shape
carat
color
clarity

Why your ring size is the PERFECT size!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Mine is the perfect size for me right now - 1.12 on a 5.25 finger, but in a three-stone with two .25 ct rounds for better finger coverage
2.gif
- but until a couple of months from now, I''m still in grad school and my lab is in a very unsafe area.

I do see myself upgrading, possibly in the next 5, or maybe next 10 years, but its not an urgent need, and I do love my ring/set as it is
1.gif

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 3:47:48 PM
Author: vespergirl
I have a 2 ct solitaire, and I love the size for my size 5 finger, I get compliments on it. It''s big without looking over-the-top. Not to say that if my DH wanted to upgrade me to an over-the-top 3 ct in 20 years I''d turn him down - after all, I''m 5''9'', so I''m tall enough to pull it off
emsmilep.gif
It''s nice you get compliments on it vespergirl. Even after my halo re-set I''ve only had 2 compliments on it in public and mine is a 3.03 on a size 4.75 finger. I must be living in the wrong place!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I have big, 6.5 fingers, so my .90ct looks smaller on my finger than it would on all you size 3 and 4 girls!! But it is an EC cut for spread and so it looks more like some of the 1.1 and 1.2 ECs that I''ve seen out there. Plus the pave helps out a lot. I must say I love the look of my diamond on my finger, it''s not too small and it''s the diamond that DH selected, bought with his money and proposed to me with. What could possibly make it a less perfect diamond for me???

Would I love a 2ct chunk of bling? absolutely. But right now I''m happy I have what I have.
30.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 3:59:58 PM
Author: Addy
I thought about not posting in this thread, but I''m really pleased with my ring at the moment.

It''s a .47 for a 7.25 finger. With the tapered baguettes, it covers most of my finger so that looks nice. It''s not a ''big'' stone and never will be, but I can travel with it without attracting much attention or feeling uncomfortable. It was nice to wear it to Croatia without feeling out of place.
Threadjack!

You went to Croatia? When? Where exactly? My family is from there, and we still visit my dad''s cottage there whenever we can (the house he grew up in). I haven''t been back since I had my baby, but we''re thinking of going next summer. My dad is from an island on the Dalmatian coast near Zadar, and my mom from another island to the NW.

Tell, tell!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:25:59 PM
Author: plethora23

Date: 3/26/2009 3:47:48 PM
I have a 2 ct solitaire, and I love the size for my size 5 finger, I get compliments on it. It''s big without looking over-the-top. Not to say that if my DH wanted to upgrade me to an over-the-top 3 ct in 20 years I''d turn him down - after all, I''m 5''9'', so I''m tall enough to pull it off
emsmilep.gif
It''s nice you get compliments on it vespergirl. Even after my halo re-set I''ve only had 2 compliments on it in public and mine is a 3.03 on a size 4.75 finger. I must be living in the wrong place!
Trust me, not every day, and if you''ve seen my other threads, some people have commented that they thought it would look bigger
6.gif
But I still get the occasional compliment, which is very nice.

I''m in a suburb of DC, in a more affluent community, so you do see a lot of bigger stones around here, but not everywhere - depends on the neighborhood. When I wear it to my hometown in NY (Long Island) no one even looks at it twice, because it''s a pretty average size around there.

By the way, I think that your ring is huge & beautiful! I would totally give you a compliment if I saw it in person!

I think a lot has to do with the way that stones are set, too. Because mine is in a solitaire, most people don''t really look twice - only "jewelry people" (probably closet PSers). I always end up giving compliments to people with smaller stones in beautiful, antiquey looking settings. There''s a salesgirl at a shop I go to with a center stone probably .5 ct with the most gorgeous antique setting, and I go crazy complimenting her whenever I see it - it''s perfect.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ring is perfect b/c it was a joint effort. I fell in love with the setting and DH fell in love with step cuts. I think my 1.72 EC looks great on my finger (4.5) and is probably the largest of our group of friends. It get noticed for sure. If I ever upgrade I will get a whole new ring b/c I could never part with my e-ring!

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
vespergirl- some people have commented that they thought it would look bigger

That''s so funny. I often get the "is that a 2 carat?" I guess people really have no idea about sizes. When I first got engaged I lived in Westwood/Century city area which was very near Rodeo drive so I never got any looks there...then I moved to Silicon Valley and the only people that ever commented on it were my co-workers but mainly about how sparkly it was- never the size. Now I''m back in So-cal and I rarely get a second look even with the new re-set. Once was a flight attendant and she wanted to know what the shape was and the other was my hair dressers assistant- she was commenting on how "timeless" she thought the setting was...again nothing about the size.
I''ve noticed that people are always commenting on an e-ring when it''s huge, yellow and included. If someone is wearing a 5+ carat radiant with 2 trillion sides covering the entire finger everyone is talking about it- but again not directly to the person that is wearing it.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i have a 1.25ct rb on my 4.5 finger, personally i think it''s too big for me (covers about half my finger), but FI wanted to get me the best one he could afford, so how could i say no to that
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 9:05:51 PM
I've noticed that people are always commenting on an e-ring when it's huge, yellow and included. If someone is wearing a 5+ carat radiant with 2 trillion sides covering the entire finger everyone is talking about it- but again not directly to the person that is wearing it.

