shape
carat
color
clarity

ivory vs. white shirts revisited w/ tie complication

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i looked through past threads, but couldn't really come to a conclusion......

my dress is light ivory (same as NEL's!), the GM's will be in black tuxes, vests and ties. FI will be in a black tux w/ white pinstripes, a black shirt, black vest and an _____ tie.

do we do ivory or white? i much prefer white, but that dreaded word "dingy" is ringing in my ears. i think that the effect we're going for with stefan's tux will be lost with an ivory tie... and the ivory shirts, etc just looked so dark in the shop. we could do ivory shirts for the guys, but then would that clash with stefan if he got a white tie?

will it make a difference at all? for those of you who had an ivory dress and white shirts, could you tell in pictures?

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mimzy, I''m so glad you posted this. My dress is also Ivory, and I''m not sure if FI and GMs should wear Ivory shirts so that my dress doesn''t look, er, dirty in comparison.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
I personally don''t like the look of ivory shirts. My dress was dark ivory, my husband''s shirt was bright white, and on top of that, his pocket square was a slightly different, warmer white. It all looked fine. Stay with the white shirts and white ties that you prefer, and it will look great.

urseberrywhites.jpg

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
urseberry - thank you SO much for posting a picture! makes it much easier to compare
1.gif

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome, mimzy! Let us know what you decide.

ETA: I was at another wedding this weekend (gay wedding, so no bride's dress to worry about) and the grooms and groomsmen wore black tuxes, white shirts, ivory ties, and ivory vests. Female wedding party members (groomsmaids?) were in brown dresses. I thought it all looked very classy.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We spent FOREVER looking for ivory shirts that did not look "dingy." Yuck, yuck, yuck. To complicate things more... groomsman #2 had outgrown his suit a bit, and needed to wear a french-cuffed shirt with the slightly-too-short sleeves of his jacket. So then we were looking for Ivory--NOT white--shirts, that WEREN'T dingy, and that had french cuffs.

OY.

But, I'm glad we kept looking, because we found PERFECT shirts at this store: Cafe Cotón. Just a soft off-white, not a dirty-looking ivory.

They only have locations in San Fran, Beverly Hills and Dallas.... so it may not work for you if you're not in/near one of those cities. Unless you want to just take my word for it and order from them
3.gif
They are having a sale right now, their shirts are usually $90 but we got ours for $67, and used the extra $$ to get the shirts perfectly tailored
5.gif

Wait, are we talking about rentals, here?

ETA: I should disclaim that one of my BIGGEST pet peeves is colors that are close but not matching. For me, colors need to either match perfectly (this coming from a girl who does not dress or accessorize in any matchy-matchy way... I know it's weird) or just complement each other. No close-but-no-cigar shades for me. Ivory next to white would drive me absolutely B-O-N-K-E-R-S!!!!!!!!!!!

split_shank

Shiny_Rock
I was one of the past topic posters on this subject, and after we decided to go with white shirts with my ''diamond white'' dress, it totally became an afterthought. I honestly completely forgot about the whole dilemma after that up until you brought it up. I didn''t notice it at the wedding, and certainly didn''t notice it in our pictures!!!

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
9.gif
at all the different responses. Looks to me like the reason we can never come to a consensus on this issue is because it boils down to personal preference. I can tell you that none of my guests commented on the color of my dress at all. During the actual day, you''ll be too busy to worry about the color difference. However, if it''s something you''ll notice in pictures afterwards, it may be worth it to get ivory shirts and ties.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
My dress was "diamond white" and my hubby wore an ivory shirt and vest. I happened to have a swatch of my dress when we went to the tux shop, and the white tux shirt made MY dress look dingy. We couldn''t have that (of course, hehehe), so although the ivory shirts didn''t match exactly, they complimented the dress much better. I think I would go with an ivory tie personally.

Here''s a pic to show you diamond white & ivory shirt/vest/tie combo.

DSG3752345.jpg

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 9:27:17 PM
Author: musey
We spent FOREVER looking for ivory shirts that did not look ''dingy.'' Yuck, yuck, yuck. To complicate things more... groomsman #2 had outgrown his suit a bit, and needed to wear a french-cuffed shirt with the slightly-too-short sleeves of his jacket. So then we were looking for Ivory--NOT white--shirts, that WEREN''T dingy, and that had french cuffs.

OY.

But, I''m glad we kept looking, because we found PERFECT shirts at this store: Cafe Cotón. Just a soft off-white, not a dirty-looking ivory.

They only have locations in San Fran, Beverly Hills and Dallas.... so it may not work for you if you''re not in/near one of those cities. Unless you want to just take my word for it and order from them
3.gif
They are having a sale right now, their shirts are usually $90 but we got ours for $67, and used the extra $$ to get the shirts perfectly tailored
5.gif

Wait, are we talking about rentals, here?

ETA: I should disclaim that one of my BIGGEST pet peeves is colors that are close but not matching. For me, colors need to either match perfectly (this coming from a girl who does not dress or accessorize in any matchy-matchy way... I know it''s weird) or just complement each other. No close-but-no-cigar shades for me. Ivory next to white would drive me absolutely B-O-N-K-E-R-S!!!!!!!!!!!

haha thanks musey! we are doing rentals though (stefan''s friends are all super poor students still and we don''t have the budget to get FI a tux of his own!)

i am/was that obsessed with the different shades too! everything had to be SUPER dark red and super lime green for the wedding - i was NOT having ''christmas'' red and green wedding! every one thought i was crazy because i was dismissing things because they weren''t exactly the right shades. then we had to go and pick a church that had bright red carpeting and who''s secretary called to inform me that the alter area would be filled with carnations that we would be free to use for the ceremony
14.gif
. needless to say, i''ve had to loosen the grip just a bit
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2008 9:41:26 PM
Author: urseberry
Looks to me like the reason we can never come to a consensus on this issue is because it boils down to personal preference.
Oh, of course.

And people will obviously have varying degrees of concern over different things. For me, I happen to have a history with the close-color pet peeve (probably a result of having to deal with years of pulling different peoples' uniforms, costumes, etc. together), so of course it'll translate over to the wedding. But do my flowers have to be 'just right'? No. Did I need to pick my MOH's dress so I'd know just what it would look like? Nuh-uh. Do I need to have an extensive play/do-not-play list for the DJ so he's playing music that's just what we'd play? Absolutely not.

But this color thing... that was a non-negotiable for me!! I know I'm a weirdo, but mimzy did ask if it would make a difference at all... to me, it does, so I figured I'd post!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results