shape
carat
color
clarity

Who wants to see my haul from today?

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Estate sales haven’t started Back up yet where I’m at, I’ll have check to see if maybe there’s some in the near future. That bracelet and mirror is a great find!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@YadaYadaYada oh i forgot that...its an OEC. They’ll price it at something less than $7K and she said there might be some room.
I don’t know how they are having it set but they had another 1 ct OEC they had plopped in a contemporary setting. It wasn’t a good match, IMO.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada oh i forgot that...its an OEC. They’ll price it at something less than $7K and she said there might be some room.
I don’t know how they are having it set but they had another 1 ct OEC they had plopped in a contemporary setting. It wasn’t a good match, IMO.

I was just curious because I had come across a 1.25 OEC at a pawn shop and I think they were asking $4500, setting was awful though.

There might be room, what a laugh that is.....if they priced it at $6500 they fully expect someone to come in there and offer 25% less especially if it's cash. These places crack me up because you know they didn't give the person who pawned it anywhere close to that.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I was just curious because I had come across a 1.25 OEC at a pawn shop and I think they were asking $4500, setting was awful though.

There might be room, what a laugh that is.....if they priced it at $6500 they fully expect someone to come in there and offer 25% less especially if it's cash. These places crack me up because you know they didn't give the person who pawned it anywhere close to that.

Oh I was dying to know what they paid for it but I know they’d never tell. We don’t get a lot of decent looking diamonds that size in our pawn shops.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind, I found a rose cut diamondnin a pawn shop and was feeling bold that day because I told the guy "you're going to make money on this no matter what". They always make out, so the game is to get as much off as you can, you know without being a lowballer and bring cash.

If they are smart they will not turn down cash on the table.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@YadaYadaYada You are such an enabler, lol. I don't mind the negotiating...and it's not like I NEED an OEC (but I kinda do, lol) so I'm very comfortable walking away too. And I haven't even seen it yet. It looked promising on paper..as much as that means for an OEC.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind, well I think owning an OEC is up there with food and water, necessary to life ;-)

Excited to see what you think of it, also ask about the one carat...because why not? Maybe another PS'er will want to rescue that one. Yes I am a terrible enabler especially with someone else's money :)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm still in the car right now with my newest treasure. Yay!
Mason's Ironstone dish. English, 1830-1848
IMG_20200624_140732589.jpg IMG_20200624_152208139.jpg

Also, I scored a FireKing jadeite cereal bowl and a pink branch coral necklace, which is filthy. I can't wait to get home to clean it!
IMG_20200624_153151109.jpg IMG_20200624_153205777.jpg

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Oh the coral necklace is fantastic! The colors are perfect. What a great find!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, Gotta love Goodwill! Nice finds and the coral necklace is right in time for summer.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t have much to show. The pawn store OEC was maybe a weird transitional...very flat and although H color it looked kinda dead. They put it in a ridiculous sparkly setting with matching band. I couldn’t stay long and they were busy so I only had a minute with it....I knew I didn’t love it so didn’t waste their time. I would have liked to have seen it out of that setting.
We’ve had a few cases of COVID pop up in town and it spooked people. DS and I went to a few yard sales but many were canceled.
I came away with a gold filled watch case...the glass was broken when I got it home and opened it. :roll:
Also a string of beads that may be ivory? Or they could be plastic. I’m having trouble telling. My UV light may not be the right kind. The grain is different on each bead and inconsistent. I don’t see any plastic/resin mold lines and it has good weight but the clasp is cheap.
I shouldn’t complain..I paid $1 for both but I can’t believe I got up early, didn’t take a shower and this is it. Lol

Anyone want to chime in on the beads if they could be ivory?

BF45F9C6-5263-4EA7-9EA9-AED23063ABAF.jpeg
3D581235-2129-4D23-B850-72A45D606B9E.jpeg D886C6AE-E473-44E3-AEDD-6961DCADBD4B.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the watch! I have a small collection of ladies pocket/lapel watches.
The necklace looks like faux ivory. Sometimes called French Ivory or Pyralin.
I say this because the Shreger lines are splayed out on the beads instead of being consistent.
This is my ivory strand, see how the lines give way to a crosshatching pattern.
What does your clasp look like?
IMG_20200221_075855787.jpg
IMG_20200221_080719.jpg

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @stracci2000 I do see that now. If I ever find real ivory I may be able to tell the difference easier.

