shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you live where you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
diamond--where do you live in NJ? We''re thinking of moving there, and looking for some nice towns.

i think if i didn''t live in the NY area, I would consider So Cal...not LA so much, but a nice beach town (like TG describes!).

Zoe: Living in NYC really isn''t as daunting as you may think. No need for the car since everything''s easy to get to and of course we have grocery stores every few blocks (and there are Trader Joe,s, Wholefoods here too). It''s not like most people live in the middle of Times Sq or Rock Center, which is what you might be imagining. It does get suffocating at times with all the people and concrete, but then again everything and anything is at our fingertips (all kinds of foods, every major store/headquarters/tv studio) and we don''t have to deal with a commute every day (which is probably a couple of hours a day saved!). When there''s a show at Madison Sq Garden, we just walk over. Or if we need something at Macy''s, it''s 10 blocks away. But of course, we don''t have a lot of space--and once you''re married and thinking long term, space becomes more important, so we''re looking to the ''burbs which is what most couples do as well!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We live in a suburban city 20 minutes outside the city of San Diego. My husband was born and raised in the city of SD; I have lived in CA, from LA to Sacramento and now here, since I was 2. I originally moved to SD to be closer to my husband, his mom was elderly and sick, so I was the more mobile person. We have considered moving to Chicago -- because of the high taxes, price of property, and overall cost of living here and my husband''s ability to run his business more successfully there -- but stayed here because it''s too far from my family (my parents live in LA County, a 2.5 hour drive, and my sister, her husband, and their son are in Northern CA, a 1.5 hour plane ride).

We chose this city to be our home because the government is extremely well run, the city of San Diego is so poorly run it is broke (it is inconceivable to me that a city with a tourist population as large as San Diego''s doesn''t have a surplus of money), it has a great school district, I am studying to be a teacher, and we can afford a house here on a large piece of property in a community my husband has always wanted to live.

For my husband''s sake, I wish I could move to Chicago. If we decide we don''t want children it will be an option again. I just can''t imagine having a child(ren) and not living close to my parents, I think we''re too far away as it is.

Aside from the reasons I mentioned that caused us to consider to move, I absolutely love where we live.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 9:43:00 AM
Author: janinegirly
diamond--where do you live in NJ? We''re thinking of moving there, and looking for some nice towns.

i think if i didn''t live in the NY area, I would consider So Cal...not LA so much, but a nice beach town (like TG describes!).

Zoe: Living in NYC really isn''t as daunting as you may think. No need for the car since everything''s easy to get to and of course we have grocery stores every few blocks (and there are Trader Joe,s, Wholefoods here too). It''s not like most people live in the middle of Times Sq or Rock Center, which is what you might be imagining. It does get suffocating at times with all the people and concrete, but then again everything and anything is at our fingertips (all kinds of foods, every major store/headquarters/tv studio) and we don''t have to deal with a commute every day (which is probably a couple of hours a day saved!). When there''s a show at Madison Sq Garden, we just walk over. Or if we need something at Macy''s, it''s 10 blocks away. But of course, we don''t have a lot of space--and once you''re married and thinking long term, space becomes more important, so we''re looking to the ''burbs which is what most couples do as well!!
Lets all remember that New York is not reality by any means BUT it does have EVERYTHING a person could want. New York is a perfect place for a young professional fresh out of college (which is when my friends and myself moved here). I originally was born and raised just outside of Philly - I will always LOVE that area Diamondfan!
36.gif
But, I knew NYC was where I could find the best job opportunties (with better pay) and where I grew-up wasn''t far from the city so it seemed like the obvious choice. I truly adore NYC - it''s a remarkable city and living here makes you a stronger person.

Of course it''s safe - as long as you use your brain! Don''t ever walk alone at night, don''t open your wallet in front of mass crowds of people, stay out of bad neighborhoods, etc. - isn''t this case for wherever you live?? Also, I happen to live downtown (near battery park) and let me tell you, after living on the Upper East Side, it''s completely different down there.

