shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are we talking diamonds at this time?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I don't think the OP understands is that not only do people come here to get help/advice but that for many of us it's a passion and who doesn't enjoy talking about their passions especially when we have some time on our hands? Also ... while we may be experiencing a temporary set back, people are still falling in love, making commitments to each other and giving their loved ones a token of what it is that is in their hearts for their them. In that the people who give of themselves here on this forum should take pride in the service they give to the public. My .02c

You're a nice man, @Rhino. ox

WindyCityCoco

Rough_Rock
In the last few days I lost my two cats. Right after our close family member dying of brain cancer entered the end stage. On top of it there is corona. There is more ugliness and uncertainty than most other times. Yet, yes I do look at my diamonds and gems, as well as jewelry. I do talk to my best friend about them as one of our favorite topics. I do talk to colleagues. Am I selfish and superficial? I doubt this is something anyone would ever say after caring for weeks no sleep for dying people and pets. But I enjoy my rocks for the reason that I always took joy in them, for their beauty. We each have our ways of finding beauty and positivity in this world and this is one of my main sources. It is a way to self preserve and no I will not feel guilty about it for one minute thank you. I am sure that others would rather be around a smiling person and I would rather be a survivor at heart.
im so sorry- pets are our family and this must be so painful sending hugs

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you so very much everyone for this support, this shows that is why I love this place so much. It is not just about diamonds, it is a community of amazing people who inspire others and each other by sticking together. And look at how many threads we have about pets, kindness. This forum helps us keep normalcy in our lives and so do our gems.

Yes we do share at least one common interest, a passion to us and this is a stable point in our lives in a very unstable time. We try to remain ourselves when our lives have been turned upside down. Less stress and more endorphin are also better for our immune systems, so we are better able to fight any illness that comes our way.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lol. But color! I didn't realize India was so locked down (according to the Johns Hopkins chart their number of cases is pretty low), but smart of them to be.

From what my husband told me it’s because India isn’t testing

B

Beany

From what my husband told me it’s because India isn’t testing

lol
And that’s not true, actually they are testing. Very consistently. My family has many doctors working tirelessly and testing across various states

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the last few days I lost my two cats. Right after our close family member dying of brain cancer entered the end stage. On top of it there is corona. There is more ugliness and uncertainty than most other times. Yet, yes I do look at my diamonds and gems, as well as jewelry. I do talk to my best friend about them as one of our favorite topics. I do talk to colleagues. Am I selfish and superficial? I doubt this is something anyone would ever say after caring for weeks no sleep for dying people and pets. But I enjoy my rocks for the reason that I always took joy in them, for their beauty. We each have our ways of finding beauty and positivity in this world and this is one of my main sources. It is a way to self preserve and no I will not feel guilty about it for one minute thank you. I am sure that others would rather be around a smiling person and I would rather be a survivor at heart.

Dear @Sunstorm you know how sorry I am but just wanted to send you more virtual hugs and well wishes. There are no words of comfort when one loses a furry family member let alone two family members. You need an outlet to escape the grief even for just a brief time. Sending you so much love and good energy. I am so sorry for your terrible losses. My deepest condolences and all my love.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
A a long term lurker and have now joined; I too look to PS as a much needed diversion and future research for my own engagement ring. Thank you to all who contribute to this great site.
As a nurse here in Canada the situation in my city is not yet critical, but that will change quickly I feel in the next 2 weeks. Everyone stay healthy !!

Thank you for your work and you stay well.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Dear @Sunstorm you know how sorry I am but just wanted to send you more virtual hugs and well wishes. There are no words of comfort when one loses a furry family member let alone two family members. You need an outlet to escape the grief even for just a brief time. Sending you so much love and good energy. I am so sorry for your terrible losses. My deepest condolences and all my love.

