shape
carat
color
clarity

Wholesaler question re settings info

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Me again, still trying to reset my plain tapered solitaire into a setting with baguettes for my tenth anniversary... an ongoing challenge.

A delicate Stuller with sharp, thin shank was almost everything I said I didn't want, so, having clarified with the shop owner that I wanted (and had said) thicker, wider, more substantial, no tapering, more rounded and comfort fit, with side stones, he's texted me these options tonight.

He wants to order one of these settings and says side stone baguettes can be set into it.
These shanks are closer to what I had in mind, to go with my thick, heavy comfort fit 4mm wedding band. Especially the one without a head. He says about that one:
"Here is a comfort fit very heavy ring shank. All we would need to do is set the head for the center stone. This looks very comfortable "

He's going to order, but given the late hour, he only shared the photos from a wholesaler. I don't think these are Stuller.

I only want to know where to find online so I can look and see the dimensions of these rings, not to find prices. I'm happy to pay the retailer for doing the job.
I had asked for one wide and substantial enough to frame the 1/3 total weight baguettes, leaving some platinum visible around the baguettes, and no tapering.
My old setting was a either a 1.9mm or 2mm 4-prong. I don't want much wider, and certainly not as wide as my 4mm wedding band.

I wondered if anyone knew where to look -- or if these screen captures look familiar, so I can see if there's more info there.

Thanks! 4987107841.jpg
4987117761.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So now he's going to be setting the baguettes into a ready-made band instead of having something cast? Is there any way you can work with a different jeweler? This seems... unadvisable.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is the premier jeweler in town for designing, in fact they do the design that a couple of other jewelers in town take credit for. I took him at his word that they could do what he suggested.

I assumed they know how to alter a setting, maybe that's going down yet another bad path?

Oh, dear.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ah, mystery solved, they were from Stuller online. One is a 2.75mm wide, the open shank is a Solstice heavy platinum that's 2.25mm thick as well -- and 2.75 or 3mm wide, depending on choice.

maybe they are just going to copy the thick style I like or make a mold and/or use the CAD to figure out a baguette setting ...? hmm. It is very difficult to find thicker rings, but I am not a delicate-ring person, so I've sort of saved a bunch of thicker examples. I do not want a taper at the bottom. My wedding bands are heavy comfort fit -- I just wanted the same sort of substantial feel in the e-ring.

Maybe I'll just have the diamond re-set and forgo the side stones. If they allow me to, at this point. THis has been going on since the first week of September. I was trying to beat the holiday rush. My anniversary isn't until January, but kinda wanted it now.

edited to add:
in one of the Solstice threads here, someone who couldn't find the Solstice with pave' was advised by a knowledgable site member to get a Stuller solitaire like this one and have an experienced bench jeweler add pave' to it. So one assumes small baguettes could be set as well...

maybe one day I'll have a new ring to show...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to find out how he plans on making this. The pessimist in me is picturing a Frankenstein ring. Is he planning on gypsy setting the baguettes or will they sit on top of the
Shank like the other ring. You definitely need more details before giving the go ahead. If you didn't have to use this vendor I would tell you to go with David Klass but I guess that bus has lay left the station.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1477048653|4089202 said:
You need to find out how he plans on making this. The pessimist in me is picturing a Frankenstein ring. Is he planning on gypsy setting the baguettes or will they sit on top of the
Shank like the other ring. You definitely need more details before giving the go ahead. If you didn't have to use this vendor I would tell you to go with David Klass but I guess that bus has lay left the station.

Set into.He said "flush" set, I think. Remember, these were .15 each, pretty tiny. That's why the fact that no metal was behind them bugged me. I want to see platinum, I think it sets off diamonds.

I actually have thought over the years that I might want to just change to a Solstice, or a similar thicker, rounded shank...

He said he would order the one without a head, and they'd see about setting side stones, would let me know when it comes in. I'm not going to put up with a Franken-ring, so no stacking on top of anything. This jeweler, well, the original one, has designed and made many pieces for my family and me over 40+years. I guess she sold to concentrate on the artistry, so doesn't have her head & heart in the entire process. She's always been primarily designer and artist, carving in wax, old school. New guy is into the CAD stuff. This isn't just a jewelry store, it's a design outfit with a shop several times bigger than the showroom. I'm hoping it was the transition that caused this little hiccup, because I've never been unsatisfied with anything there.

Now that the stores are consolidated, the new owner seems eager and interested in getting me what I want. I didn't want to go through all of this design stuff right now, ugh. I just wanted a setting ordered and done -- thought the person I'm friendly with would take notes and advise as before. She didn't, so I ended up with the tiny setting that looks so silly next to the much bolder silver stuff I wear. Maybe she's not well...

