shape
carat
color
clarity

Why your diamond goes dark or blue in direct sunlight

Starfacet

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great read! I also want to say that the marquise ring at the beginning of the thread is :love::love::love:!!

John Pollard

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So: When you took the game inside you removed the majority of brightness in the hemisphere. You still had that very bright source, but it occupied only 1/2 a degree of space. You "turned off" much of the rest. The diamond was looking for light everywhere, and still finding the sun, but not the ambient light it had everywhere else, outside. Well-cut diamonds give back what they receive.

Physiological: Outside the brightness made your pupils constrict. When you went inside they adapted to the darker environment by dilating, to allow you to see more detail in the dark. This why we wait for our eyes to adjust, so we don't trip over furniture, etc. Once you went inside you started seeing the environmental details I have explained more clearly. Cameras adjust for brightness and darkness in a similar way, but without nearly the depth or sophistication of the human eye.
Per the above, I tracked down a post with some images.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/darkness-in-ideal-cut-diamonds-revisited.150108/#post-2722281

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

JEWELRY BLOG

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.