What a difficult time time you have had. Deepest condolences on the loss of your loved ones.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much again to everyone. As an interesting sidenote my cats died of mutated coronavirus, FIP, I tried the drug on them, the same company tested GS nucleoside on cats first with great success. The study was done at UC Davis but never got licensed for cats I believe because it was perhaps not profitable enough. The same is said as problems about Remdesivir (sp?) the compound being developed for humans that there are many problems because of the company developing it. I can say that the medication does work but sadly it was too late for my cats. You simply cannot repair fully failed organs which I so desperately tried to do. We had our family member with brain cancer admitted today finally. But yes I am still enjoying bling threads here so much. I love to think about color and spring especially and work on designs even if this is a difficult time for all of us. We have to enjoy small things in life to keep some normalcy; sometimes even just a good cup of coffee makes me happy. Well, bling makes me even happier.:)))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently saw a psychologist on TV say that during this time of crisis the most important thing you can do is try to stick with your everyday schedule as much as possible. Additionally she said try not get caught up in news watching additionally try to focus on hobbies that make you happy. I think its vitally important to find things that make us smile as we muddle through these tough times. For me I think about the things that make me smile. My family, My puppy kissing me in morning, a funny show, and just popping over here to PS to see a beautiful piece of jewelry. I am very cognizant of those little moments when I can smile Vs cry right now. smiling is so much more important for our mental health. Anyway that we can pull together as a community we need to do it- and this is a community

i see another Chicago Ps’r! There are quite a few of us on here and we have had meet ups. I’m in the popular western suburb. Are you in the city?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much again to everyone. As an interesting sidenote my cats died of mutated coronavirus, FIP, I tried the drug on them, the same company tested GS nucleoside on cats first with great success. The study was done at UC Davis but never got licensed for cats I believe because it was perhaps not profitable enough. The same is said as problems about Remdesivir (sp?) the compound being developed for humans that there are many problems because of the company developing it. I can say that the medication does work but sadly it was too late for my cats. You simply cannot repair fully failed organs which I so desperately tried to do. We had our family member with brain cancer admitted today finally. But yes I am still enjoying bling threads here so much. I love to think about color and spring especially and work on designs even if this is a difficult time for all of us. We have to enjoy small things in life to keep some normalcy; sometimes even just a good cup of coffee makes me happy. Well, bling makes me even happier.:)))

I’m so sorry! Did the cats get it related to the terrible outbreak going on now? My daughter would be heartbroken if her kitty died. Sorry too about the brain cancer. What is the prognosis for that? All this is a lot to bear right now!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sunstorm
I'm so sorry for your losses. In these confusing times I can only imagine how you're feeling. Take care of yourself.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appreciate all the different opinions and perspectives.
This is a forum of opinions, and some very good ones I would say.
Keep ”those” coming.
However, there have been a few “personal” and “name calling” attacks, those do not belong on the forum.
You know who you are. You have been reported to Admin.

Once again, the moral police. THAT does not belong on this forum. Your comment was hyper critical and "personal" for all those people who had posted about their love of diamonds during this difficult time.

I won't report you, however. THAT petty mean-spiritedness does not belong on this forum either.

Good luck to you, @WillyDiamond. I hope you find an enjoyable way to pass the time during one of the world's most wide-ranging crises.

WindyCityCoco

Rough_Rock
i see another Chicago Ps’r! There are quite a few of us on here and we have had meet ups. I’m in the popular western suburb. Are you in the city?

Oh yes im Western Springs- we used to live in Old Town until about 3 years ago when the city got a little crazy for our liking

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Lordy, I'm just going to follow my mothers advice and not say anything at all about your tone in addressing your perceived issue. :pray:

Now for the rest of us,

If any of you know someone that has corona or is currently in any other threatening health situation- know that there is NOT any right or wrong behavior right now, especially when the world has been seemingly turned on its head.

Its completely ok to seek out beautiful things or hobbies that enrich your life or distract you from the hell that can be reality right now. Its also ok to feel sad and spend all of your time thinking about the situation and processing it.

One isnt better nor worse.
What is NOT okay, are indivisuals telling each of us what we should or should not be doing during this trying time. Especially when they have no idea how bad things may be for us all as individuals.

It reminds me of some random person telling a patient with cancer undergoing chemo that knitting is a waste of time and how could they knit when cancer is so prevalent and they could be crowd funding or campaigning for the cause.

How about we dont tell others what to do? That would be lovely! :clap:

Hopefully those with these attitudes drop the white-knighting and learn to open their mind a bit and broaden their horizons. We all will not cope in the same way and thats A-OK.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I, too, would like a Willy-approved list. I would hate to spend my time on morally hazardous activities!

