shape
carat
color
clarity

Who are the top democratic presidential candidates for 2020?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Warren is out.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a little sad Bloomberg is out. I thought he was probably the one who would have been the most likely to be able to hold his own against Trump. Warren dropped out yesterday afternoon. Is it just Biden and Sanders left?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a little sad Bloomberg is out. I thought he was probably the one who would have been the most likely to be able to hold his own against Trump. Warren dropped out yesterday afternoon. Is it just Biden and Sanders left?

I don't think Gabbard has dropped out yet but she won't qualify for the next debate.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure vids etc would be great thank you appreciate your looking up and posting your support for what you say. No point in discussing Bloomberg but my points stand.

I think you are overwrought with Trump's BidenMania! (basically based on the fear that Biden can beat him). We have had revered presidents who forgot a word or misremembered what side his sister and wife were standing on in relation to him, I don't think he will set off a nuclear war due to slight memory glitches, as a voter I weigh these things: do I want a man who creeps his daughter (ugh), a guy who grabs women inappropriately, who says crazy stuff like RBG, and SMS should recuse themselves on his cases (I mean how senile is THAT!). We as Americans must look at both sides, Biden is well known because he was VP for 8 years, Trump is well known now as prez for almost 4 years, so some weighing is old news in my book, Health is fair to weigh, but I cannot discern Trump's health because he never releases anything, he says things like get a flu shot for Covid-19, Trump wouldn't believe Obama was born in Hawaii no matter WHAT was shown him - to me this is either ignorant or senile, his horrible insults to McCain made me stop and really think "is this guy nuts or senile" these kind of things we all must weigh.

I want my president to evaluate etc be a strong leaderand also have a group of advisors who challenge him/her when needed, if Trump had this maybe a lot of the gaffes and mistakes HE made wouldn't be visible.

II think it's incredibly selfish, ignorant and shortsighted to not weigh Trumps past statements. I've disliked Trump since I was a teen in NY, he's incredibly selfish, ignorant, racist and shortsigted and yet he won! imagine that.. I had hoped not to but here I am. Time for me to again do research on his statements over the last 4 years.

We should be discussing the platforms, what Biden's (democratic) platform is stating, I think I have had enough of the republican/TRUMP platform but I will read it again, maybe some type of care of the middle class will show up, doubt it but I can hope.

I'm trying to not turn this topic into a Biden, incompetent, senile, doddering, hate fest.

I am anyone but Trump personally, but I was 4 years ago, I will be tomorrow, but that isn't to say I would be against every republican, I voted for a republican once in my life (he turned out to be a big ahole but I did vote once for a pub). I'm open to my party and the pubs working together, but I've not seen anyone in the republican party do that in almost 12 years now, but I'm open,.

Ummm, I named a few in my post that you quoted. Do you want me to post the videos for you as well to relive those awkward, embarrassing moments? They’re readily available via Google, YouTube, Twitter, etc. if so.

No point in further discussing ‘Big Gulp’ Bloomberg since he is out now. Imagine the actual ‘good’ that $500M could have done in various communities ... but hey, it’s his money and he can flush it down the toilet of his private jet if he wants.

Lastly, I get Joe has a wife, would have advisors, etc., and a strong support network is important, but his wife’s and advisors’ names are not on any ballot, they won’t be signing bills, creating executive orders, etc. Joe’s name is, HE is the candidate, HE is the one to evaluate, HE is the person people would potentially choose in November.

If ‘you’ don’t care/worry about his health and ability to govern, and just want to win, beat Trump, etc., no matter what, by all means ... give him the nod! It’s your party that reaps the benefits and consequences of ‘your’ choice to nominate him. I just think it’s incredibly selfish, ignorant, and short-sighted to not ask these questions and ignore the obvious & legitimate concerns people have about this given his behavior/performance on the campaign trail. And those concerns DO sway votes, otherwise releasing medical records wouldn’t be a thing.

