shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you still go to the grocery store?

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Some of the fun conditions diagnosed and treated inside supermarkets, per Wikipedia:

colds, flu, strep, sinus and ear infections
pinkeye :shock: (I’ve seen a couple of cases while waiting for a rx)
head lice
ringworm
diarrhea and intestinal infections
mystery rashes (OK, I added “mystery”)

Sign inside Kroger grocery store, Toledo, OH:
1606366140615.jpeg

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Just an apparently failed attempt at humor, in response to Slick1's advive on picking a good watermelon. :cry2:

Don't cry! Damn you pulling at my heartstrings!

I don't wanna see anyone cry, not even you Kenny!!

Here's that happy doggy & her pile of leaves to cheer you up!!

fnmstellaleafsmile110118.jpg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
For about the past 5 or 10 years most major supermarkets in the U.S. had health care clinics in them. You could see a nurse practitioner for all of your infectious disease needs, then go pick out a rotisserie chicken, fix yourself a salad at the salad bar, and munch on a few grapes on your way out. :lickout: :lol:

I haven’t been in a supermarket since March, so I don’t know if these clinics are still open.

I've been aware of pharmacies attached/inside of supermarkets but live in the southwest, & have never seen or have even heard of an actual clinic inside of a grocery store or supermarket. The idea of being treated inside one is counterintuitive to me but that's just me.

Are there really supermarkets and grocery stores in the US that contain actual clinics where one is actually seen by a medical professional??

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:mrgreen:

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I've been aware of pharmacies attached/inside of supermarkets but live in the southwest, & have never seen or have even heard of an actual clinic inside of a grocery store or supermarket. The idea of being treated inside one is counterintuitive to me but that's just me.

Are there really supermarkets and grocery stores in the US that contain actual clinics where one is actually seen by a medical professional??

Yep! From earlier post - This is a sign inside a Kroger grocery store in Ohio:
1606367071854.jpeg

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yep! From earlier post - This is a sign inside a Kroger grocery store in Ohio:
1606367071854.jpeg

How weird! :think:

It looks more like a fast food menu than a clinics flier!
I've truly never seen one of those in my life.
Idk, something about it all makes me feel kinda
weird but I can't put my finger on it.

I don't think I'd shop for groceries at a location that
has an in house clinic either, especially during the
pandemic. Somebody running in to grab a prescription or
a OTC medication- okay, but people sitting down and waiting,
I can only imagine all of the sickness percolating.

inne

Shiny_Rock
We have done both grocery delivery and in-person shopping (well, my husband does the in-person shopping). If we still lived in England, I would probably gladly order delivery exclusively - they really had it down almost 20 years ago! Or even in the US. I've never had issues there.

But here in Canada, grocery delivery is still relatively new and weirdly inefficient. It ends up being so much more expensive, my order is often incomplete (allegedly products aren't in the store even though I have been able to find it 100% of the time), and substitutions are often just really weird. Like, I ordered a normal-sized blue cheese and I received some kind of super value pack of blue cheese the size of a dinner plate. Or a bag of clementines is replaced by two oranges. Or they don't give the right instructions at the deli. Or I say 'no substitutions' and end up not having enough ingredients to make a meal and have to place another order. Almost every time I just end up being annoyed. And there's really only one grocery store to order from.

Cases are relatively low here and people are very good about masks and distancing in shops, so my husband feels safe enough to go. If that were not the case, we'd put up with the delivery issues.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1606367071854.jpeg

I'm suspicious.

That sign (in my mind) implies that for $85 they cure each of those 26 ailments.
Hmmmmmmmm ... uh, yeah right ... :think:

Kenny ain't no doctor, I don't even play one on TV, but, I'm just wondering, might resolution of these medical conditions sometimes be a tad more complicated than what one $85 visit will cover?

IOW, might this kind of "medicine" suck the ... uhm ... uh ... less-well-informed folks in to what ends up being a bait and switch?
I can only imagine the zillion pages of indecipherable legal fine print that users must agree to. :nono:

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting
Is watermelon the only produce item for which you must witness the harvest?
May I ask why?

Do you go to the farm, walk around the live ones on the vine to select the one you tell them to cut?

Still, what are your criteria for watermelon selection?

I definitely prefer tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cantaloupe, and as much else as I can get harvested that way. Watermelon from the stores here are very bland and just meh. The ones from east of the mountains right out of the field are super flavorful and just a whole different thing. I like them to have some scarring and heavier than they look. DH didn't understand until I brought one home for him to try.

My favorite family farm is a long drive (about four hours away) and lets me walk through their garden and pick everything myself. Love them! Been visiting almost every summer since I found them. Started as a small patch with barely a name and has grown to be big enough they go to farmers markets in that area.

ETA: the hotter, drier weather east of the mountains here makes a huge difference. I posted photos in some of the food threads here. The tomatoes and everything were just gorgeous. Produce grown locally to me doesn't compare. The stuff east of the mountains fresh off that far is the best I have ever had. The local farms are still better than grocery store options, but pale (literally -- the color and flavor are both much fainter) in comparison to that farm.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info, Too Patient.
I'm very jealous you get to have that wonderful farm-fresh experience - so rare and precious these days.

One of my friends has a vege garden in their backyard and the toms and fresh basil are to die for.
Best I've ever tasted.
Come harvest time they give me tons and I make a huge pot of delishioso marinara sauce.
It simmers all day then I fill the freezer with single servings that you'd think would last for months but somehow it vanishes in a few weeks.

Their previous home owners did something very expensive to their soil (I suspect they cut away the topsoil and bought new excellent soil.
After that everything they grow is like magic!

