carat
color
clarity

Who do you guys use to make rings?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, a link to the thread when I designed my wife's e-ring:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dk-bgd-custom-setting-the-home-stretch.240843

Looks like I started getting quotes around 5/15/18 (page 1, post #1). Finished pics & videos were sent to me on 6/29/18 (page 9, post #257). Ring actually arrived on 6/30/18 (page 10, post #295).

If you read through, you will notice the design is rather unique. I also think I had more revisions, and emails/conversations/coordination with DK/Amy than the average person. Not to mention two mock ups before it entered final production -- a plastic green version, and a wax purple version.

Looks like I was about 45 days into the process, which seemed like more to be truthful, lol.

I was never asked about payment for CAD's, to hold my place in production or for any other reason. In fact, we only talked money when I asked for the quote and when I received the PayPal invoice after the final pics & videos were emailed to me.

Maybe I just caught them at the right time, or got lucky. I know there was someone on here that was doing a piece that wasn't time sensitive and she told Amy to work on mine ahead of hers because she was invested in the process and wanted to see it done. I'm not sure if that had any bearing or not, but it was uber sweet of her.

All said, DK did a good job for me and treated me right throughout the process and also afterwards when we did her wedding band, and a small prong repair from my wife snagging it on something on her trip to Boston.

Hopefully whoever you decide on will treat you as well, and you can share your success story with all of us. Good luck!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Most jewelry projects I have done - starting from when they received my stone and the first half of my payment, it was usually 2-4 months. Both with local jewelers and the people recommended on PS. That's with the design already finalized - if you have to go over all the details of the design, it could be longer. And for an in-demand maker of hand-forged rings, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was even longer.

If you want a ring fast, you need to pick a stock setting that will fit your stone and can be shipped quickly to the jeweler. If you are going custom... I suppose you might be able to pay more to rush it but the jeweler will have to balance that against the risk of pissing off their other clients who have been waiting already and will now have to wait longer.

Hi Distract!
Yes, i see. thank you for the insight. Im also not super comfortable to leave my stone with the hand fabricator for the entire time....
I want a forged setting...in a reasonable amount of time...must determine what a "reasonable" amount of time would be...
thanks again!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Distract!
Yes, i see. thank you for the insight. Im also not super comfortable to leave my stone with the hand fabricator for the entire time....
I want a forged setting...in a reasonable amount of time...must determine what a "reasonable" amount of time would be...
thanks again!

Obviously you should have a conversation with whoever your select, but I don't think you will have an issue with surrendering the stone for so long. In my case, I bought the stone from BGD in Houston and it remained there until the final week at DK when they actually needed it for setting.

I had it directly shipped from BGD to DK. Upon receipt, DK emailed and confirmed they received the stone. The end of the week I had the completed ring in my hands.

All was easy peasy. I suspect whoever you choose will have the same flexibility. You may need to email them a copy of the certificate for dimensions, etc.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I've been away a few months. I used DK to make my wife's ring and it turned out great! I found calling and talking with Amy via phone & text did much to keep my project moving along, as opposed to relying on email communications only.

I wasn't aware Amy is out. Vacation, or something else?

Also, what happened to David? I hadn't heard this. :(2

I haven't used him, nor do we own any of his work. Looking at pictures, etc I do like his work. However, a thread cropped up a few months back that left a sour taste in my mouth. You'd think the guy would be more tactful on his own website where he is trying to ATTRACT new business.

I imagine if there was a problem and he took that pompous attitude with me, I'd have to factor in a plane ticket, and some bail money from the ass whippin' I'd lay down on him. Probably make him out of budget. :mrgreen2:

https://www.leonmege.com/advice/leon-mege-consumer-feedback

Capture.PNG
Capture22.PNG

Hi sledge!
thank you so so so much for sharing your experience about david klass. Ive only ever read good things about him. Its a pity im looking for hand forge/fabricating. Otherwise, i wouldn't hesitate to contact him. Im sorry to hear he's been injured.

Well, had i read what leon mege has to say about this community, i'd likely not have contacted him. But alas, i did. And if anyone is doing the "shilling" to use his words, it'd be him.
I contacted him by way of his website. A series of questions were posed which i gladly answered.
He replies with an attempt to sell me a diamond with similiar albeit lesser specifications to the diamond I already have. He includes the gia number of the stone he's trying to sell to me. Naturally, im curious and go to look it up at the gia website only to turn up NOTHING. I email him back to thank him for his reply and that i already had my stone and that i was only interested in his setting mounting and even provided his catalog code, and to inform him that the gia number he included was not viable.
He comes back without acknowledging, again, anything i said about the diamond i ALREADY had and just "shoves" the gia cert. at me.

It just struck me as a smarmy Narcissistic tactic. "Just completely disregard and ignore what the client has to say and push whatever agenda onto them and surely they'll get rid of their diamond and buy whatever he's shilling...kind of thing..."

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Klass Jewelry uses numerous benches. Hand forged included. You have to ask for it. Yes, the lead time is longer for this.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Distract!
thanks again!

