shape
carat
color
clarity

Who has a very small dog? Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
LG, I have a sweet, and oh-so-cute mutt. She's a shih tzu mix. Mixed with what is not known...but she might be mixed with bishon because she has the curly hair, and doesn't have the flatter face as most shih tzus do. She is house trained. She'll go outside no problem but since our schedules aren't always the same, we had to be consistent. This is the contraption we have for her in the bathroom. It's called wizdog and it works perfectly. Very clean, very convenient.

Anyway, here's a pic of our pup. I couldn't imagine life without her:

ETA: She weighs approx 8-9 lbs, but looks bigger because she's a little puff ball. When she's soaking wet, she looks like a little rat. LOL. As for health problems, she hasn't had any, thank God.

DSC00736.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
As Lyra said, a BYB can be AKC registered. This is how I would avoid a BYB or Puppy Mill:

1.) There should be a national breed club for any breed you are considering and they tend to be much more scrutinizing than the AKC. Start there.

2.) A breeder should want for you to meet both parents...occasionally the sire may be travelling for a show (I've travelled to shows to meet a sire), but in general they should both be there and the breeder will want you to meet them.

3.) How often does the breeder breed? Most great breeders I know breed 1-2x per year. More is pushing it.

4.) Health clearances. Different breeds have different health issues and you need to make sure that the dogs breeding have their health clearances. Also, all dogs need to see a cardiologist multiple times in the first 9 weeks. Ask the breeder what cardiologist she uses, if the breeder doesn't, it's probably a BYB.

5.) Does the breeder show? I would never consider a breeder who doesn't show--it proves that they are focused on improving the breed. That is incredibly important to me.

6.) Interview many breeders. I interviewed for two years before deciding on Byron's breeder. Even after being a member of our regional club, I spent nearly a year interviewing for Boatswain's breeder. This is a relationship you will have for over a decade and you should be very happy with the relationship. I passed on the breeder who won best of breed at Westminster because while she was a fantastic breeder, we didn't click. You need to click.

7.) A good breeder will have a contract--each contract is different, but it goes over the breeder's role if there is a health issue and states that you can't give the dog away, sell the dog or turn it over to a shelter. This is imporatant because it shows that the breeder is personally responsible for each one of the dogs he/she places. Great breeders are always happy to take a dog back if a situation doesn't work out, they do not want their dogs ending up in a shelter somewhere.

I definitely don't have small dogs (in fact my dogs eat more than 5 lbs. in meat per day, haha), but I know that BYB and puppy mills are even more prevalent in small breeds, so you have to be extra cautious! Good luck!!

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey guys, thanks for all of the guidance. I figure you can probably get the feeling from a website as a first level of caution whether I should even consider buying from them.

What do you think of these two?

1)

http://jamikmaltese.com/puppies.htm

you can see on their photo page they do attend shows... and they have 2 puppies on the puppy page available.

2)

http://www.wskennels.com/id13.html

they have puppies as well. But do you think it is bad they breed more than just Malteses?

Thanks for the help guys, having more eyes and opinions helps in this initial process. I wanted to get some opinions on both of these before I even contact/go and visit them.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
bump for opinions on those two breeders...

also, I have been looking on a maltese forum (SpoiledMaltese.com) and have found some happy owners that got puppies from some other breeders in my area. They seem like a group of members who are very anti-puppy mills, and pro- show quality breeders, so hopefully some of their leads will be helpful
2.gif

A cute little companion to raise and train and love is just what I need right now!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Neither of those breeders looks good to me. Just going to shows is not enough - they should ONLY breed health-tested champions, and they should emphasize that fact. Furthermore, they are HIGHLY unlikely to have puppies available if they are good breeders - you are much more likely to need to go on a waiting list for the puppies.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
thanks AmberGretchen.
What does ''health-tested champions'' mean?
is that a term i should look for on their websites?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
LG - health tested champions means that every dog that is bred will be two things:

1. Certified free of all known genetically-based health issues specific to the breed (that''s the health-tested part). This could include, depending on the breed, hip, eye, elbow or other clearances (if joints, it should be from an organization called the OFA), as well as testing for whatever other diseases are common in the breed. You should do your own research about what these might be, but specific genetic diseases that occur in Maltese include the following:

