shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you still go to the grocery store?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The latest reason I still go to the store is so I don’t end up paying double for some deli ham.

I was feeling lazy so instead of going shopping last week, I scheduled a delivery. First I found that they charged me for something I didn’t have. Then, I discovered that instead of paying $6.99/lb for deli ham I ordered, I was given $11.99/lb for the most expensive one they carry o_O
That was nearly $20 for lunch meat!

Not doing that again.

Ugh. Our delivery services give us the lower price if items are substituted. Can you specify what they do for substitutions?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not a huge fan of Walmart, but the curbside option is pretty good. You can select which items they substitute or not, if they substitute a more expensive item you get the lower price, and I get an email in advance if a substitute happens and can refuse it at pick up.

At Sam’s I use the scan and go app which is amazing!!!!! I don’t really interact with anyone. I don’t think Costco offers it and I really wish they would.

Agree with others on it not being the best for fresh items. One time I ordered 4 bananas and got 4 bunches. Next time I ordered 1 expecting to get a bunch and only got 1 banana. I prefer to pick my own perishable items.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. Our delivery services give us the lower price if items are substituted. Can you specify what they do for substitutions?

I tried, I put two notes:

please pick the best produce you can.

If the ham that is on sale at 6.99/lb is sold out, please pick a ham that is the closest to $6.99.

I just have to go in person which is fine but it would be nice to have the option. I had to go pick up the item they charged me for and forgot which defeated the whole purpose of delivery!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kgizo, sorry but I got a laugh out of the banana thing....4 bunches of bananas, oh my!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I’m not a huge fan of Walmart, but the curbside option is pretty good. You can select which items they substitute or not, if they substitute a more expensive item you get the lower price, and I get an email in advance if a substitute happens and can refuse it at pick up.

At Sam’s I use the scan and go app which is amazing!!!!! I don’t really interact with anyone. I don’t think Costco offers it and I really wish they would.

Agree with others on it not being the best for fresh items. One time I ordered 4 bananas and got 4 bunches. Next time I ordered 1 expecting to get a bunch and only got 1 banana. I prefer to pick my own perishable items.

I did the banana thing too! I thought I was ordering 3 bananas, but it was 3 big bunches. DH opened the door to find 18 bananas and was like what the hell.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did the banana thing too! I thought I was ordering 3 bananas, but it was 3 big bunches. DH opened the door to find 18 bananas and was like what the hell.

You could freeze them and use them in smoothies. Yummm.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did the opposite of this. I ordered one banana when I thought I was ordering a bunch.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The latest reason I still go to the store is so I don’t end up paying double for some deli ham.

I was feeling lazy so instead of going shopping last week, I scheduled a delivery. First I found that they charged me for something I didn’t have. Then, I discovered that instead of paying $6.99/lb for deli ham I ordered, I was given $11.99/lb for the most expensive one they carry o_O
That was nearly $20 for lunch meat!

Not doing that again.

That's cr*p !
My one won't let me order if they are out of stock - the search function won't even show it
if i order something that's out of stock when they pick the order i get an upgrade substitution
Like yesterday the $1.70 brown toast bread was out by the time the was order was picked so i got the bread that costs $3.60 for $1.70

voce

Ideal_Rock
I am a food vendor and I have to go into 3-5 grocery stores everyday.
So I don't have a choice.
But the stores are still thriving, maybe more than ever.
The pandemic has not stopped people from shopping. And the delivery services are booming as well.
Covid has been very good for the food industry.

You are neglecting to consider the farmers who typically sell vegetables to restaurants. I know people who have been severely negatively impacted... As in they're only selling a third of what they sold last year.

Plenty of restaurants set up as buffets or grill-at-the-table BBQ had to shut down entirely. People don't pay $30 for takeout Korean BBQ the way they would to sit down and enjoy freshly grilled meat.

Grocery stores are only a subset of the food industry, and if the food industry wasn't negatively impacted, I doubt Congress would be allocating money for agriculture in their most recent COVID-relief bill.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to go out today, because despite getting a delivery, staples like eggs and bread were missing because our media has told everyone there are going to be shortages, and it’s become a self fulfilling prophecy :angryfire:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cheese balls are gone. I have no idea how I will get through Christmas now!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The CDC now recommends that people order their groceries online

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had the luxury of ordering groceries online.
But I work in the stores, so I still have to go in.

