shape
carat
color
clarity

Why did YOU pick a colored gemstone for your Engagement Ring

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never met anyone that didn't have the traditional diamond as an engagement ring, but then I came here and saw that so many people here on PS have a gemstone ring as their Ering! I am just curious....why did YOU/Your FI pick a gemstone for your engagement ring?

Love of that particular stone? Sentimentality connected to the stone? Family heirloom? The cost in comparison to a diamond?

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Re: Why did YOU pick a colored gemstone for your Engagement

I bought my FI a sapphire because that's what she wanted. I'm glad she did, the process of finding the special stone was SO much more interesting that buying a diamond. People complement the ring all the time. My mom had a sapphire e-ring as well so it didn't seem strange to buy a colored stone for my FI's ring.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock

I don't have a ring yet, but I will be getting a colored stone ring in the next year or two (if my sapphire search yields good results).

I guess frankly, diamonds just don't do it for me. I like them as accent stones, that's about it. Colored diamonds of course are divine, but I don't really want a diamond for my ring. I feel like everyone has them. I've always loved colored gemstones and I just can't imagine owning anything else. There's something really special in knowing that you have a stone is totally unique with it's colors, inclusions, color zones... it's all magic to me. Color is what makes my heart sing, much more so than sparkle.

septemberbaby

Rough_Rock

I don't have an engagement ring yet, either, but it's in the works...

Sapphire is my birthstone and I've always liked it. I also like that it's still fairly hard and suitable for daily wear. These are definitely two reasons I encouraged my boyfriend to consider sapphires as a possibility, but I also thought it might help lower costs for him. My friend has a very pretty 2 ct cushion diamond ring, and I love the size, but didn't think that was a reasonable option for us.

Fast forward to now, after a search for 4+ months, and our perspectives have changed. We eventually realized that colored stones are more difficult to find (in high quality) than diamonds. We also realized that colored stones can be just as expensive (or more!) than diamonds. At the same time, we enjoyed the research and the hunt and are happy about choosing a high quality sapphire that's more rare than a diamond. It'll look beautiful, unique, and feels more special (to us).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Diamonds aren't blue.

Well, none that we could afford anyway.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock

I just got tired of my diamond. Once I got my first colored stone, the diamond went in a ring box. I have no desire to wear it or have it made into something else. Maybe one of my children will want it someday.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

This isn't my first marriage :o , so this time around, I started out with a heavy - custom made wedding band with nice diamonds, but no eRing.

I have since acquired several colored gemstone solitaires that I rotate as eRings.... so I didn't really "pick one". Now I just keep acquiring new ones in as many different colors and gemstone types as I can afford and rotate them to match my moods :love:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i started out looking at diamonds...moved to champagne diamonds....and then decided it was color all the way, baby, for me. i don't like wearing jewelry that looks like everyone else is wearing and like unique and one of a kind pieces of jewelry. it was a natural for me to go orange before most people even noticed it.

mz

ps i find diamonds to be boring....unless, of course, its got some color.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I had a diamond e ring. I liked it alot but after a while it felt typical. my husband and I seperated for a few months and when we got back together I wanted a new ring with new memories attached to it. We sold it and were actually going to make a ring out of a mahenge spinel.

That fell through and I started my search for a diamond antique ring (iwanted origional). I ended up finding my current ring with a fancy orangy yellow diamond that's also an antique.

So I got the best of both worlds!

artemiss

Rough_Rock

I like colour. I don't like that the only reason most people feel they must have diamonds for an Ering stems from a marketing campaign, not tradition, per se.
I hate how over-priced a clear piece of carbon is. They just aren't rare.
I like blue diamonds, I won't lie.
But I feel so much more ethical with my Montana sapphire that is the same colour as the ocean the day my hubby proposed.
And it was a fraction of the price.
win/win
:appl:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I love my colored gemstones but I must admit I love my colorless diamonds too.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

Always wanted a coloured stone.

