shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are we talking diamonds at this time?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are fun and elicit joy.

Coronavirus does not.

That's why.

The end.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
@PreRaphaelite your post brought me to tears.

When I was a kid I went to the Met and fell in love with suite of amethyst jewels from Egypt. I wondered about the beautiful lady who wore them and how she must have felt in her crisp linen robes and lovely jewelry. She never could have imagined that her bracelets would travel through time and become the stuff of dreams for a little working-class girl in a cold, gray city thousands of miles away.

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 8.20.05 PM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm recovering from what was most likely coronavirus but I didn't meet the criteria for testing so I'll never know. I'm separated from my son while I'm in quarantine. A close friend is now coming down with it. My parents are elderly and not in the best health and I can't see them either. I may get laid off tomorrow.

I come here for beauty and distraction. Please understand that we all cope in different ways.

I am so sorry you are dealing with all this and hope your recovery continues to go well. Praying your parents stay well and that if you lose your job after this is all over you can find an even better one. But first things first and take care of your health and one day at a time. Sending you gentle hugs and well wishes for you and your family. (((Hugs))).

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry you are dealing with all this and hope your recovery continues to go well. Praying your parents stay well and that if you lose your job after this is all over you can find an even better one. But first things first and take care of your health and one day at a time. Sending you gentle hugs and well wishes for you and your family. (((Hugs))).

@missy, I always see you dispensing love and kindness to your fellow PSers. They don't make jewels big enough for people like you. Thank you, and may you be blessed for your spiritual generosity.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pricescope serves a vital function in a wonderful parallel to museums and libraries around the world. That is, it serves as a repository for images (and the details of items therein), and would make curators blush at the bounty of it.

As such, Pricescope is a secular sacred space, where people of all cultures can gather to witness and discuss beauty, and the objects that possess it, not to mention to edify and quantify the specifics that create or destroy that beauty.

The human animal has always craved beauty, perhaps more so in times of great stress. These pieces were without exception designed by human eyes, and wrought by human hands. They are often symbolic of our planet’s greatest achievement (love) but even if they measure up as nothing but eye candy with no greater purpose, they are still the clearest evidence we have of our species’ creativity and aesthetic imperative.

To put it another way, shouldn’t we be glad that the people of Pompeii and Herculaneum so precisely designed and carefully cultivated their own adornment? We can behold Pompeiian jewels in museums today, giving us a taste of how they lived, adding to our understanding of human nature, softening up our brusque and brash daily struggle, helping us empathise with those who suffered so tragically, so suddenly. A little understanding goes a long way.

The hand-wringing over lower facet length, claw prongs, or gold versus platinum is far from petty; it is evidence of how much we still care about beauty, even as the world crashes. What some may see as silly indecision about milgrain is actually the attempt to reach out for precision in artful expression of the soul. Jewels are the quintessence of human adornment, our species’ most essential act, and a testament to our cultural progress over time.

The Romans carved bone bracelets and inlaid them with finely wrought gold wire. They carefully and painstakingly shaped emeralds and rubies into beads and strung them on gold chains. When their cities burned, they didn’t stop loving the tangible evidence of their own creativity, especially not the precious jewels their souls found beautiful.

What pieces survive when we are gone and all other possessions are dust? Jewels. And we who wring our hands today over OEC versus MRB will sometimes be remembered for them, as we ourselves occasionally think of our ancestors as we experience their jewels.

As we watch the Covid tragedy unfold in Italy, the parallels to the eruption of Vesuvius are heartbreaking. The uncertainty of who survives and who doesn’t is terrifying. But as maudlin as this may seem, the jewels that are passed down today, and during the days and weeks to come, may be all the more precious for having been so carefully crafted to precising instructions, designed at a specific moment in human history, to express the longing for expression of one 21st century soul. They will be in an exhibit someday, I guarantee it.

Now, imagine your photo, in a glass case, your name and vital dates on a little card, nestled adjacent to one (just one) of your earrings. The post will be bent and the metal fatigued. Finding your earring will be the career-defining moment of victory for someone. Curators will write papers on your earring for publication in scholarly journals. It will be the subject of interpretation within the context of events that unfolded over your lifetime, which future generations will lump together as a century. Your earring will be seen by seven million people over the course of five years, and might even make the poster for the exhibition.

Would you care what kind of stone it was?