Do you mean to say that people only comment to the wearer when their e-ring is yellow and included?

I think whether a person appears approachable or not has more to do with how likely people are to comment on their ring than whether it's included or yellow. I've seen some beautiful rings on women who wear those awful permanent scowls on their faces, so I'd never actually say anything; they look so miserable, so I'd rather have nothing to do with them.

I live in an affluent city, and my ring is small compared to most of my neighbors' rings. I work in a not-so-affluent suburb, and my ring is large compared to what most people wear there. I am given lovely compliments from strangers in both places, and my diamond is neither included or yellow.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have two e-rings, my original solitaire with an upgraded 0.63 ct stone, and my 25 year anniversary upgrade, which has a 1.50 ct center stone. They are both the perfect sizes. The 1.50 when I''m not using my hands much and want something more showy, and my 0.63 ct is perfect for everyday wear.
1.gif

I know finger size matters when it comes to how large the diamond appears, but I think it matters less when it comes to wearability. A large diamond will often sit higher off the hand, and be easier to bump, and this will be true no matter the size of the hoop for the finger.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring is a .62 and I have a size 8 finger. My ring size is perfect because it fits in with my lifestyle and doesn''t call out for attention what could be a negative way for my social/career settings. I also love how the stone is in absolutely perfect proportions to my setting - anything bigger or smaller just wouldn''t look the same. I fell in love with my diamond first of course, but (*ducks* b/c I know this isn''t a popular sentiment on PS!) I really love my setting just as much.

I also love that my ring leaves room to grow into that mad 3-stone ring that I''ll someday receive for a big anniversary ;-)

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
i have large fingers (size 8) and wear a 3 stone ring - .83 with .46 and .47 on the sides. i really love it. i also have a flower ring which my husband gave me for our 10th anniversary - .75 in the middle with 8 x .20 stones around it, so 2.35ct in total. i also have a 1.75 golden sapphire with .7 diamonds on each side and a 1.12 transitional solitaire. i rotate these, but have the softest spot for the 3 stone diamond ring. it''s not a big ring, obviously, but it''s just pretty and romantic looking. i''m planning a 5 stone caleb meyer ring also - around 2 ct. i think each of these rings look perfect in their own way, but i suspect that, a year from now, the one i''ll be wearing every day will be the caleb meyer 5 stone. i like low bands with multiple stones as they flatter my fingers the best and have a 7 stone princess cut ruby and diamond band (2.65 ctw) and a 5 stone ruby band (2.5 ctw). anything around 6mm wide which runs from side to side on my finger does the job; that''s my perfect size.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:49:18 AM
Author: ysj99

Date: 3/26/2009 1:26:31 AM
Author: Kelli
Great thread idea!

I have a 1.35 on a size 5.25 finger. To me, it looks enormous and I''ve had plenty of people ask me if it was two carats. I''ll quote gecko that mine is also pretty huge for my age and place in life. I can''t say that I''d hate to have a larger stone, but I don''t think I ever will. I know I''ll never want to trade in my existing diamond, so no upgrades for me.

kelli your ring is amazing and looks ginormous on your fingers! especially after you had the diamond recut, WOW!!!!!!! it''s one of my absolute favorites here.
WOW that is an amazing compliment given the gorgeous rings around here! You just made my day. THANK YOU!!!
9.gif

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 9:30:52 PM
Author: Haven

Date: 3/26/2009 9:05:51 PM
I''ve noticed that people are always commenting on an e-ring when it''s huge, yellow and included. If someone is wearing a 5+ carat radiant with 2 trillion sides covering the entire finger everyone is talking about it- but again not directly to the person that is wearing it.

Do you mean to say that people only comment to the wearer when their e-ring is yellow and included?

I think whether a person appears approachable or not has more to do with how likely people are to comment on their ring than whether it''s included or yellow. I''ve seen some beautiful rings on women who wear those awful permanent scowls on their faces, so I''d never actually say anything; they look so miserable, so I''d rather have nothing to do with them.

I live in an affluent city, and my ring is small compared to most of my neighbors'' rings. I work in a not-so-affluent suburb, and my ring is large compared to what most people wear there. I am given lovely compliments from strangers in both places, and my diamond is neither included or yellow.
I just mean they notice the size and not much else about it. I do agree though that they may only comment to each other and not the person wearing it because the person seems unapproachable in one way or another.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
plethora--If people aren''t commenting on how gorgeous your ring is, my guess is that they are just GREEN with envy because that ring is STUNNING.

