shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are we talking diamonds at this time?

sparlie

Shiny_Rock
As the title says: Why are we talking diamonds at this time?

What size center stone should I get?
What color or clarity?
What type of studs should I buy?
The list of topics goes on and on.

I think it is selfish. We are all living through an epidemic of such huge proportions to our health, safety, welfare.
This thing is spreading and not under control. People are scared. Mental illness is surfacing.

And we are talking diamonds? Really?

I am not saying shut the forum down, but have some priorities. I am sure that people on ventilators would love to have the discussion about diamonds, but they cannot.

What I think should be shut down is the topics above and all the other selfish stuff.

Wishing good health to all PSers And your family.

I discovered pricescope several years ago and it provided a well needed escape for me. For the past 10 years I have watched my son's life been destroyed. He is the most amazing and brilliant person I know and to watch what has happened to him has been devastating. He has undergone 14 surgeries with no success, starting at the age of 17. My family has been aware of the coronavirus and had made preparations and were isolating from people weeks before recommendations were made. But I am still reading pricescope because it is a diversion. I am able to somewhat compartmentalize, because I have had to in order to survive. I even posted a question the other day pertaining to a setting that will be made for me, if and when my pricescope found jeweler can return to his workplace in California. I do not consider myself selfish. I understand your point to a degree, but I think you are making sweeping generalizations.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Being in a mental health profession, I feel like this post was written to generate attention rather than being based on factuality of OP's belief.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking at pretty things made with pretty stones are a lovely calming distraction. Having worked on the SARS Team back in 2003, I continued coming to PS to get away from my reality. I do the same with CV in 2020. For most of the day I’m freaked out that I would be the one to bring the virus home that would harm my family, I fear my own health, I fear going out in public without a mask, I fear my investments will drop even further & I fear for my family in Italy. But, I can come to PS without fear & be happy for those able to continue with their projects, for those continuing with proposals, & for those that want to continue as normal as possible.

Take a break from PS. I’ve needed to do that myself from time to time. It helps. ;-).

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
OP comes onto a forum for fanatics of jewelry and criticizes such fanatics of jewelry for being fanatics of jewelry. OP comes on to try and tell people what to do with their own time and own money and own resources.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because distractions are important. For all of us under "stay at home " orders or who are choosing to stay at home, what "shpuld" we do? Worry 100% of the time? No, thank you. I need to keep some normalcy in my life, and PS is an activity I find fun and uplifting. If you disagree, please feel free to take a break from the forum.

DevonRex

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
A a long term lurker and have now joined; I too look to PS as a much needed diversion and future research for my own engagement ring. Thank you to all who contribute to this great site.
As a nurse here in Canada the situation in my city is not yet critical, but that will change quickly I feel in the next 2 weeks. Everyone stay healthy !!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,
A a long term lurker and have now joined; I too look to PS as a much needed diversion and future research for my own engagement ring. Thank you to all who contribute to this great site.
As a nurse here in Canada the situation in my city is not yet critical, but that will change quickly I feel in the next 2 weeks. Everyone stay healthy !!

Welcome to PS! It has been both diversion and therapy for many at various times in their lives. We look forward to seeing more of you and I hope that the situation in Canada does not spiral out of control. Thanks for what you do for folks!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
OP, I understand why you asked the question but I so welcome PS at this time. I have a wonderful family that I live with, but I also miss my other immediate family so much like my parents that I am so close to. I’m trying to protect them so I keep my distance. But it’s heartbreaking bc we are a close knit family. So I welcome a distraction. Any distraction will help. I woke up in a panic at 2a this morning thinking, how long will this last? How long before I see the rest of my family. That thought saddened me.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I have come here to read people’s stories. I love seeing others looking forward to the next chapter of their lives! it is reassuring and uplifting! Life is happening, people are making plans and are looking forward. I take comfort in that.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I'm recovering from what was most likely coronavirus but I didn't meet the criteria for testing so I'll never know. I'm separated from my son while I'm in quarantine. A close friend is now coming down with it. My parents are elderly and not in the best health and I can't see them either. I may get laid off tomorrow.

I come here for beauty and distraction. Please understand that we all cope in different ways.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm recovering from what was most likely coronavirus but I didn't meet the criteria for testing so I'll never know. I'm separated from my son while I'm in quarantine. A close friend is now coming down with it. My parents are elderly and not in the best health and I can't see them either. I may get laid off tomorrow.

I come here for beauty and distraction. Please understand that we all cope in different ways.

best wishes to you MrsBlue
its a scary time
good you are recovering, must somehow keep parents safe and i hope your friend also only has a mild case
may you find all the distraction you need to find the strength to survive this that we all now need

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Social interactions are important at time like this.
Besides peeps can still buy jewellery online, therefore they need help and advice.

