shape
carat
color
clarity

Why is this price so low?

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
Emerald cut, 2.37cts, "very good" cut, H, VVS2, $4500. The 1.36 lxw ratio is lower than I prefer, but all other stats are pretty legit for the price. This is super tempting... I've been looking for an emerald cut 2.50cts but come on! So what do you think? I'd love some opinions and I'm still learning here! No ASET image available online.

Video
IGI Report

Thanks everyone!!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I’m not an emerald cut expert, but I think the low price is due to the depth. At 67%, it is a lot deeper than the other 2 emeralds you were looking at, and therefore faces up a lot smaller than its carat weight.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
For that carat weight. It should me at least 9mm by 6mm. So it’s deep and therefore priced lower. But still very pretty.

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
I’m not an emerald cut expert, but I think the low price is due to the depth. At 67%, it is a lot deeper than the other 2 emeralds you were looking at, and therefore faces up a lot smaller than its carat weight.

Thank you! On Rare Carat it does say that the depth of 67.9% is "close enough" but it is above the highest range they recommend. This is really good to know, thanks for pointing it out!

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
For that carat weight. It should me at least 9mm by 6mm. So it’s deep and therefore priced lower. But still very pretty.

That makes sense! Really interesting in how diamonds are priced, it's such a huge difference in price per carat.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's the reality of the market.
Keeping diamonds on hand ( Lab Grown or Earth Mined) is costly. Very much so.
Over the past 20 years, a business model has developed allowing websites to offer diamonds they do not possess.
And since the cost of doing business in this model requires so much less investment, they can price the diamonds below what other sellers will...but the other part of this is the difference in service to the end user. First of all, there are many times when the sellers offering super low prices can't actually get their hands on the diamonds they are offering. Such sellers generally don't have the same facilities to make the best rings, or other jewelry...such sellers generally don't have trade up policies....

All this has far more to do with pricing than things like the depth.......

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Over the past 20 years, a business model has developed allowing websites to offer diamonds they do not possess.
And since the cost of doing business in this model requires so much less investment, they can price the diamonds below what other sellers will...but the other part of this is the difference in service to the end user. First of all, there are many times when the sellers offering super low prices can't actually get their hands on the diamonds they are offering. Such sellers generally don't have the same facilities to make the best rings, or other jewelry...such sellers generally don't have trade up policies....

That’s true. So when buying from a source like this, typically the buyer should buy to keep the diamond. I also tend to buy it loose and have someone else do the setting.

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock

Such an interesting perspective that had no idea about! This particular diamond is on Rare Carat, but I see that it's from 1215diamonds. It sounds like there is a risk that I buy it, and the purchase might not actually be fulfilled, is that the case? Thank you for your input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results