shape
carat
color
clarity

White paper on camera = bright photo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
I just read a tip about placing a sheet of white paper in front of the camera (cutting a small hole for the lense)... I took a few photos and wanted to share!! It really makes a difference!!

I think that in general you do not see a head shadow on rings unless you''re really leaning into it, so the white paper helps capture normal day-to-day sparkle.

Give it a try!

(WITHOUT WHITE PAPER... WITH WHITE PAPER)

leodiamondpaper.jpg

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Cool! I''ll have to try it once I wake up a bit more.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll have to try that this weekend! How big a hole did you cut for the lens? Big enough for the entire lens to fit in?

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 8:11:33 AM
Author: katiedid
I''ll have to try that this weekend! How big a hole did you cut for the lens? Big enough for the entire lens to fit in?
That''s what I was wondering..a pinhole??

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
Big enough so none of the image had white paper around it... For my camera it was about the size of the nickel...

I think if there is too much black camera showing it would defeat the purpose, but a little black adds contrast. For people with H&A stones it might make the arrows more noticable....

MMT

Ideal_Rock
What a difference, thanks for the tip
35.gif
35.gif

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
Amy--Wow! What a difference the white paper makes! Just want you to know that I really enjoy looking at pictures, your Leo diamond is really gorgeous!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Wow that is a really cool tip, I had a lot of trouble getting photos of my ring, will have to try this, cheers!

L.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
wow1.gif
Thanks for the tip!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This is pretty cool, I haven''t tried this since I got my macro lens. A pinhole basically forces your camera to focus into a smaller area, so it kind of works like macro but...not. Hard to explain lol.

The white paper basically just helps the diamond pick up the color. Because if you cut the size of a nickel into it, then your lens isn''t even seeing the paper - it''s all about color.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Cool trick!! I''ll have to try it. Did you just use a regular point & shoot camera??

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Nice! haha You are a true PS''er! Way to be!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a point and shoot camera?
Do you cover the autofocus sensor on the face of the camera?

I''m going to try your technique!
Thanks for the photo tip!

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I tried it for my pics and it worked wonders! Good tip!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
So cool, can''t wait to try!! If anyone else has "before/after" pics, please share
1.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a difference...very cool!
Thanks!

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another before and after. Not the greatests pics, but you can definitely see a difference!

Here is the before...

ehrbe.jpg

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
After...

ehraf.jpg

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
EHR - it looks gorgeous!!!!!!

blackwave

Rough_Rock
Just thought I''d throw my $0.02 in here since I have a little photography background.

What you''re seeing is light reflected into the diamond and brightening it, like what a standard white reflector would do for a portrait of a person. It doesn''t necessarily have to surround the lens like that, but it should be close to the lens so the light goes in straight and not at a big angle.

White foam core board (cut to 8x10" or so) would work brilliantly for this application. I''ve used them as makeshift reflectors for all sorts of things, and they''re stiff so the person taking the photo can easily hold it with one hand. It would work best with the reflector near your face while the light is coming towards you (late afternoon light works best, or early morning!)

lettherebelight.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results