DK :))

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
best wishes to you MrsBlue
its a scary time
good you are recovering, must somehow keep parents safe and i hope your friend also only has a mild case
may you find all the distraction you need to find the strength to survive this that we all now need

Thank you Daisys. You're a sweetheart. These are certainly tough times and we have to take love and light where we find them. My own little diamonds make me feel very special and I love looking at other people's pretties. It makes me feel like a child playing in mom's jewelry box. Brighter days will come but until then I'm very happy to have like-minded folks here to share much-needed silliness and distraction.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Virtual hugs from PA, USA!
I’m glad you’re in recovery, and keeping your distance from your folks. I do hope they dodge this virus. Prayers for your friend, and speedy recovery to you both!
These are frightening times, but we will make it through.
My DH is currently unemployed; the State shut down his job, indefinitely. He filed for unemployment. I work in healthcare, so I’m still working the front lines.
We are taking measures to promote social distancing by offering Telehealth visits for patients who are able.
PS has been a much needed break from the chaos I face, every day, on my job, so I relate to everyone who comes here to find joy in their love of jewelry!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are ALL in for a rough ride.
I think it’s important to keep up our hobbies, our interests, our online conversations going for the sake of our mental health.
It is very stressful at this time so I say “share your bling plans / dreams” Lets spend some time not worrying or thinking about this virus to keep our spirits up and to feel more positive.
No one is suggesting for a second that Bling talk is more important than concerns about people affected by this virus but we ALL need some respite from negativity.
Your immune system supports you best when you are nourished so that is eating good food, getting sleep, stay active even when confined t your home and practice positive thoughts and actions.

Q

Queenie60

@WillyDiamond - I am sorry that you are feeling overwhelmed. We're all a bit frightened of this sneaky virus. There are many uncertainties right now. Looking at bling and talking bling relieves some of us however, I understand your concerns. Take care and I wish you and your family well, stay safe and healthy. God Bless.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
“ ‘Twas beauty killed the beast.”
Been saved by beauty countless times in my life.
Even the sighting a small bright flower on a grey day is a reminder that the sun does shine.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@WillyDiamond - I am sorry that you are feeling overwhelmed. We're all a bit frightened of this sneaky virus. There are many uncertainties right now. Looking at bling and talking bling relieves some of us however, I understand your concerns. Take care and I wish you and your family well, stay safe and healthy. God Bless.

this is how we all need to be
kind like Queenie

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think I can add anything more or say things better than what has already been said in response to OP. I won't be buying anything significant for a while but who doesn't enjoy window shopping or enjoying bling vicariously? I know diamonds may connote excess and extravagance but at the moment I'm getting great joy from my baby OMC that was a bargain purchase. I'm also a science geek and find them fascinating AF.

We're all here for different reasons. I wish all health workers here on PS well and everyone else good health. Those affected by COVID-19 or other illnesses, I wish you all a speedy recovery and all the virtual diamonds you can handle! xx

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone needs to stay home and away from other people unless necessary. If talking about diamond and browsing PS help you in isolation, that is amazing.
If you are reading this post at home, you are doing your part in this crisis.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Pricescope serves an important cultural function, in a wonderful parallel to museums and libraries around the world. That is, it serves as a burgeoning repository for images, and offers the opportunity for open discussion and interpretation of objects of beauty depicted therein. The depth and breadth of its virtual collection would make a curator blush - and its ability to actively engage its community is the stuff of museum administration dreams.

As such, Pricescope is a secular sacred space, where people of all cultures can gather to witness and discuss beauty, and the objects that possess it, not to mention to edify and quantify the specifics that create or destroy that beauty.

The human animal has always craved beauty, perhaps more so in times of great stress. These pieces were without exception designed by human eyes, and wrought by human hands. They are often symbolic of our planet’s greatest achievement (love) but even if they measure up as nothing but eye candy with no greater purpose, they are still the clearest evidence we have of our species’ creativity and aesthetic imperative.

To put it another way, shouldn’t we be glad that the people of Pompeii and Herculaneum so precisely designed and carefully cultivated their own adornment? We can behold Pompeiian jewels in museums today, giving us a taste of how they lived, adding to our understanding of human nature, softening up our brusque and brash daily struggle, helping us empathise with those who suffered so tragically, so suddenly. A little understanding goes a long way.

The hand-wringing over lower facet length, claw prongs, or gold versus platinum is far from petty; it is evidence of how much we still care about beauty, even as the world crashes. What some may see as silly indecision about milgrain is actually the attempt to reach out for precision in artful expression of the soul. Jewels are the quintessence of human adornment, our species’ most essential act, and a testament to our cultural progress over time.

