shape
carat
color
clarity

Why the price difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hgr2002

Rough_Rock
As a surprise, I am purchasing a diamond for my wife for our anniversary. I have found two diamonds that seem very similiar in all aspects except price and I am trying to understand what additional factors cause the price difference. Also, are these prices reasonable for the diamonds described below? Thanks.

Diamond 1 - $4,823

1.00 Carats
Ideal cut
H color
VS2 clarity
GIA certified
measurements are 6.53-6.55x3.96
Depth 60.6%
Table 54%
Girdle is thin to medium
no culet or flouresence
polish and symmetry are both excellent

Diamond 2 - $5,613

all factors the same except
measurements are 6.53-6.54x3.95
Depth 60.4%
Table 56%
Girdle is medium

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I cannot see why the price is different if they really are the same in all the specs except those noted. I would look at the cert for the first one to see the locations of the inclusions and maybe see if you can run a HCA on it to check the cut again. But in general I just eliminate more expensive ones unless I see a reason why it should cost more (and there usually is a reason -- but 30% of the time it is simply less of a deal).

hgr2002

Rough_Rock
I have the cert for the first diamond. Unfortunately, since I am dealing with an online dealer it is a fax copy and not that clear. However, if both stones are VS2 in clarity does it make a difference where the inclusions are located since they can't be seen? Also, what is a HCA?

BTW, both stones are from the same dealer so that's why I was wondering if there are additional factors that would result in such a price swing. Thanks.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Cutnut should be able to help you here. The only thing I notice being a factor is the girdle, and one of the boards pros would have to explain this to you (thin is easier to crack or has something to do with setting?). Have you asked the seller why there's such a difference in price?
Since you now posted the specs, I'd say it's a very valid question.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results