To be honest I find diamonds boring - I used to buy them as a job and after a while it was like looking at some many bits of sparkly glass, always found gold bars much more enticing. Coloured stones just do something for me that diamonds don't, plus diamonds aren't often unique or rare.

I don't see coloured stones as a 'cheap' option if you can't afford a diamond. You can pay WAY more for some coloured stones than a same sized white diamond. It actually really annoys me that people think that is why people have coloured stones - I've had people look at my ring and know they're wondering why DH didn't spend more and buy me a diamond, not knowing that my lowly garnet cost the same as a fairly decent size of diamond, and DH gave me carte blanche to choose whatever I wanted.

I have a three stone diamon ring that I bought to celebrate my daughter's birth and the end of a long legal battle. They're old cuts set in a handmade antique yg filigree setting and about 2.5ct total weight. They're beautifully cut and it's a gorgeous ring, but my tsavorite is what I never tire of looking at. It changes personality in every light, it's very rare, it's an amazing colour and my e-ring was a joint project between DH and I which was great fun to do.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Cause every mall in America sells diamond solitares/e-rings. Call me vain, but if I'm going to symbolize my love, I want something that's mine only.

I do like diamonds though, and could see myself with a diamond e-ring, but my preference is a CS e-ring.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

Like others, I just don't much like diamonds, and I like something different than other people have. I had a dark blue sapphire in my original ring set, and a color-change blue/purple sapphire in my current one.

Laura

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock

When I first joined this site the only thing I wanted was a round brilliant (RB) around 1 ct. After awhile, all the RB's started to look the same and I didn't want to see another "arrow" to save my life, :twirl: .

Currently I really like emerald cuts and old mine cuts, but I no longer wanted a diamond for an engagement ring because it seemed soooo common to me. And soooo expected. Like being a blonde in California, lol (please don't get offended if you are blonde and live in California - it's a joke!).

Anyways, I asked my SO to get me a sapphire because it came in all colours and would hold up to everyday wear, and it's a beautiful stone. I asked him to get any colour that spoke to him and I ended up with a blue that reminds me of a well-worn pair of blue jeans. Perfect for me!

Mom2SF

Rough_Rock

I picked a colored gemstone (pale icy blue sapphire) for a few reasons. First, this is my 2nd marriage and I had a diamond the first time around so this time I wanted my e-ring to be very different. Second, I have always loved colored gemstones (since I was a child) and the third reason is because everyone has a diamond.

Get what YOU love, and what speaks to YOU.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I really enjoyed reading everyone's answers! I, in no way meant to imply that a gemstone was a "cheap" thing. Other threads I read the posters stated they couldnt justify spending XYZ on a diamond so they picked a ______________. Im guessing like anything, a gemstone could be a more inexpensive option for some.... just like you can definitely find a cheaper diamond.

thanks for all the replies! Totally opened my mind to the "not so traditional" (as in different from everyother person) engagement ring. I am just disappointed I have yet to see a gemstone Ering in person. Everyone in my area that I have seem has a diamond. I love the idea of picking something different!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

I think you should choose something you love...if that is a diamond, then pick the one that sings to you. If it is a gemstone, the same is true, it's just that the notes will be different and a bit more jazzy...

Laura

Magenta

Shiny_Rock

Pandora said:
Always wanted a coloured stone.

To be honest I find diamonds boring - I used to buy them as a job and after a while it was like looking at some many bits of sparkly glass, always found gold bars much more enticing. Coloured stones just do something for me that diamonds don't, plus diamonds aren't often unique or rare.

I find the same thing. I used to work in retail, which had a lot of people signing paper in front of me. The majority of them wore diamonds, and they just seemed the same and boring - but for the few that wore coloured stones, particularly 5mm+ stones in a bright colour, they were often very striking, and a conversation point.

That, and white bores me. Why would you have white when you could have something brightly coloured? :tongue:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

I chose a small colored diamond because it fit my SO's personality. I wanted the sparkle and all the fun stuff of a diamond but the colors of something from my colored stone collection. I think I have the best of both worlds with in the stone and our relationship (best friends and true love.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results