E30-51B3-4F1C-A946-B9F5B724CFE0.jpeg
6BE9D96E-AFDE-4B8C-86E0-007E323A95D1.jpeg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Niel that the diamond's color will not be changed by the prongs, but the appearance of the ring when you first glance at it will be. You have to decide what you like: a white face or a ring where the gold stands out. Do you want to emphasize the diamond or the gold?

I have a diamond set in a 24K gold bezel setting. One notices the diamond less when he first looks at that ring than when he first looks at my diamond solitaire set with tiny platinum prongs.

Deb/AGBF

dollyparton

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone :D

Thanks, Niel! I agree with you, and while my gut says the diamond is too bright and sparkly to ever look yellow, I don't know if the jeweler deliberately chose white prongs to hide its flaws. I kind of think they just went with white since that's the "standard" these days.

AGBF that's a good question! I do want the gold to stand out, or at least be noticeable. Here's the wedding set I want, minus the top band:
525b963f97ae91ec64595084ff244b44.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks, Niel! I agree with you, and while my gut says the diamond is too bright and sparkly to ever look yellow, I don't know if the jeweler deliberately chose white prongs to hide its flaws. I kind of think they just went with white since that's the "standard" these days.

AGBF that's a good question! I do want the gold to stand out, or at least be noticeable. Here's the wedding set I want, minus the top band:

I think that’s fab and your stone could handle those prongs, in my opinion.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dollyparton-

Setting a ring with gold prongs like that frankly never even occurred to me, but I think that the set you pictured above is just beautiful! Thank you for the new idea!

Deb :wavey:

PS-Niel-Is that your ring in your icon? If so, where can I see it on Pricescope?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love a great big white diamond in yellow prongs. I love the contrast and the look. If the diamond is a lower color, the yellow actually makes the diamond look whiter by comparison. I once set a very light natural fancy blue diamond in a yellow gold ring and the difference in the apparent depth of the blue was stunning.

All preferences in jewelry are dependent on personal taste and what you like may be different than what others like.

Personally, I find the look of the ring you shared with us to be absolutely delicious. Of course, I came into the business in an era when 90 to 95% of the jewelry sold was yellow gold.

Wink

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your ring! It looks great. My studs are in yellow gold and I don’t think it detracts from the appearance of the stones at all.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I think this is lovely, but you’d have to redo the prongs to be sharp, perfect claws like this one. Otherwise, if you change the current prongs to yellow gold, they’ll stand out a lot and maybe not really in a good way. I do think this set is lovely and unique and would maybe suit you better than the one you have. It is so elegant.

If the inclusions currently don’t bother you and you don’t plan on looking at your diamond from an inch away all the time, the yellow gold shouldn’t make them suddenly pop out visually. Again, I can’t guarantee that because all diamonds are different with different inclusions, but I’m under the impression that gold colors are more relevant to changing the appearance of diamond color, not so much with the inclusions.

Also nothing wrong with EGL if you know exactly what you bought and are perfectly happy with the diamond. Might even get a bit of a price bump if you purchased EGL and you are happy with the color that you can see, inclusions and performance.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think this is lovely, but you’d have to redo the prongs to be sharp, perfect claws like this one. Otherwise, if you change the current prongs to yellow gold, they’ll stand out a lot and maybe not really in a good way.

This!

The squarish prongs you have on your current setting would not be so attractive in all yellow gold. The all yellow gold set you love is beautiful. If that is what your heart is set on, then that is what you should get because it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You are the one wearing it for the rest of your life.

Oh, and yeah - as you can see from my avatar I'm quite partial to all yellow gold on some settings!

Let us know what you decide.

dollyparton

Rough_Rock
I think this is lovely, but you’d have to redo the prongs to be sharp, perfect claws like this one. Otherwise, if you change the current prongs to yellow gold, they’ll stand out a lot and maybe not really in a good way. I do think this set is lovely and unique and would maybe suit you better than the one you have. It is so elegant.

If the inclusions currently don’t bother you and you don’t plan on looking at your diamond from an inch away all the time, the yellow gold shouldn’t make them suddenly pop out visually. Again, I can’t guarantee that because all diamonds are different with different inclusions, but I’m under the impression that gold colors are more relevant to changing the appearance of diamond color, not so much with the inclusions.

Also nothing wrong with EGL if you know exactly what you bought and are perfectly happy with the diamond. Might even get a bit of a price bump if you purchased EGL and you are happy with the color that you can see, inclusions and performance.

Thanks for the advice, definitely want claw prongs :)

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This!

The squarish prongs you have on your current setting would not be so attractive in all yellow gold. The all yellow gold set you love is beautiful. If that is what your heart is set on, then that is what you should get because it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You are the one wearing it for the rest of your life.

Oh, and yeah - as you can see from my avatar I'm quite partial to all yellow gold on some settings!

Let us know what you decide.

I third this! Yellow, delicate claw prongs would look amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results