One of my keywords originally about changing the setting was comfort-fit. Also heavy, thick, more substantial, more like my heavy band. I am not one to box up my ring except during sleep. I don't leave the house much, and I wear my engagement ring from the second I get up until I get in bed. I want one that's not elaborate or fussy, because I wear it in everything I do. I don't want to spend tons on a ring, that's my choice -- husband intended to spend more. I love my 10 year old diamond, my husband and I studied up, here, and bought it at Blue Nile. It's perfect for me. It has a tiny freckle of a feather that lets me identify it readily, it suits my hand. I love it.

Perhaps side stones are folly, for me. He's not doing anything without consultation and approval, though. But this is a challenge for me, because they've moved to a new location & going there isn't easy for me. I have MS and Bell's palsy, and currently having difficulty with those. However -- he said he'd gladly come to my house, no problem. Happy to do it.

Now that they're moved and settled, maybe things will move along with this.

This silver garnet and diamond ring made for me twenty years ago by the designer... She well knows I like bold and substantial!
received_10206728514162642.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it does sound like this new guy wants to please you and is more than just a typical jewelry store. If that is the case, I wish
he would CAD you up the look you are after, let you/us look at it and make changes...approve and then either make it or make
a wax model so you can see if the thickness is going to work for you. Do you know what gypsy set is? Is that what he is planning on
doing?

I tried to find a picture of gypsy set baguettes but couldn't find anything. Here is a picture of a small baguette or emerald (not
sure which) that is gypsy set. The stones are sort of embedded into the metal and usually set fairly flush with the metal.

gypsy_set.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I would post these settings. I know they are not exactly like you are wanting but it might give you some ideas of what you
want and dont want. Helps when you show the jeweler pictures and show them what you want/dont want.

custom-emerald-cut-and-baguette-diamond-engagement-ring-3qtr-101284.jpg

27a2b7debd65fcd7ea9d9f890def2261.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean, maybe he knows what he's doing, but it makes me nervous. Given your disappointment with the previous ring and how much stress it has caused you, I would want to have a CAD and be absolutely 100% sure. When I asked if you could use a different jeweler - you couldn't use someone PSers like such as David Klass or someone? Or are you now locked into this jeweler because of your previous setting?

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1477063141|4089262 said:
I thought I would post these settings. I know they are not exactly like you are wanting but it might give you some ideas of what you
want and dont want. Helps when you show the jeweler pictures and show them what you want/dont want.

Oh believe me, I've shown pictures, well-annotated, until I'm blue in the face. But I showed pics originally before the first order, and original person said that's the setting I would want. I had pics on a tablet, and I've learned not ever to show what you DON'T want, because that'll be the one thing that sticks in their heads! She just was so blasé, but I took that as her knowing my style and what would be what I described. But she took no notes.

The baguette ring above is very cool. i also said at the time that the baguettes might have to be flush to get the look I wanted. Flush, gypsy, whatever. The silver ring above that she made has flush-set side diamonds scattered. She's made my mother two thick bands with scattered stones of different sizes and types set that were set that way, used from broken and old jewelry, the diamond stud my husband wore in his 20s, etc. So I like that type of setting and gave it as an option.

Actually, I did say I didn't want shoulders like the ring you've posted here. No angles, no tapering. Rounded and more substantial, I must've said 1000 times to her. "Wider in order to frame baguettes"...

The last suggestions I sent her new boss or partner or whatever he is to her. So weird to be dealing with someone else, but she really dropped the ball with me. So puzzling, since she knows my style...

Anyway, I told new guy (not new, he's been doing this 12 yrs) that the reflections on either side of the rounded ring with the EC, are where I expected the baguettes to be.

received_10206723267031467.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, well you tried but maybe the first jeweler was more into getting the shop sold then into getting your setting right. :nono:

I think the hard part is that you are asking for something that we dont usually see. Embedded/flush set/gypsy set baguettes in a
rounded shank. The shank needs to be wider (which is what you want). I dont think there is going to be any off the shelf setting
that is going to work. I really think this ring needs to be CAD designed. However, he may be able to take a wider rounded band
and dig out the area to set the baguettes. Not really sure how this is going to look since baguettes have a flat table (I'll be it small
in this size).

Can you draw a picture of what you are trying to accomplish? Just the baguette area? Not sure if you are up to that but might
help us/the jeweler get you what you want.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
E B|1477078142|4089349 said:
N jo, have you considered a different kind of sidestone, one that allows for a thicker, rounder band without needing the sidestones sunk in? Like trapezoids, or even bullets? (Apologies if you already have)

ec_trps.jpg

http://www.diamondmatchmaker.com/catalog/images/products/main_111.jpg

I did discuss that with the previous designer/owner of the jewelry store that was bought out by the new guy. IN the past, she has offered opinions and suggestions, so I trusted her with regard to what was being ordered. She suggested baguettes so as not to take away from my EC diamond. REmember, I don't have the huge huge diamonds most of you have, it's just a tiny little .71 6-something by 4-something mm. So it can easily be overwhelmed. She had suggested one number to order, but again, sent me home to look online, I cannot be in an 80-degree shop, it makes it very difficult to make visits. So we looked in her big settings book, I took a number home to view. It was 1/5 ct total weight baguettes, and I looked for one with more than that, got to the 1/3 semi-set and sent that to her as a suggestion instead, more diamonds but still not taking away from middle stone.