I feel like no one cares about retail workers in this pandemic.
As long as everyone can still get their snacks:angryfire:

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I continue to go to the supermarkets after 20:00 hours during weekday (they close at 22:00) when it is quieter with less people about, as I cannot control how other people would behave, and am not keen on them getting to close to me.

The requirement to wear mask indoor is stricter for the 3rd lockdown, and I have noticed a change of security personnel at the store where I do my big weekly shop, as the previous security officer was rather lax himself in wearing mask indoors, let alone enforcing others to wear theirs!

DK :))

During the pandemic I’ve ordered in as much as possible unless slots aren’t available at which I go in. But before Covid times I used to love going to the grocery store and it makes me sad that I can’t do that right now. Buying my produce was one of the best parts of my week :/ I just find it so soothing and relaxing.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t been out to the shops, or anywhere really, since 23rd December. Fortunately our food deliveries are pretty good, and we’ve started to check 24 hrs before delivery to see if anything is out of stock, so we can make our own substitutions.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had the luxury of ordering groceries online.
But I work in the stores, so I still have to go in.

I feel like no one cares about retail workers in this pandemic.
As long as everyone can still get their snacks:angryfire:

Ugh that sucks @stracci2000. :(

We stopped into Trader Joe's for 5 minutes today as it was on the way home from my periodontist and I needed to get a few things. There was a guy there without a mask (as in no mask in sight not even around his neck) and he looked IMO not quite right so I just moved away from him and alerted the management. I saw him 10 minutes later mask on. OMG really? Why the F wasn't his mask on from the get go? Why does it take effort to make others behave considerately towards others?

We are in a pandemic situation still. Masks do help. Social distancing does help. And many people cannot afford the luxury of getting groceries delivered but everyone can wear a mask when out in the stores shopping? Can't they?
Or does it trample theirprecious"freedom"...

Wearing a mask is about RESPECT.
Not an impingement on one's freedom.
Wearing a mask shows you respect your fellow human being.
Be a decent human. Wear a mask please.

respect.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh that sucks @stracci2000. :(

We stopped into Trader Joe's for 5 minutes today as it was on the way home from my periodontist and I needed to get a few things. There was a guy there without a mask (as in no mask in sight not even around his neck) and he looked IMO not quite right so I just moved away from him and alerted the management. I saw him 10 minutes later mask on. OMG really? Why the F wasn't his mask on from the get go? Why does it take effort to make others behave considerately towards others?

We are in a pandemic situation still. Masks do help. Social distancing does help. And many people cannot afford the luxury of getting groceries delivered but everyone can wear a mask when out in the stores shopping? Can't they?
Or does it trample theirprecious"freedom"...

Wearing a mask is about RESPECT.
Not an impingement on one's freedom.
Wearing a mask shows you respect your fellow human being.
Be a decent human. Wear a mask please.

respect.jpg

I walked into a pawn shop last week and the young lady behind the jewelry counter wasn't wearing a mask. I was rather taken aback. This was clearly violating state health orders. But pawn shops around here are owned by guys who like to buck the system. I didn't say anything, because I felt like a guest in their shop, and I didn't want to make waves.

I have not seen anyone in the grocery stores without a mask for a long time.
No store will let you in without one.
As a side note, I love Trader Joe's!
We are lucky to have one very near our home.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well, I would but the closest grocery is a half hour away and they do not offer delivery to my area. We tried. It is a pitfall of rural life. DH goes once every two weeks or so.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I continue to do my grocery shopping in person. After all, I am working in the school/classroom and so I am at some risk already. The grocery store and drug store (maybe) are really the only place I go outside of work so I justify it.
The one delivery I tried didn’t work for me and I too like to pick my own produce!
Thankfully there has been plenty of toilet paper and paper towels. :lol:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am still shopping in person and now I’m really working on cleaning up my diet. So that means looking for certain ingredients, reading labels... that doesn’t lend itself well to online ordering.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results