shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash 6 prong vs 8 prong stud settings - your opinion?

Which stud settings would you choose?

• Total voters

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve found a matching 1.26ct diamond pair for a potential upgrade (Yay!) and am now debating between Whiteflash’s 6-prong vs 8-prong settings. My current pair are in bezels, so it’s difficult for me to discern which way to go. So, I would love to hear everyone’s opinion on why they went 6 vs 8 or vice versa.

Aside from my concern that 8 prongs might be a bit too much metal covering the stones, I would like to make certain they sit closely to the ear. I have another pair in basket settings and find they stick out just a little too much for my liking. I’m also curious why there’s such a price difference. For reference, here are the settings:

https://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/6-prong-martini-earrings-2313.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/8-prong-martini-diamond-earrings-1548.htm

Thanks in advance! :wavey:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the 6 prong for that size diamond. They will be beautiful in either though!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe it’s just the photos, but the 8 prongs look smaller and more delicate, so that would be my choice.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the 8 prong and love them. I chose them solely because they were cheaper settings for my small diamonds (.33ct each).

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Appreciate all the feedback so far. Had a chance to chat with Magen at WF and she suggested the 6-prong would look more delicate since it has fewer prongs. While my wallet would appreciate going 8-prong and this isn’t likely to be my last upgrade, my eyes seem to lean towards the 6-prong.

The other thing to consider is the production timeframe is longer for the 6-prong - about double. My current pair are my daily wear, and by that I mean I wear them 24/7. So, I’ll need to go without my staple studs and have naked ears for about 3 weeks. What a horror of a thought. :lol-2:

Decisions, decisions....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough decision. Initially I thought 6 prong for that size diamond as that is delicate and just a lovely setting but I really love an 8 prong setting generally and in the photo you shared the 8 prong looks so gorgeous. Either way it will be beautiful and you have to go with what your preferences are...

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I never tire of looking through your remarkably beautiful collection @m-2-b! My studs aspire to be like yours when they grow up. :lol:

I’m grateful for the collective wisdom that has weighed in here. At this point, I’ve requested the 6-prong, but I’m still on the fence. So, I reserve the right to change my mind!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just throwing in another option for you--these are my old WG 4 prong basket studs:

4-Prong-Diamond-Basket-Earrings-in-14k-White-Gold-by-Whiteflash_41215_18914_f.jpg !

BFftw

Rough_Rock
Premium
When I first started staring at studs I loved the 6-prong, it's so gorgeous. It's totally my first choice The 8 is really beautiful too. I don't think you can go wrong with these choices! Guess it's just a question of how long you think you'll be with this size? Excited to see!

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I *hate* the look of the 8 prong....it overwhelms the diamond and looks cluttered.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ears1.jpg ears2.jpg ears3.jpg

thought I'd share mine, in case you're interested. These are about .33ct each. I don't think the prongs overwhelm the diamonds at all

They sure don’t overwhelm your beautiful stones at all. Perfection :love:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ears1.jpg ears2.jpg ears3.jpg

thought I'd share mine, in case you're interested. These are about .33ct each. I don't think the prongs overwhelm the diamonds at all

They’re absolutely gorgeous! This is so helpful to see - I had scoured the studs thread (all 48 pages!) and couldn’t find a photo that gave a clear enough perspective. I’m now vacillating back towards the 8-prong. lol

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I first started staring at studs I loved the 6-prong, it's so gorgeous. It's totally my first choice The 8 is really beautiful too. I don't think you can go wrong with these choices! Guess it's just a question of how long you think you'll be with this size? Excited to see!

How long I’ll have this pair before upgrading again is definitely weighing heavy on me too. I can’t help but think if it’s short, those funds could have theoretically gone towards the stones. So yea, I’m the crazy person that can’t help but calculate things like cost per wear. :nono:

bluetoo

Rough_Rock
OEC diamonds in Whiteflash 8 prong white gold settings.jpg
And here are my OECs that are 1.30 tcw in the Whiteflash 8 prong setting (18k white gold). Love them and so comfortable to wear.

