shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiter stone

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a couple photos. I was able to get some color in the last one but that’s not a typical look.

7752FDAE-5826-46F5-82F0-A1274437891C.jpeg 1A125DB4-D8E5-48E2-BB86-D38773AE2FF2.jpeg 0980055B-92B7-482E-B271-0B78052CC906.jpeg D02979FF-BE87-431C-86F8-985599AE922B.jpeg C751812A-C0D7-4D84-A946-8ACAB20BDDC5.jpeg

Seeing color is totally dependent on lighting, positioning of the stone, and knowing where to take the photo. Soemtimes a stone is reflecting the colors you have on. In natural daylight outside, stones should look white. I've been able to get some colors by having light behind the stone. I really can't explain it and it is not something I really try to do. My avatar picture shows some colors, but 99% of the time, that is not how diamonds look! So don't let unrealistic ideas cause doubt about your stone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! I placed a deposit on the 2.5 H VS1 ACA.

When I found Pricescope, my dream specs were a 2.5 H mrb! I've gone for size over color twice now and realize that the other specs are important to me. G-d forbid this is my last upgrade, I would rather leave DD with a 2.5 H VS1 ACA over a 2.88 J SI1.

I reserve the right to keep upgrading like a good PSer tho! Thanks for all the help. :)

Where have I been?! Great decision! :appl: I am kind of relieved because I was starting to convince myself into thinking I needed that stone if you didn't buy it! :lol: And I have banned myself from buying any more unless I sell one, so I hope I can stick to that!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@diamondsR4eVR Honestly, I was shocked I captured those photos because I also experience what you were saying... I will SEE in person a beautiful image emanating from my diamond but when I try to capture it with my iphone it never translates. The color of my BGD is H, negligible FL. The color of my 3X is E with faint FL. I have been having a good time comparing my new super ideal to my 3X and they are so very, very close to one another as I compare them in different lighting settings. There is a wee very minute slight difference that only a PSer would even notice. I keep comparing and they are so very, very close. Facets sharper on the BGD, as one would expect. But the performance is so almost the same I have been shocked. The BGD perhaps a minute bit better but it is also a lot larger, so everything is going to seem "more". But I keep holding them side by side in different rooms, different lighting, different weather outdoors and it's very, very close. I will say that I most definitely can see the color difference. But as far as performance is concerned, I am very happy to now have the knowledge that my 3X is actually a very nice stone! I was afraid I would never want to wear my 3X again after getting the BGD recut stone but, surprisingly, I feel drawn to wearing my 3X and I think it is about its E color which I guess tells me I made the right choice when I got that stone. I am very eager to get the other recut from BGD back... that is an approx 2.17ct (8.44mm) VS2, G with med blue FL. It got delayed at the factory and now AGS is closed so it's going to be awhile before I see it. It will be set as a solitaire pendant. I am very curious to see how it compares with regard to color to the other stones.

I have been wondering about how your 3X compared to your BGD! I remember your past threads about your 3X and how conflicted you were. I am so happy to hear that this affirms your decision to get that 3X E stone! Very good news!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have been wondering about how your 3X compared to your BGD! I remember your past threads about your 3X and how conflicted you were. I am so happy to hear that this affirms your decision to get that 3X E stone! Very good news!

Thank you so much!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Where have I been?! Great decision! :appl: I am kind of relieved because I was starting to convince myself into thinking I needed that stone if you didn't buy it! :lol: And I have banned myself from buying any more unless I sell one, so I hope I can stick to that!

@diamondseeker2006, your post made me "ha!" out loud. It was the one stone I didn't want to let go but you know me and size. I'll tag you in the event I want bigger so you can have first dibs. :lol:

Hope all is well at home!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006, your post made me "ha!" out loud. It was the one stone I didn't want to let go but you know me and size. I'll tag you in the event I want bigger so you can have first dibs. :lol:

Hope all is well at home!

