shape
carat
color
clarity

Who else is staying home on V-Day with their SO tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH and I decided just to stay home tomorrow and rent a movie and order pizza from our favorite old Italian guy down the street. Anyone else decide to avoid the crowds at dinner and just stay home?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, we are. The restaurants around our area, raise the prices that are ridiculous. I am going to cook my dear hubby a prime rib. We will build a fire and just hang out together.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are too. Bought a rack of lamb, I''m gonna marinade it tonight, and John is going to grill it tomorrow and roast some small gold potatoes for the side and sauteeing some chard. We''re still debating dessert options.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
We stay in every Valentine's Day. I love the holiday, but after being a hostess in a restaurant, I refuse to eat out on V-Day. I'm planning on making chateaubriand with bernaise sauce and roasted potatoes.

Are you guys dressing up even though you're staying home?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me
35.gif
Kcoursolle, your evening sounds perfect.

We''re going to have a homemade picnic in a park that''s a couple of blocks away for lunch, and we haven''t decided what the rest of the day will be. Dinner and movies at home, I''m sure... K, the pizza idea is growing on me!

We went to one of our favorite restaurants for Vday about three years ago, before either of us was aware of fixed menus and jacked up prices. They had gross "romantic food" (oysters? no thanks!) and none of the usual stuff we love to order there, and at the end of the night, our fixed menu + two glasses of wine (total, not each!) cost us $250
32.gif
No thank you. Pizza sounds absolutely GREAT to me!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
We are also. We had a horrible experience a few years ago going to a fancy place to eat on Vday. It was crowded and the service as well as the food was way off. From then on, we have been hanging out at home. We might go out someplace nice next weekend though.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, we''re doing the exact opposite this year. After being disappointed by a mediocre meal at jacked up prices a few years ago, we took to either staying in by the fire or using what we would have spent on a prix fixe on a weekend getaway instead.

This year however it seems like a lot of restaurants are both hurting and underbooked because of the downturn. We took advantage of a GREAT hotel deal last weekend, and we''ll be giving our business to a local restaurant we love that (1) is not trying to fleece their customers with a stupid "special valentines meal" and (2) probably can use all the help they can get at this time.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
We''re going to let the kid have the tv and playstation in his room for just this one night, get pizza and hot wings, get a movie, drink some wine, and just veg out in one another''s company.
9.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re not doing a thing for Valentine''s Day. It would be nice to go out for dinner or order something in but we need to save $. We''ll make dinner instead, jsut like any other typical night.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
We have a habit of going out either the night before or the night after Valentines, and we''re doing that again this year. Going to a new steak restaurant in our old neighborhood tonight. Tomorrow, I love the idea of staying in and having a nice evening to ourselves.
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We also stay home on V-day. We''ll usually cook filet mignon on the grill.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
We never go out Valentine''s Dinner; hubby usually makes me a heart shaped pizza except this year. We are going out for lunch but he probably will do chicken cordon bleu for dinner and a nice beer or wine.

Kcoursolle, mmmm, to pizza!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 5:49:40 PM
Author: Linda W
Yes, we are. The restaurants around our area, raise the prices that are ridiculous. I am going to cook my dear hubby a prime rib. We will build a fire and just hang out together.
I feel the same way about the restaurants. Some in our area have "special" menus that they advertise, but they are just the same things packaged together for more $$. I also hate the way they rush you on VDay to get their next couple at your table.

Prime rib and a fire sound absolutely romantic!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 5:55:14 PM
Author: Gypsy
We are too. Bought a rack of lamb, I''m gonna marinade it tonight, and John is going to grill it tomorrow and roast some small gold potatoes for the side and sauteeing some chard. We''re still debating dessert options.
Oh my goodness, that sounds delicious!! I love lamb, always one of my favorites, some potatoes, and greens....you can''t be that!! I''m not sure what I''m going to do for dessert either, but I''m probably going to make something. I probably won''t go too overboard though because I don''t want too many leftovers LOL.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
We are staying put too. We think we will just throw some nice steaks on the grill, maybe make some crab cakes, salad, rice pilaf, nice wine.
I''m probably going to make a carrot cake - my favorite.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 5:58:29 PM
Author: Honey228
We stay in every Valentine''s Day. I love the holiday, but after being a hostess in a restaurant, I refuse to eat out on V-Day. I''m planning on making chateaubriand with bernaise sauce and roasted potatoes.

Are you guys dressing up even though you''re staying home?
Another delicious meal, you gals must be wonderful cooks! We probably won''t dress up too much, but I''ll probably wear something a little cute
27.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 5:59:34 PM
Author: musey
Me
35.gif

We''re going to have a homemade picnic in a park that''s a couple of blocks away for lunch, and we haven''t decided what the rest of the day will be. Dinner and movies at home, I''m sure... K, the pizza idea is growing on me!

We went to one of our favorite restaurants for Vday about three years ago, before either of us was aware of fixed menus and jacked up prices. They had gross ''romantic food'' (oysters? no thanks!) and none of the usual stuff we love to order there, and at the end of the night, our fixed menu + two glasses of wine (total, not each!) cost us $250
32.gif
$250, that''s outrageous! I would expect to eat something incredibly special for that price for two!! A picnic in the dark sound wonderful and quite romantic. It''s been raining like crazy over here otherwise I would be tempted to steal your idea!

