shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Whiteflash A Cut Above 1.558ct K VS2 Engagement Ring

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
Just picked this up from FedEx today and was soooo excited to bring it home and see how Whiteflash did. Honestly I was a bit nervous this last week and second guessed my choice to go down to a K color, thinking that I might be disappointed with the ring when it arrived. As I waited for the ring to be delivered, I shopped online for acceptable backup stones I or higher, trying to maximize size while keeping the cost of the stone $9k-ish or lower.

My concerns abated shortly after I opened the ring box and saw the diamond: bright, very sparkly, and bigger than I was expecting. I did notice warmth in the stone (present in the side shots included) but I don't mind it--I got a ring I absolutely love for less than I was expecting to pay! The stone also faces up very white to me. After putting the ring on my finger and checking it out under a few different light sources, I felt that I had really maxed out the value for my budget with a gorgeous, ideal-cut, super-sparkly diamond.

Ultimately, I think I might have saved myself some anxiety by spending more time at a B&M comparing color grades. I only saw a single J, K, and L when my boyfriend and I went ring shopping. However, in light of COVID, I did feel a little conflicted about going to a B&M store just to check out color grades when I was fairly certain I would be purchasing a stone online. I also considered asking my WF SA to take some comparison pics of the K I selected against some Is and Js, but I felt that it wouldn't be akin to seeing the stone in person. So I decided I was ok with taking a chance and ordering the ring to see if I liked it, given WF's generous return policy.

A huge thank you to PSers for sharing your knowledge, advice, and beautiful jewelry pictures. I leaned particularly heavily on reviews by those who purchased warmer-colored diamonds to feel as confident as I could about my selection. I also want to say that picking this ring out was an enjoyable experience, and I appreciate that I was able to reference so many thoughtful opinions to help me find what I ultimately wanted.
IMG_20200914_190946.jpg IMG_20200914_190844.jpg IMG_20200914_184910.jpg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful and sizable too on your lovely fingers!

P

Petalouda

Beautiful ring! Congrats!!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous, and love the setting. Congratulations!

I have to say I am glad you were NOT able to go B&M shopping to look at the various colour grades. The diamonds from there are often not certificated or certificated from a more dubious company. A K may have been an L or M or so. Also it's unlikely you would have found such a well cut diamond, and it is the cut that makes it seem so white and bright from the top down view. I worry if you had done that before getting this stone you may not have ended up with such an amazing ring at all, and if you had done it after buying, potentially your anxiety about it would have been increased....

Congratulations again and feel free to spam us with a zillion photos!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, simple elegance. Wear it in good health, always.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! it's really beautiful! You've selected a cut that is second to none! I love you setting! it's so tasteful and elegant. It's fantastic on your hand! I adore how you've paired it with a rich gold setting! Well done!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ACA and it looks perfect on your hand!! Congrats!

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Love the setting too!!

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous diamond and setting!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ❤️

Kh0117

Rough_Rock
Beautiful ring! You're making me reconsider a K.

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
beautiful!! congrats! this k color does not show any color at all to me... it's still pretty white!

Thank you! It faces up very white to me
It's gorgeous, and love the setting. Congratulations!

I have to say I am glad you were NOT able to go B&M shopping to look at the various colour grades. The diamonds from there are often not certificated or certificated from a more dubious company. A K may have been an L or M or so. Also it's unlikely you would have found such a well cut diamond, and it is the cut that makes it seem so white and bright from the top down view. I worry if you had done that before getting this stone you may not have ended up with such an amazing ring at all, and if you had done it after buying, potentially your anxiety about it would have been increased....

Congratulations again and feel free to spam us with a zillion photos!

That is a great point, and I did not consider that! I tried to do what research I could online to assess whether the color would be bothersome for me, but ultimately I am glad that I went for it because I am delighted with the stone in hand. I'm a bit of an over-analyzer, so I needed to remind myself that I should just make the best decision I could from my computer and know that I could try again if I wasn't completely happy with the outcome :)

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous! Classic and absolutely lovely on you.

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone for all of the nice comments! I will post some additional pictures later today (the ring is back in the box until BF proposes--I had a hard time returning it to him as I momentarily forgot that it was not yet mine to keep). In case it will be helpful, full specs on the stone are as follows:

Measurements: 7.43mm x 7.47mm x 4.6mm
Depth61.7%
Table54.9%
Crown Angle 34.6%
Star 50.0%
Pavilion Angle 40.7%
Crown 15.5%
Lower Girdle 78.0%

The setting is a size 5 yellow gold Legato Sleek Line solitaire with a white gold head (stock WF setting). I was a little unsure of whether the setting would be too wide on my finger because of the 2.5mm width (I think the trend these days is thinner, daintier settings) but to me the proportions are very balanced between the stone and my finger, and I love the flattering taper toward the head.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice piece! And the setting will allow it to catch and throw light in all kinds of setting. Enjoy it!

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
A couple more shots, with the last two showing (I think) the most warmth. Aside from the shot in the ring box, which was taken indoors at night, these are all taken during the late afternoon "golden hour" in my sunroom.

I hope this will be helpful in the future for someone shopping for a warmer-colored diamond. I know I scoured PS and the rest of the internet for good shots of K-colored stones but at the end of the day the best advice I saw was to figure out what's important to YOU and to go for it!

IMG_20200914_182414.jpg IMG_20200914_215955.jpg IMG_20200914_190821.jpg IMG_20200914_184555.jpg IMG_20200914_182310.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200914_184434.jpg
    IMG_20200914_184434.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 62

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! So glad you are pleased with the color. Love the setting too!

Edit...can I ask what size you wear?

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous! So glad you are pleased with the color. Love the setting too!

Edit...can I ask what size you wear?

Thanks! The ring is a size 5 and I suspect I may be closer to a 4.75 on my left ring finger--the hand shots were taken on my left and right hands.

dmack

Shiny_Rock

The setting is a size 5 yellow gold Legato Sleek Line solitaire with a white gold head (stock WF setting). I was a little unsure of whether the setting would be too wide on my finger because of the 2.5mm width (I think the trend these days is thinner, daintier settings) but to me the proportions are very balanced between the stone and my finger, and I love the flattering taper toward the head.

Agree on the band width. The taper is elegant but the 2.5mm width is completely proportional to the size of the stone AND will probably help keep the stone balanced (vs. spinning) on your finger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results