All the "Wall Streeters" go home at night and it''s a peaceful and quiet place (yes, believe it or not New York isn''t all hustle and bustle). Everynight we walk our dog down on the promonade which runs along the Hudson river and watch the sunset over the Statue of Liberty - it''s just wonderful and certainly does NOT feel like I''m in a ''big'' city. Plus, downtown is currently going through one of the country''s largest redevelopment projects ever - W hotel, Thomas Pink, Hermes, Tiffany''s, Canali, Trader Joe''s, Cartier, Prada, Barney’s, Bulgari, and Tod’s are all coming downtown...what more could a girl want!?
3.gif

Now that I''m married, I am thinking of moving to ''burs too, but whever I live MUST be close to the city because I would be bored to tears after living here for 7 years.
2.gif
And yes, I do enjoy leaving my bubble once in a while and joining the rest of civilization - I think New Yorkers need to get away from time to time, but I''m always happy to come home since there''s no place like it!
5.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun thread Zoe!

I was born and raised in New Mexico for most of my life. I love it here. My state is wonderful because there is skiing, great mountains and a beautiful desert. Also, you could drive north and it is very green and there is great camping. If I want cute boutique shopping I drive to Santa Fe and it is only 1 hr away and such a cool city! If I want to hike or bike I just go to the Sandias only a few miles away.

My hubby is from Virginia and lived in the Fan District of Richmond and his yard was the size of postage stamp. Hubby moved here after some of his friends moved here and he found a great job and we met at work. He didn't plan on staying here and I did not want to live in Virginia because I felt a little claustrophobic with all the trees and no mountains. It is beautiful and green but I would rather live in DC if we had to move East.

Sometimes we daydream about moving; we have plans of buying a second house in 10 years. The only drawback to living here is that you end up knowing everyone here which has pros and cons. My city has blue sky's and sunny most of the year; it snows but not too often. We have great views in every direction. We do not have humidity and it never gets too crazy hot so I enjoy living here and my family is here.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
hi blushing, great post
emsmile.gif

where do you live in nyc? we live midtown west. do you guys have a short list of ''burb towns you might move to? it''s kind of overwhelming starting the search! plus i hate commuting, but it''ll be nice to have space and a yard!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in Dublin, Ireland and have all my life. All my friends and family are here, I go to college here and I love it. I''d say that D and I will stay living in Ireland all our lives and I really can''t see us moving out of Dublin. I need to be near to the shops!
I love living here as you can get to anywhere in a couple of hours flight, plus you can be in the city and drive half an hour and be in the Dublin or Wicklow mountains. The only thing that I really hate is the weather! It''s miserable so much of the time
14.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I suppose my answer is a two parter. We came to Philadelphia for Nate's cardiology training. And then we bought a house in Lafayette Hill because we got tired of looking at row houses that needed to be renovated. Ironically, we bought a house that needed to be renovated. Wasn't that brilliant . . . .

I've made peace with the fact that wherever Nate gets a job is where we'll be living. However, if he gets an offer in Texas, it's a no go. Pediatric cardiology is a academic oriented specialty and not many hospitals teach it so we could end up anywhere really. He's been talking a lot about Chicago lately. I'm going to be a SAHD for the next few years, but eventually, I'm going to start teaching. I'm not getting a master's for nothing.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
D.C. area due to hubby's job. (I moved here when we got married.) I am a country girl, and not crazy about the beltway traffic & crowds. We've been wanting to move back to southeastern PA where I'm from, to be closer to family and hopefully further from the rat-race, afford more land and bigger house. However, property taxes have gone crazy in SE PA, so I wouldn't even mind moving elsewhere, even further from the rat-race, except until DH retires it's much easier to live near a location that's feasible for his job (such as Philly area).

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 11:22:48 AM
Author: janinegirly
hi blushing, great post
emsmile.gif

where do you live in nyc? we live midtown west. do you guys have a short list of ''burb towns you might move to? it''s kind of overwhelming starting the search! plus i hate commuting, but it''ll be nice to have space and a yard!
Thanks Janinegirly! I live near Battery Park so, right on the tip practically. How''s living in Midtown? Are you close to the West Side Highway? I ask because there a lots of apts and condos going up in that area.

I know! It''s soooo overwhelming. I think we change our minds weekly. We were just in Riverdale, NY visiting family and they gave us a tour of some towns in Westchester - Larchmont, Pelham, Rye Brook - it''s just that the houses are so insanely expensive! But, beautiful area! So, we are looking in Westchester County, New Jersey (Union, Red Bank, Bergen and Monmouth Counties), Port Washington, LI and even considering Bucks County, PA (PA is where I''m originally from).

