shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash Diamond Mix-Up

I have just received WF ACA stone that I have been waiting for a while. 2.527ct I, VS1 and it was a perfection. Then I checked the stone up close and started seeing feather/needles and it made me a bit uneasy. I prefer clarity over color and am willing to pay premium for VS1 so that is why I felt uneasy about seeing inclusions. Then I checked the AGS certificate and saw that it says 2.572 I, SI1. SI1? So I called WF and told them about the wrong certificate sent, questioning my stone as well. They assured me that the stone is mine, just the certificate got mixed up. They added that three people had checked the stone and there was no way that three people would make the mistake. Well, I checked the stone myself with my microscope and the numbers did not match. It turned out, it was not, indeed, my stone. So I called WF again and they confirmed that they have my purchased stone and that I received the wrong stone. I was shocked and in disbelief (I was going to drive to David Klass to have it set tomorrow), so I am glad I caught the mistake before. It was, however, the same size and same color, so I can see how one could make a mistake. I just did not think that three people would. I also took so many pics and videos of "my" stone, all excited - so excited. It did not feel all that great to delete them all knowing it is not my stone.

The reason I am writing is that I would like to ask @Texas Leaguer if he could check my stone himself to make sure that the correct one will be sent to me. I do not have any other way to contact him except this forum and wanted to do so before WF sends out the stone.

I also want to add that I am not writing this to criticize WF. I do believe it was an honest mistake and Vera was very apologetic and responsive. She sent me a prepaid label to ship the wrong stone back to them and they will be sending my stone once they receive the wrong one. I do believe WF will take care of me and their mistake but I wish their QC would improve. I already shipped the wrong stone back to WF.

Lastly, I want to mention that WF was very generous because they agreed to take my CBI stone for a trade-in and I am grateful for it. I was going to do (and will do) a reveal once this all gets sorted out because I received an excellent assistance from WF when I was picking my stone.

Last edited:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Sharp eyes! Good for you for following your gut and I am glad it is going to be resolved! Can't wait until you get your real diamond, and can't wait to see what you do with it!

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
I’m sorry about the disappointment and initial shock! Good thing you triple-checked, even if I’m sure WF also would have noticed and let you know as well once you flagged the concerns! As other PSers have said, trust but verify.

Very excited for you and your DK reset!

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Good catch @daisygrl ! Sorry to hear about the mix up. Glad it will be rectified asap. I am excited for you!

I was wondering, you had a vs2 h, were you able to see the inclusions in that stone or do you just prefer a higher clarity for mind clean reasons?
Can't wait to see your new ring!

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Good on you for being a smart shopper! Everyone should own a loupe.

It's a great lesson for sellers (or any business). Don't ever say there's no way you've made a mistake. It'll come back to bite you on the caboose for sure.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, good catch @daisygrl ! I'm sure WF is more than petrified this happened. I hope Texas Leaguer does get back to you
with reassurance on the next stone being sent out to you.

Please do post pics when you get your stone. I'm sure its going to be lovely!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Eeeeek, I am so sorry. I would be really upset if I were you. Being told that its definitely your stone only to realize it isnt sounds awful. I'm glad they are making this right, but I would also be upset.

I was, too. Mortified. I spent whole morning taking pics and videos of the stone, sending them to my husband (who was at work at that time) only to tell him to delete them all because it is a wrong stone. :wall:I loved his response, though, "You have one more stone to look forward." Lol.

hnhn

Rough_Rock
Honest mistake???!!!
SI certificate matches stone while you paid for VS1 one?!
Price you paid for VS1 to SI is very very very different !
I do not believe that is honest mistake!!!
Three of them can't read???
I would fire all of them !!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lastly, I want to mention that WF was very generous because they agreed to take my CBI stone for a trade-in and I am grateful for it. I was going to do (and will do) a reveal once this all gets sorted out because I received an excellent assistance from WF when I was picking my stone.
That's very interesting...:read:

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry! It makes me want to check my ACA studs since I never have…

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good grief. That is beyond terrible.

SO glad you thought to check your stone @daisygrl. How awful it would have been to have had the wrong stone set!! Even if WF had paid all costs to get the right stone over to you and have a brand new mount made... That’s your time and your confidence. Time and confidence are priceless.