Well we know one Willy-Approved activity is starting conversation on hobby specific online forums (which we are apart of ourselves) and telling others that they arent living up to the list!

Better go spread the word, we wouldnt want others to be acting incorrectly during this crisis!!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well we know one Willy-Approved activity is starting conversation on hobby specific online forums (which we are apart of ourselves) and telling others that they arent living up to the list!

Better go spread the word, we wouldnt want others to be acting incorrectly during this crisis!!

I could try doing this on my wine forum, but I'd be run off with pitchforks.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I could try doing this on my wine forum, but I'd be run off with pitchforks.

Hmm, yeah. I dont think that one would bode well. Although the replies you get might not hurt as much if they're difficult to read with all of those typos! ;))

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, would like a Willy-approved list. I would hate to spend my time on morally hazardous activities!

Since material objects that give us pleasure is out we should stick to health related topics. Anyone want to share a recent colonoscopy experience? Bunion woes?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appreciate all the different opinions and perspectives.
This is a forum of opinions, and some very good ones I would say.
Keep ”those” coming.
However, there have been a few “personal” and “name calling” attacks, those do not belong on the forum.
You know who you are. You have been reported to Admin.

I notice my post has been reported.

I also notice that you didn’t bother to respond to my pointed questions - oh, I mean, personal attacks. (I did actually snicker out loud).

Welcome to the real world of people voicing perspectives that differ from your own, and people asking questions that make you uncomfortable. Your rather sorry attempt to police my morality is not appreciated - I’d suggest paying your own some much-needed attention first, but I already tried that.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect and true responses, ladies and gents. Let’s focus on positives and whatever makes you happy and gets you through the day, whether that’s diamonds or springtime flowers.
522A644A-431F-4B82-8DE0-F519DCA188D2.jpeg

As a point of utter trivia - can I just say that I had Christmas lunch with his (David Hockney's) brother many years ago?

Thank you very much for letting me share my entire claim to fame. Altho - once Mel Gibson trod on my foot. Oh - and I once hit John McEnroe on the head with a tennis ball.

Aaaaaaand that's it for me.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I notice my post has been reported.

I also notice that you didn’t bother to respond to my pointed questions - oh, I mean, personal attacks. (I did actually snicker out loud).

Welcome to the real world of people voicing perspectives that differ from your own, and people asking questions that make you uncomfortable. Your rather sorry attempt to police my morality is not appreciated - I’d suggest paying your own some much-needed attention first, but I already tried that.

I'm sorry you're so morally depleted, @yssie. I love you regardless. :))

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As a point of utter trivia - can I just say that I had Christmas lunch with his (David Hockney's) brother many years ago?

Thank you very much for letting me share my entire claim to fame. Altho - once Mel Gibson trod on my foot. Oh - and I once hit John McEnroe on the head with a tennis ball.

Aaaaaaand that's it for me.

You can’t just throw in brief details on intriguing celeb encounters at a time like this @mrs-b . We need details! We all have 23 hours a day to fill in our houses - entertain us, please!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can’t just throw in brief details on intriguing celeb encounters at a time like this @mrs-b . We need details! We all have 23 hours a day to fill in our houses - entertain us, please!

Well....

The parents of the girl who was my best friend when I was at university were (and perhaps still are, as far as I know - altho they would all be pretty elderly by now, if indeed still living) best friends with David Hockney's brother, John, and his wife. They went on vacation together, socialized regularly over many years, and often got together on Christmas day. One Christmas I was with my friend for Christmas dinner, and we all went to the Hockney's.

And yes, they had numerous David Hockney artworks on the walls.

DevonRex

Rough_Rock

So sorry for your losses :cry2: None of us should feel any guilt about how we cope.......this is such a difficult time of all of us. Like you said, a smiling face or a shiny object can bring comfort and joy =)2

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Sunstorm, I am so sorry for your losses. I schedule brain tumor patients for scans and follow-ups. Which kind has your family member? And cats - my most wrenching euthanasia experiences have been with my cats. When Foster goes, I think I'm done.
Again, I am very sorry for what you're going through.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results