shape
carat
color
clarity

Why documentation is important

This clearly beats even apple shares: from $10 to $700.000 in twenty years

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/07/car-boot-sale-tenner-diamond-ring-sells-657000-sotherbys/

And, together with some other current threads about 'old' heirloom rings, it reinforced my obsession with documenting what i buy for my dear descendants. How much value is 'lost' every day when Grand-aunty goes to the next life and leaves a box of nobody-knows-jewelry that goes to a pawn shop for the gold-price. I will develop a centuries enduring system of documentation for the gems and jewelry I buy.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I have a thicker than necessary notebook with descriptions, receipts, and personal notes about every jewelry item I own so that my kids will know what they're getting. Some of it was given to me by their father, and some I bought myself. They will someday want to know what they own.

I make one folder for each gem with all data, papers and the gembox itself taped inside. When my first gem comes set in ring (hopefully soon) I will photograph the ring and keep a hard-copy as place holder in each folder. I really hate the scenario how some descendants of mine in the year 2197 throws my gem collection on a heap in a garage-sale with a sign like €3 for 5 and 10€ for 20 such (in case they still have garage-sales in 2197, probably it will be e-garage-sales).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have all the receipt and valuations placed together for future reference.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You all sound like me 25 years ago buying facet rough...:lol:

That was the thing; where your rough came from, what mine, what year, how much, mine owner, quality and color of the rough, crystal and or mineral specimen I bought to cut into a gem as many of the rare gem minerals was never mined for rough as there was so few of them... Never cut a perfect crystal always one with an issue... Still a purest at heart and know I should not try to better a natural lovely creation...

I feel you are correct in your approach... Some people do not care but when you collect it does matter...

I never thought I would be a seller; I always thought of myself as being a hoarder of minerals...

You never know how things will change in your life ???

Love to see people care where their purchases come from...

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results