shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are these priced different

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
I''m searching for a ring online, and I think I found what I am looking for... I spoke with a local jeweler and he said I''d never be able to find what I was looking for and if i did it was a ''hokey'' diamond. I''m looking for a 2ct Asscher, I, VS2, for around 10k...

I found this ring at abazias that is near my range:
ct = 2.0
Color = I
Clarity = VVS2
lw = 1.03
depth = 60.9
table = 58
polish = very good
symmetry = very good
fluorescence= None
Girdle = slightly thick

my question is, I see another ring with similar dimensions that is priced 5000 higher on the same site:
ct = 2.01
Color = H
Clarity = VS1
lw = 1.05
depth = 66.9
table = 58
polish = very good
symmetry = good
fluorescence= None
Girdle = slightly thin - slightly thick

Is there something that I am not looking for that the ring around $5k cheaper is missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! You absolutely have to have pictures to evaluate any fancy cut stone. Can''t judge them by the numbers alone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

What are the lab reports for each diamond, are they both GIA? For asschers you absolutely need photos at the very least in order to judge the cut.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the responses... Both diamonds are in fact GIA.
I will ask for the pictures.

Thanks.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Sorry to write again so quickly. What should I be looking for in the pictures that the numbers wouldn''t reflect? I am very new to all of this.

Thanks.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 1:33:05 PM
Author: plzhelp
Sorry to write again so quickly. What should I be looking for in the pictures that the numbers wouldn''t reflect? I am very new to all of this.

Thanks.
Pictures can help ascertain how well the stone is cut. In photos, you can see the patterns, potential areas of light leakage, etc. Those things can''t be expressed by the numbers.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:17:43 AM
Author:plzhelp
I spoke with a local jeweler and he said I''d never be able to find what I was looking for and if i did it was a ''hokey'' diamond. I''m looking for a 2ct Asscher, I, VS2, for around 10k...
Your jeweler was right - it will be very hard (if not impossible) to find what you want for 10k. I check 2ct asschers periodically and I rarely see any nice looking ones for under $15k, usually more like $18-22k.

Everyone else telling you you need pictures is also right. One asscher is not like the next - they all have extremely varied faceting patterns. One of those stones could be just fine, where the other looks completely dead. It''s ALL about the cut with asschers.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to write again so quickly. What should I be looking for in the pictures that the numbers wouldn't reflect? I am very new to all of this.

Thanks.
Have you ever seen an asscher in person?

Why don't you check out Good Old Gold? They have pictures for almost all of their stones, and lots of comparison videos. Here are two good ones:
Asscher Cuts and ASET Images
Comparing 3 Asschers with 2 Winner

Look at the different stones and see which ones appeal to you.

There is SOOOO much more to diamonds, especially fancy cuts, than the basic numbers. Do yourself a favor and read up a bit before seriously considering purchasing
1.gif

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the responses.

I called one of the online diamond retailers I have been looking at and asked what the disparity in price was to 2 diamonds similar to the ones above. The service rep told me that the less expensive one seems to be a better diamond, and it is probably the cutter selling the diamond at a better rate to help move it. When I asked for pictures, she said she would have to contact the cutter to see if they do in fact have pictures (off until friday due to the holiday). Is that plausible, that a diamond can be priced 4k difference, just due to the cutter?

To Musey: Thank you for your input. I am doing my best to educate myself, that is why I am here. Yes I have seen asschers in person, and I actually did see some 2 ct priced in the 13-14 range that I thought looked very nice. I feel like I have educated myself on the 4c''s, table/depth, polish, symmetry, fluorescence, culet, girdle, and culet. The reason I am on here is to find out what other aspects I should be looking for.

Thank you all for the assistance.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Just to add one more thing. The site identifies the less expensive diamond cut as premium... could there still be issues with the cut that I can see by looking?

Thanks again!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 2:32:19 PM
Just to add one more thing. The site identifies the less expensive diamond cut as premium... could there still be issues with the cut that I can see by looking?

Thanks again!!
Labels such as Premium Cut, Ideal Cut etc are no guarantee of a well cut diamond. Particularly with asschers, a degree of expertise is needed in evaluating the images and cut quality. I will make sure strmrider sees this thread as he has a special interest with this cut and will be able to help you further.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 2:28:55 PM
Thanks again for the responses.

I called one of the online diamond retailers I have been looking at and asked what the disparity in price was to 2 diamonds similar to the ones above. The service rep told me that the less expensive one seems to be a better diamond, and it is probably the cutter selling the diamond at a better rate to help move it. When I asked for pictures, she said she would have to contact the cutter to see if they do in fact have pictures (off until friday due to the holiday). Is that plausible, that a diamond can be priced 4k difference, just due to the cutter?

