shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold or yellow for demantoid

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Yo guys. Am jonesing for something green and no a salad won't do. I have been putting the word out for Demantoids and Tsavorites. Both stunning in my opinion. Anyhoo, I have a question that only people who have seen Demantoid in person can answer.

I want to set the stone in either a ring or earrings but am unsure which-yellow or white gold would flatter it more. What are your recommendations. I searched online but so few demantoid pieces are out there and as you all know on the computer screen it is too hard to tell.

Am hoping for a good one with vivid green and only a bit of yellow and med tone to show the fire.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2006 5:09:07 PM
Author:Kimberly
Yo guys. Am jonesing for something green and no a salad won''t do. I have been putting the word out for Demantoids and Tsavorites. Both stunning in my opinion. Anyhoo, I have a question that only people who have seen Demantoid in person can answer.

I want to set the stone in either a ring or earrings but am unsure which-yellow or white gold would flatter it more. What are your recommendations. I dearched online but so few demantoid pieces are out there and as you all know on the computer screen it is too hard to tell.

Am hoping for a good one with vivid green and only a bit of yellow to show the fire.

Yellowish demantoid => YG, green one => white. For me. The lesson comes from two sources: one, silver and platinum topped old Russian jewelry with demantoid garnets on white base, and a certain designer (name?) line of jewelry showing yellowish demantoid in granulated YG. I like both, so... there''s no clear cut for every color of demantoid garnet for me.

I can''t remember now which designer makes gold granulation & demantoid jewelry... But it was this one line of small earrings and pendants that demonstrated outright how mice the yellowish (cheap) dems look in yellow gold. Maybe I can track down the name.
38.gif

There''s one thing...

You say " vivid green and only a bit of yellow to show the fire." The greener the more expensive, but it is not the color but the intensity of it that makes dispersion more or less obvious. From dark green and brown to light yellowish green and mint green... this rule seems to be confirmed. And it is not just my opinion - I''ve heard the same from folk with allot more experience. After all, this is also a matter of cut, and I have surely not seen every size shape and color there is. I''d wish
9.gif

It so happens that the lighter demantoid garnets are the cheap, yellowish African ones. Not that I find them more appealing than the green... but they are fiery alright. The dark greens may be the most highly priced - but the deep color swamps fire allot.

The best fire cracker demantoid garnets (IMO) might be some light mint-green ones. I have not seen too many - and only one larger than 1 ct in this color: an Italian garnet. I doubt the color was unique to the (now extinct) locality, as there are plenty of smaller mint demantoids around.

''Hest'' has some super greens around here and had inspected a bunch of top shelf demantoid in order to build her stash
5.gif
. Hope she happens to pass by on this thread!

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm sometimes I have a hard time following you. I take it to you both metals are fine.

I only know what I know about Demantoids from tidbits I have read online which is not much and I think I got something from Rich Hughes that said a bit of yellow is nice to show fire so that is why I said that . Perhaps it said lighter. hmm I mean little bit of course like 10-15 %. I have choosen a round shape and requested a small table for sparkle factor.

I don't think it is a cheapy. I asked my jewel dude for a small one of best quality. Telling him quality was most imp!

I simply dunno if yellow gold will look nicer or white as I know the stone will have a smidge of yellow and perhaps that may clash with one more than the other. Hmmmm

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
i like that middle one!!!! It says buy me!!! Opps! Photo curtesy of Pala gems and Richard Hughes lovely wife.

demantoid_suite.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then, he''s right!

And if you did send the order to Pala... there really is nothing left to say here than fingers crossed and pictures please
28.gif

Nice picture... and very nice stones! Btw, the ''mint'' green would have been like the cushion at the right of the center stone these - or even lighter.

Wait a minute: was I dreaming about you getting a benitoite and a color change something ?
10.gif

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
I bought a benetiote. It will be made into a pendant 1.17 carat. I love it. It is unusual and rare and I like that.

Put the alex on hold as I want to see them in person.

Demantoid desire replaced Alex for now. :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
re green and what metal color: whatever you want, Kimberly!!!!! wait until you get the stone and decide. we all have our own perception of what we like and i say go with yours.

um, did you post a picture of that benitoite?

back to green: have you decided how you want it set? that could make a difference re which metal. and i agree about that green one in the middle of the picture above!

movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, congratulations! can you post the picture here, please?

eta: richard h. did you mean the picture of the blue or the picture of the green? obviously, if its the green, no need to repost in this thread....but if you meant the blue stone, then please post asap!

movie zombie

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Well that all depends rather I buy one or two. If one I was thinking of a ring with an antique setting. If two earrings. I have not yet seen photos yet to examine the greeeeenesss. I posted a pic of the bene but it was the same one on Scott''s site so I don''t think it does it justice. It is quite a chubby pear.

