shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are people so tolerant of texting and driving?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
fiery|1308608843|2950558 said:
TGal-yes, listen to it and look when you can (like at a stop light, not pm the highway).

I've gotten used to listening because we used them a lot while traveling. Internationally we always had to ask someone ahead of time if the directions made sense and then study it a bit before heading out.

I never rely solely on GPS if I have no idea where I am going. I use mapquest, look at it, and then use GPS after I have some sort of idea. I don't like having zero idea where the thing is taking me. Plus I don't trust them entirely either.

LV, I think that's a good point. I'm in the video business...maybe I should put some "murderer" videos and put them on youtube. :o

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A GPS story made the local papers when 3 women using one ended up miles away from where they wanted to go, drove down a boat ramp in the dark and into a lake. Fortunately, none of them were hurt. Only the Mercedes drowned.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1308598725|2950394 said:
I am terrified by the numbers of people I see texting while driving.

This is one of the reasons why we drive volvo and subaru wagons and also why I obsess about car seat safety. Unfortunately, I cannot control what others do around me, so I do the best I can to protect myself.

I do not text. Ever. As a policy. A while back, I started a thread about texting, and why I hate it. Zombie kids. Freaks me out.

Hope Dream - It is also illegal to text or talk on the cell phone (except for hands-free) in CT, where I live, and in many other states (not sure how many or if all?) in the US. People, however, do it all.the.time, which is what makes it further maddening. I am not aware of any legislation prohibiting the use of an ipod (or similar device), while driving, so that is interesting.

Haven - I love your bumper stickers, but I have to ask you -- do you have a lot of people beeping at you?
Hahaha--No, actually, not many beeps. However, we live in a very Jewish area so maybe that's the reason. :cheeky:
I do get a lot of people who point to my bumper and give me a thumbs up at red lights. I never notice nasty looks about the bumper stickers, but I assume the people they would offend are too distracted to notice them.

weddedbliss

Rough_Rock
I have been rear-ended too by a cell phone user. I ONLY look at the phone while at a red light to see missed calls in case i need to pull over to call someone back (family medical issues). But I absolutely do not handle the phone while driving. I only use the red light method because of family members having medical issues and needing to get ahold of me.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
fiery|1308607610|2950534 said:
You know what else is distracting? GPS.

Fiery, I totally agree. GPS and driving is probably worse than texting and driving because people have to look longer and more frequently. (Also, sorry to hear about your accident--yuck).

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not tolerant at all. My son will sometime call when he is driving home from school and the call will go something like this:

"Hi, Mom, just wanted to let you know I am on the way home. Can't wait to see you guys...Me: ARE YOU TALKING AND DRIVING?????

GET OFF THE PHONE NOW! DO YOU KNOW HOW DANGEROUS THAT IS, NO TALKING AND DRIVING.BYE!

Seriously, the older I get the more I want to yell at drivers to get off the dumb phone. Makes me feel really old and cranky, which
is not a good feeling.

What is just as bad as phones is kids in the car with you. I have only have a couple fender benders ever but they were all because the
kids in the back were distracting with fighting or getting out of their seats or something. But unless you drug them, there is not
really and answer to that problem.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate it too. It's such a dangerous thing to do--NO text message is that important! I wish it were illegal where I live; maybe by the time my son starts driving in 15 years it will be. One can only hope. :sick:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's illegal in my state to text and/or talk on the phone while driving (unless it's handsfree). I'm very glad it's illegal, but i still see people texting and driving all the time!

i do call people sometimes while i'm driving but only handsfree. I don't see much difference between talking to someone handsfree and talking to someone who's in the car with you.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
texting while driving is illegal where I'm at in Michigan. I certainly don't do it, I'm a "both hands on the wheel" kind of driver and can't stand when someone I'm with starts to try to text while driving- makes me soooo nervous.

the GPS thing makes me think of that one allstate "mayhem" commercial, where 'mayhem' is the GPS: "hehehe, RECALCULATING" mwuahahaha. I always thought the commercial was funny, but GPS can obviously be a big distraction

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I am starting to think that driving just might not be for everyone.