One wonderful childhood memory, that I never enjoy anymore is freshly-picked corn on the cob.
OMG!
As a kid we picked it at a farm and rushed it to the stove within 30 minutes.
It was soooooo sweet! :cheeky:

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info, Too Patient.
I'm very jealous you get to have that wonderful farm-fresh experience - so rare and precious these days.

One of my friends has a vege garden in their backyard and the toms and fresh basil are to die for.
Best I've ever tasted.
Come harvest time they give me tons and I make a wonderful marinara sauce I simmer all day then fill the freezer with servings that you'd think would last for months but vanish in a few weeks.

The previous home owners did something very expensive to their soil and everything they grow is like magic monster produce.

One fantastic thing I never get any more if fresh corn on the cob.
As a kid we picked it went from the plant to the stove within 30 minutes.
It was soooooo sweet! :cheeky:

i wish i could give you all my basil
i like the smell but not the taste except in pesto

when i was little i remember mum freezing a huge amount of fresh corn
i sat at the kitchen bench on a stole and helped peel it
every single ear had a bite out of it

after i got my front teeth fixed last year im too scared to eat corn on the cob any more

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm I've absolutely seen pharmacies in Walmart and Target and the local groceries here but there have never been clinics. I have only seen those in Walgreens and CVS. I usually use one of my local Urgent care centres though because they have a sliding scale for those of us without insurance. Max we will pay is 250 and that's for more complicated stuff. Anything they can't treat is emergency room or further treatment from your personal doctor level stuff. They're usually not very busy. Probably because of the competition from the CVSs' and the Walgreens' lol. I would love if eventually those other stores did get some clinics. It would help make cheaper care more available.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of the fun conditions diagnosed and treated inside supermarkets, per Wikipedia:

colds, flu, strep, sinus and ear infections
pinkeye :shock: (I’ve seen a couple of cases while waiting for a rx)
head lice
ringworm
diarrhea and intestinal infections
mystery rashes (OK, I added “mystery”)

Sign inside Kroger grocery store, Toledo, OH:
1606366140615.jpeg

Nice! Pick up a little diarrhea with your milk and eggs!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

after i got my front teeth fixed last year im too scared to eat corn on the cob any more

My teeth make it hard to eat the usual way so I cut it off after cooking. A chef knife works well and they also make a special fool for it that is a little safer but takes a bit of practice.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use delivery when its available and reality is, they are very easily overwhelmed here. The last month was a no-go for delivery. I don't do Costco, I do bj's and they don't have delivery in my area. If I'm going to get the dog's food, no delivery for components thereof as its home made.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My teeth make it hard to eat the usual way so I cut it off after cooking. A chef knife works well and they also make a special fool for it that is a little safer but takes a bit of practice.

:mrgreen2:
when i was a wee kid corn on the cobb served like that we called caterpillars
ive never tried myself
I'm sure I'd loose a finger
thanks for the info
ill keep an eye out for the little tool

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:mrgreen2:
when i was a wee kid corn on the cobb served like that we called caterpillars
ive never tried myself
I'm sure I'd loose a finger
thanks for the info
ill keep an eye out for the little tool

a mango knife (Arcos curved knife) works perfectly and is what I use.......

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure grocery delivery is available in my area, but I do not use it.

For me personally, I do prefer to select my own items. As others mentioned, the grocery store has a financial incentive to fulfill orders by moving product that is closer to expiration. As it is, they already do that in-store - the milk with later expiration is placed in the back, etc. That may not pose an issue to households with enough members, but for my two-person abode, it takes us longer to go through product, so I care about expiration dates.

I also am not a fan of substitutions - I prefer the brand of ham I order at the deli, for example, and I do not want another brand of ham in its place. I'd rather skip it for a week than get something I don't like enough to eat.

I don't personally think it's an "all or nothing" risk proposition to self-shop. Risk can be mitigated by going early or going post-dinner when there are far fewer shoppers. Buying non-perishables in bulk (also during way non-peak hours) and supplementing with online shopping means that my grocery trips are shorter and more tactical as I'm normally going just for perishables. When I do go, I keep an eye out for other shoppers who don't seem to understand what six feet looks like, and I navigate away from them instead.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go to the grocery store because I like to eat. Nobody does online delivery out here. I live in horse country NJ, so I guess it's not densely populated enough to make delivery possible. I'm just glad I found a couple of pizza places that deliver! (Pizza is a food group in NJ)

elizat

Ideal_Rock

Basil is good added to a watermelon and feta salad with olive oil!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if we will have delivery available at our new house. Of that happens, I will have to go in person but will do my best to plan ahead so no more than every couple of weeks and at quiet times with few people around. (I am not entirely sure Amazon will deliver either. Hoping they do!)

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if we will have delivery available at our new house. Of that happens, I will have to go in person but will do my best to plan ahead so no more than every couple of weeks and at quiet times with few people around. (I am not entirely sure Amazon will deliver either. Hoping they do!)

If they don't deliver, there should be pick up available. Many places who don't do delivery do contact free pick up here. They scan your QR or bar code outside and load into your trunk. It's the same risk level as delivery (you in your own car, one delivery person, masked and distanced)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The latest reason I still go to the store is so I don’t end up paying double for some deli ham.

I was feeling lazy so instead of going shopping last week, I scheduled a delivery. First I found that they charged me for something I didn’t have. Then, I discovered that instead of paying $6.99/lb for deli ham I ordered, I was given $11.99/lb for the most expensive one they carry o_O
That was nearly $20 for lunch meat!

Not doing that again.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results