Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Why don`t diamonds ever go on sale?

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
1,630
New diamonds that is. Just wondering. :))

Most merchandise, at some point, go on sale. Car dealers have rebates or incentives of some kind, clothing, furniture, travel rates etc.
Why not diamonds? I`ve seen it maybe once a while back when a vendor was promoting their new site but I haven`t seen it again in a long time. I see that some vendors offer a PS discounts or wire price discounts but not a true "sale". Why is this?

Maybe they do go on sale and I just haven`t noticed. :bigsmile:

Cachette :))
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
My guess is that it's a lot like most luxury goods and makeup...they don't need to discount them or whatever to make them sell. People love the bling and will still buy em!
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,416
Great question Cachette

Here's what I see: Today, the market is so competitive, it forces the more popular internet diamond sellers to be well priced every single day.
For dealers holding inventory- it's not like bread- it does not go stale- in fact, sometimes diamonds in stock become more valuable as the market rises around them.

If a seller has the room to run a "sale" on loose diamonds, it might appear that their every day pricing is to high.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,407
Cachette|1313700244|2993650 said:
New diamonds that is. Just wondering. :))

Most merchandise, at some point, go on sale. Car dealers have rebates or incentives of some kind, clothing, furniture, travel rates etc.
Why not diamonds? I`ve seen it maybe once a while back when a vendor was promoting their new site but I haven`t seen it again in a long time. I see that some vendors offer a PS discounts or wire price discounts but not a true "sale". Why is this?

Maybe they do go on sale and I just haven`t noticed. :bigsmile:

Cachette :))
diamonds were on sale in 2004--2005.. ;))
 

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
1,630
Dancing Fire|1313712123|2993823 said:
Cachette|1313700244|2993650 said:
New diamonds that is. Just wondering. :))

Most merchandise, at some point, go on sale. Car dealers have rebates or incentives of some kind, clothing, furniture, travel rates etc.
Why not diamonds? I`ve seen it maybe once a while back when a vendor was promoting their new site but I haven`t seen it again in a long time. I see that some vendors offer a PS discounts or wire price discounts but not a true "sale". Why is this?

Maybe they do go on sale and I just haven`t noticed. :bigsmile:

Cachette :))

diamonds were on sale in 2004--2005.. ;))

Hahaha! Then my next question would be; "Where can I find a time machine?" :devil: ;))
 

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
6,724
Diamonds are basically like a commodity now, so stores that cater to price sensitive consumers already have competitive prices. With grading, it's also possible to compare diamonds to a certain extent, so a consumer can choose between many similar diamonds and pick the one with the best price. Now, that is a big generalization that applies to more to some types of diamonds and not others.

That said, you can find a good price on diamonds on the secondary market (used), but that's usually not a comfortable place for most consumers.

Now, about this 2004-2005 price drop, why did that happen?
 

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
8,829
Lots of jewelers play the 'sale' game and offer 40%, 50%, even 90% off. Most of the time it's nonsense, of course, but I still see it regularly. How are diamonds different from other products? For starters, they are nearly the opposite of perishable. A 10 year old diamond is not in any way inferior to a 10 day old diamond. You may not like the stone or the way it's cut or some other detail, but AGE has no effect. There is no model year.

#2, in most cases the dealer you are buying from doesn't actually own the goods. It's owned by a 3rd party dealer who is consigning it to the store in the hopes that they can sell it. If the store is having trouble, they pull it out and sell it somewhere else. There's no incentive to have a sale, at least not in the way that you see 'going out of business' types of sales with other sorts of store. Add to this that they're nicely durabe and shipping is cheap compared to the cost of the merchandise. It may end up being sold through a store on the other side of the world!
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,407
centralsquare|1313721769|2993952 said:
pregcurious|1313717786|2993885 said:
Now, about this 2004-2005 price drop, why did that happen?
Yes, and can we make it happen again?? :appl:
in the early 80's a D IF 1ct was like $58K then in 2004 i remember GOG had a D IF H&A 1ct for $19K...those were the days... ;(
 

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,201
Dancing Fire|1313725429|2994007 said:
centralsquare|1313721769|2993952 said:
pregcurious|1313717786|2993885 said:
Now, about this 2004-2005 price drop, why did that happen?
Yes, and can we make it happen again?? :appl:
in the early 80's a D IF 1ct was like $58K then in 2004 i remember GOG had a D IF H&A 1ct for $19K...those were the days... ;(
Wow - why so expensive in the 80s???
 

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Mar 24, 2005
Messages
1,493
For a brief time in the very early eighties, gold and silver hit all time highs similar to what we are experiencing now.

I remember my bank CD (certificate of deposit) paying 18% interest!

Now those were the days.
 

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
46
You can definitely bargain - I bought a diamond from a PS vendor, used another PS vendor to argue price match, and got nearly $5k off a $39k purchase.

