shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you still go to the grocery store?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny picking watermelons is all about the ‘knock!’ Knock on it. A good hollow knock is way better than a dull heavy-sounding one. :) Hope that helps.
4F7B4CED-3924-4705-A931-46987C1C8542.jpeg

Thanks.

Ya know, that's the same way I pick my men. :Up_to_something:
Look for the yellow spot and thump them. :lol-2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hate online grocery shopping. Used it twice when the baby was born because I was having a meltdown from PND but after that never again.

Peak Covid I went once a week. These days I go as often as I like. That said we have had no community transmission for 15 days (I think) so we do a lot worse than grocery shopping (all within government guidelines).

If you have young children you do not want to know what they get up to at school. I'm likely to be dead ten times over from the germs he brings home than from going to the shops. He takes swimming lessons in a public pool that's basically children soup!

I spent five minutes staring at pieces of watermelon this morning to get a perfect piece so no way I'm going online unless the government locks me up!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hate online grocery shopping. Used it twice when the baby was born because I was having a meltdown from PND but after that never again.

Peak Covid I went once a week. These days I go as often as I like. That said we have had no community transmission for 15 days (I think) so we do a lot worse than grocery shopping (all within government guidelines).

If you have young children you do not want to know what they get up to at school. I'm likely to be dead ten times over from the germs he brings home than from going to the shops. He takes swimming lessons in a public pool that's basically children soup!

I spent five minutes staring at pieces of watermelon this morning to get a perfect piece so no way I'm going online unless the government locks me up!

I think you would be a fun person to just hang out with :mrgreen2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you would be a fun person to just hang out with :mrgreen2:

Aww that has made my day!!!! :kiss2:

Come over when all this is over!!!! I'll make you a lychee cake, we can have tea in fancy cups and discuss gems. Hehe we can even go to Costco. I love Costco! It's like a freaking excursion for me. I don't go often but when I do it's a real treat!

Ooh I have to tell you!!!! Woolies (your Countdown) has THE BEST tinned lychees if you can get your hands on it!!!!! Really very fresh tasting for a canned item! It's just the Woolies brand.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I hear over and over again is that personally choosing your groceries is worth the risk of catching Covid. Is this right?

Yes. YMMV.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww that has made my day!!!! :kiss2:

Come over when all this is over!!!! I'll make you a lychee cake, we can have tea in fancy cups and discuss gems. Hehe we can even go to Costco. I love Costco! It's like a freaking excursion for me. I don't go often but when I do it's a real treat!

Ooh I have to tell you!!!! Woolies (your Countdown) has THE BEST tinned lychees if you can get your hands on it!!!!! Really very fresh tasting for a canned item! It's just the Woolies brand.

Aussies really are the best ! :kiss2:
You just gotta get used to them ;)2

Maybe that's why countdown has been out of lychees - because they are phasing them out to make room for their home brand lychree :appl::appl:

We have two countdowns here - the nicer one is the one that doesn't do the deliveries
But they are both an excellent size for a small provincial city with a big rural area to cater for

But I used to find the smaller countdown in the tiny village i used to work in i could find 100% everything i ever wanted or needed
The huge one down the road from home where we lived in Wellington that had isles 5 trolleys wide i only visited on xmas eve because of the physical size of the place it never felt crowded

One day im going to love your lychee cake on those pretty cups and saucers
Just stay stay over there
i feel like we are living on a tightrope keeping covid out

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thanks.

Ya know, that's the same way I pick my men. :Up_to_something:
Look for the yellow spot and thump them. :lol-2:

Yellow spot as in liver spot?
Yeah, Im not sure what you mean by yellow spot or even thump by that matter but I don't think I want to find out....
:shock::oops::sick:

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
We go in person because when I did online ordering due to being in quarantine (so no choice) they messed up my deli order. Instead of the one and a half pounds I needed they only gave me half a pound. Couldn’t even go pick up an order curbside so we were stuck. The delivery fee for another trip would have cost as much as the order.

There are also products in store that I know they have that don’t show up for online ordering.

Completely agree, my order was missing half of the items on the list. Out of frustration I went the next day all items were in stock and wasn't due to Whole foods receiving a shipment.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Completely agree, my order was missing half of the items on the list. Out of frustration I went the next day all items were in stock and wasn't due to Whole foods receiving a shipment.

If I experienced this, I would give up too. During lockdown, the stores were out of so many items. I ordered extra of everything just so that I could make two weeks worth of meals. Kind of a throw something at the wall and see what sticks approach.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Yes. YMMV.

