shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you still go to the grocery store?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do curbside pickup at Fred Meyer once every week or two. Instacart delivery once every month or so. Amazon monthly shipping on most recurring needs that aren't perishable. Amazon Fresh every so often.

There is one store I go in person once every month or two. I know when it is quiet and get there when there is maybe 1-2 other customers and minimal staff. Huge packages if meat (I cut at home) and huge quantities of certain produce that lasts a long time.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
We have no choice.
Because I live in rural-ish Maine the closest chain grocery store is 30 mins away, BJ's 1 hr. DH is my hero and takes an entire day to hit grocery/T-Joe's/BJ's for the big trips every month and will go on 'fresh' runs for me every week. We have a ridiculous amount of food storage. Most people in Maine are a bit of a prepper by necessity. Luckily for a large part of the year there are great farmer's markets, local meats/seafood and a plethora of specialty items close by. It's winter that's the PIA.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because I enjoy grocery shopping, browsing the aisles for new items, and I like picking out my own produce, meat, eggs, etc.

I like to analyze the labels, compare prices, see what is on sale, try different brands—much easier to do this sort of shopping in person.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because I enjoy grocery shopping, browsing the aisles for new items, and I like picking out my own produce, meat, eggs, etc.

I like to analyze the labels, compare prices, see what is on sale, try different brands—much easier to do this sort of shopping in person.

Your description of meandering through the isles makes me miss Target. One day, I will be reunited with my favorite store.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
For us we have already had it and recovered so maybe it is a different perspective in that we aren’t worried about catching the virus. It still does annoy me to see all the rule breakers though.

I think I kind of agree. Other half works on base. There have been multiple positive tests. He's been in close contact with them. I am pretty sure he's already brought it home.

We both had a time in March where we had sore throats, were exhausted, lethargic, low fevers and all we wanted to do was sleep. I suspect we may have already had it.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
We have a compromised person in our household. This is why we use this service

This is an interesting point of view. It’s been my experience that people just drop the groceries off on the front porch. They don’t come in contact with us at all. I wave at them from the window. Even with alcohol, I show them my ID through the window.

As far as the risk to the people who are providing the service, I see this as a means of employment for these people. I tip well, 30% on large orders. I will start tipping 30% at all times now that it is the holidays. These are hard times with people out of work. This is how people are putting food on the table right now. What would they do otherwise?

I think there will always be a demand for the service. I think tipping is important because they are paid poorly.

I know of elderly that rely upon these folks to bring it inside because they can't lift or do stairs. There may be a lot of contact free, but I don't think contact free is always the norm based upon what I know. A friend has an elderly dad and he uses the service, but needs them to carry it to the kitchen. He stays in another room and mask, but it's not contactless.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I kind of agree. Other half works on base. There have been multiple positive tests. He's been in close contact with them. I am pretty sure he's already brought it home.

We both had a time in March where we had sore throats, were exhausted, lethargic, low fevers and all we wanted to do was sleep. I suspect we may have already had it.

I wish there were reliable antibody tests out there. We actually suspect we had it in this house back in March, but we can’t know. My son got very sick with fever and lung involvement and a negative flu test. He coughed for two months after he recovered. My husband and I both had wheezy lungs for weeks and no illness.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there will always be a demand for the service. I think tipping is important because they are paid poorly.

I know of elderly that rely upon these folks to bring it inside because they can't lift or do stairs. There may be a lot of contact free, but I don't think contact free is always the norm based upon what I know. A friend has an elderly dad and he uses the service, but needs them to carry it to the kitchen. He stays in another room and mask, but it's not contactless.

Good point. I guess I was so stuck in my own narrow view that I didn’t see the bigger picture. Thank you.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use curb-side pick up, Instacart, and Amazon for everything. I haven’t been in a store since mid March.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because I always forget things when I put in my grocery pick-up order so I'll need to run in and grab a few items. Believe me,
if I didnt have to go in I would be thrilled but no matter how hard I try...I still forget something that I need to cook a meal I planned
(so I have all the other parts but I'm missing a part).

Its frustrating. I really like grocery pick-up. I just need to get better at ordering everything I need.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't gone into a grocery store in over seven years.

I have been using the curbside pickup of my favorite grocery store in all that time. I hate grocery shopping. I never learned how to choose produce wisely and for whatever reason am not motivated to learn, so the store shoppers do a better job than I would. I can indicate 'no substitution' on any items, and I can indicate specific substitutions also. I have been very happy with what I have received, and have hardly had any issues with substitutions. I can only remember one time when I received fruit that wasn't fresh - they really seem to go out of their way to make sure that curbside customers get excellent items.

When the pandemic started, I was not able to get a slot for months. I missed my store! We used home delivery options when we could get them and DH made just a couple of runs when we couldn't go any longer. Sure, the pandemic impacted supply and subs were a little more erratic on the home deliveries, but I completely expected that and rolled with it.

Going into a grocery store is misery to me in non-pandemic times, and the pandemic sure doesn't help. Curbside at my favorite grocery store returned to (mostly) normal a few months back, which has been wonderful.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer to select and pack my own groceries, and to bring it home immediately and unpack it. Grocery shopping in person may be a risk in these pandemic times, but in my own circumstances I judge it a slight risk.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone wipe down their groceries?