So now I'm down to just the pocket watch case, lol.

But now that I think about it....didn't Hattie Carnegie breed a special elephant and have a string of these exact beads make from the one of a kind tusk?!? That is why they don't look like real ivory. Of course she would use a cheap clasp on a priceless necklace like this. That Hattie..she was such a rascal.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @stracci2000 I do see that now. If I ever find real ivory I may be able to tell the difference easier.

So now I'm down to just the pocket watch case, lol.

But now that I think about it....didn't Hattie Carnegie breed a special elephant and have a string of these exact beads make from the one of a kind tusk?!? That is why they don't look like real ivory. Of course she would use a cheap clasp on a priceless necklace like this. That Hattie..she was such a rascal.

HaaaaaHaaaaaHaaaa!
I think I just found Hatties elephant!
Photos coming right up

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just came back from an estate sale.
I am very certain that the estate people had no idea what these items were, save for the sterling bell, that was clearly marked.

Ivory elephant family. The largest one is 2" high. $1.00
IMG_20200627_141608.jpg
@1ofakind , here you can clearly see the Schreger lines on the top of this one.
IMG_20200627_141233203.jpg

This jug is marked RWSW. I dont know much about crocks, but I had a good feeling about it.
After some research, I found out that it is Red Wing, made 1877-1910. I paid $5.00
IMG_20200627_142037.jpg

Also, I couldn't pass up this Reed and Barton sterling dinner bell! It was only $15.00.
It needs polishing, but I just couldn't wait to share this!
IMG_20200627_144746744.jpg
And here's the best one, a sterling concho belt. Check this out @TheGarnetGirl and @Bluegemz .
It was mixed in with a bunch of men's belts. It is unmarked, but acid tests positive for sterling. I paid $10.00!
I'm pretty excited about it, and now I must go down the concho belt rabbit hole and do some research.
IMG_20200627_141525290.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 wow you had a great day today! Love all those treasures, what do you think is the best find of the day? I have no idea what the ivory elephant family would go for compared to the belt for example.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 wow you had a great day today! Love all those treasures, what do you think is the best find of the day? I have no idea what the ivory elephant family would go for compared to the belt for example.

The pattern on the bell is called Francis I. Yes, I had to look that one up!
Anyway, one is on Ebay right now for $275

The concho belt is the big find. I cant find an exact one online, but similar ones are around $300-600

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pattern on the bell is called Francis I. Yes, I had to look that one up!
Anyway, one is on Ebay right now for $275

The concho belt is the big find. I cant find an exact one online, but similar ones are around $300-600

I was going to say the belt but the elephants I thought might be worth more. In any case you found some great things, these estate sales really are gold mines!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
yes you did have a good day! The little bell is sweet and extra nice job on that belt!

I think I’m going to have to leave town if I want to find anything anytime soon. I may make the drive this week just to scratch the itch.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say the belt but the elephants I thought might be worth more. In any case you found some great things, these estate sales really are gold mines!

Ivory has no value anymore. It is banned worldwide, and for good reason!
You can own it, but you cant sell it.
But it still turns up at sales, and I pick it up, if only to give homage to the poor elephants.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
@stracci2000

I went through some of my mom's old costume jewelry and found this necklace. The lines look like yours, I think. She had no idea if it was real or fake.

. 20200629_181901.jpg

20200629_181909.jpg

20200629_181927.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000

I went through some of my mom's old costume jewelry and found this necklace. The lines look like yours, I think. She had no idea if it was real or fake.

. 20200629_181901.jpg

20200629_181909.jpg

20200629_181927.jpg

Yes, this looks like genuine ivory.
Ivory is easy to recognize once you spot the graining and the crosshatch pattern.
Depending on how the piece is carved, it can be distinct or subtle.
Will you wear it?

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Yes, this looks like genuine ivory.
Ivory is easy to recognize once you spot the graining and the crosshatch pattern.
Depending on how the piece is carved, it can be distinct or subtle.
Will you wear it?

