shape
carat
color
clarity

White sapphire as diamond alternative

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
In case anyone was assessing whether to go with a white sapphire as an alternative to a diamond, I thought this might be kind of cool.

D9EFA01A-2830-4489-B5D3-39FE8BD2D4E2.jpeg 18B55744-0D57-4BC8-B5D5-15D681AF75AF.jpeg 278E5645-194A-41D0-81A6-9CD565AA52DC.jpeg 206ECF59-555E-405F-BC98-6523800A3AB7.jpeg

I’ve just taken possession of a little treasure from Premier Gemstones. And it happens to be a similar size to a white sapphire which I’ve got in my collection.

I took some photos side by side to compare. It was very interesting. You can see the cut of the diamond (GIA triple ex) is very different - although the sapphire is extremely well cut in itself. The difference in refractive index is also really clear.

The sapphire is colourless whilst the diamond is O-P very light brown (med blue flo). But even leaving aside the colour difference the character of diamond vs corundum is so evident when side by side.

I love my sapphire but it needs to be kept spotlessly clean of any dirt or oils to sparkle, whereas the diamond performs even when fingerprinted.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very helpful! I am always very wary when someone wants to use white sapphire as a diamond alternative. It simply wont sparkle the same way due to lower RI, etc. I would definitely suggest a natural zircon rather than sapphire to get the fiery effect (or a lab diamond, moissanite, etc.)

Too often I think people assume that white sapphire is going to be more similar to a diamond than it actually is.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread idea.

You didn't state which is which, but I do see more color in the lower one.
Am I therefore correct assuming the lower one is the diamond?

If so I do notice much more contrast in the diamond (perhaps that's the result of cutting angles not IR) but perhaps someone like @KarlK could answer a question or two ...

If a diamond and a sapphire were of identical diameter, weight, clarity, dimensions and cut pattern would they look identical side by side in a still photo?

I would guess no because of the two materials' different indexes of refraction.
IIRC, IR determines the amount of change of direction a light ray experiences when it enters, exits or, when traveling IN the stone and bounces off a facet inside the material ... so cutting them identically would result in a different look in a still picture.

Therefore, let me ask another question ...
If the two stones were cut to the angles that took into account their different IR with the goal of identical face up appearance would they then look identical face up in a still pic?
If not, how would you describe the appearance difference?

Last edited:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Yes the lower one is the diamond. A classic MRB cut.

The sapphire actually has more facets - it is native cut but more along the lines of a Portuguese - the additional facets designed to confer additional scintillation, which works - as long as it’s 100% clean.

I imagine if the sapphire was cut as a classic MRB it would look pretty flat.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
My sister-in-law has a cushion-cut white sapphire engagement ring. As sapphires tend to, the stone has a lovely glow, as opposed to the brilliance of a diamond. It also takes on a bluish tint in a certain lighting that gives it a lot of character. But it doesn't look like a diamond, and it must be cleaned constantly for it to sparkle. If you want the appearance of a diamond, I would not recommend white sapphire. It should be bought for its own merits.

Here's a photo of her ring:

white-sapphire.jpg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
@Vogue I agree. I’m going to set mine with blue sapphire sides and appreciate it for it’s own unique properties rather than wishing it was as sparkly as a diamond!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dont know anyone who has been really happy when getting white sapphire as a diamond simulant.
They are just to different.
I know several people that love white sapphire for being white sapphier and what that means for looks.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have one fun silver ring with white saphire side stones
They throw a lot of blue, not the rainbows of a diamond
I had a bit of fun one day in the sun with my loup compairing them to a diamond

They look disgusting when dirty and they get dirty quick

I know someone who got one as an ER and she was way too grubby for it

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is going into the left over halo (from the sapphire). Waste not, want not.
I particularly love the facetting, it’s like an OEC, from the gem haul (of course). 4CB8B12D-7106-43C7-BED8-9CF963079ED5.jpeg 86BE75E1-515E-4B0A-BD3F-321B17C7904A.jpeg DD6673ED-C286-4901-896A-BBF1B7ACEE0D.jpeg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
That is gorgeous! The halo really suits it.