I’m trying to stay on-topic vs turning this thread into yet another Trump-hate-fest ... but FYI to those saying ‘Trump does the same thing...’, you do realize you’re saying that this ‘behavior’ you’re likening between Biden & Trump is actually acceptable to you so long as it’s your guy doing/saying/displaying it. :eh:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing I don't think Biden will win unless millenials come out for him and my son is one and he wanted Bernie or he won't vote. So maybe middle class suburban women and African-Americans may come out for him, not sure. Right now I think Trump is in a very good position to win again. again I say not that I want him but I have to call it as I see it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Biden has a better shot than HRC did in 2016. I think people find him vastly more likable, he’s got the beloved Obama association, and we have seen he has a lot of the support of the older voters, who are the ones most likely to actually get out and vote in November.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'll probably see Obama come out for Biden now that all the others are gone and he's the last real choice. Why not before this though?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Biden is not my favorite. He is the bland fallback compromise choice. I don't think he will do as well on the debate stage. I would like someone more progressive and hopefully more effective. Biden has always had a stutter issue, and that means he also cannot find his words (my daughter had stuttering that she mostly grew out of, but she had the same thing. It's not an intelligence issue). That said, I think he would be a far better president than Trump has been the past 4 years. Because he knows how government works, and he is a fundamentally decent person. I trust that he will not insult and alienate our allies. Nor give sensitive information to our enemies (Russia). He will not idly threaten nuclear war (with North Korea). He will not go through his White House cabinet and staff like a person with diarrhea goes through toilet paper, till all people with competence and moral compass have left. He won't make people swear oaths of loyalty to him. He won't reflexively blame others for his mistakes. Is he ideal? No. Still, better than our current situation.

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think Gabbard has dropped out yet but she won't qualify for the next debate.

Gabbard was in? I must have blinked and missed that.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe because she has like 1 delegate?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gabbard was in?

She dropped off the radar shortly after HIlliary Clinton (exhibiting her enduring talent for being a bitter venom-tongued viper) accused her of being a "Russian asset." Gabbard is suing Clinton and said that the accusation is retribution because she supported Sanders rather than Clinton in 2016.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roll eyes. She is not a viable candidate. But she can stay in as long as she likes, for her own reasons.

voce

Ideal_Rock
She dropped off the radar shortly after HIlliary Clinton (exhibiting her enduring talent for being a bitter venom-tongued viper) accused her of being a "Russian asset." Gabbard is suing Clinton and said that the accusation is retribution because she supported Sanders rather than Clinton in 2016.

Wow, I thought my opinion of Hillary Clinton couldn't sink any lower. The casual arrogance with which she threw this accusation without any evidence makes me stand corrected. I've never heard Clinton praise any female politician who wasn't in her camp or working under her.

If we elect a woman for president, I'd want someone exemplary like Michelle Obama.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we elect a woman for president, I'd want someone exemplary like Michelle Obama.

Why does a woman have to be exemplary given the men we've elected over the years? That's a double standard, for sure!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Why does a woman have to be exemplary given the men we've elected over the years? That's a double standard, for sure!

I don't care about the second, third, fourth woman president elected. I want the first one to be a good role model with unimpeachable character, so no one can think that electing her was a mistake and prevent us from electing more woman presidents.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care about the second, third, fourth woman president elected. I want the first one to be a good role model with unimpeachable character, so no one can think that electing her was a mistake and prevent us from electing more woman presidents.

If Obama is any indication, you can be an exemplary human being with 0 scandals in 8 years of office, and people will still complain about you. My personal favorite is when Trump supporters complain about Obama supposedly diminishing the US' standing in the world, but they say nothing about what Trump has been doing to our reputation.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe because she has like 1 delegate?

She has two, from American Samoa where she was born.

I'm sorry that Warren never gained much traction. I would have LOVED to see her in a debate with Trump! That said, I don't think debates matter all that much. People on opposite sides watch the same debate and think their guy won.

Warren had my (and my husband's) vote on Tuesday. I don't agree with all of her plans/policies but I think she is smart, driven and genuine. I'm glad she's in the Senate.

voce

Ideal_Rock
If Obama is any indication, you can be an exemplary human being with 0 scandals in 8 years of office, and people will still complain about you. My personal favorite is when Trump supporters complain about Obama supposedly diminishing the US' standing in the world, but they say nothing about what Trump has been doing to our reputation.

I agree with what you're saying. In my opinion, the US' diminished standing in the world has everything to do with the financial crisis and nothing to do with Obama. The guys who caused the financial crisis are likely rooting for Trump because they share the characteristics of greed and risk-taking for the prospect of personal profit.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How I wish this had been for Warren. Obviously people are not ready to elect a capable, well-educated, well-spoken woman.