Retained puppy teeth, cryptorchidism, hydrocephalus, cleft lip and palate, entropion, patellar luxation, deafness

2. Titled in championship shows, preferably AKC shows. This means that the dog has been shown in multiple shows and has won best in breed and/or best in group and/or best in show more than once. Basically, this is the best possible way to know that the dog is a good example of its breed and is free of obvious defects in appearance or temperament. These judges see hundreds, if not thousands of examples of a given breed every year and so they are far more qualified than most to judge a dog''s potential as breeding stock. No championship should = no breeding.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely nix the second breeder--the combination of wanting a deposit, breeding more than one breed and not belonging to a breed club are too many red flags. I think the first breeder is worth interviewing.

ETA: I tend to place as much emphasis on temperament as I do on health, which is why meeting the parents of the litter is so important to me. When I first started interviewing breeders I put all of my emphasis on health, but now I most definitely look at the dog as a whole. Also, knowing what the breeder is trying to achieve with each litter is important--is she breeding for type? For temperament? For size? etc. Great breeders are VERY deliberate about each litter and will be very honest about the faults of both parents.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 10:26:18 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I would definitely nix the second breeder--the combination of wanting a deposit, breeding more than one breed and not belonging to a breed club are too many red flags. I think the first breeder is worth interviewing.

ETA: I tend to place as much emphasis on temperament as I do on health, which is why meeting the parents of the litter is so important to me. When I first started interviewing breeders I put all of my emphasis on health, but now I most definitely look at the dog as a whole. Also, knowing what the breeder is trying to achieve with each litter is important--is she breeding for type? For temperament? For size? etc. Great breeders are VERY deliberate about each litter and will be very honest about the faults of both parents.
Agree with NEL. I see nothing on the 1st breeders site that would scare me away. On the contrary, they recognize that not every pup is show quality and are selling these two as pets with limited registration--I'm sure it is because of the light coloring on the ears, which is acceptable according to breed standard, but definitely won't win shows.

I also like meeting parents, but do not be surprised if the sire is not on site or not even owned by the breeders--this probably means that they tried to find the best possible combination of qualities in the parents and it is rare that someone would own the perfectly matched breeding pair.

Don't be afraid to say no if when you are interviewing something comes up that you question. I would suggest first talking with them on the phone so you are not distracted by the cute balls of puppy fuzz--and nothing is cuter than a Maltese puppy, right?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
threadjacking to say...

NewEnglandLady, I would LOVE to see newer puppy pictures! I bet the growth is incredible, and I think your dogs are gorgeous!
30.gif
30.gif

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Here are some tips from a small dog parent:

1) Nutri-Cal, which can be purchased at PetSmart, is an excellent supplement to prevent hypoglycemic episodes during puppyhood, when small dogs are more prone to them. It has the consistency of toothpaste (creamy, sticky) and dogs love it (my two little ones did as puppies).

2) Nature's Miracle Training Pads have special "go here" pheromones that attract dogs to the pads. After trying several different brands/types without any special scent, I can honestly say that Nature's Miracle is my dogs' favorite brand of pads and the most successful/effective (no accidents). My dogs are trained to go potty on a training pad (since their bladder is tiny and sometimes they can't wait until somebody gets home to take them out) and it works perfectly.

3) Find a vet that specializes or is very familiar with small tiny dogs (toy breeds). This will ensure the best and most accurate medical care for your small dog (you don't ever want to put your puppy on a prescription for a mis-diagnosis).

Good luck on this exciting process!!!
3.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 12:22:33 PM
Author: Miscka
threadjacking to say...

NewEnglandLady, I would LOVE to see newer puppy pictures! I bet the growth is incredible, and I think your dogs are gorgeous!
30.gif
30.gif
Aww, thanks, that''s very sweet!! Today is Bo''s 4-month b-day! He''s going in the show ring for the first time tonight (just a mock show) so I''ll try to get some pictures. I''ve been terrible about bringing my camera with me on our outtings over the past few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results