So you should ALWAYS ask, especially with the more expensive diamonds which are not as easy to sell.
 

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,201
RayEarth|1313795133|2994583 said:
You can definitely bargain - I bought a diamond from a PS vendor, used another PS vendor to argue price match, and got nearly $5k off a $39k purchase.

So you should ALWAYS ask, especially with the more expensive diamonds which are not as easy to sell.
That's encouraging...thanks for sharing!
 

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 17, 2009
Messages
2,399
Cachette|1313700244|2993650 said:
New diamonds that is. Just wondering. :))

Most merchandise, at some point, go on sale. Car dealers have rebates or incentives of some kind, clothing, furniture, travel rates etc.
Why not diamonds? I`ve seen it maybe once a while back when a vendor was promoting their new site but I haven`t seen it again in a long time. I see that some vendors offer a PS discounts or wire price discounts but not a true "sale". Why is this?

Maybe they do go on sale and I just haven`t noticed. :bigsmile:

Cachette :))
My answer is: For the same reason that Louis Vuitton bags never go on sale ;( ;( ;(
 

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
1,630
centralsquare|1313796982|2994607 said:
RayEarth|1313795133|2994583 said:
You can definitely bargain - I bought a diamond from a PS vendor, used another PS vendor to argue price match, and got nearly $5k off a $39k purchase.

So you should ALWAYS ask, especially with the more expensive diamonds which are not as easy to sell.
That's encouraging...thanks for sharing!
That IS encouraging! :)

Thanks for everybody`s feedback on the question! Seems there is more than one reason for diamonds not going on sale but that there is some negotiating room. Interesting....

Cachette :))
 

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 6, 2011
Messages
995
There is a store in the heart of our shopping belt with a "massive sale" and "moving out clearance" banner. With up to 80% off.

They've been moving out for 25 years now I think. Still there.

I guess it works for the majority of anybody. That there is a discount hence a sale. Even FCDs have sale periods - just occasions where it is slightly more advantageous to buy a stone. Enough to tip people on the verge of clicking buy over the edge.

Bluenile and other online stores also have free settings/rebates etc programs going on from time to time with a number of conditions. So I wouldn't say that they don't go on sale - just that they are not like many other items.

Diamonds are eternal, but some do go out of fashion. Fluorescent stones suffered, shape popularity waxes and wanes etc.
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
TristanC|1313980922|2996244 said:
There is a store in the heart of our shopping belt with a "massive sale" and "moving out clearance" banner. With up to 80% off.

They've been moving out for 25 years now I think. Still there.
Ha ha! :bigsmile:
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
Actually, Cachette, if you check the secondhand sites or even secondhand diamonds on PS vendors' sites, you'll find that prices quoted tend to stay the same.

If I ever find a stone within my specs on a secondhand site, I'd be tempted. Even if it's not ideal cut but the price-point is attractive, it might be worth it to at least contemplate purchasing it for re-cutting.
 

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
1,630
Phoenix|1314015627|2996420 said:
Actually, Cachette, if you check the secondhand sites or even secondhand diamonds on PS vendors' sites, you'll find that prices quoted tend to stay the same.

If I ever find a stone within my specs on a secondhand site, I'd be tempted. Even if it's not ideal cut but the price-point is attractive, it might be worth it to at least contemplate purchasing it for re-cutting.

Thank you Phoenix! I`ve never seen this option on vendors' sites. Could you please specify which ones? Thanks!

Cachette :))
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
Cachette|1314017119|2996433 said:
Phoenix|1314015627|2996420 said:
Actually, Cachette, if you check the secondhand sites or even secondhand diamonds on PS vendors' sites, you'll find that prices quoted tend to stay the same.

If I ever find a stone within my specs on a secondhand site, I'd be tempted. Even if it's not ideal cut but the price-point is attractive, it might be worth it to at least contemplate purchasing it for re-cutting.

Thank you Phoenix! I`ve never seen this option on vendors' sites. Could you please specify which ones? Thanks!

Cachette :))
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say, but if you do a bit of searching around, you should be able to tell which stones are not their usual stock! :wink2: With one particular vendor that I have in mind, there are some stones which are not so well-cut and are priced accordingly (as opposed to say their own brands which carry a premium or even "regular" ideal-cut stones).
 

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
9,364
Phoenix|1314017685|2996439 said:
Cachette|1314017119|2996433 said:
Phoenix|1314015627|2996420 said:
Actually, Cachette, if you check the secondhand sites or even secondhand diamonds on PS vendors' sites, you'll find that prices quoted tend to stay the same.

If I ever find a stone within my specs on a secondhand site, I'd be tempted. Even if it's not ideal cut but the price-point is attractive, it might be worth it to at least contemplate purchasing it for re-cutting.

Thank you Phoenix! I`ve never seen this option on vendors' sites. Could you please specify which ones? Thanks!

