shape
carat
color
clarity

Why I love and hate PS: Sea of Cortez Mabe Pearls

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just want to say that I'mm so sorry that you are so disappointed. It's very difficult when we have such high expectations and building excitement and then...... doesn't measure up.

A few thoughts : The 'crack' in the bracelet could be the join that didn't completely solder closed. It's very straight and looks like it was made with a saw. Also the position is where most people would 'hide' the join. That said the crack shouldn't make it unstable as it's at least half soldered and I'm assuming soldered to the back plate /bezel.
So I guess Im asking in what way does it feel unstable ? does the band twist ? Generally the issue with such bangles is that the top stone is heavy and wants to swing to the bottom .

Those Posts look like they are around 1mm .... that's pretty thick. I'd think .9 would be about as thick as one would use. Perhaps due to the weight they were worried the post would snap? They can easily change it.

Back of Mabe crack - my guess is that it was already there. Just moving around during shipping wouldn't really crack the back. Most likely it was chosen for the colour match and the back wasn't an issue.

As for the flipping ... that's a tough one and a reason why you might be right in thinking it might have been better to have it made closer to you. It's the sort of issue that can be dealt with during construction. Try the extender .. might help. But it might be best to get the problem of the necklace handled locally so you can get a proper fit.

Best of luck and keep us posted !

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs I’m just seeing your updates now. I’m so sorry :(sad And so disappointed for you too!!

The earring posts. I think this is fixable. Worst case - if that thickness is really needed for strength - maybe they can switch just the posts out to gold?

The necklace - This is fixable too. But I agree that it might be better to have it addressed locally, so that you can try fit on. Can the farm send you some more of the chain they used? That way you could either just lengthen or have the spacing between pearls altered, if one works better for you than the other.

But the bracelet, and the cracked pearl back, I have no idea but I would be angry too. That’s just inexcusable quality control. It wouldn’t have occurred to me to ask them to check that the backs were intact - I would simply assume that was done as a matter of course. It sounds like you’ve already raised your concerns, please let us know what they say?

I’m so sorry. All the pearls are just beautiful, from the front. But I totally understand how this is just super disappointing. :(sad

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! I’m so sorry to read this. These things seems like totally careless oversights and I’m so sorry they didn’t do a better job. I am hoping that you can get some of these things fixed easily, but I’m sure that doesn’t take away from the immediate disappointment

on the bright side, the pearls are absolutely exquisite and I know when these issues are resolved this whole set is going to be smashing!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone! I do think everything is fixable, but was just really disappointed. I think the fact that every piece had an issue just felt overwhelming. I'm going to try the necklace extender today to see if that helps. I wrote the farm yesterday so we will see what they say.

I think I'm also upset at the idea of paying to fix these issues. The pieces were expensive (for me), so the idea of paying more $ to fix problems is upsetting.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone! I do think everything is fixable, but was just really disappointed. I think the fact that every piece had an issue just felt overwhelming. I'm going to try the necklace extender today to see if that helps. I wrote the farm yesterday so we will see what they say.

I think I'm also upset at the idea of paying to fix these issues. The pieces were expensive (for me), so the idea of paying more $ to fix problems is upsetting.

I would’ve been gutted! I totally get your frustration. Every time I’ve had issues with a piece that I JUST got and was SO excited about it’s a bit devastating! You have every right to be miffed IMO esp because it’s all of them. I hope they help resolve the issue(s) or at least offer something to mitigate

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would REALLY hope the farm is planning to cover shipping costs for you to send the bracelet and necklace back and repair costs for fixing the cuff and replacing that one mabe. You paying out of pocket for those issues is unacceptable.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would REALLY hope the farm is planning to cover shipping costs for you to send the bracelet and necklace back and repair costs for fixing the cuff and replacing that one mabe. You paying out of pocket for those issues is unacceptable.

I hope so too! We will see. I am happy to pay to thin the posts/replace the posts since it isnt something I asked about.

It might be unfair of me to be upset about the pearls flipping, but that was literally my only instruction to the jeweler (that and the approx spacing between pearls). So that feels upsetting since it was my #1 request.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie @Cerulean omg I give up. Tried to use the necklace extender I have. This is the 3rd time I've tried on the necklace. The clasp freaking snapped.

20210930_085419.jpg

I just want to send everything back, have all pearls unmounted, and be refunded for the jewelers shoddy work (and return the cracked pearl). I just cant.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@yssie @Cerulean omg I give up. Tried to use the necklace extender I have. This is the 3rd time I've tried on the necklace. The clasp freaking snapped.