She hasn't endorsed anyone yet, which is very strange. I'm wondering if she's speaking with the Biden team. I could see them offering her the VP in exchange for an endorsement. I would love that. I'd rather have Biden than Sanders.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to say there is NOT bad blood between Tulsi and Hillary, but it is more than that. Tulsi can choose to sue anyone she wants, for any amount of money she wants (good luck). but the facts are Tulsi is running as a Democrat, but acting like a Russia asset to disrupt this election. Something she has no control over: Russia propaganda, both mainstream media and bots pushing her and her (ironically often Russian-aligned) positions.

Things under her control. In the last election endorsed Sanders even though she shares no platform policy agreement with him (why?) She met with Assad and defended the dictator, putting her at odds with mainstream US foreign policy. That alone made her a pariah. She defended Trump withdrawing from Sytria, which allowed our allies the Kurds to get slaughtered, and Turkey and Russia taking our place.
She is cozy with Trump. met with his team (supposedly in talks to work with him). She also hired a political advisor Christopher Cooper who has ties to both Trump and the Kremlin.

So I have no idea what the hell is going on with her. She has really dubious groups promoting her. Either she is incredibly naive and is being used by some bad folks, or has really bad judgment.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
@partgypsy in my book, cozy with Trump is a blacker mark than defending Assad and supporting our troops withdrawing from Syria.

I am against mainstream US policy regarding Syria because our family friends, who are immigrants from Syria, support Assad. Do you realize that the people who want to overthrow Assad were the first to use violence? According to our friends, fundamental Islamists started taking the law into their own hands, persecuting Christians and other religious minorities, rejecting the authority of the legal system and government. Anything Assad has done in return was as punishment for the violent crimes fundamentalists committed against minorities that were clearly contrary to the secular law, so it's not as though this is a clear-cut issue and that Assad is a devil while the other side are all angels. If our well educated Christian Syrian friends feel safer with Assad in power and wholeheartedly support him, I'm not about to start rooting for him to be deposed, as he has been protecting some minorities from fundamentalists only respecting Islam, who are agitating with violence to overthrow any secular government over there.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to say there is NOT bad blood between Tulsi and Hillary, but it is more than that. Tulsi can choose to sue anyone she wants, for any amount of money she wants (good luck). but the facts are Tulsi is running as a Democrat, but acting like a Russia asset to disrupt this election. Something she has no control over: Russia propaganda, both mainstream media and bots pushing her and her (ironically often Russian-aligned) positions.

Things under her control. In the last election endorsed Sanders even though she shares no platform policy agreement with him (why?) She met with Assad and defended the dictator, putting her at odds with mainstream US foreign policy. That alone made her a pariah. She defended Trump withdrawing from Sytria, which allowed our allies the Kurds to get slaughtered, and Turkey and Russia taking our place.
She is cozy with Trump. met with his team (supposedly in talks to work with him). She also hired a political advisor Christopher Cooper who has ties to both Trump and the Kremlin.

So I have no idea what the hell is going on with her. She has really dubious groups promoting her. Either she is incredibly naive and is being used by some bad folks, or has really bad judgment.

She also did not vote to impeach Trump.

voce

Ideal_Rock
She also did not vote to impeach Trump.

Ok, I see your point. She should definitely not be running as a Democrat.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
We'll probably see Obama come out for Biden now that all the others are gone and he's the last real choice. Why not before this though?

He said at the beginning that he would support the nominee but wasn't going to weigh in on the primaries.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

He said at the beginning that he would support the nominee but wasn't going to weigh in on the primaries.

... a very honorable plan from a very honorable man.
Obama let democracy work by letting American citizens choose their candidate, instead of following tRump's gang mentality.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, I thought my opinion of Hillary Clinton couldn't sink any lower. The casual arrogance with which she threw this accusation without any evidence makes me stand corrected. I've never heard Clinton praise any female politician who wasn't in her camp or working under her.

Actually, it was a kind of meandering word salad in which she seemed to say Gabbard was being groomed to be a Russian asset, not that she was one. There's a difference. One is within her control, one isn't.

Since Gabbard was polling at somewhere around 2% at the time, she's going to have a pretty tough time asserting damages.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results