I do. I hate doing it but I can’t help it. I keep picturing scenarios of fomite transmission on the grocery items. Then I end up in the thinking that tells me what if this is the one thing that kills my husband? For this reason, I wipe.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very specific with my food orders. I do NOT want "substitutions". I only go to Trader Joe's. They are still limiting the amount of people in the stores and are constantly cleaning. I trust them. I will also add that in "the beginning" you could NOT get a delivery slot around here. AT ALL. So I just got used to sucking it up and going out. Mask wearing here is very thorough, along in general with people being respectful in stores.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
We have weekly grocery shopping delivered, have done for the past 18 years. But I still occasionally go to the supermarket for a nosy round the shelves, to see what's new and interesting that I won't necessarily browse when shopping online. Masks are mandatory and I use my own sanitiser when we leave but I don't view it as a risky activity.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We never wiped the groceries down, when the pandemic first started we would only buy bagged produce. For example a bag of apples instead of picking them loose. Other than that we do everything like we always have.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone wipe down their groceries?

I do. I hate doing it but I can’t help it. I keep picturing scenarios of fomite transmission on the grocery items. Then I end up in the thinking that tells me what if this is the one thing that kills my husband? For this reason, I wipe.

Yes.

My SO wipes down all packaging with 70% Iso alcohol, or lets certain things sit in a corner for 72 hours ( like boxes we don't need to open soon and delivered mail)
Things like apples and tomatoes get washed with dish soap and water.
Leafy things like parsley get dipped in soapy water then rinsed over and over again.
We use a lot of water, but we didn't have kids, the worse thing anyone can do to the environment.

It's all a huge hassle, but I do all the shopping and he does all the cleaning of what comes into our house.
He insists on doing this and it's one time his OCD is a godsend.
We are committed to not getting Covid and accept the hassle.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
It would take me SO much longer to find items online than in the shop.

I can never remember certain names of items or brands but I know where they “live” in the shop & can see the item straight away.

I wouldn’t want anyone else picking out my meat, fruit or veg.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We do not wipe groceries down, but we do what Kenny and his SO do and put any new items in a corner or the garage for 3-4 days, and no one touches the outer packaging until after the 4 days have passed.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have been using Instacart since March. We wipe everything down before bringing it in the house. I’m so grateful for the people that are doing the shopping and delivery that if something is not exactly what I ordered, I could really care less.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I need to get out of the house occasionally, so shopping fills that need for me. I am particular on brands and I like to pick out my own produce. I do not wipe down my groceries while un-bagging.

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
What I hear over and over again is that personally choosing your groceries is worth the risk of catching Covid. Is this right?
Ll
Well, like Kenny brought up - how much safer is delivery really if at all. You have more people directly handling your groceries, and if not done perfectly then increasing your risk.

Look, you may need to feel the need to stay inside for a year, but that doesn't mean people going out some while following precautions are doing it wrong.

You do you. But, stop fear mongering and accusing people of not caring.

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
- leaving the delivery options for vulnerable people

- few slots available

- my local organic farm shops don't offer it and are sufficiently distanced or outside to not be a problem

- gross produce (I have tried to order some quite hardy vegetables like celeriac, beets , rutabaga and they were wrinkled or moldy... So, no thanks)

- about 20-25 more expensive.

It's illegal here to not pay an hourly wage (which is a good thing I'm home), so they make everything 20-25% more expensive.

All this together has me shopping in person.

Masked, gloved, distanced

You are doing fine. No need to defend yourself just because you aren't keeping yourself locked in your house 100% of the time.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ll
Well, like Kenny brought up - how much safer is delivery really if at all. You have more people directly handling your groceries, and if not done perfectly then increasing your risk.

Look, you may need to feel the need to stay inside for a year, but that doesn't mean people going out some while following precautions are doing it wrong.

You do you. But, stop fear mongering and accusing people of not caring.

Where in the world did I fear monger or accuse anyone of not caring? How strange of you to put words in my mouth!

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
Where in the world did I fear monger or accuse anyone of not caring? How strange of you to put words in my mouth!

That thing you wrote about picking out your own produce being more important than putting yourself at risk for C-19...

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That thing you wrote about picking out your own produce being more important than putting yourself at risk for C-19...

You’re adding your own interpretation to what I said. It should be taken for face value. It was just a question.

listen, I don’t do passive aggressive. If I am judging you, you will know!

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
You’re adding your own interpretation to what I said. It should be taken for face value. It was just a question.

listen, I don’t do passive aggressive. If I am judging you, you will know!

I directly quoted you in my first post. No interpretation there. Maybe you didn't mean to form your question in such a dramatic and judgemental way? I get that.

One thing that has come across overall from your posts, in this thread and others, is that you are very anxious and desperately fear the COVID. Anyone going outside is risking their lives and others. No need to go outside or be around anyone but the person who lives with you at all. That's your problem. It doesn't make others wrong. Most of us are compromised in some way or live with someone who is. You and your spouse's situation is really no different. You are just handling it differently.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I directly quoted you in my first post. No interpretation there. Maybe you didn't mean to form your question in such a dramatic and judgemental way? I get that.

One thing that has come across overall from your posts, in this thread and others, is that you are very anxious and desperately fear the COVID. Anyone going outside is risking their lives and others. No need to go outside or be around anyone but the person who lives with you at all. That's your problem. It doesn't make others wrong. Most of us are compromised in some way or live with someone who is. You and your spouse's situation is really no different. You are just handling it differently.

You are literally starting trouble where there is none. Not sorry that my way of life somehow triggers you. It’s time you take your chronic negativity out on someone else.

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
I
You are literally starting trouble where there is none. Not sorry that my way of life somehow triggers you. It’s time you take your chronic negativity out on someone else.

I'm fine. I'm not afraid of leaving my house and smoking pot every day and then verbally spanking anyone who does leave their house.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results