I am debating how to set mine. I’ve got two little blue rounds on the way as sides but not sure if to keep it simple or add halos.

9DCFBB0D-F5B3-42E0-8293-2BDD296EA484.jpeg B438D088-37BE-4331-8E75-340E64DA586A.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the idea of white saphires with blue ones

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
Hi, @Ionysis
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you ever made the trilogy ring with the center white sapphire? I just ordered a white sapphire to put into a trilogy with my side blue sapphires just like your pic above. I had the ring made for my center Diamond bit took it out to put into another setting. I have been wearing it with a cz, while debating on what I should put in. Ultimately, I decided against the lab diamond and got an unheated white sapphire. I have never seen a white sapphire in person, but I got it for itself (its rarity and beauty) and not as a diamond replacement so to speak. Was wondering if you have ever created this ring and if so, do you have pics? Here is my trilogy ring with the diamond from before. F1983577-BC0D-4C3F-A43D-09631597188C.jpeg

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
Karl says it all in his post. White sapphire is a poor substitute for a diamond, but is a beautiful gem in its own right.

Oh my Goodness, the famous @Wink !!! I agree it's not the same as a diamond, but I am so curious to see what it looks like in my trilogy. I am hoping I made the right decision to get the white sapphire instead of a lab. My blue sapphires are unheated and so will the white one be, so I like the idea that they are rare and precious in their own category. Even though it won't be as sparkly, reflecting back light, one of the things that attracts me to jewelry is its rarity.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh my Goodness, the famous @Wink !!!

I was going to humbly reply, but now I will have a hard time actually being humble...

It sounds to me like you are getting the white sapphire to enjoy as a white sapphire, already knowing it will not look like a diamond, and thus, not being disappointed.

The important thing to remember is if you do not like it when you get it, you can return it. If, as you are thinking, you love it, then you can proudly wear it and lovingly clean it to share it with its unique beauty.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I once bought my DIL what was supposed to be aquamarine. It was totally colorless. The cut was amazing. It looked so much like a diamond. I think it was goshenite..a colorless beryl. I returned it but it was super pretty!

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
I once bought my DIL what was supposed to be aquamarine. It was totally colorless. The cut was amazing. It looked so much like a diamond. I think it was goshenite..a colorless beryl. I returned it but it was super pretty!

Thanks for sharing. I never heard of a goshenite before. Will have to google that!

Peary

Shiny_Rock
Karl says it all in his post. White sapphire is a poor substitute for a diamond, but is a beautiful gem in its own right.

Hi Wink! What do you think is the best substitute for diamond?

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The very best I have ever enjoyed, is a super well cut CZ. The only problem with them is they are an 8.5 or so in hardness and are quickly damaged in normal wear.

The next best, according only to me, is a well cut moissanite. They can be very beautiful and fool a lot of people, even though they are doubly refractive.

To those who think I should have said Lab Grown Diamonds, I do not, because they are diamonds, not a substitute at all in my book. Cut well, which most are not, yet, they are just incredible.

Peary

Shiny_Rock
Not wink, but I would start your own thread. Diamond is diamond, and there isn't a great substitute beyond lab diamond (which is a diamond and identical other than being lab grown)

Ah I see. I was overthinking it. I took “poor substitute” to mean there are then “good substitutes”. But noted to interpret it more along the lines of “none”.