How about you??

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bee,

You live in Ireland??? How cool is that!!! My brother and his girlfriend were there last year on vacation. They loved your country and the food LOL. They didn''t want to leave. They said the people their were so warm and friendly to them.

Linda

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I live in London because that is where my job is.

Between boarding school and my parents moving around, I don''t really have a ''home'' as such.

The only place I have ever longed for is Tarawa, the island where I grew up - but I don''t want to go back because it will have changed so much it will ruin my wonderful memories.

So far I have lived in Exeter, Winchester, Newcastle, Hastings, London, and about 5 smaller towns in the UK, Belfast in N.Ireland, Tarawa in Kiribati, and Como and Arezzo in Italy.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 1:33:26 PM
Author: Linda W
Bee,

You live in Ireland??? How cool is that!!! My brother and his girlfriend were there last year on vacation. They loved your country and the food LOL. They didn''t want to leave. They said the people their were so warm and friendly to them.

Linda

Hi Linda, yep I live in Dublin. Glad that your brother and his girlfriend enjoyed it. The majority of the people are so friendly and will talk to anyone! Especially outside of Dublin when you go down the country (ie down the country is really anywhere outside of Dublin
3.gif
). You''ll have to come over for a holiday!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Bee, we plan to one day. My brother and his girlfriend stayed in a castle. They loved it so much, they hated to come home.
9.gif

Linda

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 8:45:06 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Because we are morons. We can live anywhere we want. No 2 legged kids, no school, no time clock to punch. We should be staring at the pacific and sucking on a latte. Instead...well we are just morons.

DKS

We exist in a southern mid state...well if you can call it that.
OMG - that is THE funniest thing I've read all week, DKS! Thanks for the hearty laugh!

9.gif

I live in Northern MA near the NH border. I grew up in another New England state and moved here in my mid-20s. I'd prefer to live on the West Coast, but it's insanely expensive, so not really sensible.

Also, my parents still live about 1.5 hours away, and we see them often. I'm in my mid-40s now, and my parents are mid-60s. More than ever before, I'm ACUTELY aware that my parents won't be around forever, and it's important to me not to squander opportunities to spend time with them while they're here. That's the primary thing that keeps me in this area now.

Our plan, though, is to someday relocate to somewhere more temperate in terms of weather and with a lower cost of living. We plan to enjoy all the things our area has to offer now while we have the $$ and the accessibility, and we want to pare down and simplify things as we get closer to retirement.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 3:40:13 PM
Yes Bee, we plan to one day. My brother and his girlfriend stayed in a castle. They loved it so much, they hated to come home.
9.gif

Linda

ooh lovely-which castle did they stay in? We''re having our wedding in a castle in Cavan

http://www.cabracastle.com

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoa Bee, that is one beautiful Castle!!! I am not sure which one my brother and his girlfriend stayed at. I just emailed her and asked her.

Linda

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
cool-I''d love to know which one they stayed at. I''ve stayed in a couple down the country when I''ve been away for weekends-they''re a great place to stay.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I live near Baltimore, MD and I love it. How did I end up here? I left my hometown in the NYC tri-state area to attend a Baltimore-based college, met my husband while at school and I am still here 18 years later. LOL! My husband is a native Baltimoron (Hey hon, how ''bout them O''s! Pass me a Natty Boh!) and his entire family is here.

As much as I am a New Yorker, I consider myself a Baltimoron as well. I attended college in Baltimore, I have lived here full-time since my junior year, I met my husband here, we were married here, my children were born here and my husband''s family has an entire set of crab mallets with each person''s name engraved on them. LOL!

Three years ago, we joined the masses of Marylanders defecting up just over the Mason-Dixon Line into Pennsylvania in search of affordable housing. So, I am now officially a Yankee again. But my heart is still in Bawlmer... DH still works in Baltimore, we root for the O''s/Ravens and we vacation on the Eastern Shore not the Jersey Shore.

We have been tempted to relocate a few times as DH has had opportunity for transfers to some cool spots such as Atlanta, Denver and Toronto. If we did not have kids, we would probably pack up and take the opportunity to live somewhere new. But our kids are young and we are less than an hour from DH''s family. So, we are sticking around for a while. Once the kids are out of the house... who knows where we will end up!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bee,

They loved the Pubs too. They went there every afternoon, they loved to sit and visit with the locals. They met some nice people and had dinner with them almost every night at different restaurants.

