shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do you buy non-round diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 5:07:15 PM
Author: kenny
I just thought of something.

The asscher is the seventh diamond I have bought in my life.
The first six were round.

Maybe rounds are initially the most attractive, but then round owners start looking for something different.

I''d like to poll fancy owners to see if their first purchase was a round.
Nope. My first major diamond purchase was a gorgeous marquise cut. This time around I went with a round!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
As far as shape, an elongated cushion is my favorite, it looks best on my fingers

I''ve had a pear

I have round studs

I have a round pendant

I really don''t want a round for an ER (upgrade)

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I am confused as to why several people have answered this question by putting down round diamonds. The question isn''t "why don''t you like rounds?"...it''s "why do you buy non-rounds?" I think each cut has its own beauty. Rounds are stunning because they sparkle to much and they are classic and represent a complete circle of eternity. Emeralds and asschers are amazing because those steps just draw you in and they have a mirror-like quality that can''t be beat. Cushions are beautiful because they can have everything from a chunky firey look to a splinter-like sparkle (and sometimes all of the above in one stone). Princesses are gorgeous because they have this constant sparkle and fantastic corners that say "here I am!" Pears and ovals blow me away with their elongated elegance and ability to have some characteristics of a round with some like a cushion. Radiants are so cool because they have this crushed-ice quality that can''t be beat and they look amazing in colors. I like all shapes for their own special qualities...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A round diamond solitare for an ering just looks so boring to me. Some here on PS are fantastic but most of the ones I see make me yawn.

Also rounds don''t really look good on my hand. I tried on about 300,000 worth of diamonds and had several jewelers and friends agree that rounds don''t look good on me.

Now with sidestones or in a really cool setting a round might work. But probably not a round diamond.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 8:20:09 PM
Author: FacetFire
I am confused as to why several people have answered this question by putting down round diamonds. The question isn't 'why don't you like rounds?'...it's 'why do you buy non-rounds?' ...
Do you really think people are putting down rounds?

I dunno...how can one answer: 'why do you buy non-rounds?' without mentioning why you prefer fancy cuts. Should we just say: "because I like 'em better"?

I don't think proud RB owners should take offense at remarks in this thread. They are in the clear majority....we're the odd balls!
1.gif

widget

ETA: As I was writing this, Stonehunter was writing about "yawning" over simple RB solitaires. Yeah, maybe a little more diplomacy would be nice....
20.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to tell you that my first ering stone is an oval. I liked how it looked on my hand and offered more spread than a round of that carat weight.

My next stone should be an OEC cause I really like them. I don''t even consider them to be rounds.

And of course I think rounds look good in my ears.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am confused as to why several people have answered this question by putting down round diamonds. The question isn''t ''why don''t you like rounds?''...it''s ''why do you buy non-rounds?'' I think each cut has its own beauty.
I considered the source... I considered that the person asking is one of a group dedicated to the pursuit of the perfect round - so why would someone want anything other than a round? well... here''s a list of reasons why someone might not want a round...

Now... do I think they each have their own beauty? yes! and I bet you that among the PS crowd you''d be very hard pressed to find someone who didn''t find beauty in a round (especially in an oec haha - and I''m not kidding!). My next diamond will be a round... but I''m very glad my main one isn''t. And maybe it is awful, but I do find it a little boring that rounds just go around and around and all 8 facets are the same... I have 3 different sizes of pavillion main on my stone - it makes for a very interesting journey around the inside. You can look at that as putting down rounds or putting up omc.

I also think that since rounds are by far and large predominant, and because the IRBs tend to dominate the thoughts of maximum performance etc. that they need no defending... they''re in a class all their own and a question posed as the OPs was in this thread is almost like - why would anyone NOT choose a round? Like they''re the end all of greatness. Well... since you asked...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original e-ring was a pear. I loved the shape; it just seemed to elegant on my hand. My upgrade was an oval, only because the tip of the pear (at 1.33 cts) caught on everything so I could only imagine the damage I could inflict with a 3+ ct pear. That oval had some issues (or maybe *I* had some issues... the jury is still out) so I went with a round to be "safe" this time. But honestly, even though I know I get the greatest sparkle factor, round is not my favorite *shape*. Some day I hope for a fat emerald cut, or if I get brave enough, I might even go back to the oval.