I thought about side emerald cuts, but I wanted something more like...arrows pointing at middle diamond, not the same thing two more times. I still wanted it to focus on the middle. Just wanted a bit of extra iciness there...

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1477061948|4089257 said:
Well, it does sound like this new guy wants to please you and is more than just a typical jewelry store. If that is the case, I wish
he would CAD you up the look you are after, let you/us look at it and make changes...approve and then either make it or make
a wax model so you can see if the thickness is going to work for you.

Timing is part of the problem. In the spring, he bought out my old jeweler (who apparently is going senile, given how she has been behaving) They have been in their separate shops since then, I went into her shop near me to discuss this as I have all previous jobs, but apparently, she only designs now. I've always met with her in her office, always dealt with her, not a counter person or whatever. But if she's not doing consults anymore, she should've told me, I think. Just say "I'm an employee now, I am carving wax, I no longer deal with the customer directly." Because apparently that's how things are being done, given that my dissatisfaction email to her resulted in a phone call from the new guy. But you must tell a longtime customer this, just say I'm not the boss, you'll have to go through him, i'm just a workhorse now.

Anyway, I went in Sept 6 for this, specifically to get it out of the way before they combined shops in a location that's downtown, where I never go. (small city, but I still don't go downtown) Because of the miscommunication, the renovation of his shop to make room for hers in a landmark building -- major renovation -- they are crazy busy. I dropped off the offending new ring about a week before they started their move, left it October 5. SIGH. They are working into the wee hours, posting pics of it all. So on the one hand, I want this resolved. On the other hand, I'm a fair person, I know and I see what they are going through right now, moving equipment and safes and organizing it all, and it's a nightmare. Closed two days to move it last week, but that's not the end of the mess, I'm sure. He texted me the pics at almost 10 pm the other night, fine with me, I'd text all night if they want.

This is not just a jewelry store. IT's a custom design business. The original place started in the cabana of my friendly jeweler's family home. Her father started carving wax and making jewelry there. My first ring from them was lost-wax design, in 1973 and everything was done in his little shop. Once they opened a real storefront, it was about 1/10 showroom and 9/10 shop. They design and make everything. They design and execute for other jewelers in town, and repair, etc.

I took it in to get my diamond out and back. The counter person insisted on getting the boss, who happened to be in the near location that day. He discussed it with me, begged me to give him a chance to make a ring, find a different setting, but of course, MOVING is on their mings, combining operations...old jeweler came wandering up and the three of us discussed what I had said I wanted and he said he wanted to use the CAD, help look for another setting, or if I was not happy with them after seeing them, would re-set into old setting or a new solitaire, whatever I wanted. They said they would come to my house for consults, etc. Yes, I would have approval at each step. It's just that they are too busy to get going on it, at the moment. So at least it's a step forward for him to order a rounded, heavy platinum setting. If nothing else, I wanted that.

But -- of course --the moving, and christening and ribbon-cutting of a new store is happening, too. Obviously, I'm not the only job they have. I see their Facebook posts of the moving and exhaustion. I'm frustrated, but these are people with good reputations, and one of them has made my jewelry over half my life -- and they have my diamond, which I do not want to send off to anyone, and go through all the remote give-and-take, shipping, etc. It's bad enough, as it is.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1477063141|4089262 said:

actually the second setting you posted is one of the example pics I originally showed her, first day. I have many many pics saved in Pinterest or just screenshots...they are pretty much all the same. "This, but more rounded" "this, but not colored stones" "this but not so thin" I did say that I expected what I wanted might have to be set flush (not channel). I didn't want several stones down the sides, though. I didn't want a setting so full of stones that it spread my fingers apart. I always thought I had small hands until I came to Pricescope! I wear a under a 6 on my left hand. I didn't want the shoulders of a ring so studded up that it looked like costume jewelry. Just wanted a ring to wear all day, daily, in all situations, without worry. Over the years, I went through all kinds of designs, and just alwasy came back to side baguettes, knowing I could always bling it up with this halo wrap I have. Obviously, baguettes are slim, the band wasn't going to be WIDE, just wider and might still easily fit into my wrap, but not a requirement because 1) I'd be wearing a new ring without any wraps for quite a while, and 2) the wrap is white gold and could always be altered to fit a wider ring with baguette sides. 27a2b7debd65fcd7ea9d9f890def2261.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a comment that the picture of the ring on your collage that you have labeled "comfort fit" is NOT actually comfort fit - the interior corners are sharp while the outside of the band is rounded. I think you want the inside corners rounded as well if you want comfort fit.