Linda

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I live in Hershey, Pa because FI applied to an early acceptance to medical school program right before we started dating, and once he was accepted, he HAD to go to that school. We''re originally from the south hills suburbs of Pittsburgh and have never lived outside Pa in our lives. However, after his next year of med. school, he will be doing a residency through the Navy, and we will most likely have to relocate to a Navy base. I''m terrified because we hear that most people go to either San Diego, Richmond, or Bethesda. I''m definitely a small town girl, and these areas are in or near such big cities that I''m already getting nervous. FI tells me that he thinks there are only a few hospitals with residency programs, but I would LOVE to be stationed at the base in RI if it is an option.

Zoe, great thread, and I''m right there with you hating change!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I was born and raised in Southern California, and while I love the place (particularly the beaches!!), I had a strong desire to move to North Carolina shortly after college. Partly because my parents were born and raised there, and that is where all my family (aside from my parents, brother, sister-in-law, and nieces and nephew) lives. Then I met my *husband* and now I''m in Georgia.

There are things I love about each area. I like the serge of energy that is life in Cali. I like the seasons changing here on the East coast. I like the TONS of malls in Cali, and I like the slower atmosphere in this area. Sure, Atlanta (a mere 35 minutes away) is a bit of the serge and faster life, but somehow, it''s still different. Maybe it''s the southern twang that''s still in the air.

I miss the DRY air. Humidity is for the birds and it makes my hair HUGE. I miss my family. I like the winding, scenic roads that you can find around here just by taking a wrong turn.

I like that homes are so much more affordable in this part of the country. I miss going to the missions along the PCH highway in California. That''s one of the most peaceful, awe-filled drives a person could ever take, I am convinced. The sharp cliffs, the waves slicing into them, gosh I miss the Pacific Coast Highway.

As in most cases in life, there are pluses and minues to everything. All in all, I love where I am now, becuase I''m with my husband in a nice area with leaves that are GORGEOUS! (In the HOT, humid summer, my story is a *little* different, though!!)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 1:07:38 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 11/18/2007 10:43:58 PM
Author: diamondfan
SDL, right now the trees are amazing here. Bright vivid reds, oranges and golds, just gorgeous, especially when the light is right. I love having seasons though bad ice and power outages and no school do not thrill me. I do love the warmth of a cozy fire and having hot cocoa and playing in light pretty snow with my kids and dog, but really do not need blizzards and ice storms and windchills and temps in the negative numbers. I also am not a huge fan of extreme boiling heat and humidity, thank god the beaches are not too far. I love that NY City is so accessible by train, and that Philly is a managable city with some great restaurants, culture, and shopping. Pretty much has it all for us...plus, great historic homes if you are looking!!!!
I know.. I have a friend who''s family lives back there.. And.. *koff* having been a Sopranos fan, I got an idea of some of the area from the same friend.

I have a few historic home sites so I do keep my eyes open for them back there. ;-) My bil lived back there for a while as well, now he commutes occasionally from New Hamphire to NY. He is lucky enough to be able to work from home when he likes. He spoke about living in the Jersey area as well.
Yay, New Hampshire!
9.gif
Just a little shout out to my turf.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 3:38:02 PM
Author: bee*

Bee,

Linda

Hi Linda, yep I live in Dublin. Glad that your brother and his girlfriend enjoyed it. The majority of the people are so friendly and will talk to anyone! Especially outside of Dublin when you go down the country (ie down the country is really anywhere outside of Dublin
3.gif
We loved Dublin and really, all of Ireland, when we went there a few years ago. My FI would seriously consider moving there if the opportunity arose.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Las Vegas because it is where my parents moved to from New Jersey. At the time they came to Vegas it was a great city with good job opportunities. As long as I can remember I have wanted to move. I''m dying for a change. Las Vegas is too commercial, too much crime, too many transients, & while I love heat it is way too hot here, no spring, quick fall. You really can''t enjoy outdoor activities here. Sadly, I will probably never get to try living somewhere.
39.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 6:02:04 PM
Author: Joolskie
I live near Baltimore, MD and I love it. How did I end up here? I left my hometown in the NYC tri-state area to attend a Baltimore-based college, met my husband while at school and I am still here 18 years later. LOL! My husband is a native Baltimoron (Hey hon, how ''bout them O''s! Pass me a Natty Boh!) and his entire family is here.