Cachette :))
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say, but if you do a bit of searching around, you should be able to tell which stones are not their usual stock! :wink2: With one particular vendor that I have in mind, there are some stones which are not so well-cut and are priced accordingly (as opposed to say their own brands which carry a premium or even "regular" ideal-cut stones).
Since I didn't get any wrist-slapping, I can venture to offer you one more hint and this is a strong hint! :naughty: These secondhand stones (or stones on consignment) tend to stick out because of their ASET and IS images etc. There's no separate option to those. Just do a search on the stones and you *will* see which ones are not the vendor's own brands.
 

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
5,537
denverappraiser|1313719917|2993925 said:
Lots of jewelers play the 'sale' game and offer 40%, 50%, even 90% off. Most of the time it's nonsense, of course, but I still see it regularly. How are diamonds different from other products? For starters, they are nearly the opposite of perishable. A 10 year old diamond is not in any way inferior to a 10 day old diamond. You may not like the stone or the way it's cut or some other detail, but AGE has no effect. There is no model year.

#2, in most cases the dealer you are buying from doesn't actually own the goods. It's owned by a 3rd party dealer who is consigning it to the store in the hopes that they can sell it. If the store is having trouble, they pull it out and sell it somewhere else. There's no incentive to have a sale, at least not in the way that you see 'going out of business' types of sales with other sorts of store. Add to this that they're nicely durabe and shipping is cheap compared to the cost of the merchandise. It may end up being sold through a store on the other side of the world!
I would like to respond to Neil's second paragraph. It is significant when a store is working with a 3rd party's inventory. They are hobbled by the price per carat the owner expects for thier goods. Personally, I have had luck "negotiating" diamond prices with small dealers who own their own stock. When they own their own stock, they control the price per carat they are willing to accept. Thus, there is room for discounting. Now, one of the disadvantages with this approach is they have a much smaller inventory than the larger vendors, whether B&M or Online. If you are insistent on specific parameters, you risk being out of luck. Hope this gives you another option.
 

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
1,630
Phoenix|1314072683|2997136 said:
Phoenix|1314017685|2996439 said:
Cachette|1314017119|2996433 said:
Phoenix|1314015627|2996420 said:
Actually, Cachette, if you check the secondhand sites or even secondhand diamonds on PS vendors' sites, you'll find that prices quoted tend to stay the same.

If I ever find a stone within my specs on a secondhand site, I'd be tempted. Even if it's not ideal cut but the price-point is attractive, it might be worth it to at least contemplate purchasing it for re-cutting.

Thank you Phoenix! I`ve never seen this option on vendors' sites. Could you please specify which ones? Thanks!

Cachette :))

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say, but if you do a bit of searching around, you should be able to tell which stones are not their usual stock! :wink2: With one particular vendor that I have in mind, there are some stones which are not so well-cut and are priced accordingly (as opposed to say their own brands which carry a premium or even "regular" ideal-cut stones).
Since I didn't get any wrist-slapping, I can venture to offer you one more hint and this is a strong hint! :naughty: These secondhand stones (or stones on consignment) tend to stick out because of their ASET and IS images etc. There's no separate option to those. Just do a search on the stones and you *will* see which ones are not the vendor's own brands.
Thanks Phoenix! Will look into this! :wavey:

Cachette :))
 

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
1,630
Upgradable|1314104990|2997295 said:
denverappraiser|1313719917|2993925 said:
Lots of jewelers play the 'sale' game and offer 40%, 50%, even 90% off. Most of the time it's nonsense, of course, but I still see it regularly. How are diamonds different from other products? For starters, they are nearly the opposite of perishable. A 10 year old diamond is not in any way inferior to a 10 day old diamond. You may not like the stone or the way it's cut or some other detail, but AGE has no effect. There is no model year.

#2, in most cases the dealer you are buying from doesn't actually own the goods. It's owned by a 3rd party dealer who is consigning it to the store in the hopes that they can sell it. If the store is having trouble, they pull it out and sell it somewhere else. There's no incentive to have a sale, at least not in the way that you see 'going out of business' types of sales with other sorts of store. Add to this that they're nicely durabe and shipping is cheap compared to the cost of the merchandise. It may end up being sold through a store on the other side of the world!
I would like to respond to Neil's second paragraph. It is significant when a store is working with a 3rd party's inventory. They are hobbled by the price per carat the owner expects for thier goods. Personally, I have had luck "negotiating" diamond prices with small dealers who own their own stock. When they own their own stock, they control the price per carat they are willing to accept. Thus, there is room for discounting. Now, one of the disadvantages with this approach is they have a much smaller inventory than the larger vendors, whether B&M or Online. If you are insistent on specific parameters, you risk being out of luck. Hope this gives you another option.
Thanks Uppy! Great suggestion!

Cachette :))
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?
    Scorpio Style
    Scorpio Style

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top