shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiter stone

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
P.S. I so glad you found the ring! That sounds exactly like something I would've done!

Thanks, I felt a surge of panic at the thought of a squirrel grabbing it while I looked away! I had my toddler help look for it as she yelled, “Oh, no! Mommy lost her diamond ring!”

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's so odd... I know some say if you have white metal for prongs, the color of the band shouldn't matter. Is it only happening when you are wearing the e-ring along with the other bands? Maybe that is where it is picking up the color???

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have pics of the profile? (that would give us a better idea about the tint.)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I just feel so bad you want through all that to change diamonds and now you see warmth where you didn't previously.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I had a J and i couldnt deal either, so i feel your pain. I would try the I, bc i can tolerate an I (i have I color now and love it!). Mine is a high I tho, can you ask whiteflash to do a line up of the stones so you can compare?
Edit: i just clicked over and saw the pics of you wearing the ring....it is stunning and looks very white! As others said make sure its not picking up warmth from lighting (my I does this, as does my F and G stones).

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just feel so bad you want through all that to change diamonds and now you see warmth where you didn't previously.

Oh, I saw warmth in the K. Here’s a picture of the J in front of white printer paper in the dreaded bathroom lights. I know it’s also picking up the color from the rose gold shank and my skin.

483F02C8-59FE-43E4-8288-5E31590547E7.jpeg

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Indoor pic. Warmth^100! 78CF368B-EF93-4536-BEB5-0336471E98F4.jpeg

It’s doing it!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If this helps, the printer paper doesn't look white... so maybe it is your lighting and not your diamond!
The mounting is perfection!
With regard to making a change, if you decide to, yes... all these things may be on hold for a time until businesses can get up and running again. I want the stone in my avatar to be reset and it's making me crazy but I know I am going to have to just get used to the idea that I can't "instantaneously" just make it happen right now during this unprecedented time we are in.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Indoor pic. Warmth^100! 78CF368B-EF93-4536-BEB5-0336471E98F4.jpeg

I think it is lighting because from my screen, the prongs look like they are rose gold, not a white meta! It's definitely the indoor lighting.
My avatar ring looks good in most lighting except for our master bedroom which is a bummer but I don't think my husband took too kindly to my suggestion to redo all the lighting lol!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s what I see indoors. My skin is warm, the setting’s warm, the stone is warm and the lighting is blah.

What lightbulbs did you use? My husband would rather install a couple of lightbulbs than do another 4 figure upgrade!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
That’s what I see indoors. My skin is warm, the setting’s warm, the stone is warm and the lighting is blah.

What lightbulbs did you use? My husband would rather install a couple of lightbulbs than do another 4 figure upgrade!

Ha ha... no, we didn't change lighting... but you make a good point! All my diamond's shortcomings are revealed in that crappy lighting :(

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m sure Home Depot will know. Whatever THEY use because their and Costco’s lighting is fantastic!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So much of what you see in a diamond is reflection from its surroundings and lighting plays a huge role in that. When it looks white outdoors and yet looks yellow in certain indoor lighting, that tells you that it is being influenced by its environment. I am just not sure that a diamond will look bright white all the time - regardless of its body color. It is disappointing I know but diamonds are just doing their job of being a reflector - like a mirror - of its surroundings. A J is a J even though there can be ranges in a color grade. It would seem to me that omitting as much body color as possible would make a difference but I doubt that you will totally negate the effect. Hopefully you can speak to someone at WF today to help sort this out for you. Hugs - I am sorry that you are so bummed about your new ring!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TweetyBird23 your new ring is beautiful and the rose gold looks lovely on you. That said, if you are not happy with the color and it bothers you every time you look at it, especially after having it for only about 2mins, don’t try to make yourself love it. I don’t think that will happen. If you are able to, my advice would be to order the 2.8 I and compare them in person before resetting again. That’s what I did a while back and to me it was obvious that I preferred an I color vs a J. It’s pretty much the reason I won’t be upgrading in the near future. I think you also owe yourself to “try” an I before moving further down in size and up in color, because you might be content with an I, but you do what’s best for you.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash was able to provide this comparison but my rep won't be able to evaluate them in person this week. Things are way too chaotic right now. I will not be sending in my ring this week given the current state of events.
View attachment 742303 0.jpg

Attachments

• 0-1.jpg
    0-1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The face up picture definitely shows the difference between H and I. So the big factor is, is there enough difference in your J and that 2.8 I to make it worth changing, or do you need to go with H? Those H stones look a lot whiter.

