shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you like old european cut diamonds?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im new to the idea of OEC diamonds. I'm curious why people prefer them to modern cuts. Thanks.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Why do you like old eurpoean cut diamonds?

I love the broad, chunky facets that produce the checkerboard and flower patterns.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

For me, it's the beautiful pastel colours they return and the chunky facets.

In a linked question, I've never seen a modern antique cut (CER or AVR) in person before. If they're cut for better light return that OECs (amongst other things), do they favour more white light return at the expense of the pastels you see in OECs? Or do they achieve more symmetry etc without losing that characteristic? Sorry for the slight hijack,OP, but I've wondered for a while and it seemed part of the same question in a way.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Its totally fine; I'd like to know the answer myself.

Q

Queenie60

I love the chunky facets, pastel flashes they throw off and especially a flower pattern under the table. I like MRB's as well but for different reasons. Oh - and I prefer the warmer color OEC's.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love Art Deco designs, along with OECs and they have some kind of old fashion charm that I cannot describe.

I just know I prefer them to MRBs.

DK :))

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the chunky facets, the flower pattern, the "ring pop" shape and most of all the pastel colors they throw. :love: :love: :love: My MRB just "didn't do it" for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lissyflo|1474838138|4080666 said:
For me, it's the beautiful pastel colours they return and the chunky facets.

In a linked question, I've never seen a modern antique cut (CER or AVR) in person before. If they're cut for better light return that OECs (amongst other things), do they favour more white light return at the expense of the pastels you see in OECs? Or do they achieve more symmetry etc without losing that characteristic? Sorry for the slight hijack,OP, but I've wondered for a while and it seemed part of the same question in a way.

They do not favor more white light return because they have high crown angles and small tables which means more fire rather than white light return. They are just cut to have less leakage and greater optical symmetry while retaining the same basic cut style. My AVR has chunky facets, a symmetrical facet pattern, and no unplanned leakage.

I love the chunky facets and the facet pattern. The only thing I'd change about my diamond (if I wanted to go to the trouble) would be to have a larger culet cut. I love well cut antique OECs as well.

You just have to see both, a top cut modern round such as a H&A stone next to a well cut OEC and/or an AVR/CEC. I still have H&A stones for my studs because they can be seen across a room which is a good quality for earrings (and less expensive than a specialty cut)!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

img_1392.jpg

img_1393.jpg

So..... I was looking online last night piqued at how so many people here love OMC and OEC. I ran across these and I saw things in these earrings. Including my teenage daughter wearing them at her wedding. I had to have them.

They will be delivered at the end of the week.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah, very pretty! Certainly antique stones are best in antique settings! Show us some ear shots when you get them!

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock

I LOVE the MRB on other people, but they just don't feel right on me. To me the MRB feels more complex and sophisticated, and OEC is simpler.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock

I like the idea that they are unique and have character along with the flashes of color they display of course! :love:

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock

I like both.
I like MRB as ering. But for MRB, I would stay with slightly higher color (h-k).
I like OEC for all third purpose rings :). I cannot say no to the beautiful flowery facet and chunky flash. I love WARM color OEC the Best.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What appeals to me is that each piece of jewelry seems to have its own unique personality, and the fact that it has a history is interesting to me. I haven't seen any in person yet. I would like some warm pieces; the earrings I bought are g/h so white. I fell in love with the buttercup settings.

I think I'm going to love this new direction I'm going in.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

I like the history, romance, and unique qualities of OECs (no two are alike). I don't dislike MRBs, but I prefer the chunky/flowery faceting of the OECs for rings since I find them a bit more interesting visually, as well as enjoying the higher crowns/profile view. My diamond studs are MRBs, so they catch light nicely but I don't spend hours looking at them like I do with rings. I have a 5-stone OEC ring that I got a few years ago for an anniversary, and I've never grown bored of it. My larger OEC is my upgrade ring, and I really like that I paid nowhere near full retail price for it--getting a lower color antique stone was a great way to get the size diamond I wanted (7mm+). :cheeky: :love:

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock

What I like about OECs:
-round shape (like an MRB) but when you look closer it is so charming and different.
-individual like a snowflake.
-charm - they are aprox 100 years old and have a history, even if we don't know the story of the individual stone we choose.
-warm and dazzling.

When I started my search I thought I wanted an MRB, no question. My goal was just to get the nicest MRB in the budget.

But after poking around here I caught the OEC bug. I had never heard of them so they weren't on my radar.

I had some initial reservations before I saw them in person. Like, what if people thought I had a dingy/poorly cut MRB on my hands?
In person, they dazzle you.

This is helpful:
http://erstwhilejewelry.com/pages/diamond-cuts-old-european-cut

I have an MRB solitaire necklace that is good quality and lovely. But I have to say that my OEC (which I just got and do not even have in my hands yet!) is much more stunning to me.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the bigger slower scintillation pattern, I started to find modern round brilliants boring, so the uniqueness of them and the chunkier cut pattern also appealed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results