shape
carat
color
clarity

Will this stone fit in this ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SparkleRx

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have had a ring setting (no stone) for a few years now and finally am getting around to setting it. The original write-up for the ring said it can hold an approx 7.5mm x 5.5mm oval stone. I found a cut stone that is 6.6mm x 5.3mm.

I have measured the ring and these are the measurments (not sure if this will help):

OUTSIDE OF PRONGS - 6.86mm x 6.02mm
INSIDE OF PRONGS - 4.51mm x 3.69mm
OUTLINE OF RING OVAL - 7.16mm x 5.50mm (this is when I look head-on down the ring where the stone would be and see the oval outline)

I have looked at other oval ring settings on here and notice that a lot of ovals have a lot of "hang-over" stone past the prongs (unlike a round stone that fits inside all prongs). I think if I set this ring with this stone the prongs on all sides would almost line up with the outer edge of the oval stone.

I don''t want to pay extra to take the existing prongs off, buff it out, put new prongs in - but I really like this stone and today is the last day it is being offered at a lower price.

Can this smaller stone be set in this ring? Not sure how close to the recommended write-up size I need to be.

I can try to post a pic if my measurements don''t make sense.

Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really I think it''s best to take both the stone and the setting to a jeweler to make the determination. So hard for us to estimate online.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 2:39:27 PM
Author: neatfreak
Really I think it''s best to take both the stone and the setting to a jeweler to make the determination. So hard for us to estimate online.
Ditto, I agree that would be best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results