shape
carat
color
clarity

Why do people purchase MMD?

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
Gold miners in poor countries use cyanide to extract gold causing huge issues when they have spills or just bad management.

Not just cyanide... gold mining in poor countries is a huge source of deforestation and mercury poisoning, because they use mercury to extract the gold dust from mud and river water. This typically poisons the workers. Much of the gold extracted this way is used to “clean” money for the illegal narcotics trade.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not just cyanide... gold mining in poor countries is a huge source of deforestation and mercury poisoning, because they use mercury to extract the gold dust from mud and river water. This typically poisons the workers. Much of the gold extracted this way is used to “clean” money for the illegal narcotics trade.

Yes. Horrible.
Diamond mining involves no chemicals. It supports over 1 million people according to the Diamond Development Initiative.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
For me it's price and durability. I'm not interested in selling or passing anything down. It's strictly fashion (like all my jewelry) and for my immediate enjoyment. I used to buy Swarovski crystals, but alas, they are ruined when I forget to take them off in the shower or if I'm caught out in the rain. I'm not the type to spend thousands on jewelry or luxury goods (except a computer every 10 years or so) so lightbox (on sale) is perfect for me.

Although the ethic aspect is worrisome. Perhaps I'll just reduce my overall consumption of goods in general (it's a work in progress). I wonder how many people in the United States know that some of their factories and stores employ kids via a third party? I used to pack cut carrots and veggies for various companies. Working up to 16 hours a shift and I was 11 years old. Yep, it was a factory in NJ. During the summer months there were school buses/ vans that come to my neighborhood and us kids 10+ would get on there and go pick blueberries, cherries and peaches for hours. And then sort them in the factories too.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For me it's price and durability. I'm not the type to spend thousands on jewelry or luxury goods (except a computer every 10 years or so) so lightbox (on sale) is perfect for me.
Then why not moissanite? It looks at least as good as diamond and has more fire? It is extremely durable.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Really? I've never seen a moissanite in real life (or perhaps I did and can't tell). Are they sold in department stores? I was eyeing some preloved moissanites in loupetroop and even they were a bit expensive and most aren't returnable. There's a Bloomingdale's here in NYC and I can easily return things there. Oh, I've read on here that moissanites can be "oily" , I'm not sure what that means but it didn't sound positive. I'm definitely open to moissanite if the price is right and if they're sparkly. I was looking at Swarovski tennis bracelets but again didn't buy because of high maintenance. I would love an asscher shape lab (or moissanite?) someday though (depends on price). I bought those lightbox diamonds because they were a fantastic price on Bloomingdale's, I certainly wouldn't have purchased from their website (still a bit pricey for me).

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I can post a neck shot. The MMD was a necklace. Compare the MMD (.70, H, SI1) with the mined diamond studs (.50 tcw D SI1) and mined e. ring at .82, j, vvs2).. they all feel like regular diamonds. I'm happy and so is my bank account.
View attachment 767656 20200722_202218.jpg 20200722_202202.jpg 20200722_212206.jpg

Wow you have a stunning complexion & short hair looks amazing on you!!!
Please don't tell me you have blue or hazel fox eyes Ms. Gorgeous!!!

PS. Sorry not sorry for the thread jack!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Wow you have a stunning complexion & short hair looks amazing on you!!!
Please don't tell me you have blue or hazel fox eyes Ms. Gorgeous!!!

PS. Sorry not sorry for the thread jack!

A reply...and sorry for the thread jack folks.

You're really really kind. I am 55 years old. I just went much shorter on Sunday. As in I warned my husband I was in a mood. LOL. I am also experimenting with showing my gray. I wear tinted moisturizer as foundation.

I am not sure my eye color. They are grey in some light and green in other light...not very saturated. I am curious, what are fox eyes?. Maybe they should be called hazel? I just call them grey on my driver's license.

I am supremely flattered though! am posting a picture for you. I obscured the details of my work office behind me.

mesmall.jpg

Last edited:

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Really? I've never seen a moissanite in real life (or perhaps I did and can't tell). Are they sold in department stores? I was eyeing some preloved moissanites in loupetroop and even they were a bit expensive and most aren't returnable. There's a Bloomingdale's here in NYC and I can easily return things there. Oh, I've read on here that moissanites can be "oily" , I'm not sure what that means but it didn't sound positive. I'm definitely open to moissanite if the price is right and if they're sparkly. I was looking at Swarovski tennis bracelets but again didn't buy because of high maintenance. I would love an asscher shape lab (or moissanite?) someday though (depends on price). I bought those lightbox diamonds because they were a fantastic price on Bloomingdale's, I certainly wouldn't have purchased from their website (still a bit pricey for me).

I love Moissanite, but I find that (in my limited experience) the smaller stones look more like diamonds than the larger ones. My .33ct is more believable than my 1ct. My holy grail for Moissanite is an OEC. I think that would be really cool. I found a seller on eBay, and I might pull the trigger this week. Edit: I love mined diamonds, lab diamonds, and Moissanite, but not CZ. I am an equal opportunity consumer. It depends on whether I consider the piece to be "heirloom" or fun. And how much $$ I've got left in my budget for the year. Moissanite and lab diamonds become much more attractive when I'm approaching my spending limit.

IMG_3077.jpg IMG_3076.jpg IMG_3075.jpg

Last edited:

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock

I second Garry’s recommendation for moissanite. I have both moissy and lab diamond. I’m waiting for prices on MMD to come down, because I want a larger (1.5-2 carat) round excellent cut for my main stone set.

Moissanite has double refraction, and definitely throws more rainbows. Diamond is crisper, with more depth, and looks better in the larger sizes. However, moissanite is a wonderful, durable option at a fantastic price point. It looks amazing in the older cuts. It also allows for more options all around. It’s not high maintenance, any oxidation buffs off with a sunshine cloth.

Just for comparison... here’s a lab diamond and moissanite side by side. The lab diamond is a .87 carat Lightbox white round reset from a necklace. The moissanite is a 6.5 mm C&C Forever 1 H&A near colorless, in identical settings. The moissy is a little bigger.

You can find countless high quality videos online also.

45594CFC-2573-413A-80F8-E051AA2FE8C4.jpeg

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
@moneymeister Wow you're beautiful! Your hair really suits you! And your eyes are gorgeous! No way you're 50!

@mommylawyer @mrsthirdcharms
Those are so pretty! I can't even tell cz and diamonds apart in real life so I definitely can't tell the difference in those pictures. I'm definitely open to moissanites, it all boils down to price. If I have more funds, of course I would buy ACAs, HPD, CBIs, harry Winston, VCA... am I missing anyone? But, I'm content to buy labs (or moissanite) within my budget and just ogle fantastic pieces here. My next focus is to reset my ER into a larger plain setting. So any future jewelry purchases would have to come after that. Who knew I would go from size 3 -3.5 in the winter to a 4.5 in the summer.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@ dizzyakira...shux. :)

Here is my old cut diamond in the e-ring with a cushion moissanite I plan to have set into a 3rd ering (rose gold this time). I see a big difference between moissanite cuts and quality. I have another moissy that performs terribly. This one is pretty close to diamond-like. I do notice a blur with moissanite and it's double refraction. Not enough to hinder having this 7.5mm moissy set. I can't give you a manufacturer though, it was purchased a while back from Loupetroop or Diamondbistro.

20200804_091504.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results