Weird question, but a serious one...what if you could actually see the Coronavirus in the air? Let’s say as it was coming out of other shoppers’ and workers’ noses and mouths it lit up like a bunch of tiny fireflies.

Would you still go shopping?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, Im not sure what you mean by yellow spot or even thump by that matter but I don't think I want to find out....

Next time you see a watermelon have a look and you will see it has a large spit of yellow skin on it - maybe that's the part that touched the ground when it was grown

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just an apparently failed attempt at humor, in response to Slick1's advive on picking a good watermelon. :cry2:

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weird question, but a serious one...what if you could actually see the Coronavirus in the air? Let’s say as it was coming out of other shoppers’ and workers’ noses and mouths it lit up like a bunch of tiny fireflies.

Would you still go shopping?

Hehe in Australia they would lock all those people up in quarantine so that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
We have been using Instacart, Amazon Fresh and local curbside pick-up since March. We were only going to the grocery during early Senior hours if there was something we forgot to order, and can't wait for.
DH is an admitted recreational grocery shopper and he is 100% converted. He actually says he would be happy to never set foot in a grocery store again. We have always purchased many specialty ingredients online anyway.
Absolutely no issues with produce--and it seems that is the hardest thing for folks to allow someone else to select.

We are happy to pay slightly more for groceries to help keep people employed. We are currently tipping way above normal to try to help those who are delivering our groceries or DoorDash meals.
This is a huge part of our choice to do deliveries. We are able to afford it and want to help keep people earning money.

If we were financially strapped we would shop during senior hours as infrequently as possible.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Hehe in Australia they would lock all those people up in quarantine so that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Ha Ha! But seriously, most supermarket parking lots are almost full near me whenever I drive by. That means there are at least 100, maybe even 200, people in there at most times of the day. So chances are good that there are at least 1 or 2 infected people in there spreading the virus around. Or who spread it around and left. (I’m in the U.S., Covid Central).

Imagine if you could see the virus in the air and on surfaces. Would you still go in?

I think most people, presented with visual proof, would go running out the door. But since we can’t see it, many of us just walk right in.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer to pick out my own produce and groceries. I always go grocery shopping early in the morning when the store is less crowded. So far so good.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even without a pandemic, grocery stores are home to a lot of ick.

Reusable bags get a temporary banning at my local when we are in alert level two and above
but they let you take their basket out to the car and pack them out there
i know the big supernarket had someone cleaning the trolleys after each use durring lockdown but ive never seen a basket looking freshly washed

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yucky shopping carts?
That's why, for years now, I have kept two of these InstaCrates in my car.
There are more in my garage that I use for various things.

They're about 8 bucks at Costco and are handy for many things around the house.
They also sized to accommodate letter-sized hanging file folders. :clap:

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 6.36.33 PM.png

I put 1 or 2 in my shopping cart, then put my groceries in the crates.
My food never touches the dirty interior surfaces of the cart.
Back at my car I put each crate on disposable newspaper.
At home I wipe down the bottom, and inside, of each InstaCrate with 70% IA.

Sure the cashier still must handle my merchandise, but even there my food doesn't have to touch that dirty conveyor belt since I hand each item to him/her when they are ready.
They also don't mind handing each item directly back to me so it does not touch the other moving belt they usually put it on after scanning.
None of them have ever minded doing this for me.

Also, I never need to buy/waste bags from the food stores.
Each holds maybe 3 bags of food, which means fewer trips from my trunk to the kitchen. :dance:

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use Instacart or Amazon prime for Whole Foods. I pay the 9.99/month for free Instacart deliveries which is reimbursed by one of my credit cards so I really pay nothing for delivery. It also reduces the service fee to $1.00. So basically I pay the $1.00 plus the tip and since I'm not paying for gas to go to the store, it really doesn't cost much more. Yes, I'd prefer to pick out my own produce, but it has only been a few times that what I received was not great. The good shoppers here tend to text when what you have ordered isn't available and they will send you a photo of what they are replacing with so you can either accept it or not. I've only been to the grocery store twice since March, and that was back a couple of months when my state's case count was down to about 200 a day. Now it's back up to close to 3000. Everything that is delivered that is perishable gets either wiped or washed. If it isn't perishable it stays in the garage until I need it so it sits for several days. Maybe I'm paranoid, but when I did go to the store, it was kind of strange. People not following the arrows to move in one direction, not staying far enough away, masks below their noses, etc. So I'd rather not go and I feel like the people who are working for the shopping services need the work and I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford the incrementally higher price I might pay for the goods and for the tip.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
For about the past 5 or 10 years most major supermarkets in the U.S. had health care clinics in them. You could see a nurse practitioner for all of your infectious disease needs, then go pick out a rotisserie chicken, fix yourself a salad at the salad bar, and munch on a few grapes on your way out. :lickout: :lol:

