shape
carat
color
clarity

Why hasn't this diamond sold?

uffda

Rough_Rock
I've been looking at prices of diamonds just under 1 carat for the last few weeks to try and get a feel for pricing. I've looked at hundreds of diamonds and for whatever reason, I keep getting drawn back to this one. It seems like such a good value for the price compared to similar stones with lesser cut quality and color grading.

HCA
ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements - 6.17 - 6.14 x 3.82 mm
Carat Weight - 0.90 carat
Color Grade - D
Clarity Grade - VS1
Cut Grade - Excellent
PROPORTIONS
Depth - 62.1 %
Table - 57 %
Crown Angle - 34.5°
Crown Height - 15.0%
Pavilion Angle - 40.8°
Pavilion Depth - 43.0%
Girdle - Medium, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet - None
FINISH
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
FLUORESCENCE
Fluorescence - Faint
CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS
Clarity Characteristics - Crystal, Pinpoint
PRICE
$5540

https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1249271043

To be clear, I'm not in the market to purchase this stone but am trying to educate myself as to why it may be being looked over. Is it just because of the above 2 HCA score? I can't imagine everyone that shops online types the specs into the tool. Anyway, thanks for any insight!

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
the crown angle is too high?

uffda

Rough_Rock
the crown angle is too high?

Looks like crown angle is 35.5 and I have it wrong in my original post. Is that really it?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not the best cut. It is well over 5.0k for a sub 1.0c.
0.9c D VS1.. It is just an odd combo.

At 5.5k, it competes with 1.0c G/H VS/SI which are extremely popular

uffda

Rough_Rock
It is not the best cut. It is well over 5.0k for a sub 1.0c.
0.9c D VS1.. It is just an odd combo.

At 5.5k, it competes with 1.0c G/H VS/SI which are extremely popular

Thanks for the information. Just trying to learn.

In your opinion, at one price is a stone like this a "good buy"? 5k even? 4.5k?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I show it scoring a 1.4 on the HCA with 62.1 depth, 57 table, 34.5 crown and 40.8 pavilion.

I don't know what the price of the stone is and it may be that the price is keeps it from selling.

uffda

Rough_Rock
I show it scoring a 1.4 on the HCA with 62.1 depth, 57 table, 34.5 crown and 40.8 pavilion.

I don't know what the price of the stone is and it may be that the price is keeps it from selling.

The price is $5540 and I had the crown angle wrong in my post. It's actually 35.5. Sorry about that.

Vander_25

Rough_Rock
Premium
The price is kind of high for a .9ct diamond. I would assume it is high because of the D color and VS1 clarity. If someone was going for an affordable diamond for a solitaire they probably wouldnt be going for a D color. A J/I/H with some flourescence would decrease the price quite a bit.

A 0.956 J VS2 super ideal cut AGS0 with medium blue flourescence I have on hold at whiteflash is $4300 by wire transfer. I am looking at diamonds that are just over 1ct with I/H color and strong flouresence with ideal cut and SI1-VS1 clarity that are in the $4500-5500 range.

So I would say the color of that diamond isnt necessary for most and it is raising the price a good deal along with the VS1 clarity which also isnt necessary for eye clean in modestly sized diamond. I am a noob too though as I have only been studying diamonds for the last few months.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure you are correct on some levels regarding pricing.

Whiteflash super ideal stones are in the ACA line and those stones don't have fluorescence. Is it a virtual stone or an expert selection stone?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A person who shop for a 0.9c diamond often has a max budget of 5k. This includes myself.
At JA for a well cut 0.9 stone, J is 3.4k, I is 3.8k, H is 4.2k and G is 4.6k. (no fluo)
You simply cannot sell the 0.9 D VS at 5.0k. Then, what do you do with 0.9c E and F?
You cannot sell well above 5.0k either because you lose all these budget-conscious customers.
5k and 1.0c are benchmark budget and carat weight. This particular 0.9c D VS acheives nothing in this regard.
Fine. I want a D. Then I rather go with something with med fluo for additional discount
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...d-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3650314

As you see, the 0.9 D VS you posted faces some serious competition.

People's interest in a 950k house and a 1.05M house is vastly different if you visit open houses. It is a psychological thing as well.

Last edited:

Vander_25

Rough_Rock
Premium
It is an expert selection. When I asked why it did not make the cut as an ACA I was told that technically from every aspect the stone did meet ACA standards but it has medium fluorescence and they do not accept fluorescent stones for ACA.

The rep said every so often the cutter will cut a stone with some degree of fluorescence to ACA standards but not commonly.

I had asked if it was likely since I have up to 4 months to pick out a ring and stone combo if I waited would I potentially find a similar stone that is I or H in color with medium or strong fluoresence. She said highly unlikely as it almost never happens that a .95-1ct will show up that is not an ACA with the only reason being that it is fluorescent.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. My ACA bracelet has fluorescent diamonds, so maybe they just mean
ACA stones for rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results