So back to this thread, I had thought the darker stone was the sapphire but reading more in more detail I was wrong. I saw the pic of someone’s SIL’s ring and that pic is very evident! Big difference.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i dont think white saphires are good for the average Joe (Jane)
as unlike the laddies and gents of PS not everyone cleans their rings with such regularly
and white saphires need to be super clean to shine and sparkle
i have a silver peridot ring with white saphire side stones i brought for fun
i had a work mate given an amethyst (her favurite stone) and white saphire ER -but she was really just too gruby for it

Last edited:

cmsmarks

Shiny_Rock
I have a beautiful (white), clear zircon which throws off beautiful fire; it is set in Sterling Silver. I am not using it as a 'substitute' for a diamond; not set anything like what an engagement ring would be. But it would make an amazing substitute.

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
So here is the white sapphire! I don’t know if if I love it. I do like it, but it was still much greyer than what I expected. It can grow on me but still debating to put in a lab instead! Here’s some pics if anyone wants to see. 9F288A3B-9C49-40C4-83B2-787E0869A465.jpeg

Attachments

• 3F7DCBDE-6D03-4CF9-907A-D47A75707AC8.jpeg
    3F7DCBDE-6D03-4CF9-907A-D47A75707AC8.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 5E056A6E-BEDF-4945-9EE2-BA31E0012EF7.jpeg
    5E056A6E-BEDF-4945-9EE2-BA31E0012EF7.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 85F06F34-E09E-46C4-8735-2C820FE2E75F.jpeg
    85F06F34-E09E-46C4-8735-2C820FE2E75F.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 197

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I think that would look amazing! The three stones have a great proportion together.

I actually ended up making earrings with my blue pair and a solitaire pendant with the sapphire. But I don’t wear it that much.

As people have said above, the sapphire needs to be cleaned religiously and I tend to “finger” my pendants to keep them straight on the chain which immediately dulls the sapphire with my greasy fingerprints. I think a ring would have been a better option to be honest.

I think I will keep it though and perhaps give it to my daughter in a couple of years.

Please do post photos of your finished ring, am really keen to see the final result.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
@Tigerlilyrosepetal thanks for posting your white sapphire.

For anyone reading the thread in the future… Agree that there is no substitute for diamond. If you want a diamond and are on a budget, get lab instead of earth.

No disrespect to anyone else but I am not a fan of white sapphire. It does not twinkle and there is next to no fire.

I got a lab white sapphire once for the purpose of getting an unusual cut that is not good in a small size and according to the vendor takes 3x rough. Too big for my budget even in LGD. If this post concentrated on the ring I would post it elsewhere but since we are talking about white sapphire vs. damonds, I’ll post it here:

0AAEEFC9-D953-4925-AE56-321CBADE902C.jpeg

If you want fiery sparkle for daily wear, go with moissanite — unless you want crushed ice, in which case the double refraction will make it look like thawed mush instead of crisp ice. As much as I love PS, Reddit has more thorough information on moissanite so check them out. Don‘t buy the cheapest you can find.

If CZ lasted more than a few wears, I would be covered in it. :lol::lol::lol: Same with sphene; although I do not love the green, there are lighter colors and orange browns available.

7A3B9962-ADC0-491C-BB03-49AD2649051B.jpeg

Anybody have experience with white spinel? I see some on Etsy but have other things to experiment on at the moment.

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
I think that would look amazing! The three stones have a great proportion together.

I actually ended up making earrings with my blue pair and a solitaire pendant with the sapphire. But I don’t wear it that much.

As people have said above, the sapphire needs to be cleaned religiously and I tend to “finger” my pendants to keep them straight on the chain which immediately dulls the sapphire with my greasy fingerprints. I think a ring would have been a better option to be honest.

I think I will keep it though and perhaps give it to my daughter in a couple of years.

Please do post photos of your finished ring, am really keen to see the final result.

Hi @Ionysis
I actually ended up returning the sapphire. It looked beautiful at certain times but it also looked very gray at others. I don’t think I was expecting just how 46A4F65E-E8FE-4793-BD2F-3495901EE8A5.jpeg grey it looked, since I had put a f SI2 in before. I ended up getting a E VSS2 lab diamond and putting it in. I think it looks gorgeous and am happy with the end result.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results