Where is the standing ovation emoji?! I bloody love this post @PreRaphaelite

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
You have a valid question and I understand why you asked it. Like many have stated, I come here for distraction. I find myself spending too much time reading about the chaos going on in the world, and anxiety sets in. This forum lets me take a break from the seemingly endless barage of pandemic related news.

My husband works in an industry that will not let him quarantine at this time. I am anxious for his safety as well as the possibility of our family being exposed through him. I have to accept the fact that I can't control what's going on out there. It doesn't mean that I'm unaware or indifferent to the situation, but worrying, obsessing, and fixating on things I can't control (which I'm prone to doing) won't change anything. Certainly, worrying about what others are doing is not going to accomplish much either.

Sometimes we just have to step back and remember to breathe. It's okay to enjoy trivial things and simple pleasures without becoming completely oblivious to the world around us.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
You have a valid question and I understand why you asked it. Like many have stated, I come here for distraction. I find myself spending too much time reading about the chaos going on in the world, and anxiety sets in. This forum lets me take a break from the seemingly endless barage of pandemic related news.

My husband works in an industry that will not let him quarantine at this time. I am anxious for his safety as well as the possibility of our family being exposed through him. I have to accept the fact that I can't control what's going on out there. It doesn't mean that I'm unaware or indifferent to the situation, but worrying, obsessing, and fixating on things I can't control (which I'm prone to doing) won't change anything. Certainly, worrying about what others are doing is not going to accomplish much either.

Sometimes we just have to step back and remember to breathe. It's okay to enjoy trivial things and simple pleasures without becoming completely oblivious to the world around us.

Me too, my husband is a nurse and i am in a constant state of worry, both for him and my children. This is such a wonderful way to calm myself and indulge in something Im passionate about! :)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect and true responses, ladies and gents. Let’s focus on positives and whatever makes you happy and gets you through the day, whether that’s diamonds or springtime flowers.
522A644A-431F-4B82-8DE0-F519DCA188D2.jpeg

Thanks for the Hockney!
I adore his work.
And @PreRaphaelite , you are brilliant and erudite. Thanks for the uplifting words. Also, I watched the video of the painting restoration, it was wonderful!

Last edited:

whatamilookingat

Rough_Rock
Me too, my husband is a nurse and i am in a constant state of worry, both for him and my children. This is such a wonderful way to calm myself and indulge in something Im passionate about! :)

Thank you to your husband for what he does. It is a scary time out there for those that work in healthcare. This really is a place to escape reality for a bit.

While my husband is not in the medical field, I fear that having him out each day with a pandemic going on is putting him-and our family at risk. I started to get worked up, questioning all the scenarios that could lead to exposure. He had to repeatedly reassure me that he would take all the necessary precautions, that a safety meeting would be had, etc. I still worry, and question whether his coworkers are minimizing their risks outside of work, but it brings me back to the fact that I have to accept that I can't control what others are doing.

Last edited:

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you to your husband for what he does. It is a scary time out there for those that work in healthcare. This really is a place to escape reality for a bit.

While my husband is not in the medical field, I fear that having him out each day with a pandemic going on is putting him-and our family at risk. I started to get worked up, questioning all the scenarios that could lead to exposure. He had to repeatedly reassure me that he would take all the necessary precautions, that a safety meeting would be had, etc. I still worry, and question weather his coworkers are minimizing their risks outside of work, but it brings me back to the fact that I have to accept that I can't control what others are doing.

Thank you! Yes, I do the same, wonder and worry about what hes doing every second. Honestly, we cant even talk anymore about whats going on bc after he told me the hospital was running out of n95 masks, i kinda lost my s***, lol!
Now I'm gonna head out of here and look at some diamonds in other threads, if OP doesnt mind, haha! ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So thrilled with the responses on this thread! I am so thankful for this forum and the friendships I have made here!

Pricescope serves a vital function in a wonderful parallel to museums and libraries around the world. That is, it serves as a repository for images (and the details of items therein), and would make curators blush at the bounty of it.

As such, Pricescope is a secular sacred space, where people of all cultures can gather to witness and discuss beauty, and the objects that possess it, not to mention to edify and quantify the specifics that create or destroy that beauty.

The human animal has always craved beauty, perhaps more so in times of great stress. These pieces were without exception designed by human eyes, and wrought by human hands. They are often symbolic of our planet’s greatest achievement (love) but even if they measure up as nothing but eye candy with no greater purpose, they are still the clearest evidence we have of our species’ creativity and aesthetic imperative.