20210930_085419.jpg

I just want to send everything back, have all pearls unmounted, and be refunded for the jewelers shoddy work (and return the cracked pearl). I just cant.

Oh shucks

this is terrible

if that is an option…it can’t hurt to ask- gosh I am SO sorry about all this! I’d be concerned that even if they “fix” these things, it won’t be high quality work

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. So sorry about whatever that last post was. Must have left the text box up when I hopped in the car ;( Have reported it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. So sorry about whatever that last post was. Must have left the text box up when I hopped in the car ;( Have reported it.

no worries. What did you mean to write?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearl farm just wrote back saying they are discussing as a team today and will get back to me with potential solutions. I told them that the solution I want is to send back everything, be refunded for the jewelers' fees (since IMHO his work is the issue), and then have loose pearls sent back to me. I am happy to pay for all of the pearls (except would like to return the cracked one), but the jewelers' work is just not ok (in my view).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearl farm just wrote back saying they are discussing as a team today and will get back to me with potential solutions. I told them that the solution I want is to send back everything, be refunded for the jewelers' fees (since IMHO his work is the issue), and then have loose pearls sent back to me. I am happy to pay for all of the pearls (except would like to return the cracked one), but the jewelers' work is just not ok (in my view).

I don’t think this is even a little bit unreasonable.

Even if you excuse the flipping - which I don’t, seems like that’s a function of necklace length and collarbone placement and they should have tested the final necklace on different people with various builds.

Broken pearl back, bracelet either broken or made poorly, broken clasp - poor workmanship, maybe low quality materials. Not okay.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just checking in here @lovedogs. Did you hear anything back from the farm?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just checking in here @lovedogs. Did you hear anything back from the farm?

Thanks for checking! Yes, I've been speaking to them. It's all somewhat complicated and I am not entirely sure what will happen.

Overall, I've learned the following:
1. I will be sending stuff back to them, but the gold piece will be shipped to a partner within the US to avoid issues with MX customs.
2. I have to pay shipping (no clue how much it will cost, will find out Monday)
3. They won't be able to remove the mabes because it risks damaging them.
4. They are going to try to find me new mabe pearls (which is unfortunate because it took so long to find these).
5. I will get refunded some amount, but not entirely clear how much

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If they can’t unset the mabes is there any way you could rearrange them in the current bezels, to minimise flipping? If all the stations were weighted to the front of the necklace, say, much closer together? The weight distribution might help? I think I remember you specifically wanting a very spaced layout, however, in which case that doesn’t work. You must be hugely frustrated…

ETA: I honestly can’t see how you should need to bear the shipping costs to remedy these issues.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they can’t unset the mabes is there any way you could rearrange them in the current bezels, to minimise flipping? If all the stations were weighted to the front of the necklace, say, much closer together? The weight distribution might help? I think I remember you specifically wanting a very spaced layout, however, in which case that doesn’t work. You must be hugely frustrated…

ETA: I honestly can’t see how you should need to bear the shipping costs to remedy these issues.

Yeah, that's a good point about re-arranging them. Honestly though, I don't trust their jeweler to do anything with it at this point. And I am not ok with paying out of pocket to have it re-arranged locally.

I am frustrated, but trying to keep in mind that the pearl farm isn't to blame.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't the pearl farm recommend/endorse/suggest the jewelry maker? isn't the jewelry maker basically in-house?

If it were me, I'd be thinking I should return it all, to whatever address they prefer (as long as it is in writing), and get a full refund of everything (including return shipping) ... anything less for me would be a no-go ... I'd probably also want to wait at least a few months if not longer before venturing back to even look at let alone buy loose mabe/cortes pearls.

For sure I'd also be thinking the pearl farm and the jewelry maker should have been super clear that just setting the mabes would result in cracks and that they could never be safely unset ...

Very sad you had this experience @lovedogs ... hope the final outcome is something you can live with.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't the pearl farm recommend/endorse/suggest the jewelry maker? isn't the jewelry maker basically in-house?

If it were me, I'd be thinking I should return it all, to whatever address they prefer (as long as it is in writing), and get a full refund of everything (including return shipping) ... anything less for me would be a no-go ... I'd probably also want to wait at least a few months if not longer before venturing back to even look at let alone buy loose mabe/cortes pearls.

For sure I'd also be thinking the pearl farm and the jewelry maker should have been super clear that just setting the mabes would result in cracks and that they could never be safely unset ...