When I did still have a license, I was an egregious text-and-driver, among many other bad habits. On top of that, I'm a pretty oblivious person (run into walls) and just generally never should have been licensed in the first place. I let my license expire 6 months ago. A car a big, hulking piece of metal, and the consequences of misuse are COMMONLY deadly! When a friend of mine died in a car accident a couple weeks ago (her fault) I decided for sure that I am done with driving.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
suchende - I am so sorry for your loss :(sad

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Yssie. Unfortunately it's an all too common story: young people, full of promise, dying in car accidents. It amazes me that we all just sort of... accept that.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry about your friend, suchende.

I figure not enough people have died or been seriously injured. Just like they don't put stop signs and stop lights at certain intersections until so many accidents have happened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E

This was a PSA the Welsh government produced.

The only thing I would object to about jamming devices in cars is that often it is the passenger using the phone, not the driver. I'd just like to see bigger penalties.

There was a similar thread on PS a while back and I remember being really shocked that someone wrote something along the lines of lighten up, I mean who hasn't texted while they're driving.

But then, I'm someone who stresses about driving and can almost not have a conversation at the same time with the person next to me.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is bugs the crap out of me too! It is so dangerous! I see people do it on the freeway and at stop lights. I agree I heard it is worse than drunk driving. I agree w/Haven, get over yourself you are not that important to be putting others in danger while driving.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Driving is just serious business to me. I do not condone texting or talking while driving (cellphone-wise), and further, I don't even like to TALK to passengers while driving!

I grew up on a farm. I learned how to drive when I was 13. My parents didn't let me or my brother get our drivers licenses until we were 17, although it was legal to get a license when you were 16 in my state. My parents had witnessed (and by witnessed I mean stopped and rescued) too many teenagers who'd JUST gotten their licenses and wrecked their cars.

Texting while driving was banned when I lived in Chicago a few years ago. I wish it were banned here. I leave my phone in my purse on the passenger seat where I can hear it...if I am expecting a call or text, I can pull over. Nothing is so important that I would risk anyone else's life to read a text or take a call, period.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't use GPS, I can't... it's too distracting. I still print our google maps directions and use those (normally I memorize the freeway parts then pull over at the exit and look at the surface street parts and just memorize them to get me where I am going).

I can't believe people text while driving, but I know it happens. No one TEXTS me important stuff. I just tell people, if it's urgent, don't text it.

Both our cars have blue tooth devices for calls and normally I don't answer mine except for when my husband calls anyway, but the built in blue tooth for our cars is very integrated and is no more distracting than using cruise control (which I don't use but the controls are both on the steering wheel and very easy to use).

I got so irked at work a few weeks ago, with the advent of all this technology you are now EXPECTED to drive and work if you commute. Are you kidding me? My work wanted to know if I need a blue tooth head phone for the car and I was like... right, are you going to pay for my car insurance and my accidents too? I'd love to know how worker comp laws are going to be altered by this expectation.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Around here the worst safety violators are the youngsters...who have grown up with hand-held devices that have almost become a part of their anatomy. At the age of sixteen they all work at getting a licence. Sure, they have been taught that drinking and driving is a big no-no, that seat belts are a must, but from the toddler age we have also taught them that a ringing phone must be answered! That's why the clerk at the shop you are attending will leave you and look after the telephone inquiry. It is reflex to do so.
New legislation was passed here today that will make using hand-held devices while driving, as well as applying makeup, shovelling down food, and any other activity that constitutes "distracted driving" illegal with violators subject to stiff fines. That might apply to messing with a GPS, scouring the floor for a lost compact disc, or fumbling with a road map.
The message is drive it or park it. Fairly simple.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I got rear ended by someone with a "hand held device"--a cigarette. Ashes dropped into his crotch--you get the rest. THAT is hardly a new phenomena.

Holding phones, smoking, applying make up, reading directions, eating, arguing, mothers trying to console screaming babies, Howard Stern: all distractions some not new behaviors. Where does it start--and end?

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results