shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are these priced different

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
I decided to take the risk of $65 and order the following diamond to be brought into whiteflash, where they will create some reports on it:

http://www.whiteflash.com/asscher/Asscher-cut-diamond-1992558.htm

I''ve learned it is tough shopping for an asscher, as you can''t just go by the numbers, and you have to really see the diamond. And since there are only a couple of sites that have pictures it creates some hurdles to purchase through other sites. I am crossing my fingers that this stone will be what I am looking for.

They say I will probably have the reports by Tuesday. I will post pictures at that time. Thanks for all your help!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Let us know when you get the pictures, I hope it will be the perfect stone for you.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Here is an attachment of the photo...

I have to say, I am a little disappointed... The lines don''t look straight, windmills are narrow, and doesn''t have that hall of mirrors...

Looks like I''m out $65...

I would like others opinions, though.

Thanks!

picplzhelp.jpg

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Ouch.
Yeah, that asscher looks pretty sad.

Shopping for an asscher is not easy, but it is SO worth it when you find that needle in the haystack.

BTW, again and again I notice a huge supply and demand mismatch here on PS for well-cut asschers.
It is perplexing.
Why don't the cutters just cut good asschers???????????
All they have to do is copy proportions that work.
Is cutting good asschers really that mysterious?

Or, as with rounds, does cutting good asschers polish away more rough per carat of finished goods?
If it does and most buyers are ignorant of what a good asscher looks like that would explain the dearth of well-cut asschers.

If asscher buyers are frustrated, imagine how frustrated asscher vendors must get here.
I've seen so many asscher get rejected here after pics are posted.
Imagine how the vendors feel, many of them PS vendors.
39.gif

They must be kicken themselves.
11.gif

What are they supposed to do with the rejected stones, throw them away?
Clearly they eventually get sold to buyers who don't know any better, and don't seek the PS seal of approval.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
ick... really. I don''t like that one bit. Can you see if WF will work with you to bring in another stone at no cost to you. See if they will work with you.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 5:58:27 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
ick... really. I don''t like that one bit. Can you see if WF will work with you to bring in another stone at no cost to you. See if they will work with you.
I will try and talk with them tomorrow. There is no way I can afford to continue to pay a fee to have them bring in diamonds. It looks like my only options might be to go through james allen or goodoldgold. And right now, there isn''t anything on there that I like... I am sort of between a rock and a hard place, as I would like to make a purchase ASAP.

I really liked the one that you had chosen from James Allen, but it was about 2k too high for what I''m looking for. That ring was 2 ct... If I could find one for 1.75 that looked just like that one for 2k less, I think I''d have a winner.

Thanks for all the input!

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Just got this email from James at Whiteflash:

I see that we have received and e-mailed images of your diamond. It is beautiful!!!!

The shape and performance are spectacular and I highly recommend this diamond.

I will be available tonight until 2am CST if you would like to give me a call to discuss and finalize. If you cannot call tonight, I will be available tomorrow from 9am-6pm CST.

I look forward to speaking with you and finalizing the details of your order.

I''m going to have to go ahead and not recommend Whiteflash to anyone. If he thinks this is a beautiful asscher, then I don''t value his opinion.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 9:27:36 PM
Author: plzhelp

Date: 4/20/2009 5:58:27 PM
I will try and talk with them tomorrow. There is no way I can afford to continue to pay a fee to have them bring in diamonds. It looks like my only options might be to go through james allen or goodoldgold. And right now, there isn''t anything on there that I like... I am sort of between a rock and a hard place, as I would like to make a purchase ASAP.

I really liked the one that you had chosen from James Allen, but it was about 2k too high for what I''m looking for. That ring was 2 ct... If I could find one for 1.75 that looked just like that one for 2k less, I think I''d have a winner.

Thanks for all the input!
I totally hear you and sometimes you just have to wait a bit till a good one pops up. Right now on either of those sites there is nothing that stands out to me.
I worked with ERD and Mark brought in some stones at no cost to us but there was also no question that we were going to buy from him. His price was comparable to JA. If I were you I would call around to all the PS vendors and see what they have access too without having them bought in first. Get some data on the stones, post here and we can help you decide if its worth having it brought in. I''m going to look at JA again for you and see if there is anything else.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I still think you can do better. I''d call JA tomorrow as they have a few stones listed in your price range that don''t have pics. I''d see if they can get them for you.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 10:04:45 PM
This one may be worth taking a second look at: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Premium-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1188078.asp I''d want to see the crown angles and maybe an aset but it looks ok. And I think it fits in your budget.
Thanks EM1!

