shape
carat
color
clarity

Will I regret lab diamond projects?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I've been interested in lab diamond projects as I have an affinity to larger diamonds and lab ones make the projects more affordable.

Do you think I will regret these lab diamond projects in the future and wish I used earth mined diamonds? I can't justify spending over 5x at this time, but will my views change?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you regret them, you can sell them on ;-)

Even if you lose 50%, that 50% is a lot less to lose than 50% of a Mined diamond price!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it depends on your views on stones. I wouldn't ever regret lab stones, but I am not bothered by that stuff and think lab vs "natural" isn't an important distinction. But it just depends on you I think.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I go back and forth on this. I don’t own any lab diamonds but thinking about it for 2ctw earrings. But then I start thinking— well, if it’s person made, I should just stick with my CZ studs (which I get comments on allllll the time)— but at the same time, I don’t really care if one is lab vs nature made so I have no issue with lab diamonds. So my thinking is something like this— wow, these lab diamonds are thousands less than natural ones and then I go— but these CZs are hundreds less than these lab diamonds. And then I just go in a circle again. And for what it’s worth, I know lab diamonds are diamonds and are superior to CZ in terms of longevity and such but for some reason I just always compare them to each other.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I go back and forth on this. I don’t own any lab diamonds but thinking about it for 2ctw earrings. But then I start thinking— well, if it’s person made, I should just stick with my CZ studs (which I get comments on allllll the time)— but at the same time, I don’t really care if one is lab vs nature made so I have no issue with lab diamonds. So my thinking is something like this— wow, these lab diamonds are thousands less than natural ones and then I go— but these CZs are hundreds less than these lab diamonds. And then I just go in a circle again. And for what it’s worth, I know lab diamonds are diamonds and are superior to CZ in terms of longevity and such but for some reason I just always compare them to each other.

I do prefer lab diamonds over CZs due to their hardness, toughness, stability, and optical properties. I also need all of my jewelry to be platinum or 18K gold as my skin is very sensitive, and it didn't make sense for me to have CZs set in platinum! I took the plunge with lab diamonds when I got custom 2ct tw Lightbox diamond earrings made and love them so far!

I debated this for a long time and went with Lightbox because it was a significant savings over earth mined and to be honest, I donated the difference between the lab and earth mined diamonds to charitable causes in light of recent events. I just have a hard time justifying spending earth mined money on large diamonds (except for engagement ring).

I'm just not sure if I'll wish I had spent the extra money on earth mined in the future. I recently donated all of my non-fine jewelry to a local thrift shop, so I'm wondering if at some point in the future I'll feel similarly about lab diamonds. I know they are the same chemically, but for some reason, I still prefer earth mined due to the fact that they are one of nature's wonders...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I now own quite a few lab diamonds and I don’t think of them as any less than my mined diamonds. Just waaaay less expensive!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I don't even think of my moissy as less than my diamonds because I chose them each for what they are and for their specific projects. I would have no qualms about a lab vs mined...I might even like the lab more if I'm looking for a newer cut because it seems the more unique and environmentally friendly choice. My family is all nerdy engineer/science types so I think it is totally cool that we can replicate a real diamond!

And I like a bargain so that makes it even easier for me.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm struggling with this same issue. I really want a larger emerald cut diamond, but I'm concerned about spending so much money right now. The cost of the lab diamonds make them really appealing. I would just hate to spend thousands on something that may go way down in price. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I know that wasn't helpful....sorry.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I'm struggling with this same issue. I really want a larger emerald cut diamond, but I'm concerned about spending so much money right now. The cost of the lab diamonds make them really appealing. I would just hate to spend thousands on something that may go way down in price. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I know that wasn't helpful....sorry.

From a "value" stand point, I'd feel most comfortable buying Lightbox or Vrai lab diamonds as they are the cheapest per carat, with 1ct as the sweet spot for greatest value until they launch larger carats.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From a "value" stand point, I'd feel most comfortable buying Lightbox or Vrai lab diamonds as they are the cheapest per carat, with 1ct as the sweet spot for greatest value until they launch larger carats.

That makes a lot of sense. I was thinking of getting something in the 2.50 carat range through Distinctive Gem. Maybe I should try something smaller first.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
That makes a lot of sense. I was thinking of getting something in the 2.50 carat range through Distinctive Gem. Maybe I should try something smaller first.

I haven't heard of Distinctive Gem. If I was going to buy a larger lab diamond, I'd probably buy from James Allen, so you may want to check them out too! I think the upgrade policy still qualifies for lab diamonds so if you decide later on that you want to "upgrade" to an earth mined, you probably can as long as it is 2x the price!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't heard of Distinctive Gem. If I was going to buy a larger lab diamond, I'd probably buy from James Allen, so you may want to check them out too! I think the upgrade policy still qualifies for lab diamonds so if you decide later on that you want to "upgrade" to an earth mined, you probably can as long as it is 2x the price!

Distinctive Gem is the company formerly known as August Vintage. :))

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I just purchased my first lab diamond in a solitaire necklace from Ritani. My inner snob viewed it as a "less than mined purchase" purchase. When it arrived and I realized it is every bit as beautiful as my other diamonds. Under a loupe, I don't see anything especially different (not that I expected to).I am happy, I would certainly buy one again.

One caveat to this is that I have no intention of selling this diamond. It was purchased with a decision to expect a falling value. Also, it is a smaller diamond (.70) so I don't have that much to loose.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks! I'll definitely check that out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look at it this way. Each has their unique and enjoyable function/use. I don't compare my earth mined diamonds to my moissanite diamond ring. I just don't. They are different and I enjoy them both.