To Musey: Thank you for your input. I am doing my best to educate myself, that is why I am here. Yes I have seen asschers in person, and I actually did see some 2 ct priced in the 13-14 range that I thought looked very nice. I feel like I have educated myself on the 4c''s, table/depth, polish, symmetry, fluorescence, culet, girdle, and culet. The reason I am on here is to find out what other aspects I should be looking for.

Thank you all for the assistance.
Yes, this is very plausible. Do you have the GIA certs? Check the date on the less expensive one. It is possible that that particular cutter has had the stone sitting around for a while. You are also talking about the difference in a color grade. Its also really hard to tell without seeing pictures. We have no way of telling what either of these stones look like. If I was looking for an Asscher right now I would want to see exactly what the facets and the windmills look like. I am partial to windmills that are similar in size to the sides. I also perfer that the windmill angles are exact. Those are only examples of two things that I would need to see in a picture. Does that make sense?

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Thank you.

I am just a little confused. Everyone keeps telling me that there is no way I can find the diamond I am looking for at a price that is in my budget. I have found diamonds in my budget based on my criteria above...... So I''m not sure what criteria I am missing that others are not accounting for. From what I''m understanding there are attributes which might not be in the ''numbers'' which could bring the value down.

What are the attributes that I might be missing?
Will I be able to tell by looking at the diamond myself?
Are these attributes that only a skilled jeweler would recognize?

For the people that are telling me that a ''good'' diamond should cost in the $18k range... What are they considering a ''good'' diamond. I am okay with the VS2,H-I, very good polish/symmetry, N-F fluorescence, slight thin-slight thick, depth and table in the very good range (58-67,58-65)... Are people saying that diamonds with these attributes should be 18k? or are they considering ''good'' diamonds better attributes?

I don''t want to chase a deal that is too good to be true, but at the same time, I''d like to understand a little more why some are saying that the deals are in fact too good to be true.

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for everyone''s assistance.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:42:34 PM
Thank you.

I am just a little confused. Everyone keeps telling me that there is no way I can find the diamond I am looking for at a price that is in my budget. I have found diamonds in my budget based on my criteria above...... So I''m not sure what criteria I am missing that others are not accounting for. From what I''m understanding there are attributes which might not be in the ''numbers'' which could bring the value down.

For the people that are telling me that a ''good'' diamond should cost in the $18k range... What are they considering a ''good'' diamond. I am okay with the VS2,H-I, very good polish/symmetry, N-F fluorescence, slight thin-slight thick, depth and table in the very good range (58-67,58-65)... Are people saying that diamonds with these attributes should be 18k? or are they considering ''good'' diamonds better attributes?

I don''t want to chase a deal that is too good to be true, but at the same time, I''d like to understand a little more why some are saying that the deals are in fact too good to be true.

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for everyone''s assistance.
Don''t worry about that now. Get the pictures and that will tell you a lot. I think you can find something in the 11-14k range. Maybe not 10 unless you drop to a J color. I''ll look around and see what you can find.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Oh and to answer your question on what you are missing... you can''t judge asschers alone based on the numbers. You are missing what the stone actuallly looks like.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:53:20 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
Oh and to answer your question on what you are missing... you can''t judge asschers alone based on the numbers. You are missing what the stone actually looks like.
yep

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:42:34 PM
Thank you.

I am just a little confused. Everyone keeps telling me that there is no way I can find the diamond I am looking for at a price that is in my budget. I have found diamonds in my budget based on my criteria above...... So I'm not sure what criteria I am missing that others are not accounting for. From what I'm understanding there are attributes which might not be in the 'numbers' which could bring the value down.

For the people that are telling me that a 'good' diamond should cost in the $18k range... What are they considering a 'good' diamond. I am okay with the VS2,H-I, very good polish/symmetry, N-F fluorescence, slight thin-slight thick, depth and table in the very good range (58-67,58-65)... Are people saying that diamonds with these attributes should be 18k? or are they considering 'good' diamonds better attributes?
plzhelp, I alluded to this in my earlier posts:

Date: 4/15/2009 1:55:33 PM
Author: musey
Date: 4/15/2009 11:17:43 AM
Author:plzhelp
I spoke with a local jeweler and he said I'd never be able to find what I was looking for and if i did it was a 'hokey' diamond. I'm looking for a 2ct Asscher, I, VS2, for around 10k...
Your jeweler was right - it will be very hard (if not impossible) to find what you want for 10k. I check 2ct asschers periodically and I rarely see any nice looking ones for under $15k, usually more like $18-22k.