To put it another way, shouldn’t we be glad that the people of Pompeii and Herculaneum so precisely designed and carefully cultivated their own adornment? We can behold Pompeiian jewels in museums today, giving us a taste of how they lived, adding to our understanding of human nature, softening up our brusque and brash daily struggle, helping us empathise with those who suffered so tragically, so suddenly. A little understanding goes a long way.

The hand-wringing over lower facet length, claw prongs, or gold versus platinum is far from petty; it is evidence of how much we still care about beauty, even as the world crashes. What some may see as silly indecision about milgrain is actually the attempt to reach out for precision in artful expression of the soul. Jewels are the quintessence of human adornment, our species’ most essential act, and a testament to our cultural progress over time.

The Romans carved bone bracelets and inlaid them with finely wrought gold wire. They carefully and painstakingly shaped emeralds and rubies into beads and strung them on gold chains. When their cities burned, they didn’t stop loving the tangible evidence of their own creativity, especially not the precious jewels their souls found beautiful.

What pieces survive when we are gone and all other possessions are dust? Jewels. And we who wring our hands today over OEC versus MRB will sometimes be remembered for them, as we ourselves occasionally think of our ancestors as we experience their jewels.

As we watch the Covid tragedy unfold in Italy, the parallels to the eruption of Vesuvius are heartbreaking. The uncertainty of who survives and who doesn’t is terrifying. But as maudlin as this may seem, the jewels that are passed down today, and during the days and weeks to come, may be all the more precious for having been so carefully crafted to precising instructions, designed at a specific moment in human history, to express the longing for expression of one 21st century soul. They will be in an exhibit someday, I guarantee it.

Now, imagine your photo, in a glass case, your name and vital dates on a little card, nestled adjacent to one (just one) of your earrings. The post will be bent and the metal fatigued. Finding your earring will be the career-defining moment of victory for someone. Curators will write papers on your earring for publication in scholarly journals. It will be the subject of interpretation within the context of events that unfolded over your lifetime, which future generations will lump together as a century. Your earring will be seen by seven million people over the course of five years, and might even make the poster for the exhibition.

What an absolutely beautiful statement! Are you a writer? This certainly should be published! I cannot express my thoughts in words the way you can, but I do feel that way. I buy beautiful quality pieces because I hope they will be heirlooms passed down from one generation to another with love.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
People are sequestered for days, weeks, some for months on end. There are rumors of military troops on the ready, shortages in stores, and a medical industry that cannot adequately prepare for the upcoming months due to lack of equipment. Downtown streets, normally hustling with thousands of people are empty, the stock exchange is in turmoil, retail businesses are shuttered for an indefinite time period, and school yards are empty. People are scared.

I spoke to some relatives in Poland earlier today. They have been quarantined in their 450 sq. foot apartment for over a month. My 91-year-old relative hasn’t been able to leave the apartment and relies on her son to bring her essentials every day. The medical infrastructure in their town of half a million people has been overwhelmed for weeks, with no sign of improvement in the near future. She is the ideal host for the virus, she is older, physically vulnerable, and lives on the 11th floor of a densely populated, close-quartered apartment high-rise.

As I was preparing to offer what comfort I could, she surprised me with her trademark optimism saying, “But you know what – the flowers on my balcony are beginning to bloom and I am anticipating their beauty and smell. Nature just continues on. Where my flowers are, I find joy.”

I paused and thought on this incredible woman. I am practicing social distancing with the same veracity of anyone in America. I am able to FaceTime with my friends and family and Zoom with my co-workers. I pray for my family, my community, my country and the world daily. I worry for the retail workers who cannot earn, I worry for the truck drivers who are sometimes unable to find a meal, and especially for anyone who has been affected directly by the Corona Virus.

Amidst all of that, I had already forgotten, I think, what Henia from Gdansk made perfectly clear: Focus on the beauty around you. Don’t forget the little things that make you smile. Never let an external force steal the joy from your life.

I, like many here on PriceScope, find a profound joy in diamonds. The science geek in me is still enamored by angles, percentages and inverse-proportion light performance. The artist in me is still intrigued with the light spectrum and brilliant white flashes that are created. While transactions may have slowed, while purchases may be paused, and our lives are altered, nature continues. People will celebrate (as best they can) birthdays, anniversaries and engagements. Love will still blossom and excitement will build as relationships grow stronger.