I do like that one. I am okay with an I but this one looks a little bit yellow compared to some of the other I''s that are out there. Do you think it might just be the lighting of the picture?

I am going to call and see if I can get the pictures of this one:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1203566.asp

The table is slightly larger than the depth... Is that a problem? I think I''ve conceded that a 1.75 would be an adequate size for what I am looking for. So maybe I have some room with some of the dimensions on a 2 ct stone?

Thanks so much for all the assistance!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 9:15:16 AM

Date: 4/20/2009 10:04:45 PM
This one may be worth taking a second look at: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Premium-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1188078.asp I''d want to see the crown angles and maybe an aset but it looks ok. And I think it fits in your budget.
Thanks EM1!

I do like that one. I am okay with an I but this one looks a little bit yellow compared to some of the other I''s that are out there. Do you think it might just be the lighting of the picture?

I am going to call and see if I can get the pictures of this one:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1203566.asp

The table is slightly larger than the depth... Is that a problem? I think I''ve conceded that a 1.75 would be an adequate size for what I am looking for. So maybe I have some room with some of the dimensions on a 2 ct stone?

Thanks so much for all the assistance!
I would ask for more pictures, find out the crown height so STRM can evaluate it. As far as the patterns its the only one I like right now but as I mentioned there are other stones on the ja website that do not have pictures. See if you can get some of those.

Here is the thing with the I... it will probably have some warmer color tones. I would suggest going to a local place to take a look at some I colored asscher''s and emeralds and see if you are ok with it. In the picture its almost impossible to tell what the color tint is coming from. It could be the lighting and it could be a reflection...or it could be the stone. The better the cut on the stone the less likely you are to notice the warmer tones and this one certianly isn''t the best cut that you can get given that it is a little deep. The depth doesn''t bother me so much cause its only slightly under what we normally reccomend however I would want to see the light return on this guy before I agree to buy it. The patterns look ok.

If it were me...I would call around to get some more pics of the stones JA hasn''t posted yet. I''d probably call Mark at ERD, and John at GOG and also see what they have around. This is such a big purchase I would hate to see you settle for a less than your ideal asscher.

Good idea having them call the other one in.

For reference you can do a search on my old posts. Somewhere there is a picture of my stone when it was unset. I have a J and I can tell you that it faces up very white but I do notice the color at certain times. Its not very often and unless someone is looking at diamonds like we do on PS they would probably never notice it. Even if they do, I don''t really care. I''m so in love with the stone that it doesn''t matter to me. If you are bothered by tints in certian lights then I would stick to the G-H range and drop down in carat weight. The problem is if you are in a time crunch and only working with JA then you are going to have to sacrifice something and if it were me I would for sure go with the color.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 4:02:27 PM
I hadn''t looked at J color before, but I plugged it in, just to see what James Allen had, and it came up with this ring:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1191521.asp

I think I really like the cut...and size. What do you guys think?
Its the best one we''ve seen other than the one I posted that is out of your price range. Lets hope Strm comes over and can give you some more advice.

Its facing up a little small for its ct. weight.

plzhelp

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 4:10:53 PM

Date: 4/21/2009 4:02:27 PM
I hadn''t looked at J color before, but I plugged it in, just to see what James Allen had, and it came up with this ring:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1191521.asp

I think I really like the cut...and size. What do you guys think?
Its the best one we''ve seen other than the one I posted that is out of your price range. Lets hope Strm comes over and can give you some more advice.

Its facing up a little small for its ct. weight.
Thanks for the response... I think I''m okay giving up a little size on the ''facing up'' as I am okay with 1.75 or larger. My real concern here is the J-Coloring... on a platinum pave setting is this stone going to look discolored?

I think I was stretching on that last one in my hopes to try and finalize this process.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Like I mentioned earlier. You will have to go to a store and look at some J colored Asschers. The above one is not the best I''ve seen but it looks like the proportions are right so as long at the crown height is on par then you probably won''t notice the color that much at all. I only see a tint on my stone from the side and in direct (on top of stone) sunlight sometimes. I love that cause it is unique to the stone. No one has ever mentioned it to me but most likely they don''t stare at my stone as much as I do. I can''t tell you whether or not it will bother you because some people notice color more than others. I notice it more now because I look at stones ALOT. That doesn''t mean that I don''t like it. Its such a personal thing its hard to say.

My stone is set in platinum and its not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results