I think most places it is an option to just send them the dimensions of the stone (GIA cert will have these) and then they can make it and you can either ship your stone to be set when it's ready, or they can ship the setting to you if you have a setter you would like to use. I just haven't ever done that because my stones were unset so it didn't much matter to me whether they waited to be set at my house or at the jeweler.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
If I’m understanding you correctly - you’ve paid 50% deposit to “hold” your place in production time slot. That may happen when someone gets super busy and they have to limit taking on jobs at one time /possibly weed out jobs that the customer can’t/won’t wait, find out who will pay for the pleasure of doing business with them? I’m assuming.

I haven't paid any fabricator anything yet, at this point. I asked 1 fabricator and was told that they'd need 50% to get started. and its Not sako and he and i left it at him needing 2 months. At the moment im speaking to several hand fabricators. I just noted how easy it was to communicate with him and how responsive he is on instagram.

I don’t think that’s what @liaerfbv meant. Guaranteed was said. I’ve had two cast projects done with DK within past couple years that I’m positive were done well within 8 weeks including design/CAD time. Having anyone guarantee a time period is tricky- it’s asking for trouble.

yes, she used the word "guarantee". I certainly did not. Im merely seeking approximate estimates of time needed...

On my current project - I am not in direct contact with the hand fabricator, but no it was never answered. And just as luck has it, I found out just today what the time frame is and it is more than acceptable!

Lucky you! Very Happy for you!

Last but not least and out of curiosity, why would Sako be ones top choice for a plain solitaire, maybe baguettes with no engraving? I’m not saying it’s a bad choice - but doesn’t seem to fit in the ‘like and kind’ of what he posts?
What he excels at?

Please see below:

Hi rfisher,
well, sako isn't neccesarily my first choice. He's one of my choices.
Im in a "leave no stone unturned" type of situation. It's sort of fun to learn along the way...
I understand he does more intricate micro pave and antique/vintage inspired and restoration type
work.
But I really like the idea that he is one of the actual benches at his workshop. He is a fabricator
himself. He's not just passing the work onto his team. So aside from overseeing his workshop he told
me he'd have to find time to do my ring on the side which is why it would take as long as 2 months.
He made it sound like 2 months was long enough for him to work on it while he fullfilled his supervisory
duties.
Hope that makes sense...

Last edited:

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I think most places it is an option to just send them the dimensions of the stone (GIA cert will have these) and then they can make it and you can either ship your stone to be set when it's ready, or they can ship the setting to you if you have a setter you would like to use. I just haven't ever done that because my stones were unset so it didn't much matter to me whether they waited to be set at my house or at the jeweler.

Hi Distracts,
Yes, I was told by one fabricator that the stone would be needed for about 5 days to set. And that they could get started with the gia cert. But sako wanted the stone sent to him to take measurements then he'd send it back to me only for me to send to him for setting into mounting once the ring was completed.
hope that makes sense.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, a link to the thread when I designed my wife's e-ring:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dk-bgd-custom-setting-the-home-stretch.240843

Looks like I started getting quotes around 5/15/18 (page 1, post #1). Finished pics & videos were sent to me on 6/29/18 (page 9, post #257). Ring actually arrived on 6/30/18 (page 10, post #295).

If you read through, you will notice the design is rather unique. I also think I had more revisions, and emails/conversations/coordination with DK/Amy than the average person. Not to mention two mock ups before it entered final production -- a plastic green version, and a wax purple version.

Looks like I was about 45 days into the process, which seemed like more to be truthful, lol.

I was never asked about payment for CAD's, to hold my place in production or for any other reason. In fact, we only talked money when I asked for the quote and when I received the PayPal invoice after the final pics & videos were emailed to me.

Wow, is really all i have to say about that!!!!! What a dream!!!!

Maybe I just caught them at the right time, or got lucky. I know there was someone on here that was doing a piece that wasn't time sensitive and she told Amy to work on mine ahead of hers because she was invested in the process and wanted to see it done. I'm not sure if that had any bearing or not, but it was uber sweet of her.

very very kind of her! you got luck! good for you!!

All said, DK did a good job for me and treated me right throughout the process and also afterwards when we did her wedding band, and a small prong repair from my wife snagging it on something on her trip to Boston.

Sounds like really good people!! I think im going to contact them to see if they can accommodate my project.

Hopefully whoever you decide on will treat you as well, and you can share your success story with all of us. Good luck!

Well, from the sounds of it, you good sir, have been treated very well by david klass. I only hope im as fortunate whomever i end up with.

Tremendous appreciation for your sharing! thank you!!!!

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
I had a similar experience as @sledge with David Klass. I had numerous CAD revisions and back and forth over email and I think timing was roughly the same. From the time I approved CADs, it was pretty short, maybe 2-3 weeks.

I’ve used victor Canera for two bands, one pave and one engraved and they were amazingly quick, roughly 2 weeks.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve used Leon Mege, CVB, BGD, WF (but it was a stock ring) and David Klass.
The best experience I’ve had was with David and I've found his turn around time pretty fast. Once a CAD was approved my ring was ready within two weeks or so. He even provided me with a wax model when I asked for one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results