I haven’t been in a supermarket since March, so I don’t know if these clinics are still open.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For about the past 5 or 10 years most major supermarkets in the U.S. had health care clinics in them. ...

Most?
I've never seen one in a Southern California supermarket.
Your post is the first I've ever even heard of it.

I have, however, seen little bank branches in supers.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most?
I've never seen one in a Southern California supermarket.
This is the first I've ever even heard of it.

I have seen little bank branches in supers, though.

I'm in New England and Wegman's,seem to have pharmacies, others may, but it seems to be in the shopping spots that don't seem to have stand alone CVS or Walgreens. Probably some non-compete clause in the leases. I don't really pay attention though as I don't use pharmacies other than the one in my small community.Target definitely does although not technically a grocery, they do sell food so the same sanitary issues with food would apply I assume.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Supermarket health care clinics in the U.S.:
Kroger, Fry’s, King Sooper’s, Dillons, ShopRite, Giant Eagle,
H-E-B Stores, and Jewel-Osco (not listed but most of the
J-O supermarkets in the Chicago suburbs have clinics). And of course Walmart, Target, CVS, and Walgreens have clinics inside the stores.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Sally.
Interesting.

Your Wiki-link states they are in only 41 of America's 50 states.
Perhaps California is one of the other 9 states without them, explaining why I was unaware of them.

I guess states vary too. :mrgreen:

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.15.33 PM.png

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
If memory serves me, California Starbucks have signs posted, warning that coffee causes cancer. California is probably more cautious about most health issues, such as treating pneumonia at the end of the frozen dinner aisle.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're free to move to the state with others who are as F-ed up in the same ways as we are.

I think we could all find lots of stuff in every state that is is stoopid.

California probably has signs in fertility clinics and hospital maternity wards warning ... LIFE HAS BEEN PROVEN TO END IN DEATH.
Whatevs. :roll:

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I’m actually very picky with food and abhor regular grocery stores/factory farming etc. But I feel I am definitely one of the people you speak of! I wfh, and literally the only place I go is the grocery store .
I hate hearing the excuses about grocery shopping for mental health. Don’t buy it. That’s like the people who go places to ‘browse’, breathing on everyone and touching everything, taking up a customer space in a small store and not buying anything. Waste of time and money for businesses. I also don’t like the complaints of substitutions or produce, as you can normally specify that kind of stuff. I also do realize it’s a risky activity, considering I’m being so so careful otherwise.
That said, I will not take away a pickup/delivery spot from someone truly in need, and I’m also cheap AF and won’t pay someone else to do this. I shop sales like 99% of the time (and considering my meat and veg are way way more than at your regular old superstore it adds up!), and can’t fathom paying extra on top of our already inflated grocery costs. During the summer/early fall I got farm share (csa) deliveries and also bought fresh farm meat so it wasn’t an issue. Going into winter I’ve had to the store a bit more but try to be strategic.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only grocery stores I’ve been to that didn’t have a pharmacy in them are Aldi’s and Trader Joe’s. Never even occurred to me that is not the case everywhere but I don’t use them so it’s easy to forget they are there.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in New England and Wegman's seem to have pharmacies ...

IIRC I've seen pharmacies in corners of supermarkets here in CA, but never an actual medical clinic.
I'm not saying they don't exist; I've just never seen one.

But then, I rarely go to a main line commercial supermarket chain.
I food shop at Costco, Winco, farmer's market, Trader Joe's, 99cent Only, and a local tiny supermarket that caters to people from south of the border; I'm almost always the only caucasian in the store.

Prices of their produce are a tiny fraction of prices in the supermarket chains that cater to y'allz white folks.
Also they don't sell apples the size of a baby's head.
Produce that unnatural makes me suspicious.
My white neighbors and friends kinda fall silent when they find out I shop there in that neighborhood.
Love it! :dance:

I'm not a good gay person, or a good white person.
I'm surprised they haven't taken my membership cards away.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results