shape
carat
color
clarity

White or Ivory?

Ivory dress... so, white or ivory shirt for Guys?

• Ivory

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • White

• Show the results

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t vote yet, because to me it depends on other stuff. Will your table linens be white or ivory? Flower girl dress? Any other details? If you are doing other details in white, I would definitely say white. If you do the guys'' shirts in ivory, other details may need to be ivory as well.

mjso

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:51:46 PM
Author: meresal

Date: 2/25/2009 3:50:46 PM
Author: mjso
When I ordered my dress, the woman who owns the bridal salon made a big deal about not getting ivory shirts for the guys. My dress is a Casablanca and in the Ivory color, when I tried it on I couldn''t really tell that it wasn''t white, so it might be a lighter ivory, or perhaps skin tone plays into that as well.

She showed me a bunch of pro-photo pictures that she had gotten from brides in Ivory dresses along with their grooms. Some had white shirts, some had ivory shirts. The Ivory shirts definitely looked darker than the Ivory dresses and I couldn''t tell the difference between the white shirts and the Ivory dresses.

I''d say it partially depends on the dress/designer and fabric. I think some ivory dresses look way more ''non-white'' than others. I purposely didn''t tell the MW guy that my dress is Ivory because I didn''t want him insisting that we get Ivory shirts. The guys are going to wear white shirts and I''ll have my ''ivory'' dress.
What about the vests and tie? Did you order white then?
The groomsmen are wearing Navy Blue vests and ties to match the girls Navy Blue dresses.

FI originally was going to do a classic black vest and bowtie, because he felt like all white would be bad for his skin tone. (He''s very very pale and thought all white would wash him out) But then he saw a mannequin with the "Bellagio" vest and tie, which is basically silver and that''s what he''s going to wear. My dress has swarovski (sp?) crystals all of the way down the back, so his silver should match with my shimmer I guess.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
This topic comes up a lot. Here is an old thread, with similar opinions and two visual aids.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Meresal,

I think it depends on how ivory your gown actually is. For example, my gown was "Ivory", however, it looks white in pictures and in person unless you hold it up against a "white" dress. When I bought my dress I learned from the designer that all of the white dresses you see in magazines are actually ivory rather than white, because it photographs so much better. I went through this same dilemma and my DH wore a white shirt and white bow tie and it matched perfectly. Ivory, even a new clean ivory shirt, would have looked dingy next to my dress. However, there are some dresses that are truly ivory, like Musey''s, in which case I might be more inclined to do the ivory. I''ll try to post a pic of me and DH as an example.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I would say stick with the ivory shirt, you can get nice ones that don''t look dirty.

I personally want to look like I am wearing a ''white wedding dress'' but chose ivory as it complemented my skin better. If you are happy having your gown stand out as ivory or off white, then you can go with the white shirts, but if you want it to all blend in and still look clean, I would go for the ivory shirt.

That said, when my best friend got married, the boys discovered at 1am the morning before the wedding that the suit hire forgot to include their ivory shirts (picked especially to match my BFs ivory gown). They had from 8am - 9.15am on a Saturday morning (over 2 hours away from home) to find ivory shits. The boys ended up wearing white and the bride didn''t even notice (we didn''t dare tell her) until her hubby got into the car after the ceremony and asked if his white shirt looked alright.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 5:53:55 PM
Author: Sabine
I didn''t vote yet, because to me it depends on other stuff. Will your table linens be white or ivory? Flower girl dress? Any other details? If you are doing other details in white, I would definitely say white. If you do the guys'' shirts in ivory, other details may need to be ivory as well.
Our colors are Black & Ivory, instead of the traditional Black & White. Though I''m not sure if we have decided between white or ivory linens (White is provided, and Ivory would be extra...). To be honest, I don''t think anyone will notice color of table linens in a darker room. We are doing all White/Ivory flowers. (Hydrangea, roses, gardenia (his bout will be a gardenia), white stock, and some saraha roses.)

LOL, it could really go either way... I just worry that the Ivory will look more yellowish than off-white. That seems to be the consensus of the MW shirts, so far.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 6:59:39 PM

Date: 2/25/2009 4:51:46 PM
Author: meresal

Date: 2/25/2009 3:50:46 PM
When I ordered my dress, the woman who owns the bridal salon made a big deal about not getting ivory shirts for the guys. My dress is a Casablanca and in the Ivory color, when I tried it on I couldn't really tell that it wasn't white, so it might be a lighter ivory, or perhaps skin tone plays into that as well.

She showed me a bunch of pro-photo pictures that she had gotten from brides in Ivory dresses along with their grooms. Some had white shirts, some had ivory shirts. The Ivory shirts definitely looked darker than the Ivory dresses and I couldn't tell the difference between the white shirts and the Ivory dresses.

I'd say it partially depends on the dress/designer and fabric. I think some ivory dresses look way more 'non-white' than others. I purposely didn't tell the MW guy that my dress is Ivory because I didn't want him insisting that we get Ivory shirts. The guys are going to wear white shirts and I'll have my 'ivory' dress.
What about the vests and tie? Did you order white then?
The groomsmen are wearing Navy Blue vests and ties to match the girls Navy Blue dresses.

FI originally was going to do a classic black vest and bowtie, because he felt like all white would be bad for his skin tone. (He's very very pale and thought all white would wash him out) But then he saw a mannequin with the 'Bellagio' vest and tie, which is basically silver and that's what he's going to wear. My dress has swarovski (sp?) crystals all of the way down the back, so his silver should match with my shimmer I guess.
mjso: I'm sorry, I just assumed, and was obvoiusly very mistaken
41.gif
. I think the silver sounds like it will look great with you dress!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
White white white!!!! I think Ivory always looks yellow.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 11:12:39 PM
Author: FrekeChild
White white white!!!! I think Ivory always looks yellow.
This may sound like a dumb question, and I am rather tried... but I would need to go with white vest and tie if I changed back to a white shirt, correct?

ETA: I have to apologize for that question. I just came to my senses, of course it would all be white. Unless I go with musey and switch to black vests
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results