Very sad you had this experience @lovedogs ... hope the final outcome is something you can live with.

Yes, this was their recommended jeweler who does the "best work". Not in house though.

The issue is that I truly do want mabes from them--and I want the project to be completed in the way I envisioned it. I have been speaking to them since Dec, 2020 about this so I'm not willing to walk away.

I honestly have zero issue paying for loose pearls. I just don't want to pay anything for the jewelers' work, as I am so unhappy with it. I don't like paying for shipping, but can understand why they would want me to. But of course if it's multiple hundreds of $$ I will have an issue.....

I do want a full refund (less shipping costs) and then will pay for whatever pearls I want from them. I don't want to feel as though I have to buy what they have, or feel pressure to accept "replacements", etc.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally understand. The mabe pearls are gorgeous. But the jewellery itself is a disappointment.

I wonder if - instead of jumping through hoops to send everything back for repair - there is any option to have the pieces fixed/altered/remade in the US and have them compensate the jeweller directly? I assume the answer would be no but perhaps it’s something else to ask about?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@lovedogs

I’m so sorry to hear that the execution of the pieces leave so much to be desired. Fingers crossed that you get a resolution that works out for you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @lovedogs just checking in again. I hope things are getting resolved ❤️

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @lovedogs just checking in again. I hope things are getting resolved ❤️

Thanks @yssie ! I sent back the bracelet/earrings to Mexico yesterday (they emailed me FedEx labels, which lessened my anxiety about sending jewelry internationally). They will refund me the cost of both pieces minus shipping costs.

In terms of the necklace, they want me to send it to business associates in the US to avoid international shipping for a more expensive piece. I don't know how much that will cost, or what their plan is in terms of a refund, but hoping for more info soon :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @yssie ! I sent back the bracelet/earrings to Mexico yesterday (they emailed me FedEx labels, which lessened my anxiety about sending jewelry internationally). They will refund me the cost of both pieces minus shipping costs.

In terms of the necklace, they want me to send it to business associates in the US to avoid international shipping for a more expensive piece. I don't know how much that will cost, or what their plan is in terms of a refund, but hoping for more info soon :)

That sounds great!! So glad to hear they’re working with you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a status update, I sent everything back as of Oct 15th (sent back some pieces earlier and others later, as per their instructions). It's been 5+ emails checking the status of the refund, since at this point I have neither my money nor any pearls. I am continuously being told that I will be refunded "today", "tomorrow", "soon". I don't doubt that they will refund me (just to be clear), but the run around and lack of info is extremely frustrating. I am beyond disappointed.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw this update @lovedogs. What the heck? I'm so sorry and so disappointed for you :(sad I completely understand the frustration with the loosey goosey updates and timelines. I've experienced that too, kind of - to be honest I think part of it might be cultural. But it's one thing when you're waiting on information before a purchase and you don't hear back when promised. That's low-key annoying. It's VERY different when you're waiting on a return or refund status update and I would certainly expect any vendor to recognize that!

Have you contacted Douglas directly? Let me know if you need a direct email - you know where to find me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
update in case anyone is still following this saga, haha. I got almost all of my money back (minus about $250, which I assume is to cover their shipping costs).

It took almost 6 weeks from the time I sent back all the jewelry pieces to get my refund (which was quite a bit of money, FWIW). I had to check-in multiple times, only to be told the person I was speaking with wasn't the one handling the refund. My requests to speak directly with the person handling it went unanswered.

Overall, the pearls were lovely but the stress was unreal, and the jewelry work created this mess in the first place.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
update in case anyone is still following this saga, haha. I got almost all of my money back (minus about $250, which I assume is to cover their shipping costs).

It took almost 6 weeks from the time I sent back all the jewelry pieces to get my refund (which was quite a bit of money, FWIW). I had to check-in multiple times, only to be told the person I was speaking with wasn't the one handling the refund. My requests to speak directly with the person handling it went unanswered.

Overall, the pearls were lovely but the stress was unreal, and the jewelry work created this mess in the first place.

Oh gosh. That all sounds so stressful- I’m so sorry that all happened

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the update @lovedogs . I have been wondering how things were going with this. What a shame that it was such an ordeal. Their pearls are so beautiful!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad that you got your refund finally @lovedogs. I'm so sorry this was such an ordeal. My opinion on the operation has absolutely been soured by your experience, you have always been a sensible, responsible, reliable, and trustworthy member here. I really hope the farm personnel you worked with have learnt something from this and will take steps to ensure future customers receive better service :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results