Attachments

• OEC diamonds in Whiteflash 8 prong white gold settings.jpg
    OEC diamonds in Whiteflash 8 prong white gold settings.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 17

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3543A8AD-D919-4B87-B818-B2006F86E517.jpeg 56C5EEAE-6B52-44C7-984E-78D4AC6537F5.jpeg I first had a pair of 1.3 ctw in the 8 prong. Knew I would upgrade so price helped me decide. I recently upgraded to 1.6ish and picked the 8 prong again because I loved them. I don’t think the 8 overwhelms this pair or the prior pair at all. Here are two quick photos

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re absolutely gorgeous! This is so helpful to see - I had scoured the studs thread (all 48 pages!) and couldn’t find a photo that gave a clear enough perspective. I’m now vacillating back towards the 8-prong. lol

if you plan to upgrade eventually, at least these are only $250 and you get them fast ;-)

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'd vote for the 6 prong and ask the bench to take care to ensure the prongs are velociraptor-style :)
I too have 1.26 ct studs and just love the size.
IMG_3773.JPG

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those points resonate with me more than you’ll ever know, @HappyNewLife :lol:

@tuckie - haven’t heard the term “velociraptor-style,” but I like it! :mrgreen2: Hope you won’t mind if I also use your photo to illustrate it to WF.

BFftw

Rough_Rock
Premium
How long I’ll have this pair before upgrading again is definitely weighing heavy on me too. I can’t help but think if it’s short, those funds could have theoretically gone towards the stones. So yea, I’m the crazy person that can’t help but calculate things like cost per wear. :nono:

I say get the 8. It's still a beautiful setting! You really can't go wrong. And it offers a bit of savings!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Quick update - Whiteflash confirmed my trade-in pair (Yay!) and the new set are on their way to being set. I ended up making a compromise. Since I’ve been leaning towards the 6-prong and also know these aren’t likely my final set, I decided go ahead with that style and opt for 18k white gold. So, spent a little and saved a little. lol

Now the waiting begins... I don’t normally wish time away at my age, but I can’t wait for them to be done! :pray::lol:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All!

WF made hump day a lot more bearable by delivering my new studs today! I was surprised to get the glamour shots last Friday saying my studs were done - that was a week ahead of schedule. However, with timing of shipments going out and transit time, they arrived today. Yay! :appl:

I’m thrilled with the six-prong setting and the upgrade to 1.26cts was perfect. I see a noticeable increase in size, but it’s not overwhelming. Still, these are such sparkle bombs! :eek2: More so than my last pair, IMO. I can’t tell if it’s due to the increased size or the change from bezel to prong settings. Perhaps it’s both.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their input and feedback on the setting - they both are truly fantastic options!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Almost forgot... here are a few quick pics I snapped. They don’t look so great because it’s really overcast and I took them in the car/office. I’ll have to do a proper photo shoot when the sun comes out.

0B92A249-A8EA-4CA6-B00B-C19EB692DEDF.jpeg 735CF7D8-5ED7-4063-AFC1-61DF5A458F6B.jpeg B6E43FBD-D685-4640-8EEE-A0C2717507F6.jpeg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost forgot... here are a few quick pics I snapped. They don’t look so great because it’s really overcast and I took them in the car/office. I’ll have to do a proper photo shoot when the sun comes out.

0B92A249-A8EA-4CA6-B00B-C19EB692DEDF.jpeg 735CF7D8-5ED7-4063-AFC1-61DF5A458F6B.jpeg B6E43FBD-D685-4640-8EEE-A0C2717507F6.jpeg

:love::love::love: Gorgeoussssss!!!!!!!!! Love the way they look on you!! :dance:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Those look like a wonderful size on your ears! I love how they compliment the second smaller stud!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@ac117, you’re so kind! I have to admit, I’ve been staring into any mirror or reflective surface more than usual today. I’m really pleased with how they turned out.

@the_mother_thing - had to give you a shoutout and ask if you see anything familiar? :mrgreen2: :P2

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Those look like a wonderful size on your ears! I love how they compliment the second smaller stud!

Thank you @metall - I am so fortunate to have found the second pair from a fabulous PSer. I love them together as well.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look beautiful on you - great choice!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They turned out gorgeous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results