As much as I am a New Yorker, I consider myself a Baltimoron as well. I attended college in Baltimore, I have lived here full-time since my junior year, I met my husband here, we were married here, my children were born here and my husband''s family has an entire set of crab mallets with each person''s name engraved on them. LOL!

Three years ago, we joined the masses of Marylanders defecting up just over the Mason-Dixon Line into Pennsylvania in search of affordable housing. So, I am now officially a Yankee again. But my heart is still in Bawlmer... DH still works in Baltimore, we root for the O''s/Ravens and we vacation on the Eastern Shore not the Jersey Shore.

We have been tempted to relocate a few times as DH has had opportunity for transfers to some cool spots such as Atlanta, Denver and Toronto. If we did not have kids, we would probably pack up and take the opportunity to live somewhere new. But our kids are young and we are less than an hour from DH''s family. So, we are sticking around for a while. Once the kids are out of the house... who knows where we will end up!

39.gif
I miss Baltimore!!!
39.gif
I grew up in Maryland save for a short stint in NY (Long Island to be exact...lived there for 3 months and then hurricane Gloria destroyed our house
15.gif
). I now reside in the midwest because my hubby is in grad school. It is nice, but not my cup of tea, but on the upside it is really inexpensive to live here. Not sure where we will end up after this, but I have been hearing the west wind calling my name. Only a year and a semester to go, Hoooooraaay!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 6:06:05 PM
Bee,

They loved the Pubs too. They went there every afternoon, they loved to sit and visit with the locals. They met some nice people and had dinner with them almost every night at different restaurants.

Linda

Oh yeah, you can''t beat an Irish pub! Every town, no matter how small it is, has one church and at least 3 pubs
3.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 9:23:01 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Date: 11/19/2007 3:38:02 PM

Author: bee*

Bee,

Linda

3.gif

We loved Dublin and really, all of Ireland, when we went there a few years ago. My FI would seriously consider moving there if the opportunity arose.

Cool-do you ever think that you''d get the chance? I, on the other hand, would love to live in NYC for a little while. We go about once a year and I''d just love to stay a bit longer on one trip.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Bee*

I''m a teacher and I occasionally think about looking into teacher exchange programs or something similar. I think teacher exchange programs attract high school (or even college) teachers moreso than elementary teachers (which is what I am). Every once in a while I daydream about doing it. You csn live anywhere for 1 year, right? You can always retun home after the year is up. That''s what I tell myself but I never get further than thinking about it.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 6:26:18 AM
Author: zoebartlett
Hi Bee*

I''m a teacher and I occasionally think about looking into teacher exchange programs or something similar. I think teacher exchange programs attract high school (or even college) teachers moreso than elementary teachers (which is what I am). Every once in a while I daydream about doing it. You csn live anywhere for 1 year, right? You can always retun home after the year is up. That''s what I tell myself but I never get further than thinking about it.

I''d say that you could get a teacher''s job easy enough in a primary school over here. My friend''s a primary school teacher and she was offered quite a few places when she graduated last yaer. The only thing is that Irish is taught over here to all students so you''d better start learning
3.gif

I''m not sure if I would go for a year at this stage-if I didn''t get veterinary a couple of years ago I probably would have but by the time I graduate I''ll be 29 and will need to get a job! Not sure if D could handle living there either full time. I''ve just got him used to the trips annually.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
blushing-i only just saw your post!

living in midtown west is nice..we''re closer to 9th than West Side Highway and you''re right that there are a lot of new buildings/condos (we''re in one).Iit''s such a convenient area (can walk everywhere including work), but sometimes it''s just so busy and noisy!

we''ve also thought about westchester..but you''re right, it''s so expensive! So most likely it''ll be NJ, so we''ll start the search (Morris, Essex Counties). Let''s keep each other posted, definitely a daunting task. I can''t wait to have some space and greenery, but not so excited for commuting!
2.gif

PS I also heard alot about Riverdale, we''ll have to take a look!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results