Like Henia’s balcony flowers, I can find my escape periodically into the world of gems and jewelry. My “flowers” are diamonds, classical music and good wine. If all of us pause for a second to discover our own metaphorical flowers, it may make this entire ordeal a bit easier. Thank you, Henia for reminding me that passions and distractions help us deal with life’s worries – where your flowers are, you’ll find joy.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Appreciate all the different opinions and perspectives.
This is a forum of opinions, and some very good ones I would say.
Keep ”those” coming.
However, there have been a few “personal” and “name calling” attacks, those do not belong on the forum.
You know who you are. You have been reported to Admin.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Criticism - I have seen and heard it all. Why do you donate to animal charities when there are people in need? Why do you enjoy material objects in your life when people are suffering? Why do you spend money on things that I (a total stranger) do not approve of?

If somebody wants to feel guilty about their life choices I say have at it. But when someone is trying to make me feel guilty over doing something that hurts no one else I think that person is trying to claim righteous indignation and failing miserably.

That is my two cents and maybe some people will disapprove. But in the words of Graham Greene "I have done something wicked, yet my heart feels as pure as a lamb."

Q

Queenie60

I'm recovering from what was most likely coronavirus but I didn't meet the criteria for testing so I'll never know. I'm separated from my son while I'm in quarantine. A close friend is now coming down with it. My parents are elderly and not in the best health and I can't see them either. I may get laid off tomorrow.

I come here for beauty and distraction. Please understand that we all cope in different ways.

I'm sorry @MrsBlue - Please take care of yourself and stay positive during this most difficult time. I'll pray for you and for everyone who is suffering, financially and/or health wise. God Bless

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Appreciate all the different opinions and perspectives.
This is a forum of opinions, and some very good ones I would say.
Keep ”those” coming.
However, there have been a few “personal” and “name calling” attacks, those do not belong on the forum.
You know who you are. You have been reported to Admin.

When you make such a strong statement, you should expect strong answers. I'm not sure why you would expect anything different.

I must have missed it, but i didnt see anyone call you any names.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As the title says: Why are we talking diamonds at this time?

What size center stone should I get?
What color or clarity?
What type of studs should I buy?
The list of topics goes on and on.

I think it is selfish. We are all living through an epidemic of such huge proportions to our health, safety, welfare.
This thing is spreading and not under control. People are scared. Mental illness is surfacing.

SELFISH?! OMG, I'm a woman and I've been called SELFISH my whole entire life, every time I express any interest in something that isn't being a self-sacrificing servant girl doing everything gratis for everyone else who comes down the pike. Rest assured I will give your opinion every bit of thought and consideration that I believe it deserves. Here, people are still out shopping the Home Depot and Lowe's like it's Christmas, the vast majority buying nonessential products like paint and new kitchen cabinets, and the materials to build a new deck, so that they have something to work on while their bored selves have a world-pandemic vacation from their jobs. Personally, I find the pandemic very disconcerting and disruptive and it makes me uninterested in shopping for anything other than food and other survival supplies. Maybe a pair of comfortable sensible walking shoes.

So far as COVID-19 preparedness is concerned, there's only so much anyone can do in preparation while still in the waiting-game phase. After it hits, you'll have something concrete to fight. But for now, all people can do is follow the news, take precautions, try to get prepared, and wait it out. My county just declared its first actual case yesterday, and they've given us no details. Rumor says it's a cashier at WalMart. I think we're at less risk buying diamonds online than going to the local grocery store. So if you have a stockpile of money, why not.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
the thing with internet chat boards is its easy to misinterpret what someone is saying
especially in today's world where we can communicate with people all over the workd
but for example even between English speaking nations even humour is not always the same
in the face to face world you see a person's expression as they talk and it takes on a truer meaning than how the writren word is read
speaking as one (not here) who has been on the receiving end of an internet wolf pack attack i try my hardest to give people the benefit of the doubt in their intentions

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Willy, “Every party has a pooper that’s why we invited you, party pooper”. I‘m sorry I mean that in humor. For so many of us, all coming together to ‘talk’ and share and reach out, is very reassuring. Many of us are familiar presences for one another and offer comfort and friendship. Sharing our common love of jewelry and gems binds us together in a special way. I hope you do what makes you comfortable but please don’t judge us.