No, I don't think so. It feels even wrong to just have it! My mom has no clue where it came from, but it was mixed in with a bunch of cheap, vintage costume jewelry.

I used to work for a wildlife nonprofit and we had a campaign to raise funds and awareness for African elephant conservation. I even went out to Kenya for 2 weeks and stayed at the elephant research camp. They are extraordinary, beautiful animals. Goes without saying that their tusks shouldn't be anywhere else but with them.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I ventured out a little this week because I’m still on the hunt for a few small antique diamonds. I had a lead that fizzled but there was a nice surprise there anyway...and a few random yard sale stops.
Small finds....a 980 silver rose brooch and a Swarovski abacus brooch.
B41286D5-95DC-44F9-AE7B-0C02EED8DDA3.jpeg
Also a large swung glass vase...I love these and this is 23” tall. And I didn’t have to pay extra for the dead spiders and debris hiding inside. I don’t have a brush long enough to reach in so I may use DH’s BBQ tongues and a sponge. Shhhh....don’t tell him!!! 4776B071-6AC3-494B-903D-6F184CEE381B.jpeg A4879989-B60F-42E7-BAC1-B8FAEB065251.jpeg

Saving the best for last although it doesn’t really count.....these sweet earrings with illusion settings tucked in a buttercup. They were not what I went there looking for so I didn’t get them. I am not a spontaneous shopper usually but after I left DH said he was surprised I didn’t buy them because I obviously like them. Sometimes I just need an extra nudge. I think if they can be converted to dangles that I would wear more than as studs....maybe I’ll call back on Monday and hold them. Sorry for the bad pic. E60C6610-8CAD-4478-92FC-BB6A8E0C08B1.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ventured out a little this week because I’m still on the hunt for a few small antique diamonds. I had a lead that fizzled but there was a nice surprise there anyway...and a few random yard sale stops.
Small finds....a 980 silver rose brooch and a Swarovski abacus brooch.
B41286D5-95DC-44F9-AE7B-0C02EED8DDA3.jpeg
Also a large swung glass vase...I love these and this is 23” tall. And I didn’t have to pay extra for the dead spiders and debris hiding inside. I don’t have a brush long enough to reach in so I may use DH’s BBQ tongues and a sponge. Shhhh....don’t tell him!!! 4776B071-6AC3-494B-903D-6F184CEE381B.jpeg A4879989-B60F-42E7-BAC1-B8FAEB065251.jpeg

Saving the best for last although it doesn’t really count.....these sweet earrings with illusion settings tucked in a buttercup. They were not what I went there looking for so I didn’t get them. I am not a spontaneous shopper usually but after I left DH said he was surprised I didn’t buy them because I obviously like them. Sometimes I just need an extra nudge. I think if they can be converted to dangles that I would wear more than as studs....maybe I’ll call back on Monday and hold them. Sorry for the bad pic. E60C6610-8CAD-4478-92FC-BB6A8E0C08B1.jpeg

Nice finds! I love those earrings. Darn those pesky spiders, they get into everything.
I bought a decorative urn from Goodwill on Friday that came with a live baby black widow living in it!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Nice finds! I love those earrings. Darn those pesky spiders, they get into everything.
I bought a decorative urn from Goodwill on Friday that came with a live baby black widow living in it!

Ack! I haven’t seen one since we lived in TN but there we had a lot of them there. They are beautiful spiders.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind, you found some lovely things, I probably wouldn't have been able to turn down the earrings!

Just curious, do the crystals on the abacus move?

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@1ofakind, you found some lovely things, I probably wouldn't have been able to turn down the earrings!

Just curious, do the crystals on the abacus move?

Yes the little crystals move on the bars. It amuses me.

I may still go back for the earrings. I'm trying to decide if I'll be disappointed if I call on Monday and they are gone. I fall in love with so many things that I don't feel like I need to have...sometimes it's hard for me to tell. It's a strong counter-force to my upbringing by hoarders. Something to keep me in check or I'm afraid I would have it all. Literally.
It's much easier for me to commit to items that I know I will sell later, lol. It's much harder to commit to something to keep.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results