shape
carat
color
clarity

Who ever heard of it...in search of a smaller diamond

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure Caysie will be delighted if a more beautiful stone fills the center of the ring!

Toni, thank you! I love helping people with jewelry! I think I am more objective with the projects of others than I am of my own! I am on the indecisive side, but that is because I like so many things! I look forward to seeing your diamond choices!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock

@scarsmum Yes...thank you! I saw this and I did contact Grace earlier in the week about a different stone (now too small given the required specs). Not to be a jerk because I've of course never made a purchase like this from Grace but someone just had a bad experience with a purchase from JbG.

I realize everyone's different and having worked with people my entire life, I put complainers and complaints into perspective. With that said, after reading the latest "Show Me The Bling" thread by @diamondseeker2006 regarding her absolute CvB masterpeace, I feel like a kook with my diamond woes :errrr:

Erica is willing to take my stuff on consignment and (hopefully) apply some of its inherent worth towards a better diamond for my CvB ring...Erica seems very willing to help and quite flexible/reasonable.

But I like the JbG stone...it's pretty.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
This is a very pretty stone! Coming late to your thread. Your setting is so beautiful and I know you will find the perfect stone that will make you happy and complete your ring.

Thank you @Bonfire that is very kind to say! I'm getting there!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP have you considered an old cut synthetic (CZ or Moissy)? (We are not allowed to discuss synthetics here on this board but there is a synthetic board on Pricescope you could ask on there.) Or have you considered a colored stone?

I say this because it seems like wearing this exquisite setting is your primary goal. It seems like you are hunting for an old cut diamond with particular dimensions without really knowing what you like in terms of old cuts, without knowing how you respond to the various cuts (Transitional, Old European, Old Mine, Old Mine Cushion) and without knowing your preferences and tolerances for diamond color and clarity. This could be another very expensive mistake if you don’t get it right.

Maybe you do know what you want? The muffin top on the 2.43 carat that you are talking about, do you know what caused the overstuffed spillover look? Can you articulate to a vendor what kind of crown you need in that setting to avoid that look?

You could do a couple things:
1) Find a non-diamond temporary stone to wear in the setting while you take your time educating yourself about what you love in terms of old cuts. An heirloom setting deserves a diamond you also love, right?
2) Put your trust in Erica completely and send her your setting. Erica is also a designer and she has good taste and judgement. Let her find or recommend stones and let her eyeball various stones alongside your setting to determine what diamond will work with that setting aesthetically. Then ask her to video the stones placed loose in the setting. That’s how I would decide on a diamond under these circumstances. I wouldn’t send for a stone without 1) her “blessing” and 2) seeing it via video in the setting.

Best of luck, it’s a gorgeous setting!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to hear what you decided to do!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results