Everyone else telling you you need pictures is also right. One asscher is not like the next - they all have extremely varied faceting patterns. One of those stones could be just fine, where the other looks completely dead. It's ALL about the cut with asschers.

Date: 4/15/2009 2:01:44 PM
Author: musey
Sorry to write again so quickly. What should I be looking for in the pictures that the numbers wouldn't reflect? I am very new to all of this.

Thanks.
Have you ever seen an asscher in person?

Why don't you check out Good Old Gold? They have pictures for almost all of their stones, and lots of comparison videos. Here are two good ones:
Asscher Cuts and ASET Images
Comparing 3 Asschers with 2 Winner

Look at the different stones and see which ones appeal to you.

There is SOOOO much more to diamonds, especially fancy cuts, than the basic numbers. Do yourself a favor and read up a bit before seriously considering purchasing
1.gif

35.gif

Like EM1 said, what you are missing is the most important aspect of any fancy cut, the visual appearance. You're paying attention to everything except that.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:44:51 PM
Since we are discussing stones... I figured I''d give you an example in your price range that I think is worth taking a second look at. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1072145.asp I really like the proportions, windmills and steps on this one.

I really like the way that one looks. Thanks for sending that over. It is a little higher than I am looking to spend, but it gives me a great idea of what I am looking for. Who knows, I might have to drop down in carat size to 1.75 or so.

I looked at a bunch of the pics of asschers on jamesallen, and for the most part, I like the majority of the cuts. I tend to like the wider ''windmills'', but to be honest, the thinner ones don''t look to bad to me either.

From what I''m getting from everyone, and I greatly appreciate all your assistance as I try to bring my knowledge up to speed, is that every person might like/dislike the appearance of different asschers, since it is a fancy cut.

So if I find a stone that matches my criteria, is in my price range, and I personally like the appearance, then I have a winner. I will try to look around, get some pictures and post them. As I would appreciate all your opinions.

Thanks!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 8:59:01 AM

Since we are discussing stones... I figured I''d give you an example in your price range that I think is worth taking a second look at. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1072145.asp I really like the proportions, windmills and steps on this one.

I really like the way that one looks. Thanks for sending that over. It is a little higher than I am looking to spend, but it gives me a great idea of what I am looking for. Who knows, I might have to drop down in carat size to 1.75 or so.

I looked at a bunch of the pics of asschers on jamesallen, and for the most part, I like the majority of the cuts. I tend to like the wider ''windmills'', but to be honest, the thinner ones don''t look to bad to me either.

From what I''m getting from everyone, and I greatly appreciate all your assistance as I try to bring my knowledge up to speed, is that every person might like/dislike the appearance of different asschers, since it is a fancy cut.

So if I find a stone that matches my criteria, is in my price range, and I personally like the appearance, then I have a winner. I will try to look around, get some pictures and post them. As I would appreciate all your opinions.

Thanks!
Please come back with pictures. I looked at all the asschers and square emeralds on JA''s site between G-J and VVS1-VS2 and the one above is the only one that I personally liked. I''m a big stickler for symmetry and proportion in the steps which I think has come with time and viewing so many diamonds. However, you may not be as picky. I''m telling you this because it is easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of buying a diamond and overlook some things that in the long run may bother you. So, if you can post some pics and we will all try and help you out.

Good luck.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 9:41:00 AM

Thanks!
Please come back with pictures. I looked at all the asschers and square emeralds on JA''s site between G-J and VVS1-VS2 and the one above is the only one that I personally liked. I''m a big stickler for symmetry and proportion in the steps which I think has come with time and viewing so many diamonds. However, you may not be as picky. I''m telling you this because it is easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of buying a diamond and overlook some things that in the long run may bother you. So, if you can post some pics and we will all try and help you out.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for taking the time to look into this... Can you, or anyone, please give me your opinions on the following:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1216433.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Thanks!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 10:53:47 AM
Can you, or anyone, please give me your opinions on the following:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1216433.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Thanks!
You did notice it''s a smaller carat weight than you said you were looking for (1.85 instead of 2ct), right?

To my eye, and to borrow strm''s signature phrase, it is not a "kickin asscher." I suspect you''d have a significant amount of light leakage under the edges of the table... but I am NOT an expert on eyeballing these things so don''t take my word as gold (not that you would
2.gif
).

