shape
carat
color
clarity

Will the Dahlia setting work with this diamond?

Switch the setting?

• Dahlia all 18k Yellow

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dahlia two tone, yellow head w/ white band

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Keep the halo

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I’m afraid I come across scatter-brained, this is something I started considering before I had the prongs fixed on my halo.

The Dahlia is my dream setting, I have loved it since I first joined. In particular I like this iteration made by DK:

09818ABE-207A-45B9-9BCA-FB42067C971F.jpeg
Photo credit to D&T

Now I have this OMC and I was thinking it might be perfect for the Dahlia as the yellow gold head would really compliment the diamond. Wondering thought if an OMC will work in this setting with the high crown? It is pretty round so that’s a plus because that’s not always the case with this cut. Also it is 6.5mm so it be probably the smallest diamond put into this setting to date.

DA15A3E9-55BE-48AE-8B7D-DA3242746675.jpeg

I would also obviously be losing the contrast with the halo. I’ve already been in contact with DK so now it’s just a matter of deciding what to do.

I’m slightly worried that this brownish yellow OMC will look off without some sort of white contrast but I learned that it absolutely has to be in a yellow gold head otherwise it looks terrible.

Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated. The poll only has three options because of the Dahlia won’t work then I’m just going to stick with what I have.

Here is a pic of the stone head on:

4D0BF773-FF23-4E51-BD43-D0F9A9D1E19B.jpeg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
at 6.5mm you might want to do 6 petals instead of 8 but a flower basket setting would still work imho.

my ER is a flower basket solitaire with a yellow diamond and i do sometimes wish i had the contrast with white melee or sidestones but overall i really like the look of the solitaire and worry a little less about damaging it with a clumsy move than i would with a halo.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bludiva, thank you for your thoughts, Reducing the number of petals is a great suggestion. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked the 2 - tone but I think solid yellow would be fine too. The 2 tone adds a little more interest if you ask me.
I also like the setting its in though!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the dahlia setting as well. I chose keep the halo. Reason being the coverage. You know I’m a coverage ‘ho (:lol:) and I need it for my big knuckles. Either way, the dahlia is gorgeous!! But so is the halo...
I’m no help at all. I’m sorry!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 right, this is my struggle too, I actually like the halo. When I bought the ring I wasn’t really sure about the setting and thought of it more as temporary. Turns out I like it more than I anticipated. I believe you have a setting made by David right?

If memory serves isn’t it a bezel setting with an octagon halo? Sorry if I have you mixed up with someone else but that setting is another favorite of mine.

@Slick1, that’s a definite concern, losing the finger coverage, especially because I don’t have small fingers.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the 2-tone halo as you know. I think it will look amazing

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada Would you consider going to the original designer rather than having an inspired-by made by someone else? Her pricing is generally very reasonable, and more importantly she's an artist first and foremost so she'd be an excellent person to help you decide how best to accentuate your stone (metal colours and component delineations, potentially incorporating halos, etc.).

For anyone who isn't familiar with the Dahlia - this is Caysie van Bebber's original design, listed here on her Etsy store. She's since made several variants of her design.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As one who has a couple of low color stones, I can tell you I vastly prefer a contrasting halo. I would not set a very low color stone in a solitaire. Like Yssie, I think no one does that setting better than Caysie, but I still think a halo is a better idea for your stone. If you want a new setting, I'd explore halo designs.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie, I appreciate what you are saying with this being a CVB design. There was a comment made in another thread that gives me serious pause about working with her as her communication and reliability were called into question.

That said it seems like this diamond will be better off with a halo anyways so I will probably need to look into a completely different design or just leave it the way it is.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006, I’m glad I started the thread then because I don’t want to make an expensive mistake. If I’m changing a setting I want to make sure I get it right the first time. Thanks for weighing in!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs, I think no matter what I need two tone because this stone will get swallowed up in an all yellow setting. It looks like I need to switch gears though because a solitaire may not be the best bet for this diamond.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you prefer to play up the yellow in the stone? Play up the brown? Mute both as much as possible?

If the stone looks phenomenal in YG, do you think a yellow diamond halo would be flattering?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it was Tyty’s ring I was thinking of, I’m not usually into bezels but I love this. I wouldn’t copy this ring but if the bezel was yellow gold with the octagon halo being white would that be more complementary to this diamond? Trying to get ideas since I think changing directions is the way to go.