So, to answer your original question, I would go with a non-round for shape more than anything.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my hubby and I were talking about getting engaged, I had said that I wanted a pear shape. My reasoning was, besides the fact that to me it was the most beautiful shape, it was somewhat unique since not many people had them at the time. Rounds are beautiful, but just too common for me. I love my pear and I am still wearing the original 11 years later.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2007 8:50:25 PM
Author: widget

I am confused as to why several people have answered this question by putting down round diamonds. The question isn''t ''why don''t you like rounds?''...it''s ''why do you buy non-rounds?'' ...
Do you really think people are putting down rounds?

I dunno...how can one answer: ''why do you buy non-rounds?'' without mentioning why you prefer fancy cuts. Should we just say: ''because I like ''em better''?

I don''t think proud RB owners should take offense at remarks in this thread. They are in the clear majority....we''re the odd balls!
1.gif

widget

ETA: As I was writing this, Stonehunter was writing about ''yawning'' over simple RB solitaires. Yeah, maybe a little more diplomacy would be nice....
20.gif
Yes most non PS rounds do make me yawn. Saying that more diplomatically...Rounds don''t really do anything for me unless they are cut beautifully. And they look better on people with longer fingers.

Hope that''s better. There are some FAB rounds here on PS.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2007 3:41:14 PM
Author: Ann
I like the shape

I like the way it looks on my finger

I want something different

But all that said, nothing out performs a round.
What if there were cuts that did outperform a round?

What if there were diamond shapes (including different looking rounds) that were brighter

Or others that had more fire?

What would a diamond need to do or look like if it ''outperormed'' in your eyes?

Apart from shape

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like rounds, but I couldn''t find a setting I liked. Plus, in all honesty once I found PS a one carat round with the specs I wanted was out of the budget.

I wanted a squarish stone with fire and a smaller table, hence my cushion. It''s only 1.03 carats and lots of PSers think that cushions just look like warped rounds at a smaller size - or at least don''t show the chunky facets to the best of its ability. The setting makes my cushion look quite square and even though at a glance people might think it''s a princess, I am very aware of the facet patterns and I love seeing the light bounce off the kites. My little cushion certainly keeps me happy!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Because I like different shapes better.......I don''t know why. I keep trying to love rounds, but, on me I just don''t. I think they are beautiful on other people. Every time I go to a jewelry store I try one on and think Nah, not for me...Where are the ovals!!!!! I think of rounds as a little more traditional and I am ANYTHING BUT traditional.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 11:46:28 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

I like the shape

What if there were diamond shapes (including different looking rounds) that were brighter

What would a diamond need to do or look like if it ''outperormed'' in your eyes?

Apart from shape
Ah hah Garry me thinks this question might have something to do with the editorial in you new catalogue
2.gif
Okay I''ll play as someone who will probably only have one diamond ring of any worth I wanted a ring that did most things very well.
I want it to be ''white''
Have sparkle or scintillation and to be fiery at times.
I know you are talking about cutting in ways to enhance these individuals diamonds and that is exciting for all of us but for some people that could afford a ''suite'' of rings than this technolgy would be BLOODY BRILLANT.
To be able to wear a diamond that had ''fire'' cut into to wear to warm up thing would be awesome.
To have a diamond that was cut to look it best outside when you are at a garden cocktail party and wanted to outclass everyone would be amazing.
So bring on the technology Garry
10.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 11:46:28 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

I like the shape

Apart from shape
mine did outperform for what I wanted - which was very large big fire. I saw stones that had a whiter return, some that had more intense flashes... but none had more, or larger flashes, or the variety between huge and tiny pinflash...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results