If you think you will enjoy and wear a lab diamond now and it is affordable get it and enjoy it. And if your tastes should change or you should want to add a different diamond to your collection you can do that at a later date. Getting one doesn't mean you can never get the other kind or as others have written you could perhaps sell it and use part of that towards what you decide you want at a later date. There are options. But if you think you will love wearing a lab diamond and it is within reach enjoy!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look at it this way. Each has their unique and enjoyable function/use. I don't compare my earth mined diamonds to my moissanite diamond ring. I just don't. They are different and I enjoy them both.

If you think you will enjoy and wear a lab diamond now and it is affordable get it and enjoy it. And if your tastes should change or you should want to add a different diamond to your collection you can do that at a later date. Getting one doesn't mean you can never get the other kind or as others have written you could perhaps sell it and use part of that towards what you decide you want at a later date. There are options. But if you think you will love wearing a lab diamond and it is within reach enjoy!

I totally agree with you. I think my biggest fear is spending a lot of money on something that potentially will lose a great deal of value. I think for a larger stone, at least for now, I'll stick with earth mined. But I'm definitely going to try a smaller lab diamond.
P.S. I can't wait to go back to Lambertville.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with you. I think my biggest fear is spending a lot of money on something that potentially will lose a great deal of value. I think for a larger stone, at least for now, I'll stick with earth mined. But I'm definitely going to try a smaller lab diamond.
P.S. I can't wait to go back to Lambertville.

Me too! And I will meet you there when the time is right. The ladies are open by appointment only for now.

I think I like the idea of buying lab diamonds to scratch the itch for something that I don’t think is worth it or can afford with mined diamonds. For example, I love the blue of a blue diamond but I couldn’t afford to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a tiny stone. I’d then much rather get a lab diamond, expect the “value” to drop to nil or nearly nil (kind of like a car) and wear it occasionally and enjoy it. I have no compunction in then admitting it’s lab if someone asks either! But for studs, or ering, or any jewelry I wear all the time I wouldn’t go lab. It’s not like I would judge someone else for doing so... I just don’t know if it would be mind clean for me.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I recently bought my first lightbox diamonds and that experience made me feel like I will never pay Earth mined prices again, unless it is for a special designer piece or vintage. This is my personal experience. If lab makes you feel like it is (worth?) less, you should definately go for Earth mined.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too! And I will meet you there when the time is right. The ladies are open by appointment only for now.

That would be wonderful Missy! Looking forward to it.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It depends. Do you expect to make a profit? If yes, I think you will be disappointed.

If it's just to wear at a lower cost than mined and are okay with the idea that it may lose value, as most jewelry does on the secondary market, then, no.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
It depends. Do you expect to make a profit? If yes, I think you will be disappointed.

If it's just to wear at a lower cost than mined and are okay with the idea that it may lose value, as most jewelry does on the secondary market, then, no.

When I get tired of pieces, I typically give them to family members or donate them to my local thrift shop. Hopefully in the future, I'll have pieces worthy of saving to pass down as heirlooms. Do you feel lab diamonds would be worthy of that?

For me it's just to wear at a lower cost than mined, since I can't justify spending tens of thousands on earth mined drop and statement earrings that I wouldn't wear often.

flash_and_fire

Rough_Rock
I'm enjoying this thread since I've been looking at MMDs myself. I feel like diamonds are diamonds although earth mined diamonds have a slight edge in being more special or precious in my mind. The price point of MMDs allows me to buy more! And really, when you're wearing an MMD/mined diamond, it's still a diamond!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, it’s like this:

Buying to wear daily and never sell?
Lab is fine.

Buying to suit the moment or scratch an itch and wear sometimes, maybe to sell?
Better buy preloved, and earth-mined. It’s my only hope for not losing tons on the resale.

I bought moissanite when it was new and exciting. Paid $500 for a ring I could probably get $100 for now. It’s ok. I chalk it up to the cost of having a hobby I’m passionate about :)

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
For me, it’s like this:

Buying to wear daily and never sell?
Lab is fine.

Buying to suit the moment or scratch an itch and wear sometimes, maybe to sell?
Better buy preloved, and earth-mined. It’s my only hope for not losing tons on the resale.

I bought moissanite when it was new and exciting. Paid $500 for a ring I could probably get $100 for now. It’s ok. I chalk it up to the cost of having a hobby I’m passionate about :)

Think of it this way though- if you bought a really nice earth mined one carat diamond $6k, and the chances of you selling it for $5.6k later are pretty slim. You may lose a larger percentage of the initial cost, but because the cost is so much lower, you rarely lose as much overall as you would with mined diamonds.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think of it this way though- if you bought a really nice earth mined one carat diamond $6k, and the chances of you selling it for $5.6k later are pretty slim. You may lose a larger percentage of the initial cost, but because the cost is so much lower, you rarely lose as much overall as you would with mined diamonds.

I totally get what you’re saying. But what if I bought the earthmined piece secondhand, and for a steal?

There aren’t enough lab diamonds around, but years from now I imagine I could buy a lab diamond secondhand for a steal.

Soooo I guess what I’m trying to say, is that if I think there’s a chance I might not keep forever, I have to buy secondhand lol

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@anangel

You’re totally right though. The potential for moss is similar, the upfront cost is hugely different.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’m totally in the same boat. Cz studs look pretty damn good and studs don’t get as much hard wear as rings do...

Missy! I didn’t know you had a moissanite ring. I love your style and would love to see it, if it’s not too much trouble?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results