I know this one is out of your price range, but just to figure out what appeals to you: which one do you like, this stone, or the James Allen one you linked?

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/4599/

Try to ignore the lighting differences and just look at the faceting patterns. What do you think?

asschersignorelighting.jpg

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock

Thanks!

Good luck.
Thank you so much for taking the time to look into this... Can you, or anyone, please give me your opinions on the following:

Thanks!
I''m not a fan of this one at all. There are some obvious problems with it that I am sure are more technical than I can expain it. The BIG two things that I don''t like about it are:

1. The windmills are not on an even angle. This would bother me on any stone. The windmills are not perfectly straight. That is enough to turn me away. In my mind a perfect asscher should look like one continuous windmill of equal width. I know we aren''t talking about a RA here but what really bothers me is when the windmills of an asscher just aren''t straight. I don''t know how to better say it.

2. Ok, the outline of the table when you look through the stone should draw your eye into a "hall of mirrors" so to speak. When you look at this the first step in that pattern it is hugely out of proportion in my eye; It is just way too big. The steps are uneven and that just really bothers me. Compare this to the one musey posted which is from GOG and a lot more than you are looking to spend and also compare it to the JA diamond I posted above. Huge difference visually in my opinion.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 6:25:10 PM

Thanks!

Good luck.

Thanks!
I''m not a fan of this one at all. There are some obvious problems with it that I am sure are more technical than I can expain it. The BIG two things that I don''t like about it are:

1. The windmills are not on an even angle. This would bother me on any stone. The windmills are not perfectly straight. That is enough to turn me away. In my mind a perfect asscher should look like one continuous windmill of equal width. I know we aren''t talking about a RA here but what really bothers me is when the windmills of an asscher just aren''t straight. I don''t know how to better say it.

2. Ok, the outline of the table when you look through the stone should draw your eye into a ''hall of mirrors'' so to speak. When you look at this the first step in that pattern it is hugely out of proportion in my eye; It is just way too big. The steps are uneven and that just really bothers me. Compare this to the one musey posted which is from GOG and a lot more than you are looking to spend and also compare it to the JA diamond I posted above. Huge difference visually in my opinion.
Thank you both for your opinions. I also just watched a bunch of videos on goodoldgold.com. From what you were both saying and looking at those informational videos, I think I have a little better idea of what I''m looking at. But then sometimes I feel like I have no clue. I understand what you are saying about the straight lines and then the table being too large. Their should be more contrasts in the center of the stone than the one that I had shown.

I will continue to look and post. Thank you both so much!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
here is one thing--most asschers have distinctive and often wide shoulders (clipped corners). many "generic" asschers listed are basically square emeralds. this is nowhere on a cert and can vastly influence the price

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
I see that only a couple sites have photos of their stones on line (james allen, and goodoldgold)... Is it normal to ask an online retailer to send pics for 3 or 4 stones? Or do I pretty much have to put a stone on hold and have the retailer get it from the cutter? I asked whiteflash for a photo and they told me it costs ~$65 to have them get the stone take some photos and do some different reports (ie sarin report)

From what I am understanding it is imperative to see an asscher before purchasing, because it is a fancy cut. So is there any easy way to get retailers to send pics? or am i limited to the couple that have the pics online?

Thanks!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
gog will call 2 in for you for free.
if more than one person is looking for that class of stone he will call in more.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Okay, I found this stone on james allen.... I think the girdle might be a little thicker than I want and the depth and table are slightly higher pcts than i wanted... But I''m trying to see how much better my eye is getting (if at all)..

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Premium-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1177024.asp

The angles of the windmills look straight to me... the ''hall of mirrors'' effect seems to be there... I like the windmills a little bit wider, but I think this would be acceptable.

What do you guys think?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 1:31:03 PM
Okay, I found this stone on james allen.... I think the girdle might be a little thicker than I want and the depth and table are slightly higher pcts than i wanted... But I''m trying to see how much better my eye is getting (if at all)..

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Premium-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1177024.asp

The angles of the windmills look straight to me... the ''hall of mirrors'' effect seems to be there... I like the windmills a little bit wider, but I think this would be acceptable.

What do you guys think?

cut is atleast decent, IS would help
Its about $1k overpriced however.
You can do better.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 1:53:05 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 4/17/2009 1:31:03 PM

What do you guys think?

cut is atleast decent, IS would help
Its about $1k overpriced however.
You can do better.
I totally agree. In this pic there isn''t enought contrast for me. The IS would help but I still don''t love it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results