Plan on posting another when I get it set. :)

nicky newark

Rough_Rock
34.gif
34.gif

Date: 3/2/2006 1:32:08 AM
Author: Richard Hughes
I liked that picture so much I married the photographer
18.gif
Hi Richard- I was just on a website called" gemsdb "under demantoids for sale and your exact photo is being used to list their crap. Since I learned so much from your book(signed copy is on my coffee table) i thought I would give you a heads up.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Rich Hughes has a book Too! Do tell. Here is the bene. It looks better in person. Photo By W. Scott Forrest.

bene117.jpg

nicky newark

Rough_Rock
Very nice! I am considering the 1.30 round on Scott''s site. I have purchase several of his stones; always a positive experience.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2006 5:16:56 PM
Author: Kimberly

Rich Hughes has a book Too! Do tell.

The ruby & sapphire bible! Lucky girl... that's one darn book I was sorry to have read (because re-reading can't be as good as the first round
34.gif
). Sorry... just imagine my face like one of those teenage fans of some loud band
9.gif

Online, at:

www.ruby-sapphire.com

Nice pear!
36.gif

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
I saw the round. Personally I found it a tad dark in person. The trillants he has are quite lovely though. Nice Med blue. If you buy online you can return if but not if you buy in person.
7.gif

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Please stop posting that pala picture!

God. It makes me want to buy a demantoid, and I don''t even like green. I certainly can''t afford to like expensive green things.

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/2/2006 2:39:51 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Congratulations.

Many thanks. And thanks to all of you for the kind messages. I apologize if I don''t respond with lightning speed. Only check these forums every few days.

In terms of my wife, I am blessed. She''s even sweeter than her photos. Whenever I think about her, I think of a Scritti Politti song: Sweetest Girl in all the World. Like so many from Thailand, always laughing, always smiling. This is priceless. And she is also an excellent gemologist. A dream come true.

I would post her photo, but it would blow her cover. Mild-mannered Thai-Chinese-American who is increasingly incensed at US politics. In order to maintain equilibrium and cover at home, I recently shot our television. Who needs the grief?

Regarding the benitoite, that really looks like a spectacular piece. Benitoite is a wonderful gem. Congratulations!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2006 11:55:18 PM
Author: Richard Hughes
Like so many from Thailand, always laughing, always smiling.
Ahhh, a treasure. A pearl of great price.

The universe has chosen to smile upon you.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Lately, I''ve been looking down at my vivid green tourmaline set in white-gold and thinking, "Hmm... rose gold...?"

Just an idea.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
What is rose gold? Lovely Avatar btw!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I agree with velouriaL, i would go with Rose gold. It's a hint of a coppery color Kimberly, i made adjustments to the colors of this ring according to my best monitor assumpitions for you.

KimberlyRoseGold.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
That looks great... I suppose there isn''t a way to get all the rhodium plating off white gold and then dip it in a rose gold-toned substance, is there? Probably not, huh?

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Wow thanks so much. I am a photo shop idiot. This gives me a good ideal of what will look good. Heck they all do!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 9:05:51 PM
Author: velouriaL
Lately, I''ve been looking down at my vivid green tourmaline set in white-gold and thinking, ''Hmm... rose gold...?''

Just an idea.
hope this helps:

http://www.whitegold.co.uk/whatisrosegold.html

i''ve read online re silver being dipped in rose gold......

movie zombie

ps i''m particularly fond of 18K rose/red gold...i''ve seen 19K rose/red gold at union street jewelers in sf.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Ohhhh Zombie. Thanks so much. I am allergic to nickel and have no clue white gold had nickel in it! Gee what to do as I don''t want plat for anything but my ering. Simply cause it is soooo pricey.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
GRRRRR Can''t find any nice demantoids!!! I did the sourcing thing ang ugly wugly stones came up. Yuk.

Hey is heating a bad thing for this stone r is that considered an acceptable enhancement.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kimberly,

don't give up! take your time! last time i checked, richard wise had some and they looked great.....and the price tag was great.....
emteeth.gif

movie zombie

eta: some fun info for garnet lovers see http://www.gemsociety.org/info/gems/Garnet.htm

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2006 9:21:12 PM
Author: Kimberly
GRRRRR Can''t find any nice demantoids!!! I did the sourcing thing ang ugly wugly stones came up. Yuk.

Hey is heating a bad thing for this stone r is that considered an acceptable enhancement.

Acceptable.. I would guess more so than it is for sapphire (for example) because for demantoid garnet this ''heating'' word didn''t came to mean such a variety of more or less invaive heating as it is the case with sapphire. So the reputation of the treatment is still OK. Better w/o, but it shouldn''t be much of a pain.

Isn''t there a pair of dems in the ''Picture Gallery here'' ? The picture looks charming - were those the no goods?
40.gif

Some 4mm are listed down here.

Is the other green garnet still in the running? perhaps the right tsavorite pair may pop up in the meantime.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Kim, so you *have* contacted Pala Gems, right? They really have a large inventory. Plus, many of the smaller stones aren't photographed, so you and your jeweler should speak to Josh.

In addition, lighter stones can show more fire, basically because they won't mask colored light as much, but all my stones are med-dark green and they show a remarkable amount of fire. I looked at a number of stones, and even ones similiarly hued could show different amounts of fire, and some lighter stones actually showed less fire than the darker ones!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results