shape
carat
color
clarity

Will changing the setting of my omc showcase it better?pics!

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I have been a lurker for quite sometime. I recently became the owner of a .35 omc. My bottom wedding band is a 7 stone, .40 carat weight total with wheat engravings on the sides. The middle band is also a 7 stone, the only one hubby will not allow me to change as it is my original wedding band.I feel having an old stone I would like to reset it into an antique setting, but will an antique setting showcase the diamond or will it compete with the diamond as right now its just in a thin, higher set solitaire. And being a .35, if I reset it, how many mm's does an opening need to be for it to fit?

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_7645.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Re: Will changing the setting of my omc showcase it better?p

I think it's best showcased in a setting that allows it to be separate from anything else in the setting. You could put it into a graduated 5 stone, with your stone as the center. You could also put it in something like the jbEG Bella halo which has a halo that does not melt into a center stone:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEGSignatureSettingsandSpecia/Halos/The-Bella-Halo-Featuring-a/20157222_5hmGjM#1591578379_tQRw6Br

Vatche also makes some nice antique style settings:
http://dvatche.com/index.php?page=collection&catID=2,17

I especially like this one, and think it would look good with your band. If you want to showcase your stone and your wedding band, I would wear the other 2 rings on your right hand.

vatche95_2.png

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

I absolutely love halos, the ones you posted are beautiful. I just wasnt sure sure if my stone was too small to halo.
I love my bottom ring with the wheat pattern on the side, i used to put the bigger 7 stone on the bottom and the smaller 7 stone on the top, just keeping it at 3 rings, but I felt my omc got lost in the sandwich near the bigger band. (may have also been cause I had a bigger ring before this that i lost a stone out of so I returned it for something that was more stable)....the top patterned band just sort of holds it all down, as the omc is a bit too big.

Florence-20111210-00409.jpg

Cincinnati-20120103-00470.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think your diamond will stand out more with fewer or thinner rings on your fingers. Try it with just a plain band to match the e-ring, or jus tthe thinner wb. I think it is too small for a halo, the halo would overwhelm the stone.

I had a stone that size in a wider shanked semi-bezel and it really allowed the stone to shine. I attached a photo.

dreamerryderring12.jpg

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

Dreamer...really like the bezel! I guess i was hoping to reuse the bigger 7 stone also, but I originally bought it to match my old ring that I returned. So hard to match pieces later! Attaching a pic of how you suggested....it does look bigger!

Cincinnati-20120105-00481.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

beautiful, I agree something a bit thinner or haloed would be lovely

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

I am liking best the last pic I posted, i just feel like ive been on a never ending journey to find the perfect set/something stable as I loved my old ring but was afraid to wear it after loosing a stone. Debating if i should sell the bigger 7 stone to put the money toward a setting. But then knowing me, the new setting would not look right with whatever bands I keep!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think even remove the wide plain band, just the solitaire and one wb!

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock

Here are my two antique cuts that are between 35 and 39 points. The filigree setting is an oec, and the other is an omc. I found these setting online from a vendor who I don't think is in business any more. They were reproductions from old settings. Not the best pictures, but you can get an idea of different settings with that size diamond.

oec 003.JPG

oec 005.JPG

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock

Here's a company you can buy vintage reproduction rings from - circa1930s.com 8)

An example of a setting you can buy that would fit the size of your diamond http://www.circa1930s.com/c30shop/engring/ew314/ew314-mtg.htm

I just learned the vendor I bought my settings from has passed away.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock

Even a custom simple bezel set would look really pretty with your stone. The bezel would make the diamond look larger, too. I have seen work by this jeweler posted by Pricescopers:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/danielmjewelry

This worn alone with your wedding band would be lovely, I think. :))

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

Tulip...thank you for all the lovely suggestions! Both of your rings are more the idea in my head of how I see my ring being...a great setting to showcase its age and beauty.

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

based on what im using to measure it, its coming in slightly under 5mm.

Cincinnati-20120106-00495.jpg

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock

It's very pretty and seems to be the average size that should fit a lot of the antique reproduction and style rings from that time period. I think they're so sweet in the settings.

I have no idea the cost of the Whitehouse Brother settings, but they seem to be well made and so many to pick from with your size diamond. It looks like you need to find a retailer in your state or contact them directly if interested in their rings.

I can't wait to see what you do!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

FairieMoon79|1325875054|3096624 said:
based on what im using to measure it, its coming in slightly under 5mm.