Oh and halogen bulbs make diamonds sparkle more. I can't say whether they help color, but they definitely make diamonds look their best and are often what the big stores use.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think you should go H and put this to rest. You just made one color upgrade... if you are going to go through this again (and drag your husband through it lol), just go for it and do the H.
I am obviously very color sensitive but even my newly recut BGD H color 2.31 is too tinted for me. When I first received it 10 days ago, when I unpacked the box, my husband (who doesn’t know crap about diamonds) immediately said, “I can see the tint”. I didn’t see it. I thought it was maybe a little more “colored” than my 3x E 2.01. I had been thinking, “Wow, I totally see how these super ideals are with masking the color”, but then today we went for a “social isolation walk” lol and dropped in to a Blenders (we stayed on the blue line for separation!), and I looked at the ring and was like holy cow, this is tinted! So I’m rambling, but 2 points: 1. I see how the precision faceting of a super ideal can “mask” the color, but the color is still there, the precision cutting does not “cut away” the color, it merely acts as a distraction. 2. I’ve noticed how, in spite of how much the super ideals here on PS are touted that one can go lower in color because super ideals are “brighter”, one has to also take note at how many people here with super ideals go I/J/K and end up changing to a higher color grade, and not just once, but more than once, as in your situation. So my point is if you are going to go through this again, go for it so you don’t have to have that sinking feeling when you look down at your hand.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thoughts?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should go H and put this to rest. You just made one color upgrade... if you are going to go through this again (and drag your husband through it lol), just go for it and do the H.
I am obviously very color sensitive but even my newly recut BGD H color 2.31 is too tinted for me. When I first received it 10 days ago, when I unpacked the box, my husband (who doesn’t know crap about diamonds) immediately said, “I can see the tint”. I didn’t see it. I thought it was maybe a little more “colored” than my 3x E 2.01. I had been thinking, “Wow, I totally see how these super ideals are with masking the color”, but then today we went for a “social isolation walk” lol and dropped in to a Blenders (we stayed on the blue line for separation!), and I looked at the ring and was like holy cow, this is tinted! So I’m rambling, but 2 points: 1. I see how the precision faceting of a super ideal can “mask” the color, but the color is still there, the precision cutting does not “cut away” the color, it merely acts as a distraction. 2. I’ve noticed how, in spite of how much the super ideals here on PS are touted that one can go lower in color because super ideals are “brighter”, one has to also take note at how many people here with super ideals go I/J/K and end up changing to a higher color grade, and not just once, but more than once, as in your situation. So my point is if you are going to go through this again, go for it so you don’t have to have that sinking feeling when you look down at your hand.

This (the highlighted part) is very well put. It has happened to me when I put too much hope into the cut to cover an I color of my diamond and, in the end, it did not. The tint was there and, since I like to look at my diamonds from all sides, including profile, I saw it. Most vendors emphasize how I, J, K colors...etc face up white (and they do) but I never really cared for that... I care for the overall color of my diamond. Thus, for me, it must be an H minimum, even G.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly prefer the 2.56 but it just depends on how much that extra size is worth to you.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer the 2.56 too! Why do you like it better?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you can swing the G, I would say do it. Of course, right now is definitely an uncertain time with regard to the economy and finances so, if your household is anything like mine, we are sort of on a spending moratorium, hence this might not be the right time to push the limits on the color... in which case I say go H for sure and then down the road if the H is still not doing it for you go to G at that point.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thoughts?

Any thoughts or preference between these two? WF is comparing them although I wouldn’t ship anything until things settle down. @ac117 @diamondseeker2006 @mrs-b @SimoneDi

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You didn’t ask me, but do you want a smaller table? The 55 appeals to me but it doesn’t to everyone. Also, how are you with going SI v VS, “mentally” speaking?

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
The face up picture definitely shows the difference between H and I. So the big factor is, is there enough difference in your J and that 2.8 I to make it worth changing, or do you need to go with H? Those H stones look a lot whiter.

Oh and halogen bulbs make diamonds sparkle more. I can't say whether they help color, but they definitely make diamonds look their best and are often what the big stores use.

Not surprisingly, I agree with DS 100% on this. These Hs definitely look whiter in the face up photo. I am super color sensitive and my I is sometimes too much, just not enough to give up the sentimental aspect or the size. If I had already changed my stone from the original, whether by accident or choice, I'd probably go H.

That said, I do love my I. It's an ACA and it's gorgeous. My avatar pic was in super warm afternoon sun where even my D looked tinted. And was it DS who said in this post? The larger table on mine (57.5%) IMO makes it brighter. I had an I with a 54% as my first ring in my first marriage and I had to trade it. There was no living with it.

Lighting makes a HUGE difference. In my powder room is the most at odds with my I that I ever am. It has warm bulbs in a gold fixture. In my halogen kitchen lighting my Is (all three are Is) are literally blinding. Seriously. My eyes hurt if I look at my ring too long, haha.

My I was originally in a rose gold solitaire with platinum prongs. I go back and forth over what I think looked whiter. I loved both iterations. Choosing three Is in my three stone was a very smart move, though. It makes the color look more normal? Gosh, that isn't the word, but no stone stands out as tinted.

Go with what will make you happy. In your gut you know.;-)

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like small tables, @headlight. At these prices and coming from a 2.9 K, I am thinking heirloom quality. A 2.5 H VS1 would be a helluva stone to pass on to my daughter. Then again, she could be a size gal like her mama!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think both are fine. The 55.9 is really close to 56, so I wouldn't eliminate it. I'd have them take that same face up photo like the others. See if one is whiter than the other since a borderline G-H is going to look whiter than an H-I. And if you are paying for a color upgrade, I'd want a mid to high H.

(I'll say for myself, I'd choose H VS1 because I think that size would be big enough for me and I like high clarity, too. But honestly, for someone who wants size, the other is a good deal.)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And just as a footnote to my earlier post, the VS1 clarity of course adds to the visual appeal as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results