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
distracts|1477161787|4089567 said:
Just a comment that the picture of the ring on your collage that you have labeled "comfort fit" is NOT actually comfort fit - the interior corners are sharp while the outside of the band is rounded. I think you want the inside corners rounded as well if you want comfort fit.

true. this was a conversation with him, and to show the rounded look I wanted, and that I want comfort fit just as the emerald with side stones is what I like, but the shank is sharply cut. Like that but rounded, etc.

I am trying to hammer home the ROUNDED aspect, which was seriously missed the first time...he has also been told comfort fit over and over, but I was showing the rounded look I wanted...

he sent this as an example of what he understands that I wanted. it is actually for a 6 prong head, but there is the same for a four prong "Heavy comfort fit"

4987117761.jpg

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1477148429|4089526 said:
I really think this ring needs to be CAD designed. However, he may be able to take a wider rounded band
and dig out the area to set the baguettes.
I think that's why he sent me the heavy, thick comfort fit shank picture.

tyty333|1477148429|4089526 said:
Not really sure how this is going to look since baguettes have a flat table (I'll be it small
in this size).
Can you draw a picture of what you are trying to accomplish? Just the baguette area? Not sure if you are up to that but might
help us/the jeweler get you what you want.

He said he might employ CAD, I've certainly given him the dimensions of the band I have and how I wanted the new ring to stack next to it. Remember, he has to send a designed ring off to have it made in platinum, since he doesn't work in it. Why don't jewelers work in platinum more? That seems to be something about working in platinum that makes them recoil, not just these two. Maybe because everyone wants gold instead?

I think he is trying to expedite, since I've been waiting since early September.

I was never looking for huge bling. I just wanted a bit of iciness on either side of my EC.

I've given him drawings, photoshopped things, he has the new ring with my diamond in it, my old setting that is thicker than that awful new ring, and instructions about how I needed rounder, smoother feel to it. Comfort is key. I have always said my wedding band feels creamy, it's so smooth. That's why I got another just like it. Heavy, comfort-fit and smooth. I don't want a ring cutting into my finger.

I'm not on the device with the photo editing I'm used to, but picture this band, in platinum, with a baguette set this way on either side of a .71 emerald cut in a 4-prong head. Like the drawing below it, here, that I texted him 2 weeks ago...That would be pretty close to the idea in my head. My old setting was 2mm or less. I fully expected the new one to be 2.5 - 2.75 to support the side stones. I never dreamed, and it didn't look to me as if the band would taper to such a skinny band below the baguette tapering. For one thing, I asked that it NOT do that. It would've been so nice if someone had taken notes or kept the notes and email I sent outlining exactly what I wanted. :wall:

gypsy_set.jpg

photostudio_1475866890391_0.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did your old jeweler not want to do lost wax because she does not work in platinum? Seems like it would have been easy to do
in lost wax and you would have gotten to see what the ring would be like before it was made. Oh well, water under the bridge.

I know you want this over with but please let them take their time (as long as they keep moving) so that you get what you want.
CADs would be great. If he gives you CADs, post them here so we can point out anything that may be questionable since I think
we have a pretty good feel for what you want.

Good luck and keep us posted!

N-jo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1477233175|4089770 said:
Did your old jeweler not want to do lost wax because she does not work in platinum? Seems like it would have been easy to do
in lost wax and you would have gotten to see what the ring would be like before it was made. Oh well, water under the bridge.

I know you want this over with but please let them take their time (as long as they keep moving) so that you get what you want.
CADs would be great. If he gives you CADs, post them here so we can point out anything that may be questionable since I think
we have a pretty good feel for what you want.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I didn't want to go through the process. They are an insanely busy design shop. They design and make masses of rings and keychains and pins and such for awards, for companies, camps, etc. They have a huge repair business.

I only can get out on rare occasions, it's VERY hot in their shop. I will get sick if too hot. I thought, going by the airbrushed illustrations in catalogs online that I could find close to what I wanted, and she could advise how it would work in person. From my view of wholesale info on sites, measurements and dimensions are not always listed, so I counted on her knowing my style. More is more, I said in emails. I said not "dinky.' Take it from 1/5 ctw baguettes to 1/3 ctw for more thickness and more substance right? Wrong.

I'm willing to give the new guy a chance because I've seen intricate things he's made, as well as humorous things like this: anything the customer asks...

I-phone home button set in sterling. They request, he makes it happen. So, nothing to do but wait, exactly what I did not want. Here I am, anyway.

screenshot_20161023-183131.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results