We don''t eat pizza very often and the place that we go to is fabulous, so for us at least this is a real treat. He makes the best sauce, a bit spicey with nice fresh ingredients.

E B

Ideal_Rock
We'll probably stay in, but I'm not cooking!
3.gif
We'll likely order out, curl up on the couch and watch a movie. That's our favorite kind of 'date' anyway.
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:03:16 PM
Author: steph72276
We are also. We had a horrible experience a few years ago going to a fancy place to eat on Vday. It was crowded and the service as well as the food was way off. From then on, we have been hanging out at home. We might go out someplace nice next weekend though.
Ditto, ditto! We were thinking of maybe going out to dinner on Sunday. Do you think that it will still be problematic then or business as usual?

E B

Ideal_Rock
On second thought, I might whip up some homemade rice krispie treats for dessert. Sexy, huh?
41.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:09:06 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Actually, we''re doing the exact opposite this year. After being disappointed by a mediocre meal at jacked up prices a few years ago, we took to either staying in by the fire or using what we would have spent on a prix fixe on a weekend getaway instead.

This year however it seems like a lot of restaurants are both hurting and underbooked because of the downturn. We took advantage of a GREAT hotel deal last weekend, and we''ll be giving our business to a local restaurant we love that (1) is not trying to fleece their customers with a stupid ''special valentines meal'' and (2) probably can use all the help they can get at this time.
I think you may be on to something there! I bet the hotel deals are fab and restaurants could use the business. I really hope they skip the "special" menus and just give their customers a fabulous meal without rushing them. I''m sure you are going to have a fantastic weekend and it''s great to hear that you found a place that is sipping the "special" menu. Have a great night tomorrow!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:13:34 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
We''re not doing a thing for Valentine''s Day. It would be nice to go out for dinner or order something in but we need to save $. We''ll make dinner instead, jsut like any other typical night.
I know quite a few couples that don''t celebrate VDay and they always have fun. I also know some that have an anti-Vday! Do you think you''ll make a dessert or something fun tomorrow at least?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:17:03 PM
Author: Selkie
We have a habit of going out either the night before or the night after Valentines, and we''re doing that again this year. Going to a new steak restaurant in our old neighborhood tonight. Tomorrow, I love the idea of staying in and having a nice evening to ourselves.
9.gif
Enjoy your steak dinner tonight!! DH and I had a wonderful steak dinner the night we got engaged, so now I always have warm pleasant thoughts whenever I have steak. I think it''s a great idea to go tonight instead of tomorrow and we may do the same thing on Sunday.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:27:36 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
We also stay home on V-day. We''ll usually cook filet mignon on the grill.
mmmmm, filet on the grill sounds divine! Enjoy your evening in tomorrow!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:28:16 PM
Author: Skippy123
We never go out Valentine''s Dinner; hubby usually makes me a heart shaped pizza except this year. We are going out for lunch but he probably will do chicken cordon bleu for dinner and a nice beer or wine.

How clever with the heart pizza, but I''m sure chicken cordon bleu will be a great change of pace too! Thanks for reminding me about the booze by the way!! DH and I are huge beer fans and now I''ll remember to pick some up for tomorrow.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:57:49 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Date: 2/13/2009 6:28:16 PM
Author: Skippy123
We never go out Valentine's Dinner; hubby usually makes me a heart shaped pizza except this year. We are going out for lunch but he probably will do chicken cordon bleu for dinner and a nice beer or wine.

How clever with the heart pizza, but I'm sure chicken cordon bleu will be a great change of pace too! Thanks for reminding me about the booze by the way!! DH and I are huge beer fans and now I'll remember to pick some up for tomorrow.
Yay!! hehe Cheers Kcoursolle
143.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
We are ordering from our favorite Indian restaurant and having some great wine. mmmmmm! ...and my little present should arrive next week!
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
He wants to go out but I just want to stay in and have him make me steak!
18.gif
I''m not sure what we''ll end up doing...the combo of a Saturday and Valentine''s Day makes me dread the thought of going out to dinner.

For the last several years I''ve ended up being in Las Vegas at a trade show on Valentine''s Day, so it will be nice to be with my fiance, even though I''m not a big V Day person.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
We''re staying in and having a family V-day then next weekend dh and I will go out to our favorite restaurant. I am cooking steaks for everyone (the kids love the treat) and we are lucky enough to have some early local strawberries. For dessert I''m going to dip them in chocolate!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 6:44:15 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Date: 2/13/2009 5:59:34 PM
Author: musey
Me
35.gif

We went to one of our favorite restaurants for Vday about three years ago, before either of us was aware of fixed menus and jacked up prices. They had gross ''romantic food'' (oysters? no thanks!) and none of the usual stuff we love to order there, and at the end of the night, our fixed menu + two glasses of wine (total, not each!) cost us $250
32.gif
$250, that''s outrageous! I would expect to eat something incredibly special for that price for two!! A picnic in the dark sound wonderful and quite romantic. It''s been raining like crazy over here otherwise I would be tempted to steal your idea!
Don''t we live in the same town? It''s not supposed to rain tomorrow! Today and every day after tomorrow, but supposedly not tomorrow.

We don''t eat pizza very often and the place that we go to is fabulous, so for us at least this is a real treat. He makes the best sauce, a bit spicey with nice fresh ingredients.
Speaking of living in the same area... care to share this find?
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results