The fact that they assured you it was the right stone multiple times is what makes this “beyond terrible”. @daisygrl I’m glad to hear that they were quick to begin remediation and I hope you now get *your* diamond quickly and effortlessly. And even if you intended otherwise, your post has every right to be criticizing - generosity does not excuse repetitive carelessness; I would be livid.

Thanks for the reminder to double check all our stones, from all vendors. Never hurts to be cautious.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SO glad you thought to check your stone @daisygrl. How awful it would have been to have had the wrong stone set!! Even if WF had paid all costs to get the right stone over to you and have a brand new mount made... That’s your time and your confidence. Time and confidence are priceless.

The fact that they assured you it was the right stone multiple times is what makes this “beyond terrible”. @daisygrl I’m glad to hear that they were quick to begin remediation and I hope you now get *your* diamond quickly and effortlessly. And even if you intended otherwise, your post has every right to be criticizing - generosity does not excuse repetitive carelessness; I would be livid.

Thanks for the reminder to double check all our stones, from all vendors. Never hurts to be cautious.
I think the bolded is what would make me the most angry. Being assured multiple times that it's "definitely" your stone only to realize it isn't is unacceptable.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock

Well stated!

Last edited:

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I have just received WF ACA stone that I have been waiting for a while. 2.527ct I, VS1 and it was a perfection. Then I checked the stone up close and started seeing feather/needles and it made me a bit uneasy. I prefer clarity over color and am willing to pay premium for VS1 so that is why I felt uneasy about seeing inclusions. Then I checked the AGS certificate and saw that it says 2.572 I, SI1. SI1? So I called WF and told them about the wrong certificate sent, questioning my stone as well. They assured me that the stone is mine, just the certificate got mixed up. They added that three people had checked the stone and there was no way that three people would make the mistake. Well, I checked the stone myself with my microscope and the numbers did not match. It turned out, it was not, indeed, my stone. So I called WF again and they confirmed that they have my purchased stone and that I received the wrong stone. I was shocked and in disbelief (I was going to drive to David Klass to have it set tomorrow), so I am glad I caught the mistake before. It was, however, the same size and same color, so I can see how one could make a mistake. I just did not think that three people would. I also took so many pics and videos of "my" stone, all excited - so excited. It did not feel all that great to delete them all knowing it is not my stone.

The reason I am writing is that I would like to ask @Texas Leaguer if he could check my stone himself to make sure that the correct one will be sent to me. I do not have any other way to contact him except this forum and wanted to do so before WF sends out the stone.

I also want to add that I am not writing this to criticize WF. I do believe it was an honest mistake and Vera was very apologetic and responsive. She sent me a prepaid label to ship the wrong stone back to them and they will be sending my stone once they receive the wrong one. I do believe WF will take care of me and their mistake but I wish their QC would improve. I already shipped the wrong stone back to WF.

So sorry this has happened to you. Hope going forward everything works out well for you and you receive exceptional customer service! Also, hope you are thrilled with your new stone. I am interested in how it worked for you trading your CBI?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry this has happened to you. Hope going forward everything works out well for you and you receive exceptional customer service! Also, hope you are thrilled with your new stone. I am interested in how it worked for you trading your CBI?

Thank you. I was planning on explaining the trade-in once I would do the reveal on the finished product. I will do so once everything gets sorted out as it is an interesting subject (for me, at least).

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. I was planning on explaining the trade-in once I would do the reveal on the finished product. I will do so once everything gets sorted out as it is an interesting subject (for me, at least).

You are very welcome. Clearly Whiteflash dropped the ball in this instance. What if someone wasn’t as diligent as you were in checking their stone, scary.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
You are very welcome. Clearly Whiteflash dropped the ball in this instance. What if someone wasn’t as diligent as you were in checking their stone, scary.

I was telling my husband the same thing. What if people did not know much about diamonds and just trusted WF? I want to believe that the mistake would have to show up in WF inventory at some point and they would come forward. I reminded my husband the times he laughed when I bought a diamond and immediately pulled out my microscope. He is not laughing now.

