shape
carat
color
clarity

Who isn''t looking for advice on cushion stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been lurking for a while on the cushion-themed message boards, and I can''t begin to tell you how much I''ve learned. My boyfriend and I have an appointment with Mark at ERD on Thursday, but I wanted to ask your opinions about something before we go.

I''ve decided I really want a cushion-cut diamond (either old mine brilliant or cushion brilliant) that''s around a karat, and I''m less picky about color than cut. What I''d like to know is whether I should worry about the depth since we''re planning to put it in a bezel setting? I feel like the bezel will cut down on light coming in from the sides, so should the depth increase? I feel like I understand the four Cs, but depth and table and crown height are a little beyond me right now.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
My best advice: Trust Mark. Tell him what kind of setting you want and he'll steer you toward the best option for you. But generally speaking, the light comes in (mostly) from the top and I can't see a reason that it should need to be any deeper with a bezel....

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
So many people have said that Mark is the person to ask that I''m sure he''ll be a huge help. I guess I''m so excited about getting started that I''m finding little things to obsess about. https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/20.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mark is FANTASTIC. I had no idea when I started talking to him and he has given me such an education. We just got my stone from him a week or so ago and it is amazing. I have had sooooo many compliments on it, even from people with much bigger stones than mine!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2007 8:54:03 PM
Author: darkeyesredshoes
So many people have said that Mark is the person to ask that I''m sure he''ll be a huge help. I guess I''m so excited about getting started that I''m finding little things to obsess about. https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/20.gif

hi darkeyes,

I wouldn''t worry about the depth re: bezelling, and I certainly would not purposely ask for deeper stones, as you would be sacrificing spread for no reason...

The only thing I would think that you would look for with a bezelled cushion is a high crown-- it will give the ring a really nice profile with the crown rising above the bezel into a smallish table... but, that is probably what you should be looking for anyway if you want an OMB/antique cushion brilliant...

I have no doubt you will be just fine since you get to visit Mark in person...

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your help! I''m counting the hours until our appointment. I hope we can find one that''s closer to a 1 ratio, because I tend to like the squarer look. I know that 1.15 is the ideal, but I guess I can''t make up my mind at all until I start to see them in person. We''re hoping to keep the total budget around $4000 (modest by some standards, but I''m a teacher and he''s...a teacher) so I was thinking we''d spend about $3000 on the diamond and then leave the rest for the setting. I think this means we''re looking at a H-J stone, maybe VS2 or SI. I wish Thursday would come faster...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results