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Thanks
Date: 3/27/2009 9:47:02 AM
plethora--If people aren''t commenting on how gorgeous your ring is, my guess is that they are just GREEN with envy because that ring is STUNNING.
Thanks Haven! I come to PS for all my compliments
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 11:16:31 AM
Thanks

Date: 3/27/2009 9:47:02 AM
Thanks Haven! I come to PS for all my compliments
9.gif
36.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was expecting this thread to be about ring (finger) size, not carat weight. I was wondering how in earth someone could claim their ring/finger size as 'perfect' in a diplomatic way!!
3.gif

Anyway, to the actual question: for me, 'perfection' in carat weight/face-up size is much more dependent on the balance of stone and setting than stone and finger. I have different sizes that I like in different cuts in different settings on my hand. For example, in rounds I tend to gravitate toward ct. weights in the .5-.7 range in antique-style settings with detail around the center stone (I don't mean halos necessarily, metal work and sidestones mostly). In asschers, though, I much prefer a larger stone (usually >1ct) to better appreciate the step pattern, and then I like those set more simply than the settings I like for rounds. Cushions have a different size:setting sweet spot too, as do pears, etc.

I would never tout my stone as being perfect in any particular way, but I personally love its size in proportion to the setting I picked out - and that was no serendipitous mistake. It wasn't like I already knew what setting I wanted and just threw whatever stone we could afford in there... I was definitely looking for balance with that pairing.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 8:39:12 PM
Date: 3/26/2009 3:59:58 PM

Author: Addy

I thought about not posting in this thread, but I''m really pleased with my ring at the moment.

It''s a .47 for a 7.25 finger. With the tapered baguettes, it covers most of my finger so that looks nice. It''s not a ''big'' stone and never will be, but I can travel with it without attracting much attention or feeling uncomfortable. It was nice to wear it to Croatia without feeling out of place.

Threadjack!

You went to Croatia? When? Where exactly? My family is from there, and we still visit my dad''s cottage there whenever we can (the house he grew up in). I haven''t been back since I had my baby, but we''re thinking of going next summer. My dad is from an island on the Dalmatian coast near Zadar, and my mom from another island to the NW.

Tell, tell!

I''m afraid that there''s not much to tell. I went in Summer 2006, during that ungodly heat wave that hit all of Europe. My profile photo is my friend''s photo of Ljubljana, which is where we flew into. We went to Split, Dubrovnik, Hvar, back to Split, and Zagreb. My DH''s, cousin''s partner is from Croatia and they go a few times a year. It was nice, I''d go back!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a diamond for a center stone... I have a yellow sapphire (approx 2 cts).
I think the size is perfect for me because it is not too big and not too small, it doesn''t get lost in the setting (I have a pretty ornate setting) and it holds its own.
I do not see myself upgrading although maybe at some distant anniversary I will get a new ring (would never take apart my original).

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:30:04 PM
Author: the rube
I have big, 6.5 fingers
You do know that the average womens ring size is a 6, yeah? 6.5 is not ''big.''
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:42:44 PM
Author: ysj99
I'm so happy to see all the responses!! I think it's important to take time and remember the meaning behind our rings and to fall in love with them all over again!
Everybody knows I am a serial upgrader but I wanted to point out that I have never changed my original engagement ring. I know how sentimental that ring is and I love it.

My husband was buying me a new watch yesterday in a B&M store. Most of the B&M stores here sell pretty badly cut diamonds. He was looking at the diamonds in the window and he said:

'If you had never found Pricescope we would probably have bought a badly cut diamond ring from here. You wouldn't have known any different and would have been proud to wear it'

Its true I guess. I am glad I found PS though. I have a big beautiful ring that I would never have been able to afford from a B&M.

Here is my original ring with my new one.

prmaisie2.jpg

ysj99

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 5:08:50 PM
Author: musey
I was expecting this thread to be about ring (finger) size, not carat weight. I was wondering how in earth someone could claim their ring/finger size as ''perfect'' in a diplomatic way!!
3.gif

lol!! I just re-read the title of this thread and I can totally see what you mean! And I don''t think there''s a diplomatic way of claiming a perfect finger size either, that''s like claiming a perfect dress size!

sparkleshine10

Rough_Rock
bet they''re calling you more than that Beau13!!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 12:07:35 PM
Author: sparkleshine10

33.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 1:00:26 PM
Author: Maisie

33.gif
Strange isn''t it Maisie..a newbie..and THAT is his/her first post? Smells like a trouble maker to me!! Or..maybe just another one of my fans?
31.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 1:02:07 PM
Author: beau13

33.gif
Strange isn''t it Maisie..a newbie..and THAT is his/her first post? Smells like a trouble maker to me!! Or..maybe just another one of my fans?
31.gif

Honest to goodness! I don''t know what the deal is, but boy do we have some bitter, unhappy people around here. So sad.

sparkleshine10

Rough_Rock
oh yeah, one of your fans beau13 - you rock my world, especially your rock!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 1:02:07 PM
Author: beau13

33.gif
31.gif
See what happens when you get a big posh ring? You get stalked!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Mine is good for me because I can see it without having to mess with my eyeglasses! LOL!
[It''s an age thing . . .]
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results