I think with a stone that size, less is more. It looks absolutely stunning on its own in this picture, and I bet it would look just as stunning with just your original wedding band with it. When you start stacking too many bands with the OMC it gets lost in all the gold and diamonds....

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

I decided to get a vintage look wrap for my omc until I can decide on how to reset it....the wrap almost looks lacey with how the diamonds are set....never thought Id have a wrap, but i love this one with my ring!

Florence-20120106-00497.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

NICE! I like that wrap look on your finger.

I also think the very thin, simple plain WB was a very nice match for your ring - if you decide not to change the setting.

or... what about a very thin (1.5 - 2mm) eternity/anniversary band with smaller stones? Gives a bit more sparkle and keeps the original Ering the focus in its classic setting??

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

enerchi.....thanks! ive wanted an eternity band since well, forever. what size stones would keep it from overpowering my ering? And if i keep it as a wrap, would the stone in rose gold with the white gold wrap be good or too much going on?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

hmmm...
I have been trying on a few eternity &1/2 eternity bands lately (7 - 9 stones) and am flipping around myself, as to what size stones I want. I have a size 7.5 - 8 finger and I want 'side to side' coverage, so the stone # & ct size keeps changing! What works on my hand with my 3 stone e ring, seems to be a .10 - .15 (max) stone. I have a 'busy' 3 stone and too large would just be competing for A) real estate on my finger and B) attention.

I would go to a local B&M store and try on a few bands in different styles- you currently have a channel style - try a prong/bead setting instead where you will see sparkle and not metal. See what stone size works for you. There are some amazing threads on these forums for 5, 7 and 9 stone rings as well as eternity bands. I'd love to have the budget and fingers for some of the beautiful rings the PS ladies showcase, but I don't. So I know I have to find what works for me (there's a revelation that took a while to get to!!! :D ) and I'm content with that size range for my situation.

I am not sure if there is a formula for what cttw diamond size works best with an e-ring. I thought it was something in the range of 1/5th but memory is not my strong suit - hopefully others will chime in.

As for the rose gold - if you love it, go for it!!! I have YG and WG for my WB and e-ring... and am really drawn to rose gold at the moment as well! I am weak - I'm not good at decisions!

I think we all need a 'wardrobe' of ring options to keep us happy!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

I have totally thought the same thing about needing a wardrobe to keep us happy! Like wear my wrap one day, an eternity band another day....
But I guess at the end of the day, I love the omc and I think it will offer me tons of options. Im really thinking rose gold could be yummy, but keep it simple. I just saw someone elses set that had a rose gold eternity band with what looked like a white gold solitaire....thought it was beautiful.
Finger coverage is a big one for me, as I have long fingers and prefer the look of 3 rings for myself. My tastes have changed so much, this is so much more classic of a look than Ive ever had.

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock

Very pretty!
We have almost matching kitties. Is yours a calico or bi-color?

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

shes my cuddler and pretty girl. hubby swears she meows and says mom. Shes gray and white. I lover her more than hubby....but shhh, thats our secret:)

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

What's your ring size, FM?

I have long (but fat) fingers, so I also have a lot of finger real estate that gives me lots of space to play around with different looks. I thought I had normal hands/fingers but I have an unusually large ring size, and I realized the reason why my hands don't look stubby is that my fingers are just dang long. I've comfortably fit 4mm+2mm+3mm+3mm bands on my fingers and still had room for one or two more! Who knew there was an upside to having a large band size? :lol:

Edit: also a plus, it makes the 3mm bands look really dainty on me. Score!

Edit x2: I am not at all saying that your fingers are like mine, just relating to having long fingers and liking several rings on them for finger coverage! ::)

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock

my wedding band is currently being sized to a 6 1/2. I knew my ering and wrap were too big also, so I think I am going to send one out at a time so my finger isnt naked!

My mom always told me I had "piano fingers"....my original set had 5 rings in it, it seems I can stack alot and still be able to come in under the knuckle. Thats why coverage is so important to me....my small diamond wedding band with my ering just dont provide enough coverage for me. I seem to have a 3 ring minimum to feel like I have enough coverage.

Long fingers rock!

jess719

Shiny_Rock

tulip928|1325793530|3095889 said:
Here are my two antique cuts that are between 35 and 39 points. The filigree setting is an oec, and the other is an omc. I found these setting online from a vendor who I don't think is in business any more. They were reproductions from old settings. Not the best pictures, but you can get an idea of different settings with that size diamond.

Tulip, your top ring looks just like my great grandmother's wedding ring! I had to do a double take!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results