Last edited:

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is mind boggling that 3 professional WF employees did not catch that the description on your invoice and the diamond pulled was not the same. AND especially since there were two stones that had the same carat weight and color someone should have identify that it was the wrong diamond pulled from their inventory noting that the clarity - VS1 was the one you purchased. Well, it is good that you did doubled check and took matters in your hands and let them know..

Things do happen, but I think on WF side the reps could have first verified on their end if they had the VS1 stone after speaking with you and then corresponding back to you about their error.

-C4C

This is actually a really scary prospect. It scares me to think that if you hadn’t pushed this mistake wouldn’t have come to light. Would it have, actually? I don’t know how online vendors work. This is completely unacceptable - QC should definitely include checking the order summary against the certificate and the girdle inscription! Thank God you were vigilant and checked!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My expectation is that the setter would have checked the stone prior to mounting to confirm it matched the expectations the client set - and of course it wouldn’t have in this case! All settings vendors I have ever worked with do this before they set a stone.

And I imagine that at that point the discovery that a stone worth $xx,xxx was not as described would have created absolute pandemonium!

This is actually a really scary prospect. It scares me to think that if you hadn’t pushed this mistake wouldn’t have come to light. Would it have, actually? I don’t know how online vendors work. This is completely unacceptable - QC should definitely include checking the order summary against the certificate and the girdle inscription! Thank God you were vigilant and checked!!

theshirlgirlNS

Rough_Rock
I'm a big fan of WF based on my limited but very positive experiences with them so far. However, given the promotion of their ISO certification, I'd expect a better QC process. Checking the girdle inscription to the certificate seems the most basic of steps - how could three jewelry professionals not catch this error? Not to mention, OP was alerted just by looking at the stone and noticing inclusions that should not have been there. Three experienced professionals missed that on a supposed VS1 stone?

I'm sure WF will make this right and hopefully use this as an opportunity to improve their QC to ensure it doesn't happen again. I've always said, the real test of any vendor is not how they act when things go right, but how they act when things go wrong (we are all human!).

Hoping someone at WF is quadruple checking my new ACA before I receive it! :bigsmile:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
It is mind boggling that 3 professional WF employees did not catch that the description on your invoice and the diamond pulled was not the same. AND especially since there were two stones that had the same carat weight and color someone should have identify that it was the wrong diamond pulled from their inventory noting that the clarity - VS1 was the one you purchased. Well, it is good that you did doubled check and took matters in your hands and let them know..

Things do happen, but I think on WF side the reps could have first verified on their end if they had the VS1 stone after speaking with you and then corresponding back to you about their error.

-C4C

Agree with all of this.

@daisygrl I applaud the patience and restraint you've shown here.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@daisygrl,

We are so very sorry for the mistake, but also extremely appreciative of your careful inspection and alerting us to the error so that it could be rectified without further issue.

This is a very unusual situation where the stones were very similar in quality, exactly the same weights, and with report numbers (inscriptions) that also looked almost identical.

Your diamond: AGS-104114140001 2.572 ct I VS1

Shipped stone: AGS-104114114001 2.572 ct I SI1

The error managed to escape multiple levels of QC. Since the diamond was shipping loose, the weight was verified at shipping. This apparently led to a less than rigorous reading of the inscription, which is always a fundamental part of final QC. An unfortunate case of human error.

Our inventory controls would have caught the error in a reasonably short time, but the problem could have been compounded by then. So we were very fortunate that you were so on top of it.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
@daisygrl,

We are so very sorry for the mistake, but also extremely appreciative of your careful inspection and alerting us to the error so that it could be rectified without further issue.

This is a very unusual situation where the stones were very similar in quality, exactly the same weights, and with report numbers (inscriptions) that also looked almost identical.

Your diamond: AGS-104114140001 2.572 ct I VS1

Shipped stone: AGS-104114114001 2.572 ct I SI1

The error managed to escape multiple levels of QC. Since the diamond was shipping loose, the weight was verified at shipping. This apparently led to a less than rigorous reading of the inscription, which is always a fundamental part of final QC. An unfortunate case of human error.

Our inventory controls would have caught the error in a reasonably short time, but the problem could have been compounded by then. So we were very fortunate that you were so on top of it.

Thank you, Bryan, for your response and integrity to admit the error. I saw that WF have received the wrong stone so I look forward to receiving my originally purchased stone very soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results