71331996-CC59-4407-A9EA-6EC2A4C20DDE.jpeg
Photo Credit to Tyty333

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you prefer to play up the yellow in the stone? Play up the brown? Mute both as much as possible?

If the stone looks phenomenal in YG, do you think a yellow diamond halo would be flattering?

I prefer to bring out the yellow, this diamond looks very different depending on the lighting. It can go from a light yellow to a very saturated yellow brown in direct lighting.

I’m not opposed to a yellow diamond halo but wouldn’t I have to worry about matching the yellow diamonds to this one?

I am really a noob at this.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That inspiration is beautiful!!!

So... I wouldn't want to mix OMC + engraving + white melee face-up, I don't think. That's just a lot going on in one visual. But if you go the double bezel/halo route you have lots of options! Could leave the inner (yellow) plain/brushed and engrave the outer, leave the inner plain and use white melee in the outer...

And since your stone is a vintage you have options to play up the romance, too, with a non-traditional outer...

Two rings I love from The Gemstone Project -
1617913486506.png
1617913594745.png

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe make a list of your must haves and can’t haves. What about this halo doesn’t work for you? What do you envision being the ultimate ‘dress’ for her!
Personally I adore this!!! Credit to @msop04 !

Edited to add pic
DF13F465-7BA2-449F-9882-382A94693857.png

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Similar to the last one posted, here is one of my rings where the yellowish stone is in a yg bezel and the outer halo is white metal and diamonds for contrast. This is a CVB design called Casablanca (and I always had an excellent experience working with her because I didn't worry about the timeframe). My daughter has the same design with 6 scallops with a 1 ct center.

I think your stone would best be in a regular bezel like the one above since it looks a little out of round.

IMG_3463(Edited).jpg

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Of your three poll options, I voted for keeping the halo, but after seeing @Slick1 and @diamondseeker2006 ‘s suggestions, I love best the idea of the YG bezel to play up the yellow in your stone, with WG or PT outer halo for the contrast! Gorgeous examples above.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I remember that ring of Msop’s, talk about gorgeous, that OEC is just amazing. I could see that working very nicely for mine thanks for the suggestion

@Slick1, I think I’m just looking in the long term of having a heavier setting in a higher karat. My current setting is 10k and light, when I bought this it was really for the diamond. So just looking to elevate the setting of that makes sense.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie, I forgot about TGP which I can’t believe because I have seen @natasha-cupcake’a creation from her with a pad sapphire in-person and it is amazing. Would a bezel significantly darken the diamond or is that less of a concern with a lower color like mine?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get it! I added that Msop suggestion because it’s always been one of my absolute faves on here!! I think that would suit and certainly will be durable and heavier! I had DK make a similar target setting and it was gorgeous!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006, your Casablanca is amazing, love everything about it. I believe Soxfan had one too, it is a gorgeous ring.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MiniMinerva, thanks, I think having a yellow bezel with an outer white halo might be the way to go. Although I initially said I would go Dahlia or leave it alone, it would be great to have the diamond and setting be of more equal quality.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie, I forgot about TGP which I can’t believe because I have seen @natasha-cupcake’a creation from her with a pad sapphire in-person and it is amazing. Would a bezel significantly darken the diamond or is that less of a concern with a lower color like mine?

I think a bezel could definitely change the tone and colour profile of the stone, but I'm thinking that's not necessarily a bad thing! A rich YG bezel, with a design that avoids fully encasing the pavilion... Your stone would probably lose any "coolness" (if it has any)... Rich and warm, autumn leaf colour...

I do definitely recommend working with someone with an art or design background. We've all seen colour handled poorly, but I think the difference between a piece that "acknowledges colour" and one that "embraces colour" can be quite dramatic!

This is nothing like what you're looking for, but just as an example of someone who uses colour to capture emotion inimitably compellingly - Michelle Ong:

1617915753976.png

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie those are amazing, how the different shades create such depth and dimension.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had an idea, thinking that maybe drawing inspiration from one of my existing rings would give me the best of both worlds.

This head with the bezel being yellow gold and keeping the scalloped flowery halo and the airline:

F27B7041-CB5B-4D3E-B83C-1C221DCB8224.jpeg

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
I love your ring as is! I think it's so pretty already, I don't see any of these settings as an improved look, but I understand if you want something sturdier. Your ring is very charming!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw thank you @AuntKiki, that is so nice of you to say.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results