shape
carat
color
clarity

Why does platinum get such mixed reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone, I visited a jeweler today to talk about possibly filing down my eternity band (which I decided against), and while he was very nice and informative, he went on and on about how terrible platinum is (most of my rings are platinum, FYI).

He said that it is so soft that it is not meant to be worn everyday. I know that it has a soft surface, but I thought that it is more durable than gold? I asked him why he thinks people buy it, and he said basically just for the status of having platinum. He said that he always tries to talk young people out of buying it, because it won''t last over the years.

I was aware that the surface is soft, but isn''t the benefit of platinum that it can be polished back into place since the mental just gets displaced?

He also said that if platinum is next to gold, that the gold will eat away at the platinum. I thought it was the other way around???

Anyway, I just wanted to post about this because I have always thought that platinum was just a superior metal (obviously, which is why I chose it for my rings), especially since it is more expensive that gold, and this is what my previous jewelers have told me? This jeweler seemed to STRONGLY dissuade the use of platinum for wedding sets, and I thought some of the experts could way in on the pros and cons? This jeweler has been in the business for over 40 years, and does work with platinum, so I didn''t simply shrug off his comments as someone who just did not know what he was talking about. Now I am worried about my wedding set holding up over the years
6.gif

Sorry for the EXTREMELY long post, but any expert opinions would be greatly appreciated.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well your jeweller is right on many accounts. While what you say is true (that platinum doesen''t wear off as easily) it''s also true that it''s not as strong as most gold alloys. I''m not talking surface hardness here (they''re very close), but actual strenght. Platinum acts more like rubber, than like metal, it''s elastic and will not break, but only bend in some cases where other metals would break. However, it takes quite a bit of platinum to actually get the same streght that you''d get in a typical piece of gold, so stuff like filigree and other that don''t contain much metal are very fragile when done in platinum. And the very fact that platinum is more "elastic" will contribute to bending and loss of original shape if there''s not much material involved. While I don''t agree that status is the only reason people buy platium (it''s much more dense, which some people like, so it feels different), I''m not sure I''d claim that the cost of platinum is all that justified, except in the cases of costly gemstones where a properly done platinum setting insures a greater level of protection.

P. S. I''m no expert, but I''ve done my fair share of reading
1.gif

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
I personally suspect that some jewelers are not fond of working with platinum; it''s more difficult to work with than gold and those who started their craft before platinum became very popular are very used to working with gold, which is more malleable.

Every jeweler I have talked to who really has bad things to say abotu platinum is also not very skilled in working with it from their pieces I have looked at. But that has just been my own non-professional and unbiased opinion from limited but objective experience. And I have read many ''experts'' claims that platinum will last much longer than gold in a ring, for example, Rwwise.com has such a statement in his own articles section.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 10:34:23 AM
Author: mufiin_top
I personally suspect that some jewelers are not fond of working with platinum; it''s more difficult to work with than gold and those who started their craft before platinum became very popular are very used to working with gold, which is more malleable.

Every jeweler I have talked to who really has bad things to say abotu platinum is also not very skilled in working with it from their pieces I have looked at. But that has just been my own non-professional and unbiased opinion from limited but objective experience. And I have read many ''experts'' claims that platinum will last much longer than gold in a ring, for example, Rwwise.com has such a statement in his own articles section.
I agree with this. I have platinum exclusively and I know jewelers hate to deal with it. I worry about ever needing my rings sized because of this. I enjoy the weight of plainum, and the patina. I''m not overexcited about maintaining a "mirror finish", because that just gets fingerprinted up.. Besides that, you can barely see the metal to my rings, because they are diamond focused.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2010 10:34:23 AM
Author: mufiin_top

Thritto.

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
I have all platinum rings as well and was having platinum regrets a few months back. I love the look and the weight but my e-ring (which is very thin) is pretty banged up on the underside due to...well, just everyday wear. I would not worry so much about it but it is an eternity so I fear loosing diamonds. This may sound really silly but I know had I not chosen platinum I would wish that I had. Personally, something as sentimental and treasured as my e-ring and wedding bands should be made in the most superior metal. Just my thoughts...

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I was in shock when my jeweler told me the same thing today. I was having my diamond lowered in my setting (plat. head, gold body with channel set diamonds) and he told me that it is a very soft metal and was not a good choice as it could bend very easily. Another thing I think is interesting is that I have a platinum allergy. Seriously! My wedding band was platinum and everytime I tried to wear it I would get a big red rash on my finger. According to my allergist, and regular doctor, hypoallergenic only means that it is LESS likely to cause a recation, not that it will not cause a reaction. Strange...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/7/2010 7:19:30 PM
Author: starburst
I saw this piece on Leon''s site, it certainly does shed some light on the platinum vs gold issue:
http://www.artofplatinum.com/start/vault/ingridients.php
I just wrote a long critique of this article, but the computer ate it. So, here is the condesed version:

I disliked this article. It was biased and typically Leon. It was badly structured and lacked objectived data, as well as making statements that are not quite a consensus in the goldsmithing community (platinum is easier to work with). Instead of presenting both sides clearly, the point of the text was to slam white gold and praise platinum.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady Disdain, interesting! So do you think Leon''s info about white gold is not correct?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s safe to say that a competent jeweller will be able to make a quality piece no matter which metal you desire. Experts correct me if I''m wrong.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 1:14:21 PM
Author: ma re
I think it's safe to say that a competent jeweller will be able to make a quality piece no matter which metal you desire. Experts correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't think you'll find Mark Morrell willing to work in gold. Jewelers have their preference and I wouldn't want a jeweler to work in a metal that he didn't like.

There are pros and cons to each metal. But there is a lot of antique jewelry out there made from platinum as well as gold.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I know there are pros and cons and I know people have preferences, but I was just claiming that a great jeweller IMO should be able to do great work in any material (assuming the design and it''s technical aspects allow the use of any material).

BTW some great antique pieces have even been made in sterling silver (not just gold and platinum), even things like royal ceremonial objects.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 10:25:21 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain

I disliked this article.
I agree, and not because he slammed white gold, but because of the tone he used to do it. I understand that platinum has it pros and cons as does white gold. It was interesting that he decided not to tell us the benefits of white gold
40.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 1:22:07 PM
Author: swingirl
Date: 1/8/2010 1:14:21 PM

Author: ma re

I think it''s safe to say that a competent jeweller will be able to make a quality piece no matter which metal you desire. Experts correct me if I''m wrong.

I don''t think you''ll find Mark Morrell willing to work in gold. Jewelers have their preference and I wouldn''t want a jeweler to work in a metal that he didn''t like.

There are pros and cons to each metal. But there is a lot of antique jewelry out there made from platinum as well as gold.

Actually, yes, Mark Morrell has made gold pieces. They''re beautiful, as one might expect!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 7:19:30 PM
Author: starburst
I saw this piece on Leon's site, it certainly does shed some light on the platinum vs gold issue:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/start/vault/ingridients.php

I love Leon (I even love those stories about his fickle temper! Find them endearing...), but I'm always surprised by his website. I would have thought he'd want to have a more posh site designed to showcase his fabulous pave work. Oof, hope I didn't just blacklist myself.... :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results