:lol: Please don't tempt me! We are well stocked with food and stay home most of the time! The weather is starting to be beautiful here, so it's at least possible to sit on the deck or take a walk. I cannot complain considering the fact that many are suffering. I hope your family stays well, too!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had been second-guessing myself for a year, being pissed off at my jeweler, at the GIA lol, at my husband, at myself for not making the right choice. But now I have made piece with it because it never gets old for me to see the E color, and it’s not easy to find a good 2ct in an E, I’ve scoured online listings for a year now and I think I recall @sledge mentioning it on a couple occasions but don’t quote me, and now that I have my super ideal to compare it to I feel so much better about it. But it’s a lot of money, it’s not like a top that you decide next season you didn’t really like or end up wearing much and it goes in the donation bag... it’s a big decision, regardless of your budget!!! And there’s no way my husband would’ve ever agreed to me getting a super ideal in a 2ct E color! Having my inherited stones is what made the recuts possible. But now that I have them my husband is slowly accepting the grim reality lol that the studs I’m going to get will be super ideals. Obviously the pandemic is going to push this out farther but I guess it will give him more time to accept the reality. But at least now he can see for himself what the precision cutting is all about.

Just my 2 cents but color is such a personal decision.

My wife's stone is a little less than a carat, H color and super ideal BGD cut. In the right light we see tint. Other times it seems very white. As others have said, the surroundings matter along with the type of light, the angle you are to the light, the distance from the light, etc, etc. In case I wasn't clear....surroundings and LIGHT SOURCE matter greatly!

If money were no obstacle, I would personally only buy D color as I really prefer that icy white and so does my wife. Unfortunately, my money tree hasn't taken root yet despite my nurturing personality. :lol:

With all that said, I think the reason @headlight tagged me was to comment on color related to ideal cut quality. First, I want to be very clear that regardless of the cut, a stone will be a D, H or J color as graded by the lab. The color doesn't magically morph into a higher grade because of the cut quality.

Equally important is that consumers realize color grades are RANGES. This means, you can have high, low or medium colors. If it so happens that H is someone's cut off for seeing color, this means a low H (near I) may be displeasing to them, but a high H (near G) might be acceptable. The trick is finding the "cut off point". In person viewing in a plethora of surroundings and light environments is the best way to help you find your own tolerance.

However, when a stone does have an ideal cut, then light enters, reflects around and exits the stone in the most efficient manner possible providing edge to edge light performance. As a result, this can make an ideal cut stone look bigger and brighter/whiter, when compared to a poorly cut stone. Again, the color is still the same but the light return efficiency is maximized and you see some benefits of it.

Obviously when comparing stones of more similar cut quality, then this difference lessens. Here is a video example that I primarily like to use to show how cut quality effects size, as the well cut stone is exhibiting edge to edge light return so it looks "bigger" despite there being barely any difference. FYI, in this video, Garry is comparing a poorly cut stone to a well cut stone, so the differences are very noticeable.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@sledge thank you for your time in writing that post! The reason I tagged you in that post was because I thought I recalled a couple of times in the past that you had mentioned that it is hard to find E color in a 2 ct and SI that are decently cut, "clean" SIs, and with FL no higher than faint. So my point was that I felt resolved that I got one of the good ones within those parameters as i've scoured listings for over a year now and haven't seen much better. Plus, I have the added preference for me in a small table and high crown, a profile I prefer.
You and I, I believe, had also had engaged in "conversations" regarding the cut quality and how it would compare and I was just coming full circle to say that now, having the BGD to have something to compare to, I have the confidence in knowing that my "questionable" 3x is "on par" in performance with the BGD which know will seem unbelievable to people here. PSers who would scrutinize close-up in person would be the only ones that would notice the difference in sharpness of the facets. And as for flashes, I have hurt my eyes trying to see if there is a difference. The quantity is the same, just the "style" is different... but the stones are different in sizes and also in the "type" of the stone as far as table and crown height, so I think that plays a role in just their "personalities". And the E is brighter. There is no getting around it. I keep WANTING the super ideal H to be as bright as the 3x E, but it is not. So I keep feeling myself more drawn to wanting to wear the 3x! And, as you may recall, this is my 3x with the 63 (62.9 lol) depth! And also of the angles that have been discussed so often here of the 35/40.8 that can either work or be a dud. Another thing that is also been really fascinating to me is that it seems that the recut stone is not as bright as it was before the recut. While it now has beautiful arrows and razor sharp flashes, it is darker. I think that is something that is really interesting. Also, my 3x has more scintillation that the super ideal. It's been a great opportunity to have the 2 to compare, especially given that my 3x is of the stats that we see so often in the 3x's that are not favored here. I'm eager to see how the other recut stone will appear visually but given AGS is closed and everything else with production, etc., I will not have it back for some time. @sledge thanks, again, for your input, always appreciation when you weigh in on topics.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I enjoy hearing about your in depth comparisons regarding your 3X and super ideal stone.

