shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do vendors seem to want to push custom settings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve done the diamond hunt, purchased a couple, and am very very happy with my experiences. But one thing I did notice across the board with my experiences was the eagerness of vendors to do a custom setting for me.

The setting I had in mind was very simple, so it''s not like I had an idea in mind and could not find the reality. The pic is below and it is a Jeff Cooper setting. When I showed it to prospective vendors, they all said no, they did not carry it, but they could make it for me.

I can definitely chalk that up to wanting to offer service, however I got to thinking a bit. Most of the time the custom job was more expensive than the designer job (understandable, since they don''t have the molds ready to crank the style out). In the instances of the custom job being cheaper, it was not by much.

So I admit this is a bit cynical of me, but with custom jobs not being returnable, do vendors sometimes push the custom settings because it adds to their bottom line? I totally understand that they should make money and would want to offer the stone and the ring, but it doesn''t seem to always be in the best interest of the customer...especially since the custom job would not be an exact knockoff, possibly causing some dissatisfcation.

BTW, none of the vendors I worked with were insistent or pushy...but also no one said "that is a nice setting, just send it over when it''s finished."

My setting (with the prongs eagerly outstretched for a diamond):

Copy of IMG_1094.JPG

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I don''t understand what you wanted from them. If they don''t carry the setting they don''t carry the setting so they told you what they could do for you...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonds sold on the Internet or in highly competitive discout retail areas are a rather low profit item. Custom made mountings are relatively profitiable in comparison. Many non-custom made items will suit lots of people, but folks with specific concepts, design, needs or even larger egos may just be a lot happier with a one-of-a-kind product. This may be the real answer.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2006 11:57:09 AM
Author: indecisive
I guess I don''t understand what you wanted from them. If they don''t carry the setting they don''t carry the setting so they told you what they could do for you...
OK, let me clarify:

Me: I am looking for X kind of diamond, and I have chosen this setting, see picture attached.
Vendor: We don''t carry that setting, but I can easily have it made for you.
Me: I''ve looked around, and I think I like this setting for X reasons
Vendor: It''s a pretty simple setting, and I have a manufacturer who can copy it for you.

I''ll be honest, my first couple of inquiries, I pointed out the setting and asked if they carried it...and if not, would it be cheaper to make it custom. After I realized that they could not make a replica (nor should they) I stopped asking about the custom part. But folks always offered it, and after awhile, I guess I felt kind of guilty for having found the setting. That could just be something silly I was feeling and not any real pressure from the vendor.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmm well i kind of agree in that scenario you laid out that they were probably just trying to give you a larger range of service options so that they could garner more of your business than just a stone, aka we don''t have that setting but we can make it for you...rather than simply just saying no we can''t get the setting, it''s beautiful, have fun finding it!

can''t wait to see it with the stone in it and all setup..yum!

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/8/2006 1:03:02 PM
Author: Mara
hmmmm well i kind of agree in that scenario you laid out that they were probably just trying to give you a larger range of service options so that they could garner more of your business than just a stone, aka we don''t have that setting but we can make it for you...rather than simply just saying no we can''t get the setting, it''s beautiful, have fun finding it!

Did the vendor even TRY to get the setting.???

Many vendors would try to get it for you, I would think!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2006 1:03:02 PM

Mara, the setting probably just missed your visit at Whiteflash...Vera (the most patient lady ever!) signed for it late in the afternoon on Friday. So I guess there will be no post it note on the setting from you! hee hee...

I guess the answer is probably obvious to my question...they do want more of my business, and why not? I was just wondering to myself if they did this because they thought they could give me better service/settings or if they just want my money. It''s probably a bit of both.

Either way, I do love the PS vendors...they are really stellar when it comes to customer service.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2006 1:15:12 PM
Author: Carlotta
Did the vendor even TRY to get the setting.???

No, in this case I think Jeff Cooper is pretty exclusive with the vendors he allows to sell his stuff. PS vendors knew they could not get the designer setting. Here in SoCal, it''s Robbins Brothers, which I absolutely hate. I did end of finding it out of state at an online vendor (also has a B&M store) for less with far better customer service.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With many of the "branded" lines this is not as easy as it sounds. I am not a Jeff Cooper dealer so I do not know his opening requirements, but some of them are VERY high, I believe that Yurman is now over $100k for an opening order and I have heard that Kretchmer is over $50k but I do not know that for sure.

They are also pit bulls when it comes to catching people transhipping their products to other jewelers in order to meet their annual minimums. Get caught and you are OUT. Period.

Wink

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahah no post-it for you this time around....Vera is awesome isn''t she???

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2006 1:34:28 PM
hahah no post-it for you this time around....Vera is awesome isn''t she???
Yes...in fact, I will probably update the review I did not too long ago about WhiteFlash. I gave them 3.5 stars (because they have some policies I don''t love) but she pushes them over the 4 star mark. She was so patient with me, as the USPS just called priority registered "2 day" to me and the regular one "3 day". I didn''t think to do a search here on PS, which would have alleviated my concerns. But imagine 4 days later, she had still not received it. We are on the final stretch of this e-ring thing and I was not happy about possibly dealing with USPS claims. Vera told me not to worry, that she had never had a loss, but I was still concerned. Priority registered mail...what a rip off.

Vera was very kind...never made me feel like I was being an impatient idiot - which I was definitely being! I know WF is not perfect...Bob Hoskins always tells me they aren''t. But they sure do try! And I know that the "knowledgeable" customer (i.e. pricescoper, i.e. me) can sometimes be a pain in the ass!

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/8/2006 1:24:21 PM
Author: Wink

With many of the ''branded'' lines this is not as easy as it sounds. I am not a Jeff Cooper dealer so I do not know his opening requirements, but some of them are VERY high, I believe that Yurman is now over $100k for an opening order and I have heard that Kretchmer is over $50k but I do not know that for sure.

They are also pit bulls when it comes to catching people transhipping their products to other jewelers in order to meet their annual minimums. Get caught and you are OUT. Period.

Wink
Thanks!! So, is your pricing pretty controlled, too???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results