shape
carat
color
clarity

Why is Brand information on some Diamond Certificates but not others?

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's my take on it also, @sledge and you raise an excellent point when you say:

Technically with just a number and review of the clarity plot, you could connect a stone back to the cert, which if it had the logos would also confirm the brand.

The presence of both the brand logo and the lab report number inscribed on the girdle edge of a diamond make it easier for people to verify their diamond in conjunction with matching up the inclusions. Which is another reason why well-known brands owe it to their customers to inscribe their brand on the girdle edge along with the lab report number so that the characteristics are tied together.

I know that you know this, but I'll state this clearly since many people reading this thread might not. It's important to verify both the inscription and the inclusions with the characteristics indicated on the diamond grading report when dropping off and picking up your diamond from a jewelry store and/or shipping it out for service.

While inscription machines are still pretty expensive, they are also more common than people might imagine. Suffice to say that it's easier to forge a lab report number than a logo.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's clearly a lot of positive aspects to brand inscription.
It's important to verify both the inscription and the inclusions with the characteristics indicated on the diamond grading report

Really great point Todd.

While inscription machines are still pretty expensive, they are also more common than people might imagine. Suffice to say that it's easier to forge a lab report number than a logo.

This is why it's so important to verify a diamond using it's physical characteristics, as opposed to relying on an inscription.
There's a small cutting factory across the street that has the inscription machine...it's not that big, it sits on a table. I'll find out how much it costs- but I don't think it's crazy expensive, by industrial standards.
Copying a logo is not all that big a deal- all you need is a computer file. Plenty of our readers are good enough with computers to copy any logo in digital form. Point is- if someone wanted to inscribe a diamond with bad intent, it would not be difficult. Diamond consumers need to be careful who they buy from. That's really the protection.

A point about insurance- having a logo is clearly helpful in making sure your insurance company will replace your item with like quality.
Having said that, it's crucial to make sure that your insurance company will allow you to choose the replacement ( if needed). In that case, the inscription is a great feature, but not absolutely essential.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A point about insurance- having a logo is clearly helpful in making sure your insurance company will replace your item with like quality.
Having said that, it's crucial to make sure that your insurance company will allow you to choose the replacement ( if needed). In that case, the inscription is a great feature, but not absolutely essential.
Having a logo inscribed on the diamond adds no real value in terms of insurance protection. A lab report that is filed and bound with the policy defines the quality for the purposes of establishing "like kind and quality" in event of loss. A proprietary cert further defines quality attributes associated with that brand which may exceed those listed on the lab report.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Those are great points, @Rockdiamond and you're absolutely correct that people need to work with people they can trust. Regardless of whether a logo can be forged or not, I still prefer that vendors inscribe their logo on the girdle edge for identification purposes. It just seems to me like it adds that extra finishing touch to the branding experience and makes it that much easier to identify.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being that I can't see the inscription, it has never crossed my mind to know or care if a brand was inscribed on my diamond girdles! I'm just fine with the AGS number on the diamond. If the diamond is ever lost, the key is having the brand on the grading report and/or the appraisal for replacement purposes. I do like a visible brand name on items such as cars, designer jewelry, etc. You don't need a microscope to see those!:lol:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being that I can't see the inscription, it has never crossed my mind to know or care if a brand was inscribed on my diamond girdles! I'm just fine with the AGS number on the diamond. If the diamond is ever lost, the key is having the brand on the grading report and/or the appraisal for replacement purposes. I do like a visible brand name on items such as cars, designer jewelry, etc. You don't need a microscope to see those!:lol:

Ditto; if it was on the diamond as part of the ordinary process, that would be fine (if it was also noted on the lab report). But I don’t need the brand logo on the diamond so long as what IS on/in the diamond is properly documented on the lab report because the lab report (and hopefully insurance) is likely all you have left if you experience a loss. No one I know walks around with a loupe to inspect others’ items for brand logos (except maybe PSers at a GTG lol).

@Texas Leaguer and @Wink both offered perfectly understandable, rationale and reasonable explanations why vendors may choose to not inscribe the logo on the diamond as well as the peace of mind with regard to the lab report inscription and documentation containing what is needed for insurance verification/replacement purposes. Beyond that, I don’t need to flash the branding of my diamonds ... they do a good enough job of ‘flashing’ that all on their own ... without a loupe. ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results