I’ve said before I compared my ACA studs to my 3X ER and the difference is minimal imo. I’m sure you experts would see more differences. The one thing is noticeable in my ACA studs is that the sharp arrows I see more easily.

@sledge thank you for your time in writing that post! The reason I tagged you in that post was because I thought I recalled a couple of times in the past that you had mentioned that it is hard to find E color in a 2 ct and SI that are decently cut, "clean" SIs, and with FL no higher than faint. So my point was that I felt resolved that I got one of the good ones within those parameters as i've scoured listings for over a year now and haven't seen much better. Plus, I have the added preference for me in a small table and high crown, a profile I prefer.
You and I, I believe, had also had engaged in "conversations" regarding the cut quality and how it would compare and I was just coming full circle to say that now, having the BGD to have something to compare to, I have the confidence in knowing that my "questionable" 3x is "on par" in performance with the BGD which know will seem unbelievable to people here. PSers who would scrutinize close-up in person would be the only ones that would notice the difference in sharpness of the facets. And as for flashes, I have hurt my eyes trying to see if there is a difference. The quantity is the same, just the "style" is different... but the stones are different in sizes and also in the "type" of the stone as far as table and crown height, so I think that plays a role in just their "personalities". And the E is brighter. There is no getting around it. I keep WANTING the super ideal H to be as bright as the 3x E, but it is not. So I keep feeling myself more drawn to wanting to wear the 3x! And, as you may recall, this is my 3x with the 63 (62.9 lol) depth! And also of the angles that have been discussed so often here of the 35/40.8 that can either work or be a dud. Another thing that is also been really fascinating to me is that it seems that the recut stone is not as bright as it was before the recut. While it now has beautiful arrows and razor sharp flashes, it is darker. I think that is something that is really interesting. Also, my 3x has more scintillation that the super ideal. It's been a great opportunity to have the 2 to compare, especially given that my 3x is of the stats that we see so often in the 3x's that are not favored here. I'm eager to see how the other recut stone will appear visually but given AGS is closed and everything else with production, etc., I will not have it back for some time. @sledge thanks, again, for your input, always appreciation when you weigh in on topics.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I enjoy hearing about your in depth comparisons regarding your 3X and super ideal stone.

I’ve said before I compared my ACA studs to my 3X ER and the difference is minimal imo. I’m sure you experts would see more differences. The one thing is noticeable in my ACA studs is that the sharp arrows I see more easily.

Exactly!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And it looks gorgeous!!!

kah42

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful! I hope this is the one that makes your heart sing :)

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I hope this is the one that makes your heart sing :)

So sweet of you to say, thank you! Will report back when she arrives. :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooohh, you did it! It really looks beautiful! I can't wait to hear what you think - when will it arrive?????

I was wondering if you had made a decision but I didn't want to ask. I am so very excited for you!!!

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Oh yay!! It looks great! Do you still have the j to compare it to?

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow looks gorgeous!!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh yay!! It looks great! Do you still have the j to compare it to?

No, I traded in the 2.88 J SI1 for the 2.5 H VS1!
Ooohh, you did it! It really looks beautiful! I can't wait to hear what you think - when will it arrive?????

I was wondering if you had made a decision but I didn't want to ask. I am so very excited for you!!!

Thank you! It arrives tomorrow! :)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Yay! That's so exciting! Looks lovely, can't wait to see it on your hand!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! I hope this stone is everything you wanted and more.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
it would be interesting to see how you like the H colored stone. I have just received mine and have mixed feelings about it. I wonder if it is worth paying $4,000 for a G color (mine is similar size as yours.) Sometimes I see the tint or a yellowish hue and other times I don't and I can't help but wonder if a G color would diminish the yellowish hue or that one color grad would be visible to the naked eye.

Last edited:

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I went from a J to my current H and have been very happy with the color, no regrets. I hope the H works for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results