Last edited:

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
the thing with internet chat boards is its easy to misinterpret what someone is saying
especially in today's world where we can communicate with people all over the workd
but for example even between English speaking nations even humour is not always the same
in the face to face world you see a person's expression as they talk and it takes on a truer meaning than how the writren word is read
speaking as one (not here) who has been on the receiving end of an internet wolf pack attack i try my hardest to give people the benefit of the doubt in their intentions

I do try to give the benefit of the doubt as well, but honestly, OP made me feel a bit guilty (which is very easy to do) bc i am here. I cant think, eat or hardly sleep. I live in the 3rd hardest hit state in the US, and my husband works at the biggest hospital in it. He will be home in 2 hrs. and I have no idea what he will bring home with him. I NEED this place. I dont care what we talk about, as long as it isnt THAT bc all my friends and family want to talk about is caronavirus, caronavirus, caronavirus, and i just cant anymore. :((

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do try to give the benefit of the doubt as well, but honestly, OP made me feel a bit guilty (which is very easy to do) bc i am here. I cant think, eat or hardly sleep. I live in the 3rd hardest hit state in the US, and my husband works at the biggest hospital in it. He will be home in 2 hrs. and I have no idea what he will bring home with him. I NEED this place. I dont care what we talk about, as long as it isnt THAT bc all my friends and family want to talk about is caronavirus, caronavirus, caronavirus, and i just cant anymore. :((

Do not for one second let anyone lay a guilt trip on you! Hang in there! Thanks to your DH for his work. I know your worry well, my daughter is a paramedic and is at multiple hospitals around the clock on her shifts. Anything we can do to help ourselves and one another during this very scary time is not to be judged by anyone! I’m glad you find pleasant distraction here.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Do not for one second let anyone lay a guilt trip on you! Hang in there! Thanks to your DH for his work. I know your worry well, my daughter is a paramedic and is at multiple hospitals around the clock on her shifts. Anything we can do to help ourselves and one another during this very scary time is not to be judged by anyone! I’m glad you find pleasant distraction here.

Thank you, and thanks to your daughter for saving lives as well. :)

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Because I have 6 kids home loaded down w school work (incl some special needs) & my anxiety is sky high.
I need a break from them and the constant coronavirus news all over.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricescope serves an important cultural function, in a wonderful parallel to museums and libraries around the world. That is, it serves as a burgeoning repository for images, and offers the opportunity for open discussion and interpretation of objects of beauty depicted therein. The depth and breadth of its virtual collection would make a curator blush - and its ability to actively engage its community is the stuff of museum administration dreams.

This is such a beautiful, evocative post... Thank you so much for sharing it with us @PreRaphaelite.
::HUGS!::

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I am here complying with CDC directives. =)2
Under section titled Stress And Coping...2 highlighted suggestions:
  • Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories and social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
  • Make time to unwind. Try to do some other activities you enjoy.
And this one:
  • Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep, and avoid alcohol and drugs.
Oh well, Two out of three ain’t bad.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Pricescope serves an important cultural function, in a wonderful parallel to museums and libraries around the world. That is, it serves as a burgeoning repository for images, and offers the opportunity for open discussion and interpretation of objects of beauty depicted therein. The depth and breadth of its virtual collection would make a curator blush - and its ability to actively engage its community is the stuff of museum administration dreams.

Thought provoking thread indeed. Such lovely to read and I’m in agreement. Bravo. Thank you.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
was going to repsond to OP, then i saw all the lovely differing responses to OP, and then i thought - i dont need to add anymore... its all been said..but,,, i will still want to add my 2c worth! LOLOLOLOL

Thanx to all the health care workers out there, for you are at the forefront of this incredible and scary pandemic. And, from what i have read, it is still a long ways yet from seeing it coming to an end. The curve aint flattening like Singapore and HK, it is escalating.

Thanx to all the essential service providers, too... teachers that providing on line access, garbage collectors, cleaners and so on.. THANX so much for keeping ppl safe.

I made the (respectful) decision to temporary close my business in all this chaos. I felt the need to minimising the spread of the virus and to care for my staff and patients/ clients. This will be crippling for business, well crippling to all business. I may be from the land downunder...but, we are all in this together....

I also think i am young enough to rebuild when it is 'safe' enough to reopen.

and, it is one of the reasons, that I have been back on the boards more frequently.

But, to the OP, you can think it is selfish to have these diamond discussion (which i will call distraction), and that is ok. that is where you are with this. I do not think it either right or wrong, it is your interpretation of what is. There is no harm in your opinion, as it is an opinion; like all of ours.

Signing off now, cos i tend to ramble... LOL

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously? I have no patience for people who lecture others on proper behavior. Generally speaking these people should look at themselves first.

The forum is no different than a video game or a good book. It serves as an outlet for stress and anxiety, a way to connect with people while still maintaining distance.

I think you're way, way off base here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results