The Romans carved bone bracelets and inlaid them with finely wrought gold wire. They carefully and painstakingly shaped emeralds and rubies into beads and strung them on gold chains. When their cities burned, they didn’t stop loving the tangible evidence of their own creativity, especially not the precious jewels their souls found beautiful.

What pieces survive when we are gone and all other possessions are dust? Jewels. And we who wring our hands today over OEC versus MRB will sometimes be remembered for them, as we ourselves occasionally think of our ancestors as we experience their jewels.

As we watch the Covid tragedy unfold in Italy, the parallels to the eruption of Vesuvius are heartbreaking. The uncertainty of who survives and who doesn’t is terrifying. But as maudlin as this may seem, the jewels that are passed down today, and during the days and weeks to come, may be all the more precious for having been so carefully crafted to precising instructions, designed at a specific moment in human history, to express the longing for expression of one 21st century soul. They will be in an exhibit someday, I guarantee it.

Now, imagine your photo, in a glass case, your name and vital dates on a little card, nestled adjacent to one (just one) of your earrings. The post will be bent and the metal fatigued. Finding your earring will be the career-defining moment of victory for someone. Curators will write papers on your earring for publication in scholarly journals. It will be the subject of interpretation within the context of events that unfolded over your lifetime, which future generations will lump together as a century. Your earring will be seen by seven million people over the course of five years, and might even make the poster for the exhibition.

Would you care what kind of stone it was?

Last edited by a moderator:

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Pricescope serves a vital function in a wonderful parallel to museums and libraries around the world. That is, it serves as a repository for images (and the details of items therein), and would make curators blush at the bounty of it.

As such, Pricescope is a secular sacred space, where people of all cultures can gather to witness and discuss beauty, and the objects that possess it, not to mention to edify and quantify the specifics that create or destroy that beauty.

The human animal has always craved beauty, perhaps more so in times of great stress. These pieces were without exception designed by human eyes, and wrought by human hands. They are often symbolic of our planet’s greatest achievement (love) but even if they measure up as nothing but eye candy with no greater purpose, they are still the clearest evidence we have of our species’ creativity and aesthetic imperative.

To put it another way, shouldn’t we be glad that the people of Pompeii and Herculaneum so precisely designed and carefully cultivated their own adornment? We can behold Pompeiian jewels in museums today, giving us a taste of how they lived, adding to our understanding of human nature, softening up our brusque and brash daily struggle, helping us empathise with those who suffered so tragically, so suddenly. A little understanding goes a long way.

The hand-wringing over lower facet length, claw prongs, or gold versus platinum is far from petty; it is evidence of how much we still care about beauty, even as the world crashes. What some may see as silly indecision about milgrain is actually the attempt to reach out for precision in artful expression of the soul. Jewels are the quintessence of human adornment, our species’ most essential act, and a testament to our cultural progress over time.

The Romans carved bone bracelets and inlaid them with finely wrought gold wire. They carefully and painstakingly shaped emeralds and rubies into beads and strung them on gold chains. When their cities burned, they didn’t stop loving the tangible evidence of their own creativity, especially not the precious jewels their souls found beautiful.

What pieces survive when we are gone and all other possessions are dust? Jewels. And we who wring our hands today over OEC versus MRB will sometimes be remembered for them, as we ourselves occasionally think of our ancestors as we experience their jewels.

As we watch the Covid tragedy unfold in Italy, the parallels to the eruption of Vesuvius are heartbreaking. The uncertainty of who survives and who doesn’t is terrifying. But as maudlin as this may seem, the jewels that are passed down today, and during the days and weeks to come, may be all the more precious for having been so carefully crafted to precising instructions, designed at a specific moment in human history, to express the longing for expression of one 21st century soul. They will be in an exhibit someday, I guarantee it.

Now, imagine your photo, in a glass case, your name and vital dates on a little card, nestled adjacent to one (just one) of your earrings. The post will be bent and the metal fatigued. Finding your earring will be the career-defining moment of victory for someone. Curators will write papers on your earring for publication in scholarly journals. It will be the subject of interpretation within the context of events that unfolded over your lifetime, which future generations will lump together as a century. Your earring will be seen by seven million people over the course of five years, and might even make the poster for the exhibition.

How beautifully written! Thank you! As a curator myself, sitting in an improvised home office and missing "my" objects, you really touched my heart. Based right next to Italy I can confirm, that the situation is terrible there right now.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricescope serves a vital function in a wonderful parallel to museums and libraries around the world. That is, it serves as a repository for images (and